Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

I did it...test drove the new S550, my thoughts compared to my 12

Search this Thread

Old 4/1/15, 02:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by FromZto5
I definitely agree there. That was one of my observations right away too. More isolation of road noise, etc. More refined… good thing for sure. But for my toy muscle car, I want unfiltered
Yes the road noise is sedan like in the S550. It is very quiet and comfortable ride. You can of course hear the motor when you put the pedal down as you would in just about any car. At cruising speed, however, it is a nice quiet ride and undeniably quieter than the S197.

There are a number of small improvements that I noted such as the grasping part of the seat belt buckle, more comfortable seats, smaller steering wheel (I liked that) and better visibility from inside the cabin.
Old 4/1/15, 03:02 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 3point7
Okay, so they gave me a 2015 V6 loaner while they fixed the hood corrosion on my 2014. I had it for about 24 hours and got a fair amount of time behind the wheel. First thing I would say is that if I was in the market for an S550 at the V6 / Ecoboost price range I would go with the V6. It has a good interior and the performance level is good enough for daily driving to give the owner some spirited driving. Paying the extra money for the premium interior would not be worth it in my book. Secondly, the cabin noise is noticeably quieter than in my S197 and while the car does have good handling characteristics it also feels heavy and clumsy at times. I don't know what they have done to the 3.7 but it just didn't feel like it had any grunt like mine does. Maybe they had it in demonstration mode or something. There are a number of minor improvements over the S197 but frankly I didn't see or experience anything that would incline me to trade my 2014 for one. It's just not worth the increased price tag in my opinion.

I agree, I like the 15 but not enough to trade in my 14.

Last edited by SONICBOOST; 4/1/15 at 03:05 PM.
Old 4/15/15, 12:47 PM
Cobra Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I hate to drag this thread up again but I was also able to drive the '15. I had to go to phoenix this past weekend to look at ASU's grad program (long story). Anyway I got my dad to rent the mustang while we were there. We got a competition orange v6 with 3500 miles on it. Im not going to talk about the design because everyone has a strong opinion about that. One thing I did notice when first sitting in the driver seat was that the greenhouse was smaller than my '14. On a scale of 2014 mustang to Camaro, Id say its closer to the '14 but it took me 10 minutes to get use to. The handling was pretty good when turning but the ride was not as refined as I thought it would be. The seating position was lower, which I liked better than the seating position in mine. Moving on the the engine and trans, they are the same to what Im use to, except for the paddle shifters. Strangely they work when you're not in sport mode but the trans wont let you shift when you want. I guess in sport mode that changes. That was it, we only had the car for 2 days and I only got to drive it for a short time. In the end if I had the chance to get a '15 I would but it would have to be a premium gt.

Oh, and heres a picture of my dad in the car trying to figure out the push button start.
Name:  R08pHOZ.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  606.2 KB
Old 4/15/15, 03:06 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
^ So which did you end liking better???? yours or the 15? That's the real question. And WHY!
Old 4/15/15, 03:40 PM
Cobra Member

^ So which did you end liking better???? yours or the 15? That's the real question. And WHY!
I liked them both and I like the design of both (dont kill me). If I had the ability to trade up to a '15 gt premium I would. But for now Im staying with mine.
Old 4/16/15, 11:22 AM
I Have No Life

I saw another S550 today in the parking lot. I need to talk to the owner. I want to get his/her perspective. They're more common place now. More I see it though, the more I love my 2012 shape
Old 4/16/15, 11:38 AM
Cobra Member

I saw another S550 today in the parking lot. I need to talk to the owner. I want to get his/her perspective. They're more common place now. More I see it though, the more I love my 2012 shape
Maybe its just been the weather but I have only seen a handful of '15s around NJ. AZ on the other hand was littered with '15s and mustangs in general. It must be the endless sunshine and above freezing temps!
Old 4/16/15, 02:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not sure if this has been commented on yet, but have any of you 13-14 auto owners had a chance to compare to the new automatics?

They're WAY better! The shifting is almost instant! Also feels better with the paddle shifters. The new ones absolutely slaughter the older autos. Whatever ford did they fixed the auto. Wish it could be translated to a fix for the older auto.

As for the manual, I hated the manual on the older cars, mainly the clutch. At least in the car I drove you had to smash the pedal all the way down to get it to respond. Are the new clutches better? Ive read mixed results.

The interior view is worse too on the new ones. Feels like the windows are smaller. Or maybe its cause of the lower seating position. Which by the way, the new seat adjustment methods suck. Really horrible. But! They finally added telescopic steering wheels!!!!!!!

Between the 2.3 and the 3.7, I didn't notice anything better about the 2.3. But then again I compared the 2.3 to my v6. Apparently they dont have many v6s on the lots so ive yet to drive one. But the 2.3 felt if anything slightly slower than the v6.

My favorite thing is the new autos.. That alone is almost worth trading up.. This time to a v8 of course lol
Old 4/16/15, 02:35 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by roadrunner
Not sure if this has been commented on yet, but have any of you 13-14 auto owners had a chance to compare to the new automatics?

They're WAY better! The shifting is almost instant! Also feels better with the paddle shifters. The new ones absolutely slaughter the older autos. Whatever ford did they fixed the auto. Wish it could be translated to a fix for the older auto.

As for the manual, I hated the manual on the older cars, mainly the clutch. At least in the car I drove you had to smash the pedal all the way down to get it to respond. Are the new clutches better? Ive read mixed results.

The interior view is worse too on the new ones. Feels like the windows are smaller. Or maybe its cause of the lower seating position. Which by the way, the new seat adjustment methods suck. Really horrible. But! They finally added telescopic steering wheels!!!!!!!

