Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

That Good Old Dealership Service Quality, . . . Not So Much

Search this Thread

Old 9/20/16, 01:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
That Good Old Dealership Service Quality, . . . Not So Much

A few months ago my pinion seal developed a leak, which apparently is a common problem with these rear axles. At any rate I took it to my dealership and they replaced it under warranty. Yesterday I took the car to Firestone to have the rear axle lubricant changed out. The car is at 42k and I'm not sure what the interval is for rear axle lubricant but I almost never wait as long as the book suggests. At any rate, it's probably a good thing I took it in because I was standing there when the tech pulled the drain plug (check plug) and not much came out. He pumped out the rest of it and proceeded to put fresh gear oil in. I now strongly suspect that after my pinion seal leaked that the dealership did not bother to refill the axle to spec. I noticed after the service that the car does run out smoother than before, a sensation I had previously attributed to the car just getting older and getting miles on it but now I am thinking it was because they didn't have the proper amount of gear oil in it. I can't prove this of course but even the tech commented on how little an amount of lubricant was in the axle. I didn't have any grinding noise but I did have on occasion a sensation of resistance in the drivetrain at highway speed. That is gone now as well. I get so tired of having to deal with these service departments because it feels like more often than not you just can't count on the work having been done properly.

Last edited by 3point7; 9/20/16 at 02:56 AM.
Old 9/20/16, 05:17 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I took my car in to a local dealer for an oil change and wheel rotation. They chipped a rim by the lug.

I took my car in to have the black piece between the taillights and the third brake light lens replaced. They scratched a taillight, bent the deck lid, and left a grommet loose that rattled around until it finally fell out.

They said the car needs lower control arms and I have a recall I think on the air bag. I am scared to bring it in and see what they damage on the car next.
Old 9/20/16, 04:19 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by 3point7
The car is at 42k and I'm not sure what the interval is for rear axle lubricant but I almost never wait as long as the book suggests.
It's lifetime. I wouldn't follow that rule but 42K is pretty early, IMO. I'm at 106K and it's probably about time I did it though. Never had a thing with the rear axle touched yet.

Originally Posted by Automatic 5.0
They said the car needs lower control arms and I have a recall I think on the air bag. I am scared to bring it in and see what they damage on the car next.
That'd be the Takata airbag recall; you're going to want to get that done.
Old 9/20/16, 10:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by kylerohde
It's lifetime. I wouldn't follow that rule but 42K is pretty early, IMO. I'm at 106K and it's probably about time I did it though. Never had a thing with the rear axle touched yet.
I figured it was probably something like that. I would never wait until 100K on any lubricant. The next thing I will do is have the belts, spark plugs and PCV valve replaced around 48 to 50K. I already had the transmission fluid replaced at 32K and probably do that about every 30K for as long as I own it. I just hate replacing the cabin air filter. It's a pain in the ***. Why Ford didn't locate it behind the glove box like most other cars I don't know but fooling with that cowl is not the greatest design.
Old 9/20/16, 10:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Automatic 5.0
I took my car in to a local dealer for an oil change and wheel rotation. They chipped a rim by the lug.

I took my car in to have the black piece between the taillights and the third brake light lens replaced. They scratched a taillight, bent the deck lid, and left a grommet loose that rattled around until it finally fell out.

Kyler is right, definitely have your airbag recall taken care of.
Old 9/20/16, 11:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
I figured it was probably something like that. I would never wait until 100K on any lubricant. The next thing I will do is have the belts, spark plugs and PCV valve replaced around 48 to 50K. I already had the transmission fluid replaced at 32K and probably do that about every 30K for as long as I own it. I just hate replacing the cabin air filter. It's a pain in the ***. Why Ford didn't locate it behind the glove box like most other cars I don't know but fooling with that cowl is not the greatest design.
On the plugs, I finally did mine at 105k because I figured it was time, but the car was still running perfect and getting good mileage. Based on my experience, you can definitely wait though I get the desire not to.

As far as the cabin air filter, it can be much worse. My wife's '08 Mazda3 requires dropping the glovebox and taking out a couple different HVAC components. Took me 2.5 hours the first time and don't ever want to do it again.
Old 9/21/16, 12:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Kyler is right, definitely have your airbag recall taken care of.

I wonder what they might break or scratch this time.....
Old 9/22/16, 01:43 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
There have been over 100 million Takata airbags installed in vehicles. There have been 10 deaths and 100 or so injuries to drivers. You have a better chance of being killed by fireworks, or being struck by lightening, than being killed or injured by your airbag.
Old 9/22/16, 09:43 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Old 9/23/16, 09:33 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,171 Likes on 1,619 Posts
Love that line!
Old 9/25/16, 12:03 AM
GT Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
A few months ago my pinion seal developed a leak, which apparently is a common problem with these rear axles. At any rate I took it to my dealership and they replaced it under warranty. Yesterday I took the car to Firestone to have the rear axle lubricant changed out. The car is at 42k and I'm not sure what the interval is for rear axle lubricant but I almost never wait as long as the book suggests. At any rate, it's probably a good thing I took it in because I was standing there when the tech pulled the drain plug (check plug) and not much came out. He pumped out the rest of it and proceeded to put fresh gear oil in. I now strongly suspect that after my pinion seal leaked that the dealership did not bother to refill the axle to spec. I noticed after the service that the car does run out smoother than before, a sensation I had previously attributed to the car just getting older and getting miles on it but now I am thinking it was because they didn't have the proper amount of gear oil in it. I can't prove this of course but even the tech commented on how little an amount of lubricant was in the axle. I didn't have any grinding noise but I did have on occasion a sensation of resistance in the drivetrain at highway speed. That is gone now as well. I get so tired of having to deal with these service departments because it feels like more often than not you just can't count on the work having been done properly.
Thats why i google and youtube everything and just do it myself. Unless you have a engine or transmission problem, everything else can be done yourself with simple tools. btw u mentioned dealer neglected refilling your rear axle after repair, with low fluid you didnt hear any noise at high or low speed? also what you mean by smoother afterward compared to dealer service?
Old 9/29/16, 01:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Winkawak
Thats why i google and youtube everything and just do it myself. Unless you have a engine or transmission problem, everything else can be done yourself with simple tools. btw u mentioned dealer neglected refilling your rear axle after repair, with low fluid you didnt hear any noise at high or low speed? also what you mean by smoother afterward compared to dealer service?
The first couple of oil changes I did myself but after that I started having my maintenance done at a shop so that everything had a paper trail and the dealership could not come back at me later with any excuse to deny a claim. About the only thing that I did myself after awhile was engine air filter and cabin air filter. I have not decided weather or not I am going to follow the same plan with the GMC truck. It is typically a lot easier to perform routine maintenance on a truck so that is one consideration. At any rate, once I got the car back from Firestone after having the axle serviced the car felt as though it accelerated smoother than before. Prior to that, there were times when it felt like there was a slight bit of resistance during acceleration. It made me wonder if that sensation was originating from a rear axle with low lubricant. There was never any grinding or whine from the rear end so I know it wasn't damaged. It may have been just low enough to feel some resistance but not enough to be a problem.