Got walked by a pontiac g8

Search this Thread

Old 5/3/15, 03:25 PM
Cobra Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Got walked by a pontiac g8

We were side by side, cruising on a track at about 40 mph

I down shifted to 2nd, which put me in around 4k rpm

He takes off at WOT after he hears my downshift, i went WOT right away, brought her up to 7k rpm then went into 3d, meanwhile he had a car length on me as i was mashing the throttle in third, was in 3d at around 6k rpm still accelerating at which point he cut me off with about 2 feet to spare from my front bumper, and continued ahead in WOT. I shut it down, and slowed way down since it was getting a little too serious.

Car looked completely stock, i googled specs right away and saw they have 415hp from the 6.2

He had stock exhaust, i couldnt even hear his car, and the tips were stock, i heard no intake what so ever... im 99% sure he was stock unless he had just a tune. Guy must have been around 45 years old.

My question is what the hell happened LOL

Perfect shift each time, car was maxing out, and he walked me.

Im stock with roush a/b's on 91 octane fuel (stock software no tune)
Old 5/3/15, 03:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There's always someone faster
Old 5/3/15, 03:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
They can be quick and I caught a few mustangs by surprise when I had mine. The G8 GT specs are 365hp with a 6.0l and the GXP had the specs you listed. If he had a manual then he had the GXP. I still miss mine.
Attached Images  
Old 5/3/15, 04:01 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm no expert but isn't that a heavier 4 door with less hp? Maybe he had a tune and cai.
Old 5/3/15, 04:03 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
cruising on a track...rightttttt........

either way.. time to get a supercharger.
Old 5/3/15, 04:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yes they weighed 4000lbs but they were good at roll racing on a track . Lol. I had cam, cai and full exhaust and laid 402hp on the dyno.
Old 5/3/15, 04:22 PM
GT Member

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Here are a few possibilities. First he could have a small NOS set up. This would be pretty stealthy ie. no unusual sounds or anything in the cars external appearance to give it away. Another and probably more likely possibility is that since these are both mass produced vehicles and as such, some will be a little closer to spec than others. He may have simply had one that was spot on with regards to actual compression ratio and airflow ie. near perfect deck height, combustion chamber cc's, ports and valve job. Basically you may have an average Mustang and he may have won the car buyer's lottery and gotten an unusually good G8. His rear end gearing may be a bit lower than yours which would help with acceleration. This would tend to cancel out your weight advantage. Lastly he may have simply gotten a good initial jump on you and since you had to back off before you even had it maxed out in third you will never know what would have happened if you had been able to run it out further. The LS engines tend to make a little more low end torque than the 5.0 Coyote and just a bit less high end horsepower so that would help with the initial hit. Anyway such is life, no one wins all the time.
Old 5/4/15, 05:31 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
We have a black G8 in my town. The exhaust sounds very good with the cams it had

Last edited by David Young; 5/4/15 at 05:34 AM.
Old 5/4/15, 12:31 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think SilrBult has it right.

A friend of mine had the identical car to me in every way (including colour!)

His was never able to beat mine, performance-wise. My car could take on other cars waay above what it should have been able to. I just happened to have a really good example of that particular model and I really knew where the torque peaks were, etc.

And, I did all the maintenance myself regularly, so maybe that might factor in as well...fresh oil, all filters clean etc.
Old 5/4/15, 12:55 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by rmurer

LOL Russ.... You BEAT ME TO IT!

I was gonna say, Alex. That's pretty clever for you to say you "were on a track". I hear ya buddy. Your secret's safe with us

As for the actual question at hand, I'd guess he's not stock, but could just be a better driver. Period... no offense. With that being said, even with my setup, he probably would still blow me away because I suck at driving Now my car in the hands of a very capable driver? Diff't story.

Edit: and yes, Russ is right, Alex. It's time to slap on a blower. Why do you think WE ALL got one? lol

Last edited by FromZto5; 5/4/15 at 12:56 PM.
Old 5/4/15, 01:02 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
Ordering my SC in July.
Old 5/4/15, 01:07 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by SpectreH
Ordering my SC in July.
Come to the DARK SIDE, Alex.... EVERYone is doing it.....

