Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Ford Unlocks Sync AppLink Capabilty for 3.4 Millions 2010 and Newer Vehicles

Search this Thread

Old 1/5/14, 11:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ford Unlocks Sync AppLink Capabilty for 3.4 Millions 2010 and Newer Vehicles

This according to Motor Trend: http://wot.motortrend.com/1401_ford_..._vehicles.html

Are we early 2011 Mustang owners with NAV finally getting some love from Ford? I seriously doubt it but hopping for the best.
Old 1/5/14, 01:36 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by newpony
This according to Motor Trend: http://wot.motortrend.com/1401_ford_..._vehicles.html

Are we early 2011 Mustang owners with NAV finally getting some love from Ford? I seriously doubt it but hopping for the best.
Keep your fingers crossed but I believe this is just for MFT equipped vehicles. The explorer, edge and other MFT cars haven't had apps as far as I know until now, after being promised by ford a while ago. But I hope I'm wrong and everyone gets the love.

Last edited by rhrh; 1/5/14 at 01:37 PM.
Old 1/5/14, 05:48 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by rhrh
Keep your fingers crossed but I believe this is just for MFT equipped vehicles. The explorer, edge and other MFT cars haven't had apps as far as I know until now, after being promised by ford a while ago. But I hope I'm wrong and everyone gets the love.
That doesn't make any sense because MFT didn't exist prior the 2011 Edge. They wouldn't have announced availability for 2010 vehicles if only for MFT.
Old 1/5/14, 07:38 PM
Bullitt Member

This is amazing news!!! It is very possible to be able to release updates that would bring parity to all of the FoMoCo nav systems 2010 and onwards (Sync HDD v1, v2, MFT 1-4).

I want to see how many BMW and MB owners receive updates from the mothership to bring their COMAND and iDrives up to date apps wise?
Old 1/5/14, 09:57 PM
Banned

i just hate that hardly any apps work w/ sync.

Pandora and Slacker are the only that work that I might use.
Old 1/5/14, 10:04 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by TomServo92
That doesn't make any sense because MFT didn't exist prior the 2011 Edge. They wouldn't have announced availability for 2010 vehicles if only for MFT.
Good point, so I'm guessing 2010+ is when SYNC was updated in which case we should get some love.
Old 1/6/14, 04:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I wish to GOD they would just make the MFT and the rest of the electronics do what they're supposed to do correctly in the first place and quit yammering about all the 'improvements' coming.

I know some people don't have any issues... but I'm not one of them (2013 Escape).

And save the suggestions to PM the Ford reps, because more than one of them has had a chance on two forums and I got crickets. I'm through talking to Ford about it until the next time to buy comes along.
Old 1/6/14, 08:07 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sense the summer update for MFT it has worked great in the Raptor!

..but it has zero apps available for it. Hopefully something will come out for it now.
Old 1/6/14, 11:05 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 547 Likes on 355 Posts
Originally Posted by wannabe
I wish to GOD they would just make the MFT and the rest of the electronics do what they're supposed to do correctly in the first place and quit yammering about all the 'improvements' coming.

I know some people don't have any issues... but I'm not one of them (2013 Escape).

And save the suggestions to PM the Ford reps, because more than one of them has had a chance on two forums and I got crickets. I'm through talking to Ford about it until the next time to buy comes along.
I am thinking it is MFT in the 2013 Edge also, and I know someone that is getting rather upset with the whole Sync thing in it
A lot of the stuff I use through my phone already, just goes through the Bluetooth on the radio.
Old 1/6/14, 03:28 PM
V6 Member

