Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Installed the new UPR 4 chamber catch can.

Search this Thread

Old 10/5/15, 11:50 AM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Have you brought this to UPR's attention ? I would contact their customer support dept and find out if they may be willing to work with you in regards to exchanging the kit fittings
I didn't. The drain plug never seemed to be the right threads for the canister and that's where it is leaking. I would need a new canister, drain plug and 90* connector. I figured if that's the quality that they put out their customer service might not care either. If I'm wrong they can PM me.
Old 10/5/15, 12:00 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,955 Likes on 1,583 Posts
Originally Posted by FromZto5
Rocky... I had this same convo with Wayne too before.

I have a Maggie blower on my 5.0, and had the Bob's can for about 5k miles now. IMO, it's really doing it's job. I empty it every 1k miles or so. You'd be surprised how much oil it catches from the vapors. I'm REALLY happy with my Bob's. Here's a pic of my latest removal, around ~1500 miles or so.
The Bob's can is the separator I should had went with from the very beginning rather than with the JLT can in which I was previously using..

Although the JLT can did catch some of the oil vapors, there was still never the less oil liquid passing through the JLT PCV line and into the intake manifold.. IMHO the JLT can is just too small and it's lack of SS mesh in addition with not including a SS filter ring within the chamber compartment just couldn't handle all the pressure from the crankcase, but in no way am I trying to bash the folks over at JLT, however I do feel they need to come out with a much better and improved design similar to that of the Bob's catch can along with UPR's latest 4 chamber design and also Moroso's oil separator as well..

So after doing some further research, I came across this thread on TMS along with others from different Mustang sites and after reading all the positive reviews from both yourself and Wayne, I called Steven over at Bob's Autosports and after he took the time to explain the design of his catch can I then made the decision to give the Bob's can a try and needless to say, so far I've been very happy with it in which it does indeed appear to be doing it's job..

In the meantime, I just want to say thanks to both you and Wayne for all your positive reviews in these threads and it appears that I'll most definitely be sticking with the Bob's can..

Rocky

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 10/5/15 at 12:20 PM.
Old 10/5/15, 12:13 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
The Bob's can is the separator I should had went with from the very beginning rather than with the JLT can in which I was previously using..

Although the JLT can did catch some of the oil vapors, there was still never the less oil liquid passing through the JLT PCV line and into the intake manifold.. My guess is the JLT can is just too small and it's lack of SS mesh along with it's chambered SS filter ring design just couldn't handle all the pressure from the crankcase, but in no way am I trying to bash the folks over at JLT, however I feel they do need to come out with a better and improved design similar to that of the Bob's catch can along with UPR's latest 4 chamber design and also Moroso's oil separator as well..

So after doing some further research, I came across this thread on TMS along with others from different Mustang sites and after reading all the positive reviews from both yourself and Wayne, I called Steven over at Bob's Autosports and after he took the time to explain the design of his catch can I then made the decision to give the Bob's can a try and needless to say so far I've been very happy and appears to indeed be doing it's job at this point..

In the meantime, I just want to say thanks to both you and Wayne for all your positive reviews in these threads and it appears that I'll most definitely be sticking with the Bob's can..

Rocky
You're welcome Rocky. I try to be honest and candid about my "reviews". If I don't like a product, I state it. Luckily, because (like you do) of the research I do on all the products that go on my car/s, I end up with a great product to begin with.

The Bob's is one of those. I researched JLT a lot, and actually got it initially, then sold it within a week. I spoke to Bob's and they were great. The can really works. You can tell from my pic, it catches a lot of oil... it's doing it's job for sure.
Old 10/5/15, 01:34 PM

You're welcome Rocky. I try to be honest and candid about my "reviews". If I don't like a product, I state it. Luckily, because (like you do) of the research I do on all the products that go on my car/s, I end up with a great product to begin with.

The Bob's is one of those. I researched JLT a lot, and actually got it initially, then sold it within a week. I spoke to Bob's and they were great. The can really works. You can tell from my pic, it catches a lot of oil... it's doing it's job for sure.
I also feel the same way when it comes to being honest and like yourself If I don't like a product, I will state it along with my reasons as well..