Between the 2.3 and the 3.7, I didn't notice anything better about the 2.3. But then again I compared the 2.3 to my v6. Apparently they dont have many v6s on the lots so ive yet to drive one. But the 2.3 felt if anything slightly slower than the v6.

My favorite thing is the new autos.. That alone is almost worth trading up.. This time to a v8 of course lol
I didnt notice a difference between the autos, from what i could tell they both shifted the same. I actually liked the lower seat position, it feels like your in the car not riding on the car. And the telescoping steering wheel was a great add, they should have put that in the '14s.
Old 4/16/15, 02:56 PM
I Have No Life

The clutch I think I commented on earlier. I don't like the new clutches on s550 5.0 because it's wayyyyyy too soft and has a firmer feel for the first 30% travel, then suddenly becomes so soft it's like stepping on pudding, all the way down to the floor. It's definitely not "muscle car" feeling.
Old 4/16/15, 04:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

X2 to that
Old 4/17/15, 07:57 AM
GT Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Drove past the dealership on the way to work today and noticed a bunch of S197's in the used car lot.

Looks like I am in the minority around here when I say I prefer my '14 over the '15.
Old 4/17/15, 08:34 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I test drove a ’15 Ecoboost the other day and was really surprise how much I liked it. No it did not have the power and sound of my GT. However, it felt like a completely different car both in fit and finish. The new Mustang really handles more like sports car in my opinion. Ford really did achieve what they set out to do and that was to make it a more Euro.

Last edited by SpeedCostsMoney; 4/17/15 at 08:38 AM.
Old 4/17/15, 07:46 PM

I love my 14, I'm trying hard to like the looks of the 15, it just has not happened yet.
Old 4/18/15, 12:45 PM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I like Marilyn much more.
Old 4/20/15, 11:21 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Okay, I've been on three different lots at different times in the last few months and looked at the '15s. Last night was the first time with my wife, 'cause there was a yellow '15 GT a the local dealer. We walked around it a few times, and we are both saying...well, I like some things about it, but really don't like others. And, consistent to all other cars I have seen to date, the exterior fit and finish is poor. I mean, downright sloppy in the case of last night's GT. At least a 3/16" mismatch of the front plastic bumper area to the front quarter panel. Really bad. Every other car I have looked at has poor panel gaps, non-flush mating panels, etc. I mean, seriously...Ford has to fix this or they will be laughed out of Europe. Each time I return home and look at my 2012 Gt and the fit is way better.

I would like to seriously consider buying a GT350, but I won't do it if the quality does not improve.

As for liking the '15, I am still ho-hum. I don't hate it. It's just not as iconic as the previous gens. I hope the GT350 is hellaciously fun and raucous to overcome the ho-humness of the body styling and the cheapy interior ***** and stuff.
Old 4/21/15, 09:25 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by 14BlackGT
I like Marilyn much more.
me too! thanks.

Originally Posted by tetstang
Okay, I've been on three different lots at different times in the last few months and looked at the '15s. Last night was the first time with my wife, 'cause there was a yellow '15 GT a the local dealer. We walked around it a few times, and we are both saying...well, I like some things about it, but really don't like others. And, consistent to all other cars I have seen to date, the exterior fit and finish is poor. I mean, downright sloppy in the case of last night's GT. At least a 3/16" mismatch of the front plastic bumper area to the front quarter panel. Really bad. Every other car I have looked at has poor panel gaps, non-flush mating panels, etc. I mean, seriously...Ford has to fix this or they will be laughed out of Europe. Each time I return home and look at my 2012 Gt and the fit is way better.

I would like to seriously consider buying a GT350, but I won't do it if the quality does not improve.

As for liking the '15, I am still ho-hum. I don't hate it. It's just not as iconic as the previous gens. I hope the GT350 is hellaciously fun and raucous to overcome the ho-humness of the body styling and the cheapy interior ***** and stuff.
Interesting. I didn't take a look at the car that long and deep enough to notice the gaps. Then again, knowing how detailed I am, I can usually spot those things right away.
Old 4/21/15, 10:32 AM
GT Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Was getting my oil changed and saw a DIB V6 and a Black ECO sitting on the lot and thought, "Wow I made the right choice for me when I bought the '14" then sitting waiting for my car I overheard a few people talking about the '15. They all said how much more they liked it than the old style.

Went to atlanta last week and was out to lunch with some coworkers when a '15 drove by. I thought, "Man am I glad I bought my 14." Eveyone else in the car said how much they loved the '15

Looks like we are the minority guys.
Old 4/21/15, 08:03 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 3point7
Yes the road noise is sedan like in the S550. It is very quiet and comfortable ride. You can of course hear the motor when you put the pedal down as you would in just about any car. At cruising speed, however, it is a nice quiet ride and undeniably quieter than the S197.

There are a number of small improvements that I noted such as the grasping part of the seat belt buckle, more comfortable seats, smaller steering wheel (I liked that) and better visibility from inside the cabin.
The visibility when switching lanes is the main thing I don't like about my 14, I find myself always having to really turn my head when switching lanes.
Old 2/26/16, 11:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought a new S550 for most of the reasons the rest of you would not. This will be a dsily driver and will see NH winters. I got every option I could and was quite happy with the power, but the exhaust note could be better ( Borla cat back?). I did not do a launch on the test drive but was able to squeal the tires and kick out the rear going from 2nd to 3rd. To me the power was pretty good.

The S550 is now a sports car. I agree that if you want pure muscle then a Challenger with a big honking engine and the scat pack would give you that raw power. Very little tech and all muscle (and weight). In the end, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I cannot wait to take delivery of my S550 around the middle of next month.

Quick Reply: I did it...test drove the new S550, my thoughts compared to my 12