Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Is full panoramic glass top 'good' or 'bad'??

Search this Thread

Old 1/31/17, 11:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
In 2014 there were fewer Glass Backs made than 50th Anniversary Cars the following year. It is my favorite option on my car by far!
Old 1/31/17, 11:50 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
I wonder if it wasn't offered on the 6th generation cars due to the fact they already weighed more than the s197s.
Old 1/31/17, 06:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Seriously, I think 30lbs is negligible, I would love to have a glass roof. You can lighten the weight elsewhere, like get rid of the stock mufflers for something lighter, lighter wheels, etc. Plus, weight of the car can vary depending on driver alone, I'm a small guy, weighing 150lbs compared to the average male, I don't think someone weighing about 30lbs more than me would affect speed and handling by much, or even noticeable at all.
Old 1/31/17, 09:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38
Trust me, you can still corner with the Glass Roof!

Oh yeah, and air suspension too!
Didn't mean to imply otherwise. I know our cars are plenty fast and suspension goes a long way.

Let's put it this way: If you're the type to remove your radio and air conditioner to reduce weight, the glass roof might not be for you. Otherwise, go for it if you have the cheddar.
Old 1/31/17, 10:09 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by berzerk_1980
Didn't mean to imply otherwise. I know our cars are plenty fast and suspension goes a long way.

Let's put it this way: If you're the type to remove your radio and air conditioner to reduce weight, the glass roof might not be for you. Otherwise, go for it if you have the cheddar.
I know, just messing with ya!

And that is absolutely true.
Old 2/1/17, 08:05 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 684 Likes on 347 Posts
Originally Posted by SpectreH
I wonder if it wasn't offered on the 6th generation cars due to the fact they already weighed more than the s197s.
The shape of the roof on the S550 is the reason it wasn't offered.
Old 2/1/17, 11:38 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 1 Alibi 2
The shape of the roof on the S550 is the reason it wasn't offered.
They say that, but the S197 roof is curved too. Albeit, not as severe of a curve, but it *is* curved nonetheless.
Old 2/1/17, 11:42 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
I LOVE mine, it was worth the money.
Old 2/1/17, 10:39 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,964 Likes on 1,589 Posts
They say that, but the S197 roof is curved too. Albeit, not as severe of a curve, but it *is* curved nonetheless.
Patrick ! 1 Alibi 2 just might be onto something there.. You would think if the S550 could be offered with a glass roof option, that Ford would've done so by now.. I'm also sure that Classic Design Concepts would've also came out with a conversion kit, just as they did for the early S197 models.. Just saying

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 2/1/17 at 10:41 PM.
Old 2/1/17, 10:53 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Patrick ! 1 Alibi 2 just might be onto something there.. You would think if the S550 could be offered with a glass roof option, that Ford would've done so by now.. I'm also sure that Classic Design Concepts would've also came out with a conversion kit, just as they did for the early S197 models.. Just saying
I think the take rate was so low, they didn't see the point in bothering to engineer it. I really thought we'd see a sliding panoramic roof by now - like the Lincoln MKZ - but, nope. I think Ford is content offering the vert and won't go back to the glass roof.
Old 2/1/17, 11:50 PM

I think the take rate was so low, they didn't see the point in bothering to engineer it. I really thought we'd see a sliding panoramic roof by now - like the Lincoln MKZ - but, nope. I think Ford is content offering the vert and won't go back to the glass roof.
But look at the difference between the Lincoln MKZ and the S550.. The MKZ has very little curve in it's roof compared with the S550..

I'm not trying to say that it's impossible to offer a glass roof option for the S550, but I can certainly understand where 1 Alibi 2 is coming from though..

As I mentioned earlier, you would also think that Classic Design Concepts would come out with a glass roof conversion kit, just as they did for the early S197 models before Ford began offering them in house as factory OEM options..

On the other hand, I also understand where your coming from as well and when it comes to Ford, who really knows for certain what their objectives are sometimes
Old 2/1/17, 11:52 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
But look at the difference between the Lincoln MKZ and the S550.. The MKZ has very little curve in it's roof compared with the S550..

I'm not trying to say that it's impossible to offer a glass roof option for the S550, but I can certainly understand where 1 Alibi 2 is coming from though..

As I mentioned earlier, you would also think that Classic Design Concepts would come out with a glass roof conversion kit, just as they did for the early S197 models before Ford began offering them in house as factory OEM options..

