2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Ford Unlocks Sync AppLink Capabilty for 3.4 Millions 2010 and Newer Vehicles

Search this Thread

Old 11/18/14, 10:19 AM
Cobra Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
how do u check if sync has applink? i tried bunch of apps ford says applink compatible, but they're no different than any other app that uses bluetooth to put sound through speakers
Old 11/19/14, 01:18 PM
GT Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by HizliBullet
how do u check if sync has applink? i tried bunch of apps ford says applink compatible, but they're no different than any other app that uses bluetooth to put sound through speakers

Press the Sync Button and then Say "Mobile Apps" you'll know after that if your cars sync has applnk.
Old 11/19/14, 04:00 PM
Ford In-Vehicle Technology Rep

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi everyone,

I saw a few of you inquiring about the AppLink update mentioned earlier in the year. I am unable to share details about future updates, but keep an eye out at: www.Media.Ford.com for announcements about this topic.

Originally Posted by Boss 0960
… If I remote start my truck when my phone is out of range, I cannot connect to Bluetooth by any means except by the following process. I have to shut the truck off, open the door and lock it with the remote fob while I sit inside (this kills the delayed power function and turns off the radio immediately). Then I have to unlock the truck with the remote fob. Then I can start it so it will reboot Sync and find the Bluetooth on my phone. Every other Bluetooth radio I've owned has been able to find and connect to the primary phone even if it was out of range at start up.
Hi Boss 0960,

This isn’t how the system is designed to function. Try performing some of the Bluetooth troubleshooting tips listed here: http://support.ford.com/sync-technol...eshooting-sync

If the phone doesn’t automatically connect right away, you can press the PHONE button in your vehicle to try and force that connection. Once it is connected, press the VOICE COMMAND button and say BLUETOOTH AUDIO to begin streaming audio from the phone.

Originally Posted by Varilux
I love SYNC- and the ability to stream Pandora- but the whole system causes nothing but worry.
My system splits 50/50 between defaulting to the radio or the USB. That doesn't really bother me, since I just hit the voice command button, say "Mobile Applications," then "Pandora" and I'm on my way. However, about once a week, all I get is a "beep beep" from the system- which will then not accept any verbal commands. The only thing to do is pull over, turn off the car, restart, and then the system works. This occurrence has increased in frequency over the past few months- so I am left to wonder if the system is going kaput! …
Hello Varilux,

A great way to make sure your SYNC system is running smoothly is by performing a master reset: http://support.ford.com/sync-technol...ter-reset-sync Keep in mind that the phone will need to be re-paired after completing this. Here are the instructions: http://support.ford.com/sync-technol...our-phone-sync

Originally Posted by HizliBullet
Check to see if your vehicle is listed here, HizliBullet: http://support.ford.com/sync-technol...-overview-sync

If it is equipped with AppLink, press the VOICE COMMAND button on your steering wheel and say MOBILE APPLICATIONS (or MOBILE APPS) to get started. The video on this page goes into a lot more detail: http://support.ford.com/sync-technol...k-catalog-sync
Let me know if you have any questions.

Kim
Old 11/19/14, 05:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FordIVTteam
Hi Boss 0960,

This isn’t how the system is designed to function. Try performing some of the Bluetooth troubleshooting tips listed here: http://support.ford.com/sync-technol...eshooting-sync

If the phone doesn’t automatically connect right away, you can press the PHONE button in your vehicle to try and force that connection. Once it is connected, press the VOICE COMMAND button and say BLUETOOTH AUDIO to begin streaming audio from the phone.

Kim
My solution is almost exactly the same as your link suggests. The only difference is that I've jump started the process by hitting the door lock on the key fob instead of waiting 30 seconds. I'd rather not wait the 30 seconds every time I get into the vehicle if I don't have to. I'd also prefer not to shut off the ignition and open and close the door every time after remote starting it...but here we are.

