2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Hill Start Assist

Search this Thread

Old 1/30/15, 07:00 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Whitebird, I forgot to add the automatic headlight feature also for those that are too stupid to turn on their lights when it gets dark. I also live in Florida and this is something I've noticed a lot over the past 2 years. There are more and more people driving without lights these days and it makes you wonder.

The government and insurance lobbyists are actually pushing the manufacturers for these features. If you keep telling people that they aren't capable of doing something as simple as turning on lights, eventually they'll believe you. The "twilight sentinel" feature for automatic headlamps was a luxury item found only on high end cars. Over the years, this feature has run its way down to the masses.

The same is happening with back up cameras. Years ago, it was a very expensive "option", but the new Mustang, Challenger and Chargers and many others come with the display screen already installed and I think the camera is standard. I could be wrong on that though. So, what is a "convenience" on the higher end cars will become standard on all vehicles over time.
Old 1/30/15, 07:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by David Young
2011-2012 has a button (automatics) on the side of the shifter. You push this button when you have to go 'down' long hills. It just puts the transmission in 5th gear
You sure the auto transmission put it into FIFTH gear for going DOWNhill? Fifth gear would speed the car up - low gears for going down hill and employing engine braking.

Last edited by Darth Paul; 1/30/15 at 07:08 AM.
Old 1/30/15, 07:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by scottmoyer
Whitebird, I forgot to add the automatic headlight feature also for those that are too stupid to turn on their lights when it gets dark. I also live in Florida and this is something I've noticed a lot over the past 2 years. There are more and more people driving without lights these days and it makes you wonder.

The government and insurance lobbyists are actually pushing the manufacturers for these features. If you keep telling people that they aren't capable of doing something as simple as turning on lights, eventually they'll believe you. The "twilight sentinel" feature for automatic headlamps was a luxury item found only on high end cars. Over the years, this feature has run its way down to the masses.

The same is happening with back up cameras. Years ago, it was a very expensive "option", but the new Mustang, Challenger and Chargers and many others come with the display screen already installed and I think the camera is standard. I could be wrong on that though. So, what is a "convenience" on the higher end cars will become standard on all vehicles over time.
The backup camera thing is coming sooner than you might expect. The government has mandated that all passenger cars manufactured after May 1, 2018 must have a backup camera as standard equipment. Light trucks are due to follow two years later.
Old 1/30/15, 09:02 AM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by typesredline
Why would an auto have hill start assist? They don't roll back. It will hold or roll forward on a hill bc of the transmission. It doesn't need to hold the brakes. I've never heard of this feature on an auto. It's a manual only thing. I believe what you thought was hill start assist on the f150 was just the transmission.
I have not encountered this on the mustang, but yes, even some autos will roll back if the hill is steep enough. My Focus used to do it, but only on steep hills and it was an automatic. Wife's Nissan is the same way, rolls back slightly on hills before giving it some gas.

Hill Start Assist reduces wear on the clutch. I have no idea what it does for an automatic. I drove manual's for years until I got sick of bumper to bumper traffic and leg cramps and back issues from continuously changing gear. The Automatic in the Mustang is pretty awesome. Selectshift for the Win.

Last edited by CriticalmassGT; 1/30/15 at 09:11 AM.
Old 1/31/15, 07:37 AM
Mach 1 Member

If you have a modern automatic (not one of the slush boxes of old) and you roll back more than an inch or two even on the steepest hill while moving your foot from the brake to the gas... what are you doing that takes so long - sending a text between brake and gas? Simple inertia will keep the vehicle from rolling in the half second it takes to get on the gas.
Old 1/31/15, 09:52 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The M6 only has hill start assist bro!
Old 2/1/15, 04:03 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Paul
You sure the auto transmission put it into FIFTH gear for going DOWNhill? Fifth gear would speed the car up - low gears for going down hill and employing engine braking.
Fifth gear is a lower gear. We have 6 speed transmissions
Old 2/13/15, 01:28 PM
GT Member

Fifth gear is a lower gear. We have 6 speed transmissions
Yeah it locks out 6th. It holds gears longer too when up shifting. If you are going down a hill it will engine brake if you tap the brakes or if you get going fast enough. The feature is called "hill assist" btw, so you are correct but no, not hill start assist. I love this feature of my auto especially when you are merging on the highway
Old 2/13/15, 02:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by choate
Yeah it locks out 6th. It holds gears longer too when up shifting. If you are going down a hill it will engine brake if you tap the brakes or if you get going fast enough. The feature is called "hill assist" btw, so you are correct but no, not hill start assist. I love this feature of my auto especially when you are merging on the highway
Actually the feature that modifies shifting for hills is called "grade assist". There is "grade assist" for automatics and "hill start assist" for manuals.
Old 2/13/15, 03:30 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
All of these electronic Features ( yea right ) are terrible. It takes all the learning out of driving. Also the Fun. Case in point. My Girlfriend has them all in her Infiniti. She is lost when she gets into a car that does not have them. Like the electronic parking assist. Well get use to it and get into a car that does not have it and you will crash the car. When you have Brake assist. You get use to not looking out the window all the time and when you get into a car with out it Yep you guessed it you hit or crash a car. All of these things suck unless you just use a car for transportation and I know everyone on this sight does not do that.
Old 2/13/15, 05:35 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 212 Likes on 145 Posts
I know hey! I had a brand new BMW for work this week, and i was LOST with all the gadgetry. The goddam shifter was a frikkin christmas tree, with buttons and crap. My coworkers Q50 was even worse! it knows where the road lines are and guides him
Old 2/14/15, 05:40 AM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
Kinda sorta somewhat almost slightly related to the topic......

You know what I miss? I miss the high beam button on the floor that was operated by your left foot. Back in the day you could flash your brights without loosening your streering wheel grip, plus it freed up your right hand when reaching for a beer.

Seriously....how many old farts here remember that "feature"?
Old 2/14/15, 05:54 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by TripleBlack14
Kinda sorta somewhat almost slightly related to the topic......

You know what I miss? I miss the high beam button on the floor that was operated by your left foot. Back in the day you could flash your brights without loosening your streering wheel grip, plus it freed up your right hand when reaching for a beer.

Seriously....how many old farts here remember that "feature"?
I'm old . My 1991 F150 has the button on the floor
Old 2/14/15, 06:00 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
My '13 has all the electronic goodies and I enjoy them. But, I still know how to operate manual stuff and do so whenever I drive my '65 Corvair or wife's '03 Miata.
Old 2/14/15, 10:25 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My 1991 F150 has the button on the floor
Yep. So does my 83 F150.
Old 2/14/15, 11:40 AM
GT Member

Nice to hear about the old F150s. I have a 93. Sorry for the thread jack