Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

How much lower would you shoot for off a dealer's price for a 2013 GT Prem Conv?

Search this Thread

Old 1/27/15, 11:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much lower would you shoot for off a dealer's price for a 2013 GT Prem Conv?

Edmunds has it at $28k for dealer retail price, which is what my dealer is at, though there was an accident reported on Carfax. Is in great condition though and you'd never know it was in a wreck.

Not sure what would be a reasonable number for me to shoot for.
Old 1/27/15, 11:09 PM
V6 Member

Like salvage? If so 8K

If just minor damage... Get inspected by third party shop you trust. Maybe 20k
Old 1/27/15, 11:09 PM
V6 Member

*That's just my personal opinion not based off of anything official.
Old 1/27/15, 11:11 PM

Minor. Airbag didn't deploy. Car looks spotless and is sold by a new car dealer, not an independent lot, if that means anything.

Carfax says this:

"Accident reported with another motor vehicle. Minor to moderate right side damage reported. Vehicle towed. Airbags did not deploy"

Last edited by ponyboywannabe; 1/27/15 at 11:13 PM.
Old 1/28/15, 05:15 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by ponyboywannabe
Minor. Airbag didn't deploy. Car looks spotless and is sold by a new car dealer, not an independent lot, if that means anything.

Carfax says this:

"Accident reported with another motor vehicle. Minor to moderate right side damage reported. Vehicle towed. Airbags did not deploy"
I wouldn't touch it knowing it was in ANY accident unless I was able to get up underneath it and see if there are any visible signs of an accident.
Of course, drive it and see if it pulls to the side or any funny driveline feel. Minor accidents can tweak a cars driveline and cause nightmares down the road (burning up tires, etc).

My '07 was in a "minor accident" that was reported when I was looking at it at a dealer in '08. I made them pull it into their bay and put it on the lift. I went under there with a flashlight and there wasn't a single blemish on the underside so it made me feel confident.
It was 41k new in '07 and I paid 25k for it in '08 with 12k on the odometer.

I would play the "accident" card for all it is worth and wouldn't pay more than 25K. If it was traded they are probably into it for 20-22K possibly...if it was from an auction probably 17-20K. Go get 'em!!
Old 1/28/15, 06:05 AM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
Carfax says this:

If the accident resulted in the vehicle being towed, that means it wasn't able to be driven from the scene. That indicates possible front or rear suspension damage.

If possible, get a qualified body shop to get it on the lift to inspect subframes or any indication of shims. Also, look carefully at all door, trunk, fender and hood gaps for any signs of misalignment.

Last edited by TripleBlack14; 1/28/15 at 06:06 AM.
Old 1/28/15, 06:10 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Carfax says this:

That would be a deal breaker for me as there is more to the story. Must have been hit hard enough to injure the driver who was taken away? If not and it was minor (cosmetic) damage, then it should have been able to be driven away from the scene. My vote is to find another Mustang, they are out there.
Old 1/28/15, 06:13 AM
Bullitt Member

Looks like TripleBlack14 and I have the same thoughts and posted as I was typing.
Old 1/28/15, 06:42 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by silverstate777
That would be a deal breaker for me as there is more to the story. Must have been hit hard enough to injure the driver who was taken away? If not and it was minor (cosmetic) damage, then it should have been able to be driven away from the scene. My vote is to find another Mustang, they are out there.
I am a firefighter in NYC. I have seen multiple instances where a vehicle got towed when a driver could have gotten in and driven the car away. People are afraid to drive a car if something simple is wrong with it.
Old 1/28/15, 07:02 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 88lx50
I am a firefighter in NYC. I have seen multiple instances where a vehicle got towed when a driver could have gotten in and driven the car away. People are afraid to drive a car if something simple is wrong with it.
That's good to know and never would have guessed that. Personally, I'd never consider purchasing an accident damaged vehicle that's been repaired and reported on Carfax as there are too many unknowns involved. Buyer beware ...
Old 1/28/15, 07:04 AM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Cars can be repaired to perfect after any incident. Just depends how good the repair facility is. If the car looks and checks out to be satisfactory, the only issue would be resale. That accident record will always be attached to that VIN#. Personally I wouldn't pay full retail for a car with a blemished history but I would pay for a repaired vehicle if the price was right. Do a thorough inspection of this car if you decide to buy it. Once you drive it off, it's yours. They won't take it back if you found something wrong later.
Old 1/28/15, 07:11 AM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
That does happen for certain. I've seen many claims like that over the years.