I also did a lot of research on the JLT product before I went ahead and purchased it and again I'm not here to bash on JLT at all, as they do sell really great products and do have a great customer service dept to show for it as well, however in my case the JLT can just didn't work as well as I expected for my particular application in which they did work with me by offering a full refund minus the 25% restocking fee for returning it..

Therefore I will continue to purchase other products from them in the future for sure..

My only regret is that I should had researched the Bob's can sooner, but all that really matters now is that I finally did and couldn't be happier as a direct result as the Bob's can does really work just as you and Wayne said it would and your pictures confirm just how great of a job it does capturing crankcase oil vapor without a doubt even more so..

I also spoke to Steven over at Bob's several times both before and after purchasing his catch can and you can really tell just how passionate he is when it comes to his products, that in itself proves to me that very same passion goes into each and every product in which he designs to say the very least and those are exactly the kind of quality products I want on my car and won't settle for anything less when it comes to my Mustang and I can also tell by your posts that both you and Wayne are just as passionate about your Mustangs as I am about my own
Old 10/5/15, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by maverick1125
I didn't. The drain plug never seemed to be the right threads for the canister and that's where it is leaking. I would need a new canister, drain plug and 90* connector. I figured if that's the quality that they put out their customer service might not care either. If I'm wrong they can PM me.
You more than likely got a defective canister with threads and drain plug however UPR does offer an unlimited warranty on their products in which they do back up..

They also have a really good customer service dept as well so it would therefore be in your best interest to contact them by phone as I'm sure they'll replace your defective product under warranty with no problem and will also provide you with an RMA number to ship the defective unit back to them..

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 10/5/15 at 10:20 PM.
Old 10/6/15, 11:51 AM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's been over a year when I took it off. I doubt they would believe me if I said it was messed up from the start at this point.
Old 10/6/15, 12:07 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
How does the UPR and Bob's can stack up against the Moroso unit? I have the Moroso on mine and it seems to work well, but am always open to improvement, if there is any to be had.
Old 10/6/15, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by maverick1125
It's been over a year when I took it off. I doubt they would believe me if I said it was messed up from the start at this point.
It doesn't matter if it's been over a year.. Their warranty is unlimited, therefore they will back it up regardless of how long it's been..

It doesn't hurt to give them a call, nor does it cost you anything.. Explain your situation to them, as I'm sure they'll be willing to work with you and just make sure you don't forget to remind them about their unlimited warranty policy !

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 10/6/15 at 08:57 PM.
Old 10/6/15, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by SpectreH
How does the UPR and Bob's can stack up against the Moroso unit? I have the Moroso on mine and it seems to work well, but am always open to improvement, if there is any to be had.
IMHO ! They're pretty much similar, but to me you just can't go wrong with the quality of the Bob's can and especially for the value in price as well..

Both the UPR and Moroso cans are more expensive and don't perform any better over the Bob's can IMO..

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 10/6/15 at 09:01 PM.
Old 10/6/15, 05:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Although the JLT can did catch some of the oil vapors, there was still never the less oil liquid passing through the JLT PCV line and into the intake manifold.. IMHO the JLT can is just too small and it's lack of SS mesh in addition with not including a SS filter ring within the chamber compartment just couldn't handle all the pressure from the crankcase, but in no way am I trying to bash the folks over at JLT, however I do feel they need to come out with a much better and improved design similar to that of the Bob's catch can along with UPR's latest 4 chamber design and also Moroso's oil separator as well..

So after doing some further research, I came across this thread on TMS along with others from different Mustang sites and after reading all the positive reviews from both yourself and Wayne, I called Steven over at Bob's Autosports and after he took the time to explain the design of his catch can I then made the decision to give the Bob's can a try and needless to say, so far I've been very happy with it in which it does indeed appear to be doing it's job..

Rocky
I'm glad to be able to help and give people information about my experience with these different catch cans. I had read about catch cans prior to me purchasing my Mustang in August of 2013 and installed one less than a week after I bought the car. I originally bought UPR's first design can which was basically the same thing as Billet Tech's design.

For some reason not long after installing the UPR can, I pulled the hose off at the intake and discovered liquid oil inside the fitting. While the can seemed to be catching a decent amount of oil, I was concerned that I was still getting oil inside the fitting at the intake, especially since the reason I bought the can in the first place was to prevent oil from getting to the intake.