A man can wish... Yeah my 2012 explorer has recently been having some issues with MFT. I'm not planning on getting much help from ford since we are now at 55,000 miles. I don't want to have to go through the hassle of the easycare extended warranty.
Old 1/6/14, 04:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
A man can wish... Yeah my 2012 explorer has recently been having some issues with MFT. I'm not planning on getting much help from ford since we are now at 55,000 miles. I don't want to have to go through the hassle of the easycare extended warranty.
Well, not to beat a dead horse (again), but I got nothing from Ford when the vehicle was BRAND NEW. When I finally managed to get escalated to the district manager level (on my own, as I recall), the official word was 'it's a convenience, not a safety issue'... so essentially, too bad so sad. It's still not right. Still turns the radio on by itself; still loses track of where it left off playing from USB; still goes to whatever media mode it wants to be in at the time it turns itself on. The phone may or may not ring in the car, and when it does, you may or may not be able to answer it. The only good thing I can say is that we've had no issues at all with the navigation... and that's what most people have trouble with. But I'll shut up now. At least for this thread.
Old 1/6/14, 10:23 PM
V6 Member

Well, not to beat a dead horse (again), but I got nothing from Ford when the vehicle was BRAND NEW. When I finally managed to get escalated to the district manager level (on my own, as I recall), the official word was 'it's a convenience, not a safety issue'... so essentially, too bad so sad. It's still not right. Still turns the radio on by itself; still loses track of where it left off playing from USB; still goes to whatever media mode it wants to be in at the time it turns itself on. The phone may or may not ring in the car, and when it does, you may or may not be able to answer it. The only good thing I can say is that we've had no issues at all with the navigation... and that's what most people have trouble with. But I'll shut up now. At least for this thread.
Ugh I feel ya, don't want to get myself too off topic on this thread but I went through the same thing. Either it was "we fixed it" (nope you didn't) or "we couldn't find the problem". My radio turns on by itself, I can say its gotten much better, but once in a while it'll turn itself on when I'm on the phone. The bluetooth refuses to connect to someone new and isn't ever discoverable. I really love the explorer, it's an awesome car. The main reason I got this car because at the time it had sooo much new technology for the price. I was mesmerized by MFT's capabilities, and the auto parallel park (for fun), collision detection etc. It's no fun if I can't use the capabilities consistently. I just wish I will continue to love it like I did on day one, but I feel like I've been covering for Ford's mistakes. MFT is infuriating at times and cool at others. I need something that is always the same. I knew getting the mustang it wasn't going to be a tech car, I was getting it to drive. But I can atleast trust my mustang to be consistent on what it does.
Old 1/8/14, 06:43 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
What good is the 'unlock' when the basic sync doesn't work on our 2013 Edge Limited Been to the dealer 8 times. They get it working then 4 weeks later, stops working again. Ford and our dealer is working with us but we can't keep doing this 'forever'
Old 1/9/14, 05:03 PM
Ford In-Vehicle Technology Rep

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi wannabe,

I just sent you a PM.

Ugh I feel ya, don't want to get myself too off topic on this thread but I went through the same thing. Either it was "we fixed it" (nope you didn't) or "we couldn't find the problem". My radio turns on by itself, I can say its gotten much better, but once in a while it'll turn itself on when I'm on the phone. The bluetooth refuses to connect to someone new and isn't ever discoverable. I really love the explorer, it's an awesome car. The main reason I got this car because at the time it had sooo much new technology for the price. I was mesmerized by MFT's capabilities, and the auto parallel park (for fun), collision detection etc. It's no fun if I can't use the capabilities consistently. I just wish I will continue to love it like I did on day one, but I feel like I've been covering for Ford's mistakes. MFT is infuriating at times and cool at others. I need something that is always the same. I knew getting the mustang it wasn't going to be a tech car, I was getting it to drive. But I can atleast trust my mustang to be consistent on what it does.
Hey rhrh,

I know you're trying to avoid a dealership visit, but maybe I can help. Just to clarify, do you have more than one phone connecting to the vehicle? Which types of phones are you connecting. Please provide any other details that may be helpful. I'll let you know what I suggest.

