2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Just installed Boss quad exhaust- observations & questions

Search this Thread

Old 9/26/14, 10:34 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah i run mine wide open. I love the pops and burbles!
Old 9/26/14, 11:48 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Varilux
Either things are mellowing out or I'm getting used to the exhaust, but after a few days of driving it doesn't seem as loud or harsh....
It's "B." You're getting used to them.

Unless you've got gobs of cabon rapidly clogging up your exhaust system (in which case you have a major problem), there's no physical way that these could get quiter.

We are each of us, lost in a sea of subjectivity.
Old 9/26/14, 12:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It's "B." You're getting used to them.
Unless you've got gobs of cabon rapidly clogging up your exhaust system (in which case you have a major problem), there's no physical way that these could get quiter.
We are each of us, lost in a sea of subjectivity.

So, its like progressive lenses (like Varilux )- in two weeks, you get used to them.
Old 9/28/14, 01:32 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 390 Likes on 287 Posts
Good Lord Pete, you're just tempting me to spend more money aren't you.
Old 9/29/14, 07:46 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I run mine with no plates ... its fairly loud especially at WOT .. but since it sounds like a muscle car and not a lawnmower it's completely tolerable. I have never tried them with the plates so have idea how they sound restricted. I have 3.73 and cruising at highway speed is fine .. no drone for me. I have GT500 axle backs and the resonators are still installed.
Old 9/29/14, 08:25 AM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
I'm thinking of putting the boss pipes on. Where are the plates at? Can you change these easy?

Last edited by Jazzman442; 10/5/14 at 09:43 AM.
Old 9/29/14, 10:56 AM
Mach 1 Member

Here is a comparison of the stock H-pipe vs. the Boss 302 Quad Exhaust H-pipe...

You can see a flange on each side where the side pipes tie into the H-pipe. That flanges are where the restrictor plates would go.

I swear mine have mellowed out a bit since I installed them- I do not notice them at cruising speeds any more. They still sound great- just not as loud as they were at first. Maybe the heating/cooling cycles temper them or something? Also, I am getting just a little rattle from the passenger pipe at cold start-up (goes away within a minute), so I'll have to get under there and see if the side pipe clamp is loose.
Old 9/29/14, 01:00 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here is a comparison of the stock H-pipe vs. the Boss 302 Quad Exhaust H-pipe...

You can see a flange on each side where the side pipes tie into the H-pipe. That flanges are where the restrictor plates would go.

I swear mine have mellowed out a bit since I installed them- I do not notice them at cruising speeds any more. They still sound great- just not as loud as they were at first. Maybe the heating/cooling cycles temper them or something? Also, I am getting just a little rattle from the passenger pipe at cold start-up (goes away within a minute), so I'll have to get under there and see if the side pipe clamp is loose.
The passenger side rattle is a classic symptom. You just need to support the side pipe when torquing the nut that holds the side pipe exhaust bracket to the under body.
Old 9/29/14, 01:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

The passenger side rattle is a classic symptom. You just need to support the side pipe when torquing the nut that holds the side pipe exhaust bracket to the under body.

Thanks for the info! I'll support the pipe, loosen and re-tighten the bolt this evening.
Old 10/1/14, 03:32 PM
Cobra Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
pete do u have video of the sound?
Old 10/1/14, 06:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Not yet- I need to do that (because it is perfect, IMO :^).

I loosened the mounting nut on the passenger side, supported the pipe and re-tightened. The noise is slightly different but still there. I think I'm going to try and change the way I did the front joint on the passenger side. When I removed the original H-pipe, I cut the welds that hold the clamps off and reversed the direction of the nuts (to make it easier to remove in the future- don't know why Ford installed them with the heads up). Anyway, there is a little shield on the down pipe. Originally, the clamp opened at that shield, but I remember noticing on the passenger side when I reversed the clamp I now have the opening on the side away from that shield. I'll try reversing it and see if that gets rid of the rattling when cold. Its not terrible- just doesn't sound quite right the first couple minutes.
Old 10/2/14, 06:49 AM
Team Mustang Source

I've been running mine wide open since the install. I'm very happy with them. The only issue I have is when pedestrians waiting for the bus burst into flames when I pass by them at over 4k RPM"S.
Old 10/4/14, 11:01 AM

I put the Boss 302 exhaust and QTP cutouts on my 14 GT as well. The cutouts allow you to dial in the sound if you want but honestly I keep mine open all the time unless I'm on the interstate.

I substituted a small round toggle switch in lieu of the ugly swich supplied by QTP. This was installed in the console by the e-brake and almost looks like it is supposed to be there.

[/QUOTE]

Last edited by Kingstrider; 10/4/14 at 11:02 AM.
Old 10/4/14, 02:17 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Kingstrider
I put the Boss 302 exhaust and QTP cutouts on my 14 GT as well. The cutouts allow you to dial in the sound if you want but honestly I keep mine open all the time unless I'm on the interstate.