I did some research online and found out about the Bob's can and bought one and installed it about three months after buying the car.

I agree that Steven at Bob's is very good to talk to and I've had a few conversations with him on the phone as well as through email.

I even convinced some of the guys over on one of the Dodge Challenger forums I go to, to call Steve and ask about making some fittings to work on their cars and not long after he hooked them up, he offered a can on his website for the SRT Challengers.

Here is a couple of pictures of my Bob's can mounted by the master cylinder. I ordered the short mounting bracket from Bob's.
Name:  001_zpsa7qc2tiy.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  167.6 KB
Name:  002_zpslsbzph19.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  195.6 KB
Name:  003_zpserqvggjx.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  163.2 KB

Wayne
Old 10/6/15, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by 70monte
I'm glad to be able to help and give people information about my experience with these different catch cans. I had read about catch cans prior to me purchasing my Mustang in August of 2013 and installed one less than a week after I bought the car. I originally bought UPR's first design can which was basically the same thing as Billet Tech's design.

For some reason not long after installing the UPR can, I pulled the hose off at the intake and discovered liquid oil inside the fitting. While the can seemed to be catching a decent amount of oil, I was concerned that I was still getting oil inside the fitting at the intake, especially since the reason I bought the can in the first place was to prevent oil from getting to the intake.

I did some research online and found out about the Bob's can and bought one and installed it about three months after buying the car.

I agree that Steven at Bob's is very good to talk to and I've had a few conversations with him on the phone as well as through email.

I even convinced some of the guys over on one of the Dodge Challenger forums I go to, to call Steve and ask about making some fittings to work on their cars and not long after he hooked them up, he offered a can on his website for the SRT Challengers.

Here is a couple of pictures of my Bob's can mounted by the master cylinder. I ordered the short mounting bracket from Bob's.

Wayne
I went through the same experience with the JLT can and although it did catch a small amount of oil vapors, I also noticed liquid oil inside the fittings and still passing through the intake itself and this was with the redesigned filter, however it didn't make any difference as the JLT can still failed miserably when meeting my expectations for preventing vapor oil from entering the intake manifold for which my purpose behind purchasing a catch can was for in the first place..

Shortly afterwards, I decided to do some further research and came across the Bob's thread and your UPR thread here on TMS along with a couple of other Mustang sites as well.. Then I contacted Steven over at Bob's to discuss my displeasure with the JLT can and after he took the time to explain the differences between the design of the Bob's can over the JLT's, that was when I decided to give the Bob's can a try and then proceeded to contact JLT about my desire for wanting to return the JLT can in which they did agree to do for me..

Needless to say, I've been very pleased with the Bob's can so far and have checked the fittings at the intake several times and all I've ever noticed is just a slight film residue but no actual oil vapor liquid at all, so just as I've mentioned in this thread before, the Bob's can is definitely doing it's job and has far exceeded my expectations at this point..

I also looked into mounting the Bob's can just as you did by the master cylinder, however there are no mounting holes nor is there enough clearance as there was no options available during the 2005-10 model years to do so..

Apparently Ford must had changed the strut tower/fenderwell design during the 2011+ model year ? and when it comes to drilling holes, I am totally against doing that just as you are, therefore that also just wasn't an option as far as I'm concerned lol.

So I really had no other choice but to mount the Bob's can in the firewall mounting location as you saw for yourself in the pics that I submitted earlier in this thread.. Hopefully the distance between the Bob's can along with the PCV lines going from the firewall to the intake will be sufficient enough to keep the oil vapors cool enough in order to prevent any oil liquid from entering the upper intake

Rocky
Old 10/7/15, 08:48 AM
I Have No Life

Wayne
Wayne, well said buddy.

Btw, I didn't know you mounted yours custom, to the driver's side. So your hose goes from the passenger side to the driver's side Bob's, then back to the passenger side intake? Any specific reason why you did that? I just have mine mounted on the passenger side tower like normal.
Old 10/7/15, 02:34 PM

From what Wayne mentioned in some of his earlier posts, when placing your catch can further away from the engine and having more travel distance between your hose lines and intake manifold, the oil vapors stay cooler by having less chance of re-forming back into liquid at both the hose fittings and from getting into the intake..

