Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

MGW or Barton

Search this Thread

Old 5/31/13, 02:27 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MGW or Barton

I would like to get in put on this as I am going to be getting one of them. Pros and cons to both would be great.

Thanks
Old 5/31/13, 08:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lots of threads out there on this. I will be going with the MGW.
Old 5/31/13, 11:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They are both really good shifters. Except the mgw replaces the shifter box
Old 6/1/13, 12:16 AM
Banned

Barton replaces the shifter.

MGW replaces the shifter and the shift box.

pretty cut and dry. Depends on how *complete* you want to upgrade here.
Old 6/1/13, 02:25 AM
Cobra Member

MGW gets lots of thumbs up for a reason. Don't let the 400$ price tag get in the way. Watch the vids on their web site. One of the most satisfying mods you can do yourself. Your reward is a rock solid shifter that feels just right.
Old 6/1/13, 03:35 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ace72ace
MGW gets lots of thumbs up for a reason. Don't let the 400$ price tag get in the way. Watch the vids on their web site. One of the most satisfying mods you can do yourself. Your reward is a rock solid shifter that feels just right.
This^^^
Best money I've spent.
Old 6/1/13, 07:05 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by TheDivaDanielle
Barton replaces the shifter.

MGW replaces the shifter and the shift box.

pretty cut and dry. Depends on how *complete* you want to upgrade here.
Pretty sure you can get the barton to replace the bracket errrrrr "shift box!?!" As well.
Old 6/1/13, 09:35 AM
Bullitt Member

MGW or bust
Old 6/1/13, 01:18 PM
Bullitt Member

For comparison purposes, does the Barton two-post bracket enhance the stock shifter or not?
Old 6/1/13, 02:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Missouri Hoss
For comparison purposes, does the Barton two-post bracket enhance the stock shifter or not?
Oh yes. I heard thats its 10x better then the stock flimsy pos shifter bracket
Old 6/1/13, 02:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by joey8
Oh yes. I heard thats its 10x better then the stock flimsy pos shifter bracket
Thanks, Joey. I thought I would give stock the benefit of a doubt and try it with the two-post bracket. I can always spring for a shifter change if stock doesn't suit me. Frankly, I've ripped my GT quite a few times and haven't had any missed gear incidents, except during my initial "training" period in getting used to a stick again. The 3rd and 4th centering was a little odd to get used to, but now, I'm a **** jerking pro.

Last edited by Missouri Hoss; 6/1/13 at 02:44 PM.
Old 6/1/13, 03:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks, Joey. I thought I would give stock the benefit of a doubt and try it with the two-post bracket. I can always spring for a shifter change if stock doesn't suit me. Frankly, I've ripped my GT quite a few times and haven't had any missed gear incidents, except during my initial "training" period in getting used to a stick again. The 3rd and 4th centering was a little odd to get used to, but now, I'm a **** jerking pro.
First off semper fi! Secondly, I have had the Barton 2-post and now I have the MGW shifter, don't waste your time/money on the 2-post. I'm not saying it because the 2-post is bad, it's actually pretty good. But the MGW shifter is amazing. The stock shifter has a moderately short throw, but the 2-post adds a bit more nvh than the whole MGW does. And the MGW has a shorter throw and is more stiff, and is just all around better.
Old 6/1/13, 03:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by grabberblue 5.0
First off semper fi! Secondly, I have had the Barton 2-post and now I have the MGW shifter, don't waste your time/money on the 2-post. I'm not saying it because the 2-post is bad, it's actually pretty good. But the MGW shifter is amazing. The stock shifter has a moderately short throw, but the 2-post adds a bit more nvh than the whole MGW does. And the MGW has a shorter throw and is more stiff, and is just all around better.
David, Thanks for the advice. I'll be going to a Mustang Meet in Fulton, MO next weekend. Hopefully, someone there will have an installed MGW. I'll ask for a I'll ask for a static test and feel of an MGW. I've only heard good things about them, but was a little skeptical in spending too much, too soon. Guess I'll have to better plan my mods to ensure I go the proper route to perfection. Like most things, you get what you pay for. The MGW probably fits that statement, according to what I've read so far.

Semper Fi,
Bill
Old 6/1/13, 04:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by joey8
Pretty sure you can get the barton to replace the bracket errrrrr "shift box!?!" As well.
Incorrect
The MGW is the only complete replacement for the entire POS factory shifter assembly.
If your interested in the feel of an old school trans mounted shifter then MGW is the way to go.

Last edited by Black Fire; 6/1/13 at 04:05 PM.
Old 6/1/13, 05:31 PM
GT Member

I don't want to open a new thread and I have a question.......... I drove a 2012 GT500 today and the shifter kicked ***............. Will the MGW bring a similar feel to this 5.0
car?
Old 6/1/13, 10:08 PM
Cobra Member

Some might say its even better. For all the mods you can do on your 6MT Mustang, this is a slam dunk. Of the hundred plus reviews of actual owners of this upgrade, I recall only one lukewarm reaction. Used MGWs are few and far between and usually sell fast. Great product, superior design, top shelf construction, just gets better with age.
Old 6/2/13, 03:13 AM
Team Mustang Source

Yes it does! Steeda makes a really good one as well.
Old 6/2/13, 11:39 AM
Mach 1 Member

I just bought a MGW, had a Hurst shifter installed before....

This is the best shifter ever, it makes the car so much better. I love the way it shifts and how smooth it is, I would not sell it for 3x what I paid for it.

I am in love!
Old 6/2/13, 02:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by theACE
I just bought a MGW, had a Hurst shifter installed before....

This is the best shifter ever, it makes the car so much better. I love the way it shifts and how smooth it is, I would not sell it for 3x what I paid for it.

I am in love!
You sound almost orgasmic over the MGW. Guess I'll have to forego my thoughts of an interim bracket for now and go straight to the MGW.
Old 6/2/13, 09:04 PM
GT Member

I replaced my SR shifter (Steeda copy) and Steeda bracket with an MGW... The MGW is as close to the original Tri-Ax as you can get on the MT-82. It has centering springs to "find" 3rd EVERY time! I enjoy shifting again, I came from a Tri-Axed 3650 and I never missed a shift. Before the MGW, I cold drive aggressively due to missing shifts and lockouts. No more lockouts or missed shifts now...

Quick Reply: MGW or Barton