HOW TO HELP RESOLVE BLUETOOTH CONNECTION ISSUES
If your phone isn’t connecting to SYNC properly, try the following steps:
1. Turn ignition off
2. Open and close the driver’s door
3. Wait for SYNC to turn off completely. Watch for the clusters to power off
4. Wait 30 seconds before proceeding
5. Turn ignition on
6. Wait for SYNC to turn on completely. Watch for the clusters to power on
Even in the simplest case per your suggestion above, assuming that it works (I'll try it), that still involves pushing the phone button, waiting, hoping for a connection then pushing the voice control button and hoping that that works. It would be so much better if SYNC simply worked the way it should and connect automatically when I come into range. That would require the pushing of zero buttons and require zero waiting time. Waiting is required since I'm not comfortable scrolling through the menu system while driving in traffic.

The remainder of the suggestions only go to show how clunky and user unfriendly SYNC actually is. If I use my remote start with SYNC, it will not automatically connect to my phone when I come into range. Never. Ever. This means that every day during the inclement winter months when I use the remote start, I will have to use either the above suggestion or one of the other processes every time I get into the vehicle.
Old 11/20/14, 07:42 AM

My solution is almost exactly the same as your link suggests. The only difference is that I've jump started the process by hitting the door lock on the key fob instead of waiting 30 seconds. I'd rather not wait the 30 seconds every time I get into the vehicle if I don't have to. I'd also prefer not to shut off the ignition and open and close the door every time after remote starting it...but here we are.

Even in the simplest case per your suggestion above, assuming that it works (I'll try it), that still involves pushing the phone button, waiting, hoping for a connection then pushing the voice control button and hoping that that works. It would be so much better if SYNC simply worked the way it should and connect automatically when I come into range. That would require the pushing of zero buttons and require zero waiting time. Waiting is required since I'm not comfortable scrolling through the menu system while driving in traffic.

The remainder of the suggestions only go to show how clunky and user unfriendly SYNC actually is. If I use my remote start with SYNC, it will not automatically connect to my phone when I come into range. Never. Ever. This means that every day during the inclement winter months when I use the remote start, I will have to use either the above suggestion or one of the other processes every time I get into the vehicle.
When you remote start the vehicle, SYNC will automatically attempt to find a previously paired phone. Depending on how close the car is parked to your house, it may even connect before you get all the way out to the vehicle. A soft reset to the phone will improve the Bluetooth connection with SYNC (Tip #2 on that support page). This is normally done by removing your phone's battery.

If the phone still doesn't automatically connect after entering the vehicle, pressing the PHONE button will force SYNC to search for a previously paired device. I'm hoping this will allow you to keep the vehicle running instead of turning the engine off.

My final suggestion would be to perform a master reset and start from scratch. Here are the instructions for the master reset: http://support.ford.com/sync-technol...ter-reset-sync
If you get to this step, keep in mind that your phone will need to be re-paired with SYNC. Here are the steps: http://support.ford.com/sync-technol...our-phone-sync

Kim
Old 11/20/14, 11:54 AM
Cobra Member

I had to completely unpair the phone from SYNC, delete the Bluetooth connection to SYNC from my phone & in SYNC, restart the phone, restart the Raptor, and then redo the pairing process / address book, etc.

I don't believe it had anything to do with SYNC as I seem to have to do this anytime my phone does a software update.
Old 11/20/14, 01:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by FordIVTteam
If the phone still doesn't automatically connect after entering the vehicle, pressing the PHONE button will force SYNC to search for a previously paired device. I'm hoping this will allow you to keep the vehicle running instead of turning the engine off.

Kim
This works. Pushing the phone button on the steering wheel gave me the message "No Device Found" but when I looked down a second later, my phone was listed on the screen. Two more pushes on the dash to select and confirm the connection, then one more push on the steering wheel and a voice command to select Bluetooth Audio. Now I am down to four button pushes in two separate locations and a voice command. It is better than shutting the vehicle down and opening the door in the winter.

Since this thread is about SYNC updates, is now a good time to discuss an update where SYNC will default to Bluetooth Audio if that is the source I am using when I turn the vehicle off? It is the only source I want to use in the vehicle and it is a nuisance to have to push the button every time I start it and say "Bluetooth Audio".
Old 11/21/14, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by 69Mach1-409
I had to completely unpair the phone from SYNC, delete the Bluetooth connection to SYNC from my phone & in SYNC, restart the phone, restart the Raptor, and then redo the pairing process / address book, etc.