Being as you have a 2012, you should be able to mount your Bob's can in the same location as Wayne's behind the strut tower in the fenderwell on your driver's side..

I also wanted to mount my Bob's can in the same location, however being that my Mustang is a 2006 GT, their were no mounting holes available in the fenderwell until the arrival of the re-designed 2011-14 models and there just isn't enough clearance on the 2005-10 models to mount there anyhow and when it comes to drilling holes that's just not something I'd be very comfortable in doing to begin with..

Therefore I really had no other option but to mount my Bob's can in one of the firewall mounting tabs..

Anyway here's a link along with a pic from Bob's website showing the mounting location behind the strut tower on a 2011-14 5.0 driver's side..

http://shop.bobsautosports.com/2011-...Driverside.htm

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 10/7/15 at 06:06 PM.
Old 10/7/15, 04:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Wayne, well said buddy.

Btw, I didn't know you mounted yours custom, to the driver's side. So your hose goes from the passenger side to the driver's side Bob's, then back to the passenger side intake? Any specific reason why you did that? I just have mine mounted on the passenger side tower like normal.
I just recently mounted my catch can there after the O-ring on my 4 chamber UPR can got stretched out while unscrewing the bottom of the can and wouldn't go back on correctly so I re-installed my Bob's can until I could get another O-ring.

As 05fastbackgt mentioned above, through my research and talking with Joe at UPR, steve at Bob's, and Tracy at RX, they all told me that it was their opinion and experience that the cooler the can stayed and the longer the hoses were, the more effective the catch can system would be.

I decided that this would be the perfect chance to see if this was true. So far it seems like I get less oil film at the connector with the can mounted next to the master cylinder. The can also stays much cooler there. After driving the car, the can is warm to the touch but does get hotter after the car sits for a little while but not hot enough to where I can't keep my hand on it.

With my Bob's can mounted at the strut tower or my UPR can mounted at the upper radiator hose as well as at the firewall, the can would be too hot to touch after driving the car.

Even though I have new O-rings for the UPR can now, I'm going to leave the Bob's can in place for awhile to see how it does for a longer period of time.
Old 10/7/15, 06:15 PM

I just recently mounted my catch can there after the O-ring on my 4 chamber UPR can got stretched out while unscrewing the bottom of the can and wouldn't go back on correctly so I re-installed my Bob's can until I could get another O-ring.

As 05fastbackgt mentioned above, through my research and talking with Joe at UPR, steve at Bob's, and Tracy at RX, they all told me that it was their opinion and experience that the cooler the can stayed and the longer the hoses were, the more effective the catch can system would be.

I decided that this would be the perfect chance to see if this was true. So far it seems like I get less oil film at the connector with the can mounted next to the master cylinder. The can also stays much cooler there. After driving the car, the can is warm to the touch but does get hotter after the car sits for a little while but not hot enough to where I can't keep my hand on it.

With my Bob's can mounted at the strut tower or my UPR can mounted at the upper radiator hose as well as at the firewall, the can would be too hot to touch after driving the car.

Even though I have new O-rings for the UPR can now, I'm going to leave the Bob's can in place for awhile to see how it does for a longer period of time.
Wayne ! would you recommend drilling holes in my fenderwell so that I can mount my Bob's can next to the master cylinder or should I just leave it mounted at the firewall ? My Mustang is a 2006 GT which doesn't have the pre-drilled mounting holes in the fenderwell as your 2014 has
Old 10/8/15, 04:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Wayne ! would you recommend drilling holes in my fenderwell so that I can mount my Bob's can next to the master cylinder or should I just leave it mounted at the firewall ? My Mustang is a 2006 GT which doesn't have the pre-drilled mounting holes in the fenderwell as your 2014 has
After looking at your pictures again and going out and looking at my fiancee's 07, I don't think there is any room to mount the Bob's can next to the master cylinder by the fender and even if you could, I don't know how you would drain it without unbolting it from the fender.

I would just leave it where it is at as I don't think you will notice enough of a difference if any to justify trying to move it.

When I talked to steve at Bob's awhile back about buying the bracket and extra hose to mount my Bob's can from the strut tower to the firewall, he said he wouldn't bother as the difference in the longer hoses would not justify the cost and I probably wouldn't notice any difference.

