2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Koni STR.T recent squeak issues?

Search this Thread

Old 1/23/16, 10:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Koni STR.T recent squeak issues?

Hey guys, i've got a 2013 track pack. i'm getting ready to pull the trigger on some Koni STR.Ts and either steeda/eibach/ford racing springs (haven't made up my mind on those yet), anyway i was reading some old threads and it seems as if quite a few folks awhile back were having some squeaking issues with the STR.T purchased around a certain time. Does anyone know if this ever got resolved? has anyone put on any STR.Ts recently and had any issues with squeaks? and lastly is it even worth it to go from track pack to STR.T shocks/lowering springs? any major benefit?
Old 1/23/16, 02:33 PM
Team Mustang Source

I have the track pack or Brembo package as it was called at the time. I switched it out for a complete Steeda suspension (with sport springs) and Koni Yellows. The ride was firmer and the handling excellent. I think it is worth the money, especially if you track the car. I have some squeaking coming from the rear of the car that started after having this new suspension setup. I don't know what is causing it. I re-lubed the upper and lower control arms and the panhand; still squeaks. I don'd know if it is the Koni or not. I'm still investigating because sometimes it stops altogether.
Old 1/23/16, 06:40 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Poppa
I have the track pack or Brembo package as it was called at the time. I switched it out for a complete Steeda suspension (with sport springs) and Koni Yellows. The ride was firmer and the handling excellent. I think it is worth the money, especially if you track the car. I have some squeaking coming from the rear of the car that started after having this new suspension setup. I don't know what is causing it. I re-lubed the upper and lower control arms and the panhand; still squeaks. I don'd know if it is the Koni or not. I'm still investigating because sometimes it stops altogether.
I had a weird squeak like that. The shop went over everything and it ended up being that the stock rear upper control arm had worked lose. It wasn't even touched during the install of my suspension. I thought I'd share in case you have the same issue.
Old 1/24/16, 07:34 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
I know I read a few had to return one due to a squeak but that was a year ago. Never heard if it was really the koni str, but it could have been something else and when they reinstalled the new koni they fixed the squeak.
Old 1/24/16, 09:12 AM
Team Mustang Source

I have the Steeda Upper Control Arm. I took it off, cleaned, lubed, and reinstalled, and I still had a squeak. Like I said, it goes away from time to time, but it is possible it could be the Koni's. I have them set to their softest setting. If I figure it out I'll be sure to let you know.
Old 1/24/16, 09:19 AM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
I'll be keeping an eye on this thread as I'm about to put Steeda Sports, PH bar and Koni Yellow's on my car this spring.

Has anyone use Bilstein shocks? Any squeaking with them?
Old 1/24/16, 10:34 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Let me run this by our install dept. & see what their feedback is.

I have seen bushings & the rear sway bar being the issue for some - but will run this by our team & see what they recommend.

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 1/24/16, 12:13 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
I'll be keeping an eye on this thread as I'm about to put Steeda Sports, PH bar and Koni Yellow's on my car this spring.

I had the Koni yellows on my current car, and ran Bilstein Sports on my 2000 V6 and Bilstein/MM coilovers on my 2003 GT. I liked them both. It's not a direct comparison since Bilstein doesn't make adjustable struts/shocks for our cars, but I did really like the happy medium that Bilstein offered.
Old 1/25/16, 07:55 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I spoke to our installers & pertaining to this one, specifically:

They have installed this set-up on many cars & have had 0 issues with squeaks ... they recommend swapping the rear shocks & see if the problem goes away.

Keeping an eye on this thread to see if we can pinpoint the squeak.

TJ
Old 1/26/16, 04:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

I know what the squeak is................. Been there done that. You need to re-grease the rubber bushing that sits between the sway bar and the link. The greasable fittings don't do a great job of getting grease in between the bar itself and the rubber. Take the busing apart and grease the crap out of it. The squeak will go away.

Same wth the front. They are known for this too. (Body to sway bar bushings)

Last edited by 2014GHIGGT; 1/27/16 at 05:34 AM.
Old 1/26/16, 09:47 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,955 Likes on 1,583 Posts
Originally Posted by tj@steeda
I spoke to our installers & pertaining to this one, specifically:

They have installed this set-up on many cars & have had 0 issues with squeaks ... they recommend swapping the rear shocks & see if the problem goes away.

Keeping an eye on this thread to see if we can pinpoint the squeak.

TJ
So what is he supposed to swap them out with ? Are you recommending that he purchase another set of shocks, in which more than likely isn't the cause for the squeaking issues to begin with anyhow..

