Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

I now have the imfamous 5.0 engine tick @ 19,650 miles

Search this Thread

Old 7/1/15, 05:31 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well. Changed the oil and no tick... Whew!!!!
Old 7/1/15, 10:21 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Give it some time. We went about 500 miles after the oil change before we started hearing the tick.
Old 7/1/15, 01:28 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Coyote5-0
All the threads I've read on the engine tick, it doesn't seem like anyone knows the cause of it or has had a catastrophic engine failure as a result. I don't think Ford knows what the problem is, or the problem is not something that will cause a failure. Likely the latter. I've heard of people with 60k+ miles on their Mustang with the tick and still haven't had any major failure. The only stories I've read of people getting rid of the tick, had their engine completely replaced. Those are pretty rare situations where the dealer (mistakenly) recognized it as a major issue and tried everything until getting authorization to replace the engine. That's not going to happen for all of us with the tick. That's not feasible by Ford. i think it's going to just end up being a live-with-it situation.
I got my car back yesterday after having the work outlined in TSB 12-8-14 and my tick is 100% gone. Maybe I am one of the lucky few who had the issue resolved.
Old 7/1/15, 05:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Was your noise similar to the one in the YouTube video I posted?
Old 7/2/15, 07:11 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by 14Glassback
Was your noise similar to the one in the YouTube video I posted?
Yes. The video you posted is what my car sounded like. The video is how it sounded when I had the AC off, and if you look at my first post you can hear what it sounded like with AC on.

Make sure you take it to a good dealer, especially one that sells lots of mustangs. The dealer I bought the car from told me it was normal so I drove 40 mins to the dealer that all the guys in the local club recommended.

You can see my video in the first post of this thread.
Old 7/2/15, 10:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 2012White5.0
Yes. The video you posted is what my car sounded like. The video is how it sounded when I had the AC off, and if you look at my first post you can hear what it sounded like with AC on.

Make sure you take it to a good dealer, especially one that sells lots of mustangs. The dealer I bought the car from told me it was normal so I drove 40 mins to the dealer that all the guys in the local club recommended.

You can see my video in the first post of this thread.
I do like and trust my Dealer. But I was not there the second time they had my car. I dropped it off before work and picked it up after. My noise does not really change like yours does in the video you posted with AC on. My noise is only on light accel like in my video. But I was still pretty confident the bulletin would correct my problem. I wish I could have driven my car with the AC belt off. The one thing I noticed, or rather did not notice. Was lack of evidence of them being under the hood the second time I dropped my car off. I expected to see tool marks on the belt tensioner or hand/arm prints under the hood somewhere which I did not find. I did find hand prints around the outside of the car in places. Where the tech leaned against the car and what not. But I have worked in a dealer for almost a decade and I understand those things will happen. No matter how much people think they should not. Deysha has my info now and so I am confident she can get something accomplished! You are Awesome Deysha! I personally think they need to try performing the TSB before doing anything else. But I know how warranty work goes too.
Old 7/2/15, 12:48 PM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by FromZto5
So TSBs that occur outside of 3/36 have to be paid for by the customer???? Even though it's a defect from the manufacturer???
A TSB is a Technical Service Bulletin to help technicians address and diagnose a common or difficult to diagnose failure more quickly and efficiently. ...
What Coyote5-0 said is totally correct, FromZto5.

I do like and trust my Dealer. But I was not there the second time they had my car. I dropped it off before work and picked it up after. My noise does not really change like yours does in the video you posted with AC on. My noise is only on light accel like in my video. But I was still pretty confident the bulletin would correct my problem. I wish I could have driven my car with the AC belt off. The one thing I noticed, or rather did not notice. Was lack of evidence of them being under the hood the second time I dropped my car off. I expected to see tool marks on the belt tensioner or hand/arm prints under the hood somewhere which I did not find. I did find hand prints around the outside of the car in places. Where the tech leaned against the car and what not. But I have worked in a dealer for almost a decade and I understand those things will happen. No matter how much people think they should not. Deysha has my info now and so I am confident she can get something accomplished! You are Awesome Deysha! I personally think they need to try performing the TSB before doing anything else. But I know how warranty work goes too.
Thanks for the kind words and you’re welcome, 14Glassback!!

Deysha
Old 7/10/15, 11:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

Deysha... How long should I expect to wait before I hear something?... Have not heard at all from anyone... Thanks!
Old 7/10/15, 02:51 PM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Deysha... How long should I expect to wait before I hear something?... Have not heard at all from anyone... Thanks!
Thanks for the heads-up, 14Glassback! I'll have your CSM contact you no later than Monday.

Deysha
Old 7/13/15, 05:57 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I picked up my ~24,000 mile GT with the new water pump last Thursday...So far, the tick appears to be gone.

