Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Limits of stock GT (5.0) driveshaft, tranny, rear axle, and other components?

Search this Thread

Old 12/7/13, 06:01 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Limits of stock GT (5.0) driveshaft, tranny, rear axle, and other components?

I remember reading these numbers sometime ago, but searching for it on this forum has left me empty. So forgive me if the data is out there.

Basically, with my new setup, obviously I'm putting down more hp and torque. I also know I've been told numerous times by magnuson themselves, as well as other mustang experts (talked to experienced tuners like kurgan, and other mustang gearheads out there), that the "stock" components should "hold".

I've heard numbers like "600 whp", etc.... My question is, what are the thresholds for horsepower and torque for the stock components? (Don't include internal engine components... Those have been discussed to death)

Since I'm getting a wider (305 tires, in drag radials) tire setup, I know I'll be able to launch a little quicker off the line, but am worried that too much "stick" can be a bad thing too, as it puts stress on the aforementioned components. Do I need to be worried about snapping something?

Thanks for the input.
Old 12/7/13, 06:46 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Start here:

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/g...s/viewall.html
Old 12/7/13, 12:36 PM
I Have No Life

Interesting read.

I'm also more interested in those of you force inducted 5.0s out there driving on the street. How much are you putting down? And are your stock drivetrains holding up? Are you launching pretty hard from a stand still? I don't mean drag racing or dumping the clutch... I just mean an aggressive launch...
Old 12/7/13, 12:48 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Just get a driveshaft loop installed and don't worry about it after that. I doubt if you will break a driveshaft. Just an aggressive launch, you ain't breaking anything.

Last edited by AlsCobra; 12/7/13 at 12:49 PM.
Old 12/7/13, 01:06 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by AlsCobra
Just get a driveshaft loop installed and don't worry about it after that. I doubt if you will break a driveshaft. Just an aggressive launch, you ain't breaking anything.
What's a driveshaft loop, Al?
Old 12/7/13, 01:06 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Register here:
http://www.s197forum.com/forum/index.php
The best tech for S197 period.
Profit!!!!
Old 12/7/13, 01:08 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FromZto5
What's a driveshaft loop, Al?
Keeps the DS from hitting the road and coming back into the cabin should it break.
Old 12/7/13, 01:17 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by Brandon302
Keeps the DS from hitting the road and coming back into the cabin should it break.
So it's a safety measure, not really a prevention for driveshaft breakage.
Old 12/7/13, 01:42 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
So it's a safety measure, not really a prevention for driveshaft breakage.
Correct, but when the driveshaft snaps it will ruin your day if you get in it's way. The Safety loop is one of the things to have if you are putting in a new driveshaft. You are eventually going to break the rear differential as the shock loads that will be going through it are going to be so much higher then on a A6 so I would look into getting a TruTrac if you are really interested in drag racing. While the T-Lock does a pretty good job you will eventually snap a couple of teeth, I don't think there is specifically a certain level at which they will break.
Old 12/7/13, 02:10 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by ford20
Correct, but when the driveshaft snaps it will ruin your day if you get in it's way. The Safety loop is one of the things to have if you are putting in a new driveshaft. You are eventually going to break the rear differential as the shock loads that will be going through it are going to be so much higher then on a A6 so I would look into getting a TruTrac if you are really interested in drag racing. While the T-Lock does a pretty good job you will eventually snap a couple of teeth, I don't think there is specifically a certain level at which they will break.
There has to be a "limit" to what the factory setup can handle tho, right? I was hoping those folks on this forum who have FI'd setups can comment on their experiences with their stock drivetrain setups and how they "launch".

I for one, am not going to drag race at the strip... Ever... I just wanted to know if I occasionally wanted to aggressively take off from a stand still, can I rest easy knowing my stock components will not shatter... Lol

Last edited by FromZto5; 12/7/13 at 02:22 PM.
Old 12/7/13, 02:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 144 Likes on 109 Posts
Probably not a bad idea to have one, if you plan on any high speed events. Saw a couple youtube vids of v6 shafts breaking
. They seem to give around 135. Would hate for one to put a hole in my floor pan.
Old 12/7/13, 02:23 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by Rog13GTCS
Probably not a bad idea to have one, if you plan on any high speed events. Saw a couple youtube vids of v6 shafts breakingVideo Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAm59oe0RPU. They seem to give around 135. Would hate for one to put a hole in my floor pan.
Saw that numerous times before... And that's for a v6. The driveshaft for a 5.0 is different and much sturdier.
Old 12/7/13, 02:30 PM