As long as you are just getting a slight film at the intake connector, I think that is the best you are going to do.

Wayne
Old 10/8/15, 10:52 PM

After looking at your pictures again and going out and looking at my fiancee's 07, I don't think there is any room to mount the Bob's can next to the master cylinder by the fender and even if you could, I don't know how you would drain it without unbolting it from the fender.

I would just leave it where it is at as I don't think you will notice enough of a difference if any to justify trying to move it.

When I talked to steve at Bob's awhile back about buying the bracket and extra hose to mount my Bob's can from the strut tower to the firewall, he said he wouldn't bother as the difference in the longer hoses would not justify the cost and I probably wouldn't notice any difference.

As long as you are just getting a slight film at the intake connector, I think that is the best you are going to do.

Wayne
Your absolutely right, as there just isn't enough room near the master cylinder on the 2005-10 models and it would be too much hassle having to unbolt the Bob's can from the fender to drain it..

Being as your Mustang is a 2014, you have both the clearance and are able to mount both your Bob's and UPR can next to the master cylinder in the fender without needing to drill holes.. Your also much better off mounting it there anyway rather than the firewall, as it will be much cooler in that location and you can also re-use your mounting brackets that were included with your catch cans..

At any rate, I'll just leave it mounted where it is like you recommended, as that's pretty much the best location for mounting my can just as your fiancee has on her 2007..

So far I continue to have just a slight film residue at the intake connector, but no oil liquid as of yet..

Rocky

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 10/8/15 at 10:53 PM.
Old 10/9/15, 02:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Here is what you don't want to see inside a connector. This is a picture of the fitting coming out of the exit side of my new style UPR four chamber catch can that I used to have that sat on the top of my radiator hose and was before they used some additional filtering media on the middle diffuser.
Name:  582_zps33d3aa50.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  84.3 KB
Here is how that can was mounted.
Name:  004_zpsc6d1519b.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  63.5 KB

They weren't using this filtering ring yet when the first picture was taken. The ring helped prevent the liquid oil from getting past the can.
Name:  007_zpsnhsfykjv.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  54.8 KB

Here is a picture of my fiancee's 07GT with only 18,000 miles on it. She doesn't drive it enough.
Name:  004_zps165b8334.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  146.3 KB

Wayne
Old 10/9/15, 03:05 PM
I Have No Life

^ yeah sorry to hear about the UPR issue from before. When I pulled apart my Bob's after I emptied it a couple times, the hose/fitting exiting the can was literally dry. I guess that's another testament to how well the can works, because I extracting a couple tablespoons or so, in about 1500 miles.
Old 10/9/15, 03:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Here is another picture of liquid oil inside the hose that I removed the intake connector from on my 2014 GT. I was using UPR's first generation can with their new at the time diffuser. This can was also the first can I bought for my car when it was new.
Name:  006_zps555bfd1c.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  60.5 KB

Here is the connector I took out of the hose. You can see how wet the end of the connector looks.
Name:  001_zps088e4a69.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  61.7 KB

Here is that can mounted on my car at the time.
Name:  021_zpscd8d413c.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  108.8 KB

Here was the revised diffuser I was using in the can at that time. I had just came back from a 1,200 mile vacation trip when I checked the hose.
Name:  003_zps4930551d.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  111.5 KB

Here is what the inside if the original style UPR can looked like with it's flat perforated diffuser. You can see that the revised one is stair stepped. Unfortunately it didn't appear that the revised one worked any better than the flat one.

I also orginally had this same UPR can on my fiancee's 07 GT and tried out the new diffuser in it as well with the same results that I got on my car.
Name:  003_zps4930551d.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  111.5 KB

Inside of original design UPR can with flat diffuser out.
Name:  002_zps5c87b8e1.jpg
Views: 534
Size:  80.5 KB

Here is the original style flat diffuser. I accidently posted another picture of the stepped diffuser.
Name:  004_zps81fcc594.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  91.0 KB

I believe that the Moroso catch can is designed similiar to this style of UPR can and is why I never tried using the Moroso can. I don't believe this design to be very efficient and in my experience does not do a good job.

Wayne
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
003_zps4930551d.jpg (111.5 KB, 68 views)

Last edited by 70monte; 10/9/15 at 03:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Installed the new UPR 4 chamber catch can.