Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Improving Clutch Feel

Search this Thread

Old 3/26/15, 09:27 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Improving Clutch Feel

Long story short I hate how the clutch feels in this car. So incredibly vague. How can I improve the feel? I just want to be able to feel the engagement better. New clutch lines? New clutch assembly? Flywheel is already on my list, although I'm not sure that would help at all.
Old 3/26/15, 09:34 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Some have removed the helper spring from the clutch pedal and felt that it improved feel. It does make it harder to push the clutch in.
Old 3/26/15, 09:55 PM
Cobra R Member

I've read up on that and it didn't seem like many people had positive results...and those that did really didn't notice a huge difference.

I might try it just to see, I guess.
Old 3/27/15, 06:21 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I know what you mean. I'm not crazy about the clutch feel especially after I dump the clutch either. The pedal doesn't come back up unless I use my foot!

I ordered the SR braided clutchline and my mechanic and two other shops I called said that the clutchline wouldn't have fixed that issue for me and told me to just wait to change everything to a better performance clutch and to do the line then. From reading around and advice from friends, it should improve the feel. its just not a gamble I want to take. I don't want to drop the car off and get charged 3-4 hours labor for having to completely bleed the system properly.

if you already have the flywheel on your list, you must already be looking at a clutch as well.

what brands are you looking at right now?
Old 3/27/15, 07:13 AM
Cobra R Member

I don't have anything specific in mind, since I'm not doing many power upgrades I don't really need a heavy duty clutch, will pick it based on pedal feel for the most part.
Old 3/27/15, 09:03 AM
Cobra Member

what exactly is it that you don't like? how soft it is? the travel distance required to engage/disengage the clutch? the fact that it doesn't come back if you dump it?
Old 3/27/15, 09:21 AM
Cobra R Member

I don't like that I can't feel the clutch engagement... Like at all. It might as well just be a spring loaded pedal connected to nothing. Don't care how heavy it is, I don't like how high it engages but that's not really a concern, I just want to feel the clutch through the pedal. It's completely numb feeling right now.
Old 3/27/15, 09:28 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Pull out the spring. I removed mine .. I prefer the heavier old school feeling clutch pedal effort.
Old 3/27/15, 10:09 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remove the clutch spring like others have said and also switch to a better brake fluid since the clutch uses the brake fluid.
Old 3/27/15, 11:00 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Joeywhat
I don't like that I can't feel the clutch engagement... Like at all. It might as well just be a spring loaded pedal connected to nothing. Don't care how heavy it is, I don't like how high it engages but that's not really a concern, I just want to feel the clutch through the pedal. It's completely numb feeling right now.
How many miles are on your car? Mine has gotten better in "feel" with age, though the not disengaging fully has gotten worse...which is why fluid will be changed as soon as my car is back from the body shop.
Old 3/27/15, 11:16 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 2013 GT, I replaced the factory restrictive Clutch Line with a JHR Braided SS, {Joe Heck Racing} purchased from Lethal Performance. I personally verified the difference of the internal fitting size difference comparing Factory to JHR a huge difference. The Factory Line Restricts Fluid Velocity, The JHR Line is Larger Diameter Internally with Less Restrictive Fittings. The Clutch Pedal feels so much better and you can feel the take up point. It also ended the Clutch Fade Problem at the Drag Strip. My Clutch, Flywheel are all Factory Stock. It's a $ 69.00 Dollar Fix, Even if upgrade your Clutch, Disk, Flywheel in the future. Any Questions send me PM.
Old 3/27/15, 06:20 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I took the spring out and immediately could tell where the take up point was. Much better in my opinion. I still plan on doing the clutch line upgrade in the future. No cost improvement and still no issues is a win in my book.
Old 3/27/15, 08:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mine is one of the early 13's, I did not know my clutch is much heavy(-ier) than later made model years until my friend and I went to buy his Mustang at the dealership together.

I immediately noticed how light it felt, hence we tried a few late 13s to 14s because I thought something was wrong. Clearly it wasn't the case all of them felt the same, light as feather compare to how mine feels. A Revision of some sort?

Anyways, he points out that sometimes the clutch gets stuck down to the floor does not want to return fully at high rpm, whereas mine has not had such issue.

Will removing this 'spring(?)' you guys mentioned here solve the issue, I understand by doing so, it will make the clutch heavier??
Old 3/28/15, 01:14 PM
Cobra R Member

Removed the spring, and it's certainly an improvement. Clutch engagement is still pretty vague...although now I can at least feel it. Plus the pedal movement feels more linear now, before it felt like the pressure kept changing.

I think I'll try a clutch line next. I've got GT calipers to install anyways, so might as well just flush the whole system and toss in some DOT 4 or something.
Old 3/28/15, 07:38 PM
Cobra Member

make sure that you get the clutch line with the bleeder, it'll make your life a lot easier. I wish I had.
Old 6/1/15, 03:49 PM
Cobra R Member

JHR clutch line installed. Easy to do and noticeably better clutch feel.
Old 6/2/15, 06:32 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Joeywhat
JHR clutch line installed. Easy to do and noticeably better clutch feel.

really? I ordered and installed the SR Performance clutch line and it feels the exact same as the stock one. the only difference is that the pedal mildly comes back after dumping the clutch where as before, it didn't. otherwise, it feels the exact same.
Old 6/2/15, 11:55 AM
Cobra R Member

Yes, the clutch is no longer so vague, and engages/disengages much more quickly if I'm quick on the clutch. I can now drive at all speeds without jerkiness.
Old 6/2/15, 12:20 PM
Cobra Member

I should remove the spring as well and see how it fares. as far as jerkiness goes, I don't have that issue. I listen to the motor and can gauge my shifts from it. otherwise, I'd be lost as well.
Old 6/2/15, 12:41 PM
Cobra R Member

Yeah, I could eliminate jerking by paying real close attention to everything while driving, but I do like to just sit back and drive once in a while. Now my foot can actually feel the engagement point so it's much easier to accomplish.

Quick Reply: Improving Clutch Feel