2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Installed JMS PedalMax... wow!

Search this Thread

Old 9/30/14, 09:31 AM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Can you share some more feedback after driving with this for a few weeks? I'm not finding a whole lot of info online about the PedalMax, but I am convinced that it is not a BS gimmick as it was developed by one of the founders of SCT. I'm quite interested in trying this out eventually.

You said it increases the idle a bit. Could you share how much? Also did you notice this affecting your average MPG's at all? Any other nuances for better or worse that you can share? Thanks a lot!
Old 9/30/14, 10:34 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
let me ask a dump question, does this work on autos
Old 9/30/14, 11:06 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by CiniZter
Sure does, the site says it works on all 2011-2015 Ford vehicles.
Old 9/30/14, 01:17 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by CiniZter

I'm going to keep an eye on this thread. I love my 14 GT auto but the lag is a downer.
Old 9/30/14, 02:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Mine should be here any day. I'll post how I like it.
Old 9/30/14, 03:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Can you share some more feedback after driving with this for a few weeks?

I've had the PedalMax installed a couple weeks now, with varied results. The first few days, the car was an absolute beast- the throttle response was dramatically better and really added a lot of snap to the car.

On the 4th day after install, I was stuck in bumper to bumper traffic for 90 minutes on the way to work (unfortunately, not very uncommon here in Dallas). That night on the way home, it seemed like the effect was gone- and I wondered if either a.) the module had stopped functioning or b.) the ECU had somehow "learned" and adapted to the device to defeat it.

I checked the light and ensured it was still operating, then I disconnected it, disconnected the battery, performed an idle relearn and a throttle relearn procedure, then reconnected the PedalMax. Most of the effect was back- but not quite as dramatic. After a few days, it seemed to have diminishing returns.

I've sent an email to JMS Chip, but have received no response- I do not know if the ECU adapts to the device and lessens its effect (I've had tunes that lost some of their punch over time as the ECU slowly adjusts).

I can say for sure that- when freshly installed- the device makes a dramatic difference. So far my experience is the difference diminishes over time (especially after bumper to bumper traffic for some reason). If anyone has an explanation, I'd love to hear it! It would be nice if there was someone from JMS Chip here. If I can figure out how to maintain the initial effect, I will be very pleased- otherwise, I will probably just conduct a throttle relearn every once in a while to have a weekend of fun before the car's computer can ruin it again for me. Still glad I have it.

PS- I've since given them a call and left a voicemail with the same question I emailed- will post if I get a response.

You said it increases the idle a bit. Could you share how much? Also did you notice this affecting your average MPG's at all?
When first installed, it seemed the idle was maybe 50 or so rpms faster (no more than 100). I was very hopeful this would resolve an occasional idle problem I've had since having the Ford Racing ProCal tune installed, but the car did it to me once last week. When I depress and hold the clutch in, the RPMs occasionally nose dive, flutter, then the car stalls- this happens in bumper to bumper when the A/C is on and usually when I'm in 3rd or 4th and push the clutch in because traffic has stopped. I record MPGs in a log at every fill up- there has been no change post-install.

Last edited by Varilux; 9/30/14 at 03:47 PM.
Old 9/30/14, 04:53 PM
GT Member

Thanks for answering my questions and posting that follow up report, Varilux. Is it possible that you have grown accustomed to it? Or was it like a totally obvious difference that it stopped working and the throttle lag had returned? I called JMS today with some questions and was able to speak with someone right away. Hopefully they can get back to you.
Old 10/2/14, 08:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

I managed to call JMS Chip today. To be fair, I realized why I didn't get through the other day- I was in Portland and forgot the West Coast is 3 hours behind EDT (vs. the 1 hour time difference I'm used to in Dallas).

Anyway, the fellow who answered the phone indicated the PedalMax really does not interact with the ECU- so there should be no way for the ECU to adjust and defeat the PedalMax's effect on the throttle. He suggested I disconnect and see if I notice a difference (because it is possible I've gotten used to the initial improvement- guess like an addict I just need a bigger "fix" ). He also mentioned they haven't had any other feedback indicating the effect weakens over time- so perhaps it is all in my head!
Old 10/10/14, 08:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

My first one was lost by UPS. I got my replacement today. Easy hook up, but I'm 6'2" and it's a tight fit on my back, under the dash. I could only manage to get my right arm behind the dash, but was able to install it.