I agree with Robert's post in which makes perfect sense that it's the sway bar bushings that would cause the squeaking issues..

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 1/26/16 at 10:11 PM.
Old 1/26/16, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by 2014GHIGGT
I know what the squeak is................. Been there done that. You need to re-grease the rubber bushing that sits between the sway bar and the link. The grazable fittings don't do a great job of getting grease in between the bar itself and the rubber. Take the busing apart and grease the crap out of it. The squeak will go away.

Same wth the front. They are known for this too. (Body to sway bar bushings)
Robert ! IMHO the sway bar bushings would seem to make the most sense for causing a squeaking noise, especially if the bushings are polyurethane..

Therefore I totally agree with your recommendation and solution by keeping the bushings greased in order to prevent squeaking

As I don't believe for a single moment it's the Koni shocks that are responsible.. As a matter of fact, I upgraded to the Koni yellow struts this past summer and haven't noticed any type of squeaking at all.. Even before I upgraded, I never noticed any squeaking noises with the OEM/stock dampers either..
Old 1/27/16, 05:34 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
So what is he supposed to swap them out with ? Are you recommending that he purchase another set of shocks, in which more than likely isn't the cause for the squeaking issues to begin with anyhow..

I agree with Robert's post in which makes perfect sense that it's the sway bar bushings that would cause the squeaking issues..
You have to understand ... trying to diagnose a squeak without seeing the car or hearing it is very difficult.

Knowing that we have similar set ups on our vehicles ... and don't have squeaks. ... that is what they thought could be the possible cause.

Best Regards,

Tj

Last edited by tj@steeda; 1/27/16 at 02:17 PM.
Old 1/27/16, 07:10 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER

Robert ! IMHO the sway bar bushings would seem to make the most sense for causing a squeaking noise, especially if the bushings are polyurethane..

Therefore I totally agree with your recommendation and solution by keeping the bushings greased in order to prevent squeaking

As I don't believe for a single moment it's the Koni shocks that are responsible.. As a matter of fact, I upgraded to the Koni yellow struts this past summer and haven't noticed any type of squeaking at all.. Even before I upgraded, I never noticed any squeaking noises with the OEM/stock dampers either..
I agree with all the above. I had to grease and regrease the sway bar and end link bushing a couple of years ago... 3 times or so. It was a PITA. But squeak was gone.

Also, I have Koni Yellows as well, and it's definitely not from the Konis. Those are the best shocks/struts. Quality, at least for the yellows, are great. I love em.
Old 1/27/16, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by tj@steeda
You have to understand ... trying to diagnose a squeak without seeing the car or hearing it is very difficult.

Knowing that we have similar set ups on our vehicles ... and don't have queaks. ... that is what they thought could be the possible cause.

Best Regards,

Tj
First thing that needs to be done, is re-grease all bushings.. If that doesn't solve the squeaking issues, then take the car somewhere to be properly diagnosed..

This way you'll know for certain what is causing the issues rather than go through the hassle of replacing the shocks, only to find out they weren't causing the squeaking issues in the first place..
Old 1/27/16, 12:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

First thing that needs to be done, is re-grease all bushings.. If that doesn't solve the squeaking issues, then take the car somewhere to be properly diagnosed..

This way you'll know for certain what is causing the issues rather than go through the hassle of replacing the shocks, only to find out they weren't causing the squeaking issues in the first place..
X2 I could not agree more.
Old 1/30/16, 03:09 AM
Team Mustang Source

As soon as I get a chance I'll remove the end links, clean and grease them. That's the only thing I haven't done. I'm doubting it's the Koni shocks also. I hear the squeaking usually at slow speeds going over bumps and other irregularities in the road.
Old 1/30/16, 05:35 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Big Poppa
As soon as I get a chance I'll remove the end links, clean and grease them. That's the only thing I haven't done. I'm doubting it's the Koni shocks also. I hear the squeaking usually at slow speeds going over bumps and other irregularities in the road.
It's definitely the sway bar bushings. Remember it isn't the end links. It's the sway bar to frame bushings.
Old 1/30/16, 11:35 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by 2014GHIGGT
It's definitely the sway bar bushings. Remember it isn't the end links. It's the sway bar to frame bushings.
You do mean the bushings on the 2 short straight links that connect the sway bar to the frame right?
Old 1/30/16, 06:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5
You do mean the bushings on the 2 short straight links that connect the sway bar to the frame right?
You are describing the rear sway bar to frame bushings, correct?

Quick Reply: Koni STR.T recent squeak issues?