Originally Posted by David Young
What good is the 'unlock' when the basic sync doesn't work on our 2013 Edge Limited Been to the dealer 8 times. They get it working then 4 weeks later, stops working again. Ford and our dealer is working with us but we can't keep doing this 'forever'
Is it currently working correctly, David Young? If not, send me a PM with your VIN, mileage, dealer info and phone number. Provide some details about what's happening; I'll see how I can assist.

Kim
Old 1/9/14, 07:43 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by FordIVTteam
Hi wannabe,

I just sent you a PM.

Hey rhrh,

I know you're trying to avoid a dealership visit, but maybe I can help. Just to clarify, do you have more than one phone connecting to the vehicle? Which types of phones are you connecting. Please provide any other details that may be helpful. I'll let you know what I suggest.

Is it currently working correctly, David Young? If not, send me a PM with your VIN, mileage, dealer info and phone number. Provide some details about what's happening; I'll see how I can assist.

Kim
Hey Kim thanks for trying to help out. I currently only have 1 phone connected. I used to have multiple however it started failing to connect to any of them so I had to do a reset and got 1 phone connected. Now whenever I try to connect another one it says its discoverable on the car but no matter what device I use it doesn't show up. All of the phones are either iPhone 4s or 5's
Old 1/10/14, 05:03 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
Thanks for the offer Kim. I feel (for now) Ford is doing everything possible. A few more steps to try then they will replace the whole system.
Old 1/10/14, 11:40 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Kim/Ford IVT team, since you're on this thread, can you clarify for us the AppLink capability upgrade and what Mustangs it will or won't affect?
Old 1/12/14, 10:48 AM

Hey Kim thanks for trying to help out. I currently only have 1 phone connected. I used to have multiple however it started failing to connect to any of them so I had to do a reset and got 1 phone connected. Now whenever I try to connect another one it says its discoverable on the car but no matter what device I use it doesn't show up. All of the phones are either iPhone 4s or 5's
Hold the POWER and HOME buttons on both iPhones until the Apple logo appears. This will improve the Bluetooth connection with SYNC. Although you can pair multiple phones through your system, only one can be primary at a time.

There are 2 ways to pair that second phone. Here is the first way: http://support.ford.com/sync-technol...our-phone-sync
and here is the second: http://support.ford.com/sync-technol...air-phone-sync Give them both a shot. Let me know if you're still unable to get the second phone paired after trying both methods.

Originally Posted by David Young
Thanks for the offer Kim. I feel (for now) Ford is doing everything possible. A few more steps to try then they will replace the whole system.
I'm glad they are working with you to get this resolved. Please reach out to me if you need any further assistance.

Originally Posted by kylerohde
Kim/Ford IVT team, since you're on this thread, can you clarify for us the AppLink capability upgrade and what Mustangs it will or won't affect?
Hi kylerohde,

Here was the official announcement: http://media.ford.com/content/fordme...w-mustang.html This is the only information that I am able to share at this point. Once I get some clarification on this, I'll be sure to keep you all in the loop.

Kim
Old 1/12/14, 05:30 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by FordIVTteam
Hi kylerohde,

Here was the official announcement: http://media.ford.com/content/fordme...w-mustang.html This is the only information that I am able to share at this point. Once I get some clarification on this, I'll be sure to keep you all in the loop.

Kim
So based on that, Ford is not saying that anything but the 2015 is getting anything new. Guess we have to go on Motor Trend's report and hope for now.
Old 1/13/14, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by kylerohde
So based on that, Ford is not saying that anything but the 2015 is getting anything new. Guess we have to go on Motor Trend's report and hope for now.
Ford has confirmed that AppLink will be introduced as a free upgrade to current owners later this year. I am unable to provide information on which specific systems/vehicles this will be introduced to at this time. As more information becomes available, I'll continue to share. Here is a link to the article I'm referring to: http://media.ford.com/content/fordme...customers.html

Kim

Quick Reply: Ford Unlocks Sync AppLink Capabilty for 3.4 Millions 2010 and Newer Vehicles