Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Engine noise update

Search this Thread

Old 8/13/14, 04:19 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine noise update

So after it was decided by Ford that the noise was normal operation, I got check engine and oil light. It was getting cam sensor codes. The tech checked the plugs and cleared the codes. Engine light back on the next morning and oil light on again. The engine is also losing power. The tech has now found the engine has no oil pressure and metal in the oil. Ford wants oil pan dropped and everything visually inspected to find the problem. Everything pointing to engine replacement. I made it known that I will not drive it off the lot without a new engine. No getting the metal back out.

Anyone with the noise, be sure to check oil for metal and even drop your pan and inspect it.
Old 8/13/14, 04:26 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cobrajg
So after it was decided by Ford that the noise was normal operation, I got check engine and oil light. It was getting cam sensor codes. The tech checked the plugs and cleared the codes. Engine light back on the next morning and oil light on again. The engine is also losing power. The tech has now found the engine has no oil pressure and metal in the oil. Ford wants oil pan dropped and everything visually inspected to find the problem. Everything pointing to engine replacement. I made it known that I will not drive it off the lot without a new engine. No getting the metal back out.

Anyone with the noise, be sure to check oil for metal and even drop your pan and inspect it.
I wonder if a finger follower failed. I've read that before and then metal is pumped throughout the engine taking out the oil pump, cams, and no doubt damage everywhere.

Original thread:
https://themustangsource.com/forums/...5/#post6835474
Old 8/14/14, 12:42 PM
V6 Member

Just got a call from the dealer. Ford had the tech take the car for a road test with computer hooked up. The cam shaft froze up and blew the chain through the bottom of the block and out the oil pan. New engine will be here next week. Joy!
Old 8/14/14, 12:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Glad you're getting a new engine!
Old 8/14/14, 12:52 PM
GT Member

****! talk about vidication... glad to hear the story ends well. Enjoy the new motor.
Old 8/14/14, 12:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Woah... well, glad you're getting it taken care of. Good luck man
Old 8/14/14, 01:15 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Originally Posted by cobrajg
Just got a call from the dealer. Ford had the tech take the car for a road test with computer hooked up. The cam shaft froze up and blew the chain through the bottom of the block and out the oil pan. New engine will be here next week. Joy!
Yeah, no coming back from that. Glad to hear Ford it taking care of the new motor.

If I were you I'd be inquiring if they can put a Ford Racing Aluminator with forged internals and just pay for the difference between it and factory Coyote . That would be a Win-Win

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 8/14/14 at 01:16 PM.
Old 8/14/14, 01:21 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
Yeah, no coming back from that. Glad to hear Ford it taking care of the new motor. If I were you I'd be inquiring if they can put a Ford Racing Aluminator with forged internals and just pay for the difference between it and factory Coyote . That would be a Win-Win
This!

Wasn't your engine all stock, OP? What was the cause of the initial failure?
Old 8/14/14, 01:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
Yeah, no coming back from that. Glad to hear Ford it taking care of the new motor.

If I were you I'd be inquiring if they can put a Ford Racing Aluminator with forged internals and just pay for the difference between it and factory Coyote . That would be a Win-Win
This 100%!

A coyote crate engine is about $7,200 MSRP, and the Aluminator is $8,800 MSRP. I'd definitely look into paying the difference if they approve it. It's got Mahle forged pistons and Manley H-beam forged rods, Boss 302 valve springs and ARP 2000 bolts.

Last edited by KushBandit; 8/14/14 at 01:26 PM.
Old 8/14/14, 01:32 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

That's great to read, tech knows there is metal in the oil and decides to drive it anyway, smart. Do the Aluminator if you can swing it.
Old 8/14/14, 01:33 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Brandon302
That's great to read, tech knows there is metal in the oil and decides to drive it anyway, smart. Do the Aluminator if you can swing it.
Right? I was reading, and see that Ford instructed the tech to do so. I'm like "uhhhhh???"
Old 8/14/14, 01:35 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
This!

Wasn't your engine all stock, OP? What was the cause of the initial failure?

Yep all stock. Won't know until the Ford engineers get it and break it down.

Originally Posted by KushBandit
This 100%!

A coyote crate engine is about $7,200 MSRP, and the Aluminator is $8,800 MSRP. I'd definitely look into paying the difference if they approve it. It's got Mahle forged pistons and Manley H-beam forged rods, Boss 302 valve springs and ARP 2000 bolts.

This would be great, but I wonder how that would affect the warranty. I'll ask when I go up in an hour to take some pics.
Old 8/14/14, 01:56 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38
Right? I was reading, and see that Ford instructed the tech to do so. I'm like "uhhhhh???"
I work for a very large electronics manufacture. Some times Manufacturers reps, Field reps have to follow a protocol like you can not replace the motor unless it is blown.
Some times we have to make sure it is blown. LOL Makes sure the customer and the Dealer are happy.
Old 8/14/14, 02:34 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Jazzman442
I work for a very large electronics manufacture. Some times Manufacturers reps, Field reps have to follow a protocol like you can not replace the motor unless it is blown. Some times we have to make sure it is blown. LOL Makes sure the customer and the Dealer are happy.
Hmm...fair enough.
Old 8/14/14, 02:37 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Brandon302
Originally Posted by Jazzman442
I work for a very large electronics manufacture. Some times Manufacturers reps, Field reps have to follow a protocol like you can not replace the motor unless it is blown.
Some times we have to make sure it is blown. LOL Makes sure the customer and the Dealer are happy.
Sounds like the mechanic and Dealer didn't want to hear any crap from Corporate.

Last edited by cdynaco; 8/14/14 at 02:40 PM.
Old 8/14/14, 03:02 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Aluminator replacement for difference in cost would be awesome.

OP, glad you are being taken care of. How many miles did you have? And you were ALL STOCK, and it still did this??? wow...
Old 8/15/14, 06:33 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
LOL .. sound was normal .. sometimes I have to really question the competence of these mechanics that work at dealerships. Jeese. Lucky you didn't have a Tune on your car or they would be trying to deny the claim I am sure.
Old 8/15/14, 07:16 AM
GT Member

Dude... the aluminator would be awesome if they'd let you pay the difference.
Old 8/15/14, 08:00 AM
V6 Member

Car is 14 months old with ~6300 miles, all stock other than GT500 ABs.

No go on the aluminator.

The driver side cover was off and upper cam removed. No pic of the oil pan as they had a big pan under the car. I can't understand how this wouldn't be the cause of the noise.

Link to large pic: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xljajg3at5...ngine-full.jpg

Old 8/15/14, 08:19 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wonder if you had a tune, you'd have to foot the bill regardless if that's what caused it. This just convinced me not to get one unless I get a blower w/warranty. You just never know. Hope everything works out and you're up and running again soon...

Quick Reply: Engine noise update