The service dept at Sarat Ford in Agawam, MA took extremely good care of me. They have one or two reps with attitude problems but in the end, they always come through. They even made a point to pull my car into the shop overnight to keep it out of the rain without me even asking.

I will keep everyone posted.
Old 7/14/15, 03:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
The ticking came back and getting louder by the day. We're looking at a person who once a very proud owner of iconic american muscle car slowly turning into a hater. Overwhelmed by 'nice car!' compliments, embarrassed by driving away with ticking noise.

All the threads I've read on the engine tick, it doesn't seem like anyone knows the cause of it or has had a catastrophic engine failure as a result. I don't think Ford knows what the problem is, or the problem is not something that will cause a failure. Likely the latter. I've heard of people with 60k+ miles on their Mustang with the tick and still haven't had any major failure. The only stories I've read of people getting rid of the tick, had their engine completely replaced. Those are pretty rare situations where the dealer (mistakenly) recognized it as a major issue and tried everything until getting authorization to replace the engine. That's not going to happen for all of us with the tick. That's not feasible by Ford. i think it's going to just end up being a live-with-it situation.
How do we live with something we do not love anymore?

Originally Posted by pminri
Well I'm at the dealership getting my oil changed , I would do this myself but the engine was changed at 10k and it all started with the engine tick, and then an engine knock. There is now 5k on this new motor and this is its first oil change since install.
I told the service manager to listen to the car before it went in to make sure it has. No tick.
I'll update when either I leave to go home or deliver the car to the other side of the building to the service shop.
Did you get a new Engine for this??? The tick on mine started from the 2nd oil change.

Originally Posted by scottmoyer
Give it some time. We went about 500 miles after the oil change before we started hearing the tick.
Mine started immediately after 2nd oil change, although it did eventually go away with miles. But what about the noise after 3rd/next oil change? Just did my 4th last Sat and the tick is still there, maybe worse.

Originally Posted by MRGTX
I picked up my ~24,000 mile GT with the new water pump last Thursday...So far, the tick appears to be gone.

The service dept at Sarat Ford in Agawam, MA took extremely good care of me. They have one or two reps with attitude problems but in the end, they always come through. They even made a point to pull my car into the shop overnight to keep it out of the rain without me even asking.
I will keep everyone posted.
Water pump?
Old 7/19/15, 10:56 PM
Cobra Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
OP, can you please post photo of your engine bay, showing water pump and belts? There should be a new tensioner device they have added.
Old 7/20/15, 11:24 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by PonyMuscletang13
The ticking came back and getting louder by the day. We're looking at a person who once a very proud owner of iconic american muscle car slowly turning into a hater. Overwhelmed by 'nice car!' compliments, embarrassed by driving away with ticking noise.How do we live with something we do not love anymore?Did you get a new Engine for this??? The tick on mine started from the 2nd oil change.Mine started immediately after 2nd oil change, although it did eventually go away with miles. But what about the noise after 3rd/next oil change? Just did my 4th last Sat and the tick is still there, maybe worse.Water pump?
I got a new engine because after the ticking started I heard a knocking sound from my engine that only happened from 700rpm to 900rpm. I brought it down to the dealer and they told me there were score marks on the crank and the main bearings were out of spec. That created some sloppy movement of the crank at that rpm. I don't think they are related but what is funny is that this new engine does not tick even after its first oil change unlike the original engine.
Old 7/27/15, 02:19 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by pminri
I got a new engine because after the ticking started I heard a knocking sound from my engine that only happened from 700rpm to 900rpm. I brought it down to the dealer and they told me there were score marks on the crank and the main bearings were out of spec. That created some sloppy movement of the crank at that rpm. I don't think they are related but what is funny is that this new engine does not tick even after its first oil change unlike the original engine.
Could you hear the knock on inside of car? Or would you need to hear it with the opened hood?
Old 7/27/15, 12:11 PM
Bullitt Member

The knock you could hear it best inside with the windows up. The tick you could hear anywhere, especially when next to a wall in a drive up window.
Old 7/29/15, 10:36 AM
Cobra Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
OP, how about that pic?

Last edited by xtc.inc; 7/29/15 at 10:39 AM.
Old 8/5/15, 07:01 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Is this infamous ticking only occurs with manual cars or auto as well?
Old 8/5/15, 07:05 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
Auto and manuals have it. I have heard it described as sounding like a gas grill igniter.
Old 8/5/15, 07:07 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by SpectreH
Auto and manuals have it. I have heard it described as sounding like a gas grill igniter.
that's exactly what it sounds like. Mine got even worse after changing the oil, and it's quite embarrassing
Old 8/5/15, 07:08 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
that's exactly what it sounds like. Mine got even worse after changing the oil, and it's quite embarrassing
Craptastic! Thanks for the confirmation.

Quick Reply: I now have the imfamous 5.0 engine tick @ 19,650 miles