But the most common auto accidents by far are left turn collisions, and they frequently involve impacts into the front wheel that render the car undrivable.

With so little info available about the car described by the OP, my guess was just based on the odds. Admittedly though, there could have been other reasons it was towed.
Old 1/28/15, 07:22 AM
Bullitt Member

There are too many for sale for me to buy a branded title example. Remember when the time comes to sell/trade it's going to go through the same scenario.
Old 1/28/15, 07:15 PM
Bullitt Member

..."to moderate damage." I would have it inspected at a reputable body shop. Check Angies List for the best one(s) in your area, and ask them to look it over. See if the frame was repaired and/or what body panels if any were replaced. Can they tell if replacement parts were OEM or after-market, etc. Then, if you still want it, take the info to the dealer and tell them what the car is worth to you knowing all this information. I would think a substantial discount off full used retail is in order.
Old 1/28/15, 10:53 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
If the title isn't branded, then a 10% deduct in value for the accident is about average for valuations.
Old 1/29/15, 06:36 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
[QUOTE=t-fatty;6893009]There are too many for sale for me to buy a branded title example. Remember when the time comes to sell/trade it's going to go through the same scenario.[/QUOTe

I agree with this...
Mustangs arent exactly rare cars and they don't hold their value particularly well either. I'm sure you can find another vert without an accident for under $30k pretty quickly.

There has been a fully loaded GT/CS with nav sitting at a dealership but my house for a few weeks and it was selling for $22k clean Carfax. Deals are all over the place right now.
Old 1/29/15, 08:36 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 776 Likes on 567 Posts
If the dealership is asking BB value I would think they paid around 4k less than that. At bb value I would think you could find another one for the same money without a neg carfax report. Shop around. Do you really want a car that has bad carfax report? Maybe for the right price? Even if its had a 1/4 panel replaced?
Old 1/29/15, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by TripleBlack14
If the accident resulted in the vehicle being towed, that means it wasn't able to be driven from the scene. That indicates possible front or rear suspension damage.

If possible, get a qualified body shop to get it on the lift to inspect subframes or any indication of shims. Also, look carefully at all door, trunk, fender and hood gaps for any signs of misalignment.
Originally Posted by silverstate777
88lx50 makes a good point, i was in accident years ago with a friend where i hit his driver side rear fender under 10mph and put a dent about the size of a football in it, but it bent the fender down into the tire. When he was out of the car it looked fine like he could drive off in it, but as soon as he sat down his weight made the fender dig into the tire. So it was definitely "minor to moderate damage" less than $1000 total in repairs, but it was not driveable.

Just have a reputable body shop you trust take a look at it, especially underneath for any signs of major body repairs. Play the accident card as best you can, and if the dealer isn't budging then walk away. With the '15s out now there will be a lot of used '13s and '14s out there to pick up for a good price with clean carfaxes.
Old 1/30/15, 09:18 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by TripleBlack14
All that could mean is that the insurance company wouldn't provide a rental unless it was towed. Our current insurance company won't pay for a rental unless the vehicle is towed from the accident scene. Don't even ask me why, I have no idea. The only reason I stay with them is because they will provide me with a new Mustang if I get into an accident, no questions asked, for the first three years of ownership - no deductible or depreciation hit. After that time period is up, we'll be shopping around.

My Focus right side was hit when a driver in an SUV failed to yield at a left hand turn and I had to swerve and stop on wet pavement. Ford's auto-body fixed it up and had a life-time warranty on the repair. The car was perfect and I drove it for four more years before trading it in, but I still took the hit because of the Carfax. It was listed as "Moderate" because it cost 5k to repair as I had Ford do it and not someplace cheaper. Luckily because I went back to the same Ford that did the repair, They gave me a much better price on the trade in than anyplace else would.

Last edited by CriticalmassGT; 1/30/15 at 09:22 AM.
Old 1/30/15, 01:43 PM
GT Member

It's winter time. At least up here in the north they can't give away a Mustang right now. Make them an offer. You can always pay the price. There are lots of them out there so don't be afraid to walk away from that one.