Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Ford's new SYNC 3...

Search this Thread

Old 12/13/14, 01:59 PM
Cobra Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by jsimmons
QNX was designed/developed from the ground up for mobile devices. Windows was not. When MS starting pulling stuff out of Windows that didn't make sense on a mobile device, stuff started breaking. To be honest, I'm surprised MS ever got a toe-hold in any automotive (touch-screen) system.
Originally Posted by msqr
Not true. Should check your facts before posting misleading information. the MS auto platform is based off of Windows Embedded, which shares little resemblance with the copies of Windows running on the majority of machines you're familiar with: Video Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Embedded
Not to mention that QNX a was NOT built for mobile. It was developed in 1982. Not sure what mobile devices were used back then. Anyway, it was mainly used in military apps. Then in the late 90's and early 2000's started being used in high end car telematics like BMW and Porsche because of its reliability. It was purchased by RIM in 2010 and at that point, for the first time ever, used in mobile devices.

Last edited by typesredline; 12/13/14 at 02:02 PM.
Old 12/13/14, 11:38 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by typesredline
I like it. It's fresh and clean. Nothing wrong with bright. Plus it's the first car UI I've seen that is like a smartphone. Swiping, a static bottom ribbon, pinch to zoom, etc.
Guessing there'll be a dark mode for evenings. Even with the dark mode on the current Sync V1 I have, it's too bright at night.
Old 12/13/14, 11:41 PM
GT Member

Still waiting on this promised update for Sync Gen1 vehicles: https://media.ford.com/content/fordm...customers.html

Hard to believe SYNC v3 isn't another empty promise... Of course, if in the next 18 days, Ford miraculously delivers that Gen1 update, I'll retract my statement
Old 12/14/14, 09:09 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Still waiting on this promised update for Sync Gen1 vehicles: https://media.ford.com/content/fordm...customers.html Hard to believe SYNC v3 isn't another empty promise... Of course, if in the next 18 days, Ford miraculously delivers that Gen1 update, I'll retract my statement
The new generation clearly isn't an empty promise; Ford has been hammered for four years because of problems with it so they've got to get it right this time. But you're right about the update to v1.
Old 12/14/14, 09:37 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by kylerohde
The new generation clearly isn't an empty promise; Ford has been hammered for four years because of problems with it so they've got to get it right this time. But you're right about the update to v1.
But as many people pointed out in and out of this thread, Ford's problems were hardly to do with the underlying OS, be it Windows Auto or QNX. Did they really want to get it right, or is this just a PR stint to get us to trust their tech?
Old 12/14/14, 11:17 AM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
A little more info here:
http://www.computerworld.com/article...n-sync-v3.html

Looks like a new CPU. They're also a little more clear that the OS is changing from embedded windows to QNX - but still no details about who is writing the apps the run the sync system.

As mentioned above - QNX was not originally developed for automotive use, but they have developed an offshoot of QNX target for use in cars.
http://www.qnx.com/products/qnxcar/

The great thing about QNX is it provides an environment to integrate existing QNX apps into the platform. I just haven't been able to figure out (yet) who is doing the actual app development for Ford.
Old 12/15/14, 07:41 AM
Cobra Member

Guessing there'll be a dark mode for evenings. Even with the dark mode on the current Sync V1 I have, it's too bright at night.

I was wondering about this too. I know that my wife's 2014 Santa fe, her stereo has a blue background and its SOOOOO bright, even dimmed during the night. I hate it. There is a button that will turn off the display if you want while driving at night, but its annoying because it resets each time you turn the car off.
Old 12/15/14, 12:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know what problem people are having, or what versions they are running. Hell, I don't even know what version I have. But My 2014 has the Electronics package and all the touch screen stuff seems to work just fine for me. Its not the prettiest, but its simple and pretty easy to use I think. Have not had a problem yet.
Old 12/15/14, 06:40 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
But as many people pointed out in and out of this thread, Ford's problems were hardly to do with the underlying OS, be it Windows Auto or QNX. Did they really want to get it right, or is this just a PR stint to get us to trust their tech?
Really, Ford is going to do a PR stunt to try and fix something that has been the bane of their existence for four years now? I doubt any system on the new cars has had more attention than that one over the past couple years in engineering.
Old 12/15/14, 11:49 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by kylerohde
Really, Ford is going to do a PR stunt to try and fix something that has been the bane of their existence for four years now? I doubt any system on the new cars has had more attention than that one over the past couple years in engineering.
Which is exactly why the PR stint itself is more valuable than the actual engineering change if it makes people try one more time. Doesn't matter if Microsoft was the problem or not.
Old 12/16/14, 05:19 PM

QNX was developed as an RTOS (Real-Time Operating System). It's a low level UNIX platform, that over the years has expanded what it can do - used in embedded systems with the need to react precisely to timing events. It's strengths include interprocess communication, and a buffered file system which is designed to make it safe to lose power at any time. It has its quirks but can be extended with a lot of the FreeBSD stuff that is out there so hopefully they'll use something decent for the UI.