* play Jedi mind trick theme song now *

Old 5/4/15, 04:39 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
Do you have the 3.73 rear? I have the track pack I have have dusted better cars going that speed but because of the rear gear being so low I use 3rd the Mustang has a ton of torque and it take off like a raped ape/
Old 5/4/15, 04:53 PM
V6 Member

Yeah, my brother hates losing to anything on the street or the track. I was supposed to help him with his project when I went to visit him in a few weeks, but he got impatient. He is currently working on going to the dark side with some of you. Supposedly just wiring and loading the tune left to go for him.

Name:  supercharger%20install_zpspe1viawh.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  89.4 KB

As I will never track my car and just enjoy it, I probably will never convert over.
Old 5/4/15, 05:17 PM
V6 Member

A lot of the G8 guys keep their mufflers on, it comes with two of them. The car is extremely quiet from the factory, so they will throw a cam in, get a tune and have a true sleeper. I had a G8 before my Mustang and the G8 is a fast car. With a tune, intake, long tube headers, and full catback exhaust I would walk Camaro's pretty good. But when it came to the 5.0 they would still win, but not by much. My guess is he at least had a cam and tune and kept the exhaust stock. Regardless there will always be someone faster out there.

And for anyone out there the G8 is a great car, I really enjoyed mine. I miss it at times. Great car.

Last edited by 50HHHHH; 5/4/15 at 05:18 PM.
Old 5/4/15, 06:17 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 212 Likes on 145 Posts
My aunt has a G8 and my uncle has a newer Cdillac CTS. I think they're both pretty quick.
Old 5/4/15, 10:01 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Jazzman442
Do you have the 3.73 rear? I have the track pack I have have dusted better cars going that speed but because of the rear gear being so low I use 3rd the Mustang has a ton of torque and it take off like a raped ape/
I think i have 3:31s, which may be the issue.

Originally Posted by FromZto5
LOL Russ.... You BEAT ME TO IT!

I was gonna say, Alex. That's pretty clever for you to say you "were on a track". I hear ya buddy. Your secret's safe with us

As for the actual question at hand, I'd guess he's not stock, but could just be a better driver. Period... no offense. With that being said, even with my setup, he probably would still blow me away because I suck at driving Now my car in the hands of a very capable driver? Diff't story.

Edit: and yes, Russ is right, Alex. It's time to slap on a blower. Why do you think WE ALL got one? lol
Hahaha always a better driver out there no doubt. I think he got a jump on me and kept going, if we did an equal roll it may be a differnt story. I was just surprised because i was hitting all my shifts spot on. I even chirped from 2nd to 3d, IDK what would have happened if i kept my foot all the down in 4th till redline then shifted into 5th and kept going. But i shut it down earlier than him. He kept going full out. Didnt seem to care.
Old 5/4/15, 10:04 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 50HHHHH
A lot of the G8 guys keep their mufflers on, it comes with two of them. The car is extremely quiet from the factory, so they will throw a cam in, get a tune and have a true sleeper. I had a G8 before my Mustang and the G8 is a fast car. With a tune, intake, long tube headers, and full catback exhaust I would walk Camaro's pretty good. But when it came to the 5.0 they would still win, but not by much. My guess is he at least had a cam and tune and kept the exhaust stock. Regardless there will always be someone faster out there.

And for anyone out there the G8 is a great car, I really enjoyed mine. I miss it at times. Great car.
No doubt, they are quick, i dont think it was even the GXP model though, there were no badges, however i still think he had the 6.2

Theoretically he is supposed to be slower. Like i said earlier i think i need taller gears... and a tune.... and an intake... and a drive shaft... and headers... and a full catback exhaust... and a watts link system and new LCAs... oh and a supercharger LOL
Old 5/5/15, 01:43 PM
Bullitt Member

I don't take G8s lightly. The majority of them on the road are GTs (6.0) the few gxps are the 6.2 415hp. Down in my area there are a lot of GTs, most of which are cammed and full bolt ons. Most are running 11s. Don't beat urself up too much.
Old 5/5/15, 06:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by gruiz_06
I don't take G8s lightly. The majority of them on the road are GTs (6.0) the few gxps are the 6.2 415hp. Down in my area there are a lot of GTs, most of which are cammed and full bolt ons. Most are running 11s. Don't beat urself up too much.
That's right, just because it's a 4 door doesn't mean it's not fast.

Quick Reply: Got walked by a pontiac g8