I substituted a small round toggle switch in lieu of the ugly swich supplied by QTP. This was installed in the console by the e-brake and almost looks like it is supposed to be there.

[/QUOTE]

Can you vary the degree of opening of the cutout's? Also where did you get the switch. Looks awesome and I love the idea.
Old 10/4/14, 03:02 PM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks like a clean install, I'm curious though about that flex portion for sidepipes about, how long it will last before it burns out. Also was it a PITA to install all the system with 02 sensors & codes coming up lastly how $$$ where did you order dealer or Ford Racing. thanx Does anyone have part # For this system & QTP unit I maybe stay with stock muffs for now until I see if I will upgrade to a Procharger then I will need the open flow muff.

Last edited by SMOKE46; 10/4/14 at 03:45 PM.
Old 10/4/14, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by SMOKE46
Looks like a clean install, I'm curious though about that flex portion for sidepipes about, how long it will last before it burns out. Also was it a PITA to install all the system with 02 sensors & codes coming up lastly how $$$ where did you order dealer or Ford Racing. thanx Does anyone have part # For this system & QTP unit I maybe stay with stock muffs for now until I see if I will upgrade to a Procharger then I will need the open flow muff.
Installation is easy, took maybe an hour and the whole system is post-cats so no worries about 02 sensors, codes etc. I bought mine from AM and had it the next day.
Old 10/4/14, 09:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

I purchased mine at the following link for $699 (free shipping): http://www.buyfordracingfromdpm.com/...e-exhaust-kit/

Here's a link to a video of the exhaust installed (probably the worst "exhaust video" ever, but all I had was my cell phone):

The installation is a piece of cake- 1-2 hours and 6 bolts or so (two of the bolts are a little tricky, because Ford installed them "upside down"). Considering this is a stock component on the Boss 302, I'm assuming the flex portion will hold up as long as the rest of the system.

After driving it a couple weeks without the restrictor plates, I'm not going to bother with the cutouts. Its not "obnoxious loud" or anything- it just sounds "right!"

Regarding the "rattle when cold" I reported earlier, I switched the passenger side front connector ring to its original position and the rattle has been completely fixed.
Old 10/5/14, 08:40 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Kingstrider
I put the Boss 302 exhaust and QTP cutouts on my 14 GT as well. The cutouts allow you to dial in the sound if you want but honestly I keep mine open all the time unless I'm on the interstate. I substituted a small round toggle switch in lieu of the ugly swich supplied by QTP. This was installed in the console by the e-brake and almost looks like it is supposed to be there.
[/QUOTE]

Nice switch setup. Is it either full open or full closed?
Old 10/5/14, 10:19 PM
V6 Member

THANX GUYS !
Old 10/8/14, 09:09 AM
V6 Member

Ordered the Boss 302 quad exhaust (H-pipe with side outlets) from BuyFordRacing.com for $699 (with free shipping)... Of course, I installed it without the restrictor plates. The hardest part (for me) was getting the new H-pipe installed at the back end (just a tip, install the clamps on the pipes going back to the mufflers, use a jack to lift those pipes up a bit, then install the new H-pipe). Another tip- I've read numerous installs where people claim one of the side pipes didn't line up with the mounting hole. I think the key is to just put the side pipes on the studs of the H-pipe and install the end bolt to the side pipe first. The pipe has quite a bit of flexibility built into the design, so I can't imagine there should be any problem lining it up.

First the observations- "Holy Freaking Mother of Goodness!" (Sorry, that's about the only way to put it !) I know the car isn't any faster- but it feels faster- or at least you can feel the engine. Its like you've put a microphone in your exhaust and directed it right at your seat! I mean, geesh- at idle the car sounds like you really shouldn't be standing near it or it might bite you. When you hit the accelerator, its like "Release the hounds!" When you downshift its like NASCAR. Suffice it to say, if you've even thought about installing this option, just do it!

Another observation would be, if you have 3.73 gears there is going to be a little bit of drone at 65+mph. No problem at 55-60, but at any decent speed the RPMs top 2k- and from there on up you are going to get a steady tone in the cabin.

Now the questions:
1.) Do the QTP electronic cutouts allow you to partially open the cutouts- or is it totally open or closed only? I can tell there are times when I'm going to be a bit more quiet (like when going through the neighborhood, driving through the DFW parking garages, or when starting in my garage in the early a.m.). Most of the time, I think I'd like to run them half open.
2.) Anyone actually using the restrictor plates? I imagine I could install them and just drill out until I get the exact level of awesomeness I want, but it would be helpful to know if someone has figured out a good hole size (the stock hole size seems miniscule).

Anyway, I already had GT500 axle-backs installed, and I guess they are still making some noise (can't hear them a bit over the side exhaust).
This Sucks ! They no longer offer this side exhaust kit for. 2014 per Taska Ford

Quick Reply: Just installed Boss quad exhaust- observations & questions