Its base level of security is pretty horrid, however, from what I've read.
Old 12/16/14, 08:40 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Amariel
QNX was developed as an RTOS (Real-Time Operating System). It's a low level UNIX platform, that over the years has expanded what it can do - used in embedded systems with the need to react precisely to timing events. It's strengths include interprocess communication, and a buffered file system which is designed to make it safe to lose power at any time. It has its quirks but can be extended with a lot of the FreeBSD stuff that is out there so hopefully they'll use something decent for the UI.

Its base level of security is pretty horrid, however, from what I've read.
Windows Embedded was also developed as an RTOS. UNIX was never meant to be real time any more than Windows is. All of what you said about interprocess communications exists on Windows Embedded (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms836784.aspx), and NTFS is quite resilient these days to power loss too.

Horrid security, yay, and they're introducing Wi-Fi based software updates with Syncv3... :S Given how rare software updates have been with SYNCv1 and MFT, I don't get what the big deal of plugging in USB sticks with updates are.
Old 12/17/14, 08:10 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by captain slow
I don't know what problem people are having, or what versions they are running. Hell, I don't even know what version I have. But My 2014 has the Electronics package and all the touch screen stuff seems to work just fine for me. Its not the prettiest, but its simple and pretty easy to use I think. Have not had a problem yet.
Up to 2014 the mustangs have the V1. 2015 appears to have V2, the buggy My Ford Touch system found on other Fords (including my Focus).
Old 12/17/14, 08:40 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Mopar has been using QNX for many years in their MYGIG systems.
Old 12/18/14, 02:24 PM
Ford In-Vehicle Technology Rep

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gjcavana
Not true, the core operating system is QNX
Originally Posted by Critical Mass
While I don't have the time to go look up the articles. There are three out there that state that the lower tier Sync systems will remain Microsoft driven after the QNX rollout to the 8 inch LCD displays.

And also that older systems will not be upgradeable.
Hey gjcavana and Critical Mass,

SYNC 3 will introduce new hardware and software. Current MyFord Touch systems will not have the option to upgrade to SYNC 3.
Although the core operating system for SYNC 3 will be QNX, SYNC 3 will not be standard in all vehicles. The basic SYNC (Gen 1.1) will continue to be offered for some models and will still be Microsoft Auto based.

Originally Posted by PJRManagement
I have a 2011 GT Premium with the EP (so I don't know exactly what version 'V' I have). The SYNC system, the screen, the Nav, all work great, because they are simple. Even the display is simple - but I really like that. It works pretty good, I like it. I don't want a complex user interface. Probably because I'm simple!
There is nothing wrong with that! Thanks for sharing, PJRManagement! I’m glad to hear you’re enjoying the system.

Originally Posted by SouthernStang79
is this a software update? Or is it something that will only be availbe in new cars? Will my SYnc in my 2014 be able to upgrade to it?

I dont have Nav just plan sync.
Hi SouthernStang79,

Ford will not offer an option to update current systems to SYNC 3.
Originally Posted by Critical Mass

And I haven't seen a software update for the version of Sync that I have since June 2nd. It's at version 4.3.1 or 4.3.6 or something like that and has been since I bought the car.
If you’d like me to check if any software updates are available for your current system, just send me the VIN in a PM. I’ll gladly take a look!
Originally Posted by JoeMidnight
I was wondering about this too. I know that my wife's 2014 Santa fe, her stereo has a blue background and its SOOOOO bright, even dimmed during the night. I hate it. There is a button that will turn off the display if you want while driving at night, but its annoying because it resets each time you turn the car off.
Good eye, msqr and JoeMidnight!

You’re right. The touchscreen background color is unique for daytime and nighttime. SYNC 3 will automatically switch between the 2 screens based on light detection.

Kim
Old 12/19/14, 05:48 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by FordIVTteam
Hey everyone!

I see you've already checked out the blogs and news articles, but here's a link to more SYNC 3 info:

http://www.ford.com/technology/sync3/

Sounds like she may have some files that aren't compatible with MyFord Touch, and/or a bad cable. Make sure the files types are .mp3, .wma, .wav, and .aac. If that doesn't fix it, try a different cable, and make sure it's from Apple. Let me know how it goes!

Rebecca
It's probably because the system is garbage.

My explorer still isn't fixed - and Ford refuses to fix it. In the shop 11 times for the same thing and still they say there's no problem.

Oh yeah, I haven't had anything plugged into it. Last Ford I'll buy because of the crap service.

Last edited by SeaFoam; 12/19/14 at 05:49 AM.
Old 12/20/14, 05:53 AM
GT Member

Just so everyone doesn't think I'm just angry to be angry:

Name:  LfoEj1s.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  424.4 KB
Name:  FS1az1C.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  387.9 KB

Let this be a warning to you all, it's been like this from the factory.
Old 12/21/14, 10:29 AM
Ford In-Vehicle Technology Rep

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SeaFoam
Just so everyone doesn't think I'm just angry to be angry: ...
Hi SeaFoam,

Please send a PM with your name, VIN, phone number, dealership name, and current mileage. I'll see how I can best assist.

Kim
Old 12/22/14, 11:33 AM
GT Member

Seems like a defective unit more than an issue with the design - the screen clearly says there is no GPS signal so it's basing it off your speed and compass. Probably a defective GPS receiver?
Old 12/23/14, 11:15 AM
Bullitt Member

seems like apple got a hold of it.

Quick Reply: Ford's new SYNC 3...