I don't believe it had anything to do with SYNC as I seem to have to do this anytime my phone does a software update.
Thanks for sharing! This is very common, 69Mach1-409. Any time the software is changed on either the phone or SYNC, I normally recommend deleting the device and re-pairing it. If you don't do this, SYNC can start acting a little screwy for some reason.

This works. Pushing the phone button on the steering wheel gave me the message "No Device Found" but when I looked down a second later, my phone was listed on the screen. Two more pushes on the dash to select and confirm the connection, then one more push on the steering wheel and a voice command to select Bluetooth Audio. Now I am down to four button pushes in two separate locations and a voice command. It is better than shutting the vehicle down and opening the door in the winter.

Since this thread is about SYNC updates, is now a good time to discuss an update where SYNC will default to Bluetooth Audio if that is the source I am using when I turn the vehicle off? It is the only source I want to use in the vehicle and it is a nuisance to have to push the button every time I start it and say "Bluetooth Audio".
I would normally suggest to post your suggestion here: http://social.ford.com/your-ideas/ but since the website seems to be getting a revamp, I'm happy to document your feedback on my end.

If you're interested in this option, please send a PM with your full name, VIN, current mileage, and best phone number and I'll be happy to submit it.

Kim
Old 11/21/14, 10:21 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have found that a lot of Android apps that ford lists as compatible, aren't really compatible.

The only app besides Sync Destinations that seems reliable is Pandora. All the rest of them like NPR news, etc. Don't work. (It recognized NPR news once, but wouldn't play the headlines).

It also doesn't seem high on their priority list of fixes either. I contacted NPR news about the issue and never heard a response.

Last edited by Critical Mass; 11/21/14 at 10:23 AM.
Old 11/21/14, 10:30 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ahh, the Sync Lottery. Guess the media source...turn the ignition key to play. I play every time I get in my Mustang or F-150. Kim has already confirmed on this site that there is no way to select a default source on start up.

Normally, you would expect a radio to return to the source that was on when it was powered down. I have no idea why Sync won't perform that simple function. My Sync systems even have a setting called Autoplay that is always set to "on". Yet even when the Bluetooth input is on at start up, it will not automatically play music from my phone. Even if the display reads "Bluetooth Media", I have to push the button, the radio will say "Bluetooth Audio. Please say a command" and I have to say "Bluetooth Audio" to get it to play.

Now that winter is here, my next biggest Sync failure will plague me until spring. If I remote start my truck when my phone is out of range, I cannot connect to Bluetooth by any means except by the following process. I have to shut the truck off, open the door and lock it with the remote fob while I sit inside (this kills the delayed power function and turns off the radio immediately). Then I have to unlock the truck with the remote fob. Then I can start it so it will reboot Sync and find the Bluetooth on my phone. Every other Bluetooth radio I've owned has been able to find and connect to the primary phone even if it was out of range at start up.

Let's face it, there is a reason that Sync by itself has dropped Ford from near the top of the quality rankings to near the bottom of the quality rankings. Sync is garbage by design and there is no avoiding it in the prepackaged world of ordering a Ford vehicle. If you want anything but the cheapest base model, you get Sync and there is no way to fix it without a complete replacement.

In 2009 it used to work this way, they changed it and it now defaults to the radio every time unless you put it in accessory mode for about 30 seconds before starting the car. It's a bug that has yet to be fixed is my guess.
Old 11/21/14, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Critical Mass
I have found that a lot of Android apps that ford lists as compatible, aren't really compatible.

The only app besides Sync Destinations that seems reliable is Pandora. All the rest of them like NPR news, etc. Don't work. (It recognized NPR news once, but wouldn't play the headlines).

It also doesn't seem high on their priority list of fixes either. I contacted NPR news about the issue and never heard a response.
Hello Critical Mass,

First, make sure you're running the latest software version by logging in at: www.Support.Ford.com and clicking UPDATE SYNC SOFTWARE. Once you've verified that, perform a soft reset to your phone to make sure the Bluetooth connection is at it's best. This is normally done by removing the battery if possible.

Connect the phone to SYNC again and give the command MOBILE APPS. If the other compatible apps are not being recognized still, try deleting the app and re-installing it. Check out this link to see which apps are designed to work with AppLink: http://support.ford.com/sync-technol...k-catalog-sync

Kim