2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

I Got the Hood Corrosion

Search this Thread

Old 3/26/15, 03:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, that is some nasty looking corrosion. One of the worst I've seen.
Old 3/26/15, 03:48 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by 3point7
Probably because it's no longer just the hood.

Its not how long it actually takes to repair. It's how long it takes before they get to work on the car. The body shops here do not believe in taking a car in and then getting to work on it the next day. You leave your car there and they get to it when they get to it.

This car has been exceptionally well cared for and garage kept since the day I bought it. There is no excuse for this kind of nonsense Ford and there is no excuse for not providing a loaner car be it for one day or fourteen days. I could see it if this was a problem that I caused. This is a problem that Ford caused and they won't stand behind their product by providing a loaner while they fix their problem.
Most of that is sealer and bubbled paint. If white dust comes out when you scrap it then it's corrosion. The fenders are steel and they usually don't rust.
Old 3/26/15, 05:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by TheReaper
Most of that is sealer and bubbled paint. If white dust comes out when you scrap it then it's corrosion. The fenders are steel and they usually don't rust.
There is some white in it. It's just hard to see in the pictures. I haven't scraped at it because I don't want to make it worse.
Old 3/26/15, 05:56 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by TheReaper
I mostly agree, but gotta reword just a little:

Most of that is poor workmanship prior to paint that was not cleaned up and got painted over, and passed by quality control as 'good enough not to fix'.
I think some of that was just crap under the paint, but in any event, I can see the white in the holes in the third pic... likely was just crap that got painted, the paint didnt like it, now its corroding under the crap...I bet hyundai wished their cheapest model could have such high quality...look at this ugly stuff hyundai puts out:
<sarcasm>
Attached Thumbnails I Got the Hood Corrosion-hyundai3.jpg  

Last edited by ford4v429; 3/26/15 at 05:57 PM.
Old 3/26/15, 06:47 PM
Bullitt Member

I had those spots last year and they turned into corrosion.
Old 3/26/15, 10:04 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by ford4v429
I mostly agree, but gotta reword just a little:

Most of that is poor workmanship prior to paint that was not cleaned up and got painted over, and passed by quality control as 'good enough not to fix'.
I think some of that was just crap under the paint, but in any event, I can see the white in the holes in the third pic... likely was just crap that got painted, the paint didnt like it, now its corroding under the crap...I bet hyundai wished their cheapest model could have such high quality...look at this ugly stuff hyundai puts out:
<sarcasm>

It looks like Ford could learn something about seams from Hyundai.
Old 3/26/15, 10:55 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is awesome! Glad they came to their senses. I got a Chevy Malibu for the couple days and I absolutely hated it.
Old 3/27/15, 08:52 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Good news, the dealership has agreed to provide a rental car while they have my car. So it all worked out for the better in the end. I drop the car off Monday morning.
That's great news, 3point7!

Deysha
Old 3/27/15, 02:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 50HHHHH
That is awesome! Glad they came to their senses. I got a Chevy Malibu for the couple days and I absolutely hated it.
I'm sure they'll give me something like that. So long as I have some transportation to get to and from work while my car is in the shop I'm not going to complain.
Old 3/30/15, 11:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Okay, what a day.

So I dropped off my car this morning and went over to the rental car agency that is right there in the dealership to get the rental car they arranged for me. The girl pulls up a 2013 V6 Mustang drop top. The first thing I notice is that the black air splitter on the front of the car is hanging down on one side. I reached down and tapped it and asked the girl "What about this?" She says "It's normal wear and tear". Only she's not looking at the splitter she's looking at some scratch.

So later I'm about to head to work and I look over my paperwork and notice that she has noted that the car has no damage. Something didn't feel right so I went back by the dealership and asked her about it. She says "what damage?"

