Go Back   The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang by Model Year > 2010-2014 Mustang
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

2010-2014 Mustang News of the Current Generation Mustang
Sponsored By: CARiD

Welcome to The Mustang Source!
Welcome to The Mustang Source,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 12/13/10, 8:24 AM   #1
Mach 1 Member

John

2010 Red Candy GT
Question how to protect clear coated wheels in winter?

I picked up some used clear-coated aluminum wheels for the winter and I can see that they already have some corrosion under the clear coat. I have had this happen to some other wheels in the past and in about 5 years they were completely corroded. (Largely due to neglect on my part . . . well, it was my wife's car and I can't convince her to drive through a car wash every now and then instead of always driving by them . . . and I didn't do it myself)

So anyway, I want to prevent this if I can --

- I'm thinking I'll give the wheels a good coat or two of good auto wax / polish before I put them on the car; any specific suggestions on this?

- any ideas about what to do about the corrosion that is already under the clear coat to keep it from spreading? Dig it out and then re-clear coat?

thanks in advance for any and all suggestions
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/13/10, 8:32 AM   #2
Super Moderator
TMS Staff

Steve

2011 Mustang GT
Garage
Poorboys wheel sealant. Apply it after a good cleaning and polish and again before you put them away and that should do the trick.
Old 12/13/10, 1:04 PM   #3
Mach 1 Member

Keith

2008 Mustang GT
I use Wheel Wax http://www.wheelwax.com/ it is especially made for wheels, although any good car wax will be better than doing nothing.

Other cars: 1990 Miata, 2005 Mini Cooper, 2007 Subaru Forester XT, 2012 Ford Fusion, 2013 Subaru BRZ

Past Mustangs: 2001 Bullitt, 1989 5.0 LX, 1981 Cobra V8
Ministang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/13/10, 3:05 PM   #4
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

KARMAN

06MustangGT 04MustangGTconvertible
Garage
I also picked up a 2nd set with the same problem

I have been trying to figure out what to do.
The wheels have no road rash, but they were driven in winter.
My friend says they look fine, but I can see the corrosion and it bothers me.
I am inclined to strip the clear and polish the wheels before I put on tires.
What I really want to know is the best way to do this.
I have found some info on the web and it seems that good paint stripper and then a good polish should clean them up.
Then a good rattle can clear coat in a low dust environment should finish it off.
I just haven't gotten to it yet.
Any info would be appreciated.
MODS: JLT CAI, 93 Octane SCT dyno tune, WebElectric sequential tail lights & pony corral, Front plate relocation,Hella 500 Driving lights instead of fogs with high/low beam wiring switched,GMS fixed double strut brace and A-arm brace.
Custom Dyno Tuned by: http://www.performance-dyno.com
karman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/13/10, 3:09 PM   #5
Super Moderator
TMS Staff

Steve

2011 Mustang GT
Garage
I would look at getting some aircraft stripper and removing the bad finish, then painting/coating them to your liking.
Old 12/13/10, 3:56 PM   #6
Banned

2003 GT
just wax them. probably base model wheels. once u use wheel cleaner it ruins them
shadowstang03gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/13/10, 9:42 PM   #7
Super Moderator
TMS Staff

Steve

2011 Mustang GT
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowstang03gt View Post
just wax them. probably base model wheels. once u use wheel cleaner it ruins them
Wrong.

You can go as far as claying your wheels if you choose. A painted wheel can be treated very similar to a painted surface. Clay, polish, wax and/or sealants work on wheels as well. Wheel cleaner will not "ruin" a wheel.
Old 12/13/10, 10:15 PM   #8
Mach 1 Member

Ch u To y Y

2010 Mustang GT
Garage
Send a message via AIM to chutoyy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overboost View Post
Wrong.

You can go as far as claying your wheels if you choose. A painted wheel can be treated very similar to a painted surface. Clay, polish, wax and/or sealants work on wheels as well. Wheel cleaner will not "ruin" a wheel.
A finished wheel.... some bare metal wheels can oxidize with certain chemicals/cleaners...
Old 12/14/10, 4:50 AM   #9
Super Moderator
TMS Staff

Steve

2011 Mustang GT
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chutoyy View Post
A finished wheel.... some bare metal wheels can oxidize with certain chemicals/cleaners...
Yes, bare metal are susceptible to corrosion. If they're clear coated (as the OP said), then he should be fine.
Old 12/15/10, 11:45 AM   #10
Mach 1 Member

John

2010 Red Candy GT
Thanks for the suggestions guys!

I am running out of time . . . always too much to do and not enough time to do it . . . so I might have to take the "anything is better than nothing" approach and use whatever I have in my shop already, but will get the good stuff for my good wheels for when they go back on in the spring.
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/15/10, 11:45 AM