There has to be a "limit" to what the factory setup can handle tho, right? I was hoping those folks on this forum who have FI'd setups can comment on their experiences with their stock drivetrain setups and how they "launch". I for one, am not going to drag race at the strip... Ever... I just wanted to know if I occasionally wanted to aggressively take off from a stand still, can I rest easy knowing my stock components will not shatter... Lol
I'm running a stock OE driveshaft and U-joints on mine. Pretty sure I'm putting down more power than you and occasionally drag race. I have a loop just in case it does break. You're not gonna break your driveshaft without full slicks, sticky track, and high RPM launches. Like I said, DS loop for safety and forget about it.
Old 12/7/13, 02:50 PM
I Have No Life

I'm running a stock OE driveshaft and U-joints on mine. Pretty sure I'm putting down more power than you and occasionally drag race. I have a loop just in case it does break. You're not gonna break your driveshaft without full slicks, sticky track, and high RPM launches. Like I said, DS loop for safety and forget about it.
That's great to know Al... I'll have to look into those loops. Where's a good place to buy?

How much power you think you're putting down, Al?
Old 12/7/13, 03:06 PM

That's great to know Al... I'll have to look into those loops. Where's a good place to buy? How much power you think you're putting down, Al?
Just see what AM or CJ is selling. They are cheap. I'm putting down 575 at the wheels. No DS problem or even IRS half shafts. It really takes major abuse to snap a DS.
Old 12/7/13, 03:57 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

There has to be a "limit" to what the factory setup can handle tho, right? I was hoping those folks on this forum who have FI'd setups can comment on their experiences with their stock drivetrain setups and how they "launch".

I for one, am not going to drag race at the strip... Ever... I just wanted to know if I occasionally wanted to aggressively take off from a stand still, can I rest easy knowing my stock components will not shatter... Lol
As far as I am aware of there really is no real "limit" ... I have seen 9 second cars using the stock driveshaft with out any issues and I have seen a lightly modded car twist the driveshaft tube in the conditions that Al said.

If you are really worried about it, I would hit up DSS and pickup one of their 1 piece aluminum driveshafts, they are rated up to 900HP and would be more then capable of handling anything that the Magnuson could throw at it. As far as the safety loop is concerned I am a big fan of the BMR units.

http://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=p...id=22&catid=65

That's great to know Al... I'll have to look into those loops. Where's a good place to buy?

How much power you think you're putting down, Al?
I think BMR is a sponsor here so hit up Kelly and see if he can help you out picking the right safety loop. If not Hypermotive Performance is great and they would have everything you would ever need for your car!

Last edited by ford20; 12/7/13 at 03:59 PM.
Old 12/7/13, 03:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ford20
If you are really worried about it, I would hit up DSS and pickup one of their 1 piece aluminum driveshafts, they are rated up to 900HP and would be more then capable of handling anything that the Magnuson could throw at it. As far as the safety loop is concerned I am a big fan of the BMR units.
Not to mention the benefits of shedding rotational mass!
Old 12/7/13, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by narphenal
Not to mention the benefits of shedding rotational mass!
Benefits/$$$. You really don't gain enough to fork out that kind of money on a lightweight DS. IMO.
Old 12/7/13, 04:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Benefits/$$$. You really don't gain enough to fork out that kind of money on a lightweight DS. IMO.
$700 for all the weight you shed and added rigidity you gain is well worth it for me. People are quick to throw $300+ on a CAI or vinyl, but maximizing driveline efficiency will help you more than anything.
Old 12/7/13, 04:27 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Eh, roughly $650 for usually a .10 and better acceleration. For me it is worth the money especially when you consider some people are forking out $400-$600 for CAI and tune and not really seeing a while lot of benefits at the track. But I know some people who don't really think it is worth it and spend a whole lot more money trying to lose weight in other areas.

Last edited by ford20; 12/7/13 at 04:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Limits of stock GT (5.0) driveshaft, tranny, rear axle, and other components?