Wow, what a difference. No lag, what so ever. Maybe even a little too aggressive. I was making a right and accelerated to get in front of traffic that had just got a green. I broke loose my 315's and slid a little. T/C off. It seems like it gives me more power and it appears that I get boost quicker.

It comes with a plug in module to change it from 100% to 60%. I may try that to see how I like it.

If you have the funds, I believe everyone should have this. Major improvement.
Old 10/11/14, 06:27 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Originally Posted by TommyV
My first one was lost by UPS. I got my replacement today. Easy hook up, but I'm 6'2" and it's a tight fit on my back, under the dash. I could only manage to get my right arm behind the dash, but was able to install it.

Wow, what a difference. No lag, what so ever. Maybe even a little too aggressive. I was making a right and accelerated to get in front of traffic that had just got a green. I broke loose my 315's and slid a little. T/C off. It seems like it gives me more power and it appears that I get boost quicker.

It comes with a plug in module to change it from 100% to 60%. I may try that to see how I like it.

If you have the funds, I believe everyone should have this. Major improvement.
I'm ready to jump on this but I'm a bit worried about it losing its mojo after time. Keep us updated. If this thing keeps working I'm buying.
Old 10/11/14, 12:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yeah, I read that. I think I'l try to get used to it at 100%. I'll let you know if it starts to lessen.
Old 10/11/14, 12:35 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
Speed is very addicting.Once you get use to speed performance etc. your quest is for more. You get use to what you have. Think of your first really fast computer. With in a certain period of time that computer gets very slow. Well the computer is not slower give all things equal No virus you know what I am saying. Yu have to get another computer and the cycle begins again. Well these things performance Mods are the same thing.You get use to them and now are stangs are slow. LOL.

But I am wondering about this mode and if the mustangs computer has a learning capability like the GM's do of after a while does it compensate for the new device. Since we have Drive by wire throttle's the computer controls the ramp state. The only way to know is with a computer or scope.
Old 10/11/14, 03:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Now that I've had mine installed for a month, I think the effect is permanent- but you do get used to it.

Last week, I finally got around to seeing what it was like unplugged. Any doubts I had are gone... car seemed sluggish the whole drive. Got home, re-installed, and yep- its back to the "new normal!"

As far as quantifying the improvement... I've noticed the "Track Apps" accelerometer's maximum value has increased about 0.09 points over its previous reading- so I must be launching better.
Old 10/11/14, 03:54 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Originally Posted by Varilux
Now that I've had mine installed for a month, I think the effect is permanent- but you do get used to it.

Last week, I finally got around to seeing what it was like unplugged. Any doubts I had are gone... car seemed sluggish the whole drive. Got home, re-installed, and yep- its back to the "new normal!"

As far as quantifying the improvement... I've noticed the "Track Apps" accelerometer's maximum value has increased about 0.09 points over its previous reading- so I must be launching better.
That's good news. I want a tune but I'm not taking a chance while I have a extended warranty. This might fit the bill for awhile.
Old 10/11/14, 04:41 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VidPro

That's good news. I want a tune but I'm not taking a chance while I have a extended warranty. This might fit the bill for awhile.
Do they work with 3.7?
Old 10/11/14, 08:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yep!
Old 10/11/14, 10:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

anybody with a 3.7 auto install this?? This things sounds awesome!!!
Old 10/12/14, 10:01 AM
Cobra Member

It will work the same on a 3.7 as it does on a 5.0. Same components as far as this mod goes
Old 10/13/14, 08:45 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Sounds like a decent little mod. Going to have to look into this.
Old 10/15/14, 10:53 AM
Bullitt Member

http://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-...html?styleid=7

I did this FREE mod over 3 years ago. Same thing but free.

Quick Reply: Installed JMS PedalMax... wow!