2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Lowering with GT500 strut mounts = FAIL? Opinions wanted

Search this Thread

Old 3/5/15, 05:52 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 774 Likes on 566 Posts
why are GT500 mounts good enough for the GT500 but not good enough for your car? Camber bolts are all that is needed to bring camber into spec. I drove my car for a couple of years with just that setup. now I didn't track my car but I did do some aggressive driving with out problems. On top of that the GT500 mounts are not any better than reg gt mounts. ask Sam Strano. Don't believe any of us but but your bottom dollar you can trust his opinion.
http://www.stranoparts.com/
Old 3/5/15, 06:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by GBStang13
Hey so with my 2013 Car i should stick with the SR Springs and GT500 mounts? Then when i need to update my struts and shocks I should get the ones for the 05-10 due to the GT500 mounts?
I would. But you can't use those mounts with 11-14 struts. You have to use them with 05-10 struts.
Originally Posted by Glenn
why are GT500 mounts good enough for the GT500 but not good enough for your car? Camber bolts are all that is needed to bring camber into spec. I drove my car for a couple of years with just that setup. now I didn't track my car but I did do some aggressive driving with out problems. On top of that the GT500 mounts are not any better than reg gt mounts. ask Sam Strano. Don't believe any of us but but your bottom dollar you can trust his opinion.
http://www.stranoparts.com/
Camber bolts are referred to as crash bolts for a reason.

And the GT500 mounts don't fall apart like the stock junky ones.

Not a fan of Sam Strano.
Old 3/5/15, 06:24 PM
Legacy TMS Member

There's little to no difference between the gt and the gt500 mounts except price. You don't have to be a fan of Sam's Scott but the guy does know what he is talking about. You will have to actually SHOW me where the camber bolts have a failure rate before I won't trust them. Until then its all just talk!
Old 3/5/15, 06:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...s-you-ask.html

The GT500 mounts don't have little ball bearings that fall out like the stock ones do. Yes there's big difference in quality between the two.
Old 3/5/15, 07:20 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Before stock mounts and Brembo suspention

Left camber -1.1. Right -.7 spec 0 to -1.5

After 1" lower with GT500 mounts so the
Top strut nut is toward the outer fender

Left camber -.5 Right -.3

This works fine for dd. More aggressive negative
would be better for track. Camber plates are way better in quality and would be a must if one was tracking but for normal street the GT500 worked fine for me.
Old 3/5/15, 11:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0
http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...s-you-ask.html The GT500 mounts don't have little ball bearings that fall out like the stock ones do. Yes there's big difference in quality between the two.
^^^ this !!!
Old 3/5/15, 11:18 PM
Bullitt Member

@ the OP
Turn the mount 180 degrees, and the camber is in spec.
Old 3/6/15, 07:15 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0
http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...s-you-ask.html

The GT500 mounts don't have little ball bearings that fall out like the stock ones do. Yes there's big difference in quality between the two.
I should have said they both function in a way that you can not tell the difference. Both are very strong pieces. There are millions out there working as designed.
Old 3/6/15, 09:45 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Plim
@ the OP
Turn the mount 180 degrees, and the camber is in spec.
When you say turn them around 180 What do you mean? I know the GT500 mounts have arrows on them that point towards the outside edge of the car. The Instructions state to make sure this arrow is pointing that direction.
Old 3/6/15, 12:53 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
When you say turn them around 180 What do you mean? I know the GT500 mounts have arrows on them that point towards the outside edge of the car. The Instructions state to make sure this arrow is pointing that direction.
I could be wrong but I believe that per the instructions (standard installation) the arrow is supposed to face forward...

Can someone verify that?

If so, those of us attempting to preserve near-factory spec camber should spin them around so the arrow faces backwards?

I just realized that the plate on the mount will still rotate and tehrefore I don't need to disassemble them to spin the plate around...is that right? (hence the bearings in the mount, no?)

Sheesh...the things you figure out when you actually have the parts in your hands.
Old 3/6/15, 12:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
turn so the arrow is pointing toward the engine.
Old 3/6/15, 01:22 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by mrc728
turn so the arrow is pointing toward the engine.
I'm not sure this is correct...not to second-guess you.
Old 3/6/15, 01:55 PM
Bullitt Member

hey GrabberBlue buddy, since you have a very similar setup as me, did you install the GT500 mounts with arrow point out or inwards?
Old 3/6/15, 02:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

If you're lowered install the mounts with arrows pointed towards the engine. If you're at stock ride height install the mounts per the instructions with the arrows pointed out.

My car is lowered so my mounts were installed with the arrows pointed towards the engine.

Last edited by GrabberBlue5.0; 3/6/15 at 02:32 PM.
Old 3/6/15, 04:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Hell yeah bro! Thank you, so yeah I will be 1.5" drop on all 4.
Old 3/6/15, 08:16 PM
Bullitt Member

The arrow needs to point towards the engine. This will help with the camber. If you do it like according to the service manual, you point the arrow towards the fender, and it will give too much negative camber.

Rotating the mount is really easy. Just jack up the car so that the front suspension is unloaded. Unbolt the strut mounts (hold it from within the fender cavity, before you remove the last bolt), and you can just turn the strut mount 180 degrees.
Old 3/7/15, 12:12 AM
Bullitt Member

Stuck! So SR Springs + GT500 Mounts = No go on a 2013 car... I am going to need dampeners or re-use the factory struts and shocks and shock mounts... NOW What? **** AM - I did ask twice! Hope they will honor the price of the Koni Yellows otherwise i am screwed. Anyone else running SR springs on factory stuff?
Old 3/7/15, 08:56 AM
Bullitt Member

Stuck! So SR Springs + GT500 Mounts = No go on a 2013 car... I am going to need dampeners or re-use the factory struts and shocks and shock mounts... NOW What? **** AM - I did ask twice! Hope they will honor the price of the Koni Yellows otherwise i am screwed. Anyone else running SR springs on factory stuff?
Yes, that is true. On a 2013 car you need the older year style dampers to make that work. The only difference between the older year style dampers (I.e. Koni) is the length of the thread at the top. Not the damper itself.
Old 3/7/15, 05:07 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Plim
Yes, that is true. On a 2013 car you need the older year style dampers to make that work. The only difference between the older year style dampers (I.e. Koni) is the length of the thread at the top. Not the damper itself.
^This
As a side note: I am running the 05-10 Koni Yellows on the front of my car with BMR 009 springs. Although, I decided to go with CC plates, I got the 05-10 style struts in case I had a failure with the CC plates and need to go to GT500 mounts as a back up. After I bought the CC plates (J&M) I read of one person having problems with them so I figured a back-up plan in case I had the same problem; gladly I have had them on for about 25k miles with no issues.
Old 3/7/15, 09:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
At the suggestion of Kelly at BMR, I went with the 05-10 Koni yellows and BMR springs on my 13'. I also got the gt500 (night and day visual difference like the Hulk next to David Banner. The GT500 mounts are way more beefy, they do support more weight with the bigger engine in the gt500 after all). I had my dealership do the install, and also at Kelly's suggestion had them mount the strut mounts with arrows pointed toward the engine. dealership told me the end result was that the car was within factory spec for camber. I have over 7000 miles on this setup and have seen no abnormal wear on my continental DSWs I had installed prior to the lowering, and have had no other issues. Dealership checked the entire setup at my last oil change, regreased the panhard bar and also saw no ill effects of this setup. I don't track my car other than on my daily drive to downtown Indy

Last edited by MADSCOTSMAN; 3/7/15 at 09:45 PM.

Quick Reply: Lowering with GT500 strut mounts = FAIL? Opinions wanted