On the other hand, I also understand where your coming from as well and when it comes to Ford, who really knows for certain what their objectives are sometimes
Yeah I know the MKZ is flatter. Look at the 911 though. Porsche offers a sliding pano roof...

Honestly I think CDC is a shadow of what the company used to be. Their parts for the S550 are very minuscule and I don't think they even make them anymore. Even for the later S197s, they basically only made upper and lower grilles.
Old 2/2/17, 07:03 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 684 Likes on 347 Posts
I think it's more than just the curve.

Last edited by 1 Alibi 2; 2/2/17 at 07:25 AM.
Old 2/2/17, 09:32 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Other than those two strakes that are there for aero purposes, I see no reason why it couldn't be done
Old 2/2/17, 12:40 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
I think I remember reading that it just wasn't a big seller, so they didn't bother with the new car.

The dip in the roof is irrelevant, as they could just make a smooth curved glass roof without the middle dip and have it fit just fine.
Old 2/2/17, 01:47 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by jim010
I think I remember reading that it just wasn't a big seller, so they didn't bother with the new car.

The dip in the roof is irrelevant, as they could just make a smooth curved glass roof without the middle dip and have it fit just fine.
Exactly my thoughts...I'm sure it wasn't cheap to engineer a second roof for the car. Why bother for less than 2k sales a year. Plus, they'd have to certify for all the other markets too. Not like other luxury marques don't offer Glass Roofs too, but for international sales, they'd probably sell less than 100 copies with the GR. Not worth it.

I've been thinking about a Vert for my next Mustang, but I just don't know if I could do it. We'll see. Mama is getting a Flex to replace our Focus soon, and after that I'm getting a truck. Either Raptor or Super Duty, haven't decided yet. Then after that I'll think about my next Mustang
Old 2/2/17, 03:27 PM

Yeah I know the MKZ is flatter. Look at the 911 though. Porsche offers a sliding pano roof...

Honestly I think CDC is a shadow of what the company used to be. Their parts for the S550 are very minuscule and I don't think they even make them anymore. Even for the later S197s, they basically only made upper and lower grilles.
Agreed ! And very good point indeed

Other than those two strakes that are there for aero purposes, I see no reason why it couldn't be done
I don't see any reason why it couldn't be done either Patrick

Originally Posted by jim010

If Ford really wanted to offer a glass roof, they would.. If Porsche can offer a glass roof on it's 911, so can Ford on the S550.. It's just like you said Jim, If Ford didn't think it was a big enough seller, they're not going to bother offering it on the current model anyhow

Exactly my thoughts...I'm sure it wasn't cheap to engineer a second roof for the car. Why bother for less than 2k sales a year. Plus, they'd have to certify for all the other markets too. Not like other luxury marques don't offer Glass Roofs too, but for international sales, they'd probably sell less than 100 copies with the GR. Not worth it.
This would seem to make the most logical sense Patrick

I've been thinking about a Vert for my next Mustang, but I just don't know if I could do it. We'll see. Mama is getting a Flex to replace our Focus soon, and after that I'm getting a truck. Either Raptor or Super Duty, haven't decided yet. Then after that I'll think about my next Mustang
You could always just hold onto your S197 Patrick and keep it in the family
Old 2/2/17, 05:09 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Oh no, I would keep my S197 for sure. Just thinking about adding down the road. That's why I was considering a vert. At that time I'll be in my late 30s so a fully loaded A10 convertible with all the luxury options might make for a fun Grand Tourer in the best definition of "GT."
Old 2/2/17, 08:06 PM

Oh no, I would keep my S197 for sure. Just thinking about adding down the road. That's why I was considering a vert. At that time I'll be in my late 30s so a fully loaded A10 convertible with all the luxury options might make for a fun Grand Tourer in the best definition of "GT."
Once you add a vert down the road, you'll then have the best of both worlds for sure
Old 2/3/17, 12:07 AM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,088 Likes on 788 Posts
+1 on loving this option. I will have a very tough time ever giving it up. I have a fairly well optioned car, but this is one that I put at the top of my favorites about the car. I do not look at other similar cars the same way as the ones with this option. After test driving a car with the option back in 2013 it became a must have option. I still feel it is well worth the extra that I paid. Makes the car one in a very elite club. I feel this will make these cars very collectable in the future.