We went outside to look at the car and she says I don't remember that being like that. I'm trying not to lose my cool at this point. I said "Yes it was that's why I reached down and tapped it and asked you about it." She somehow never saw this thing and it was glaringly obvious to me. Anyway, long story short, they gave me a 2015 V6 Mustang to make up for the inconvenience.
Old 3/31/15, 04:19 AM
Bullitt Member

Are you saying they gave you a new car?
Old 3/31/15, 07:41 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 88lx50
Are you saying they gave you a new car?
Yes, the rental car company gave me a 2015 V6 Mustang.

I have to say that after driving both the V6 and the Ecoboost if I was in the market for a 2015 Mustang I would take the V6 over the Ecoboost. The performance level is good enough for me and the interior is still pretty nice despite being the stripper model. It still has the backup camera and the interior is well done with decent materials. It wouldn't bother me to take the V6 over the 4.
Old 3/31/15, 08:35 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It is a shame the dealers don't do a better job of service (or at least some of them). In the DFW area, we have a bunch of dealerships all owned by the Sewell family (unfortunately, Ford is about the only make they don't have a dealership for). I've purchased maybe 4 used cars from Sewell dealerships, and have always received amazing service during and after the sale.

On the other hand, I've purchased two vehicles ('14 GT new and an F150 that was 1 year old) at a large local Ford dealer, and have been underwhelmed both during and after the sale. Its almost like its a bunch of amateurs running the dealership! The best (pretty much only) service I get from Ford is from the on-line representatives here on the site. Fortunately, I have not had too many issues with my Mustang- so my experiences with the dealer have been limited (I dread having to deal with them for any issue).
Old 3/31/15, 11:36 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just got a voice mail from the dealer, it looks like they are going to replace the hood the first time around. When I originally went the tech said they see multiples of these a week and he said he was scared of what was going to happen with the F150.
Old 3/31/15, 01:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by scott9050
Just got a voice mail from the dealer, it looks like they are going to replace the hood the first time around. When I originally went the tech said they see multiples of these a week and he said he was scared of what was going to happen with the F150.
My dealership tried to claim they never see Mustangs with hood corrosion but they get a lot of Explorers and Taurus with the problem. I said "spend five seconds on a google search and you'll see all the Mustangs you want with hood corrosion." Pretty much any Ford with an aluminium hood is experiencing this issue. The F150 has it and so do other Ford products. I feel fairly certain that Ford corporate is trying to play the "see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil" game and pretend its not going on unless a customer brings it to their attention. But if you don't bring it to their attention or if you don't find it until you are past 36K miles they aren't going to do a thing for you. They certainly aren't going to issue a recall unless they are forced to by NHTSA. Can you imagine recalling every aluminum hood Ford has used since the year 2000? It would be the biggest recall in the history of the universe. If they can't get hoods right, there's no way I would buy an all aluminium F150. Not that I would anyway because the price on new trucks is ridiculous.

By the way I got my car back today so those of you who said it shouldn't take more than two days were spot on. It took two days. The corrosion is gone and they did a good job. Hopefully it won't come back.

Last edited by 3point7; 3/31/15 at 01:40 PM.
Old 3/31/15, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by scott9050
... By the way I got my car back today so those of you who said it shouldn't take more than two days were spot on. It took two days. The corrosion is gone and they did a good job. Hopefully it won't come back.
That’s great news, guys! Thank you for the updates.

Deysha
Old 3/31/15, 05:23 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just found a good dealer here in Germany....finally. I have been looking for one for over a year to get all this stuff taken care of. We will see what happens. I'm very glad it worked out for you. Here in Germany they have laws that hold the businesses accountable no matter what. I'm alsmost to 36K and couldn't hold out any longer.
Old 4/1/15, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Stevedotmil
I just found a good dealer here in Germany....finally. I have been looking for one for over a year to get all this stuff taken care of. We will see what happens. I'm very glad it worked out for you. Here in Germany they have laws that hold the businesses accountable no matter what. I'm alsmost to 36K and couldn't hold out any longer.
That's great, Stevedotmil!

Deysha
Old 4/1/15, 01:49 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Finally. And right before I'm over the bumper to bumper.