2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

JLT 3.0 oil seperator won't fit. 10 gt

Old 1/11/17, 08:24 PM
V6 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
JLT 3.0 oil seperator won't fit. 10 gt

Hey everyone. I recently purchased a JLT 3.0 driver side oil separator. I took off the old pcv hose and tried for an hour but can't get the separator to fit its like there's not enough room for the canister to sit on top of the valve cover and the wires over there. Didn't turn out to be a plug and play for me.

Last edited by grimesd; 1/11/17 at 08:28 PM. Reason: Bad typing on phone
Old 1/11/17, 08:42 PM
V6 Member

All the pictures ice see the seperator looks like it has about a quarter inch or so of clearance under the can, mine seems like it has no clearance at all, the can can't sit straight up and down, it's more bothering that this should have been a 1 minute plug and play.
Old 1/12/17, 05:28 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,493 Likes on 1,018 Posts
hmmmm . . . it was plug and play on my 2010 GT, no issues . . . I wonder if you have a later version or something . . . later if I get a chance I'll take a pic

but don't worry about it too much, mine doesn't collect anything anyway
Old 1/12/17, 06:33 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Bert
hmmmm . . . it was plug and play on my 2010 GT, no issues . . . I wonder if you have a later version or something . . . later if I get a chance I'll take a pic

but don't worry about it too much, mine doesn't collect anything anyway
Thank you I appreciate it. I know this is a bad picture but here is the one I received.

It almost seems like the canister itself is to big, If I unscrew the bottom canister, I am able to hook it up. But even if I do it that way, I can't screw the can on afterwards because there's not enough clearance to screw it on, it still hits the valve covers (cam covers).

Thank you for letting me know about the not catching anything part. I don't believe I could return it now since the bottom is a little scratched up from trying to get it to fit
Old 1/17/17, 03:58 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Sorry for slow follow up . . . here's what mine looks like, installed.

It is a little tight, but it sits in there just fine. There is about 1/4" clearance on the bottom. It is a bit tight for access to unscrew it, but it can be done; just need to bend the hoses upward a little.

By the way I had the engine cover in the past, no problem. I removed it to make it easier to clean the throttle body (I have to remove the strut tower brace to remove the cover to remove the throttle body) plus I thought it might make the engine run a little cooler on the track.

Your cannister looks very similar to mine, except for the color, though it is hard to tell in pictures.
Attached Thumbnails JLT 3.0 oil seperator won't fit. 10 gt-jlt_catch_can_installed.jpg  

Last edited by Bert; 1/17/17 at 04:06 PM.
Old 1/17/17, 04:03 PM
Legacy TMS Member

And here's what it collected after two track days . . . meaning over 2 hours of high RPM, heavy throttle operation. Definitely much harder driving than you will ever do on the street, unless you are completely out of your mind.

I was told that it needs steel wool inside, so the oil has someting to cling to. I did add some, but it did not make much difference. I still wonder if it is actually working right.
Attached Thumbnails JLT 3.0 oil seperator won't fit. 10 gt-jlt_oil_collected.jpg  
Old 1/17/17, 04:20 PM
V6 Member

Sweet thank you for the reply. I finally got it after some slight movements lol. But heres the issue now, the hose that connect to the valve cover (The right side hose) has a huge depression in it from making it fit, literally it looks like only a small about of "air" can get through there its squished so much from the of the house. Nervous this will caught the valve cover not to breathe right ?

From your picture, it doesn't look like the right side of your can hose has any crease in it, almost like the hose is to long?
Old 1/17/17, 04:52 PM
V6 Member

This is after I take it back off. It's even worse with it on.

Old 1/18/17, 06:14 AM
Legacy TMS Member

yeah, that does not look right . . . mine does not have that kink, fits perfectly though the space is tight . . . seems like maybe you got the wrong one, hose is too long?

I think I would call JLT if I was in your situation . . . these usually are small companies that are happy to talk with their customers and offer a solution if possible.
Old 1/19/17, 07:48 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,949 Likes on 1,578 Posts
No offense to those running JLT separators, however when I first started out running oil separators, JLT was my first choice and although it did capture some of the crankcase vapor oil, it unfortunately didn't capture enough of it, in which quite a bit still got past the PCV connector at the intake manifold and then seeped out from the throttle body..

Needless to say, I then made the switch from JLT to Bob's autosports and then eventually from Bob's autosports to my current UPR 4 chamber catch can.. Both the Bob's and UPR cans have a much improved superior filtering design over the JLT and haven't noticed any oil vapors getting past the PCV barb connectors at the intake manifold whatsoever since making the switch..

Anyway just something you may want to consider looking into
Old 1/19/17, 08:02 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
No offense to those running JLT separators, however when I first started out running oil separators, JLT was my first choice and although it did capture some of the crankcase vapor oil, it unfortunately didn't capture enough of it, in which quite a bit still got past the PCV connector at the intake manifold and then seeped out from the throttle body..

Needless to say, I then made the switch from JLT to Bob's autosports and then eventually from Bob's autosports to my current UPR 4 chamber catch can.. Both the Bob's and UPR cans have a much improved superior filtering design over the JLT and haven't noticed any oil vapors getting past the PCV barb connectors at the intake manifold whatsoever since making the switch..

Anyway just something you may want to consider looking into
Hmmm thank you for the tip, can you send some links my way to these catch cans please?
Old 1/20/17, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by grimesd
Hmmm thank you for the tip, can you send some links my way to these catch cans please?
Here's the links for the Bob's separator and UPR catch can.. I've also included pics of both the Bob's and UPR separators as well.. If you happen to be interested ? I'll sell you my Bob's can for half price + shipping.. As I don't need 2 oil separators.. http://shop.bobsautosports.com/2010-...ivers-side.htm

http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-b...all-11-sc.html

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 1/20/17 at 12:41 AM.
Old 1/20/17, 05:09 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Here's the links for the Bob's separator and UPR catch can.. I've also included pics of both the Bob's and UPR separators as well.. If you happen to be interested ? I'll sell you my Bob's can for half price + shipping.. As I don't need 2 oil separators..
Aha -- I see your car is supercharged, which creates more blow by and the catch can might actually be needed.

Thanks for the info, but . . . I am not convinced that it is needed on a N/A car, I don't think I'm going to put any more thought or effort into it until everything else on the list is done first.
Old 1/20/17, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by Bert
Aha -- I see your car is supercharged, which creates more blow by and the catch can might actually be needed.

Thanks for the info, but . . . I am not convinced that it is needed on a N/A car, I don't think I'm going to put any more thought or effort into it until everything else on the list is done first.
As long as your not getting any vapor oil into your intake or seeping out from the throttle body, then no, you don't really need one anyhow..

Search this Thread