2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Koni STR.T recent squeak issues?

Search this Thread

Old 1/30/16, 06:58 PM
Cobra Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
0verkill. Just my experience real quick. I ordered and went through 3 sets of koni str.t's. All of them had different compression rates and none of them came with new bushings or anything. I was disappointed to say the least.

I went with them after researching a ton over the steeda pro action shocks bc everyone talks about koni koni koni.

I ended up buying the pro actions. They came pkgd way better. Right out of the gate, the welds were better. And they came with all new stuff so you didn't need to reuse anything from the stock shocks. They came locked compressed instead of a strap holding them and the compression was identical on both.

I couldn't be happier with them. The feel is slightly firmer than stock. Still very comfortable. Nothing even close to jarring. But stability and control is fantastically improved. I have the rear pro actions only paired with the 55d rear springs from Route 66 (which dropped it perfectly IMO). The front springs and shocks are the stock brembo pkg.
Old 1/30/16, 09:18 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by typesredline
0verkill. Just my experience real quick. I ordered and went through 3 sets of koni str.t's. All of them had different compression rates and none of them came with new bushings or anything. I was disappointed to say the least.

I went with them after researching a ton over the steeda pro action shocks bc everyone talks about koni koni koni.

I ended up buying the pro actions. They came pkgd way better. Right out of the gate, the welds were better. And they came with all new stuff so you didn't need to reuse anything from the stock shocks. They came locked compressed instead of a strap holding them and the compression was identical on both.

I couldn't be happier with them. The feel is slightly firmer than stock. Still very comfortable. Nothing even close to jarring. But stability and control is fantastically improved. I have the rear pro actions only paired with the 55d rear springs from Route 66 (which dropped it perfectly IMO). The front springs and shocks are the stock brembo pkg.
I second the above. I went through two sets of str.t's last March before giving up on them. First set I got were shot, and squeaky as hell. On the second set the one of the front struts never expand after cutting the strap.
Old 1/31/16, 03:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

Steeds pro action = tokico correct ?
Old 1/31/16, 06:41 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Yeah I read and hear more problems with the orange str ts than anything else. The Koni yellows seem to be better quality hence why I went with them. If going Koni, go yellows.
Old 1/31/16, 12:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I have had Steeda ultralites and Pro action shocks for about 24k miles. I'm thinking about getting the Koni yellows or possibly Bilsteins for a stiffer ride, not sure about changing springs though.
Old 1/31/16, 12:08 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Originally Posted by FromZto5
Yeah I read and hear more problems with the orange str ts than anything else. The Koni yellows seem to be better quality hence why I went with them. If going Koni, go yellows.
I'm with you. Planning to get Yellows to go with my Steeda springs, HD mouts and PH bar. This way if I decide I need sways later, Steeda competition adjustable will be a perfect complement.

And with the adjustability of the Koni Yellow I'm bound to find a perfect compression/rebound rate for my springs.
Old 1/31/16, 01:03 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by FromZto5
I agree with this. When I purchased my koni yellows , I was close to buying the strts. I had several vendors and a shop tell me the quality on the yellows was much higher. I did have some buyers remorse over the money spent when I first bought them. The first trip to a mountain road that I dialed up the stiffness changed my mind. Being able to switch back to full soft for the ride home was like having another car. You can just dial in what ride you want.
Old 1/31/16, 01:29 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
I'm with you. Planning to get Yellows to go with my Steeda springs, HD mouts and PH bar. This way if I decide I need sways later, Steeda competition adjustable will be a perfect complement.

And with the adjustability of the Koni Yellow I'm bound to find a perfect compression/rebound rate for my springs.
Yep that's my setup. Steeda adjustable competitions paired with Koni yellows. Going on 3 years. Love the way she rides and handles.
Old 1/31/16, 04:58 PM
Cobra Member

Yep. They're tokico's. Quality just seems much higher. Plus they're spec'd by steeda who knows their suspension stuff.

If I remember right the koni yellows are made in holland where the oranges are made in mexico. If I wanted adjustable I'd go yellows. But I wanted fixed.
Old 2/1/16, 04:58 AM
Mach 1 Member

Yep. They're tokico's. Quality just seems much higher. Plus they're spec'd by steeda who knows their suspension stuff.

If I remember right the koni yellows are made in holland where the oranges are made in mexico. If I wanted adjustable I'd go yellows. But I wanted fixed.
Tokico makes an adjustable for our cars. It's under the Ford Racing brand. I know. I had them on my car all the way around. I did end up replacing the front struts but not because I was unhappy with them. I as well as many posters here was chasing a squeaky suspension. I ran the gambit. It drove me nuts. I replaced struts, sway bar end links, strut mounts, lower control arms. On a hunch I regressed the body to sway bar bushings...........problem went away. So in my case I was running Tokyo's, I liked them and had a squeaky suspension. At any rate this is why I say check those bushings above all else because I am a certified master tech and missed something so simple and spent good money after bad chasing it down.
Old 2/2/16, 01:20 PM
Cobra Member

Ford Racing shocks and struts are made by dynamic suspensions. Not Tokico.
Old 2/2/16, 07:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Ford Racing shocks and struts are made by dynamic suspensions. Not Tokico.
Who manufactures for dynamic ?
Old 2/3/16, 11:10 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by 2014GHIGGT
Who manufactures for dynamic ?
Tokico manufactures them for dynamic.
Old 2/5/16, 06:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Mr. V
Tokico manufactures them for dynamic.
Exactly. I had a pair and it said mfg. by Tokico for Dynamic Suspension
Old 2/5/16, 08:37 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
For anyone looking to upgrade their springs or shocks to Pro Actions - happy to help get an order situated & provide a forum discount.

You can always email me at tim@steeda.com for pricing & support!

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 2/6/16, 10:55 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
I hate spending money on something... especially as expensive per piece as these are, overall... and having to spend it twice.

These reponses about the Koni Oranges are not helpful to my psyche...

My right front is leaking and squeaking, and I have one rear that didn't extend on unboxing... so...

Yeah.

I'm spending more money, aren't I?

/I have yet to go through the warranty process, so stand by for more info later this year... when I can get to the dang things...

//so much else going on it's stupid...