2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Driver Side Power Seat Failure

Search this Thread

Old 7/11/16, 08:32 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
The worm gear is, unfortunately, part of the motor.

The motor, unfortunately, is part of the seat track.

Which is why in my earlier post I recommended scouting about for a track in just about any Ford product of that era to get them, because if you need that part... you're not gonna get it without the full seat.

Last edited by houtex; 7/11/16 at 08:39 PM.
Old 7/12/16, 06:23 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
dang...someone with the necessary capital (American Muscle, are you listening???) should start making these parts with higher durability materials. Might take a while to do the reverse engineering though
Old 7/12/16, 10:06 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I've been watching this thread as my car had this same failure. The dealership just replaced it under my extended warranty. Now I'm just waiting for them to finish my a/c repair. Im the lucky guy who has had most of the common mustang problems. That has to be a record.
Old 7/12/16, 12:32 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Is the break occurring when the seat is pushed to its max distance? One member says he pushed it up all the way to clean underneath. I'm thinking that once the seat hits it's limit, pushing on the button again and again only aids in destroying the cheap gears.

Anyone barely move it and it break?
Old 7/12/16, 05:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Getportfolio
Is the break occurring when the seat is pushed to its max distance? One member says he pushed it up all the way to clean underneath. I'm thinking that once the seat hits it's limit, pushing on the button again and again only aids in destroying the cheap gears.

In my situation the seat is always kept in the lowest position, however, when moved to the full upright position is when it failed. So maybe it's not necessarily the constant bumping of the switch but the continuous operation of the gears as it operates through a full cycle.

Just my two cents
Old 7/13/16, 12:29 PM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Getportfolio
---
Both of mine (Driver's & Passenger's) broke without ever being at the max limit - and minimal usage. Cheap is cheap, and these cheap parts break for no good reason, period.
Old 7/15/16, 06:28 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Already in one already. For the air bag.
Old 7/15/16, 06:45 AM
Bullitt Member

Class action lawsuits don't accomplish anything. The lawsuit for the hood corrosion was decided in favor of Ford. If the court did settle in favor of the consumer, you would get a free oil change as compensation and the lawyers would be paid millions.
Old 7/17/16, 05:28 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
I was offered to be in a class action lawsuit once. I didn't do it but i knew someone who did. After 2 years she got $27 ****ing dollars

Last edited by David Young; 7/17/16 at 05:29 AM.
Old 7/17/16, 02:17 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Not just any ol' dollars, nosir. ****ing dollars, the dollars that ****.

...I'm gonna go with 'fold', but you guys go with whatever works on that ****ing starred out bit.
Old 7/17/16, 11:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member

lol yeah, but billion-dollar companies selling us crap is crap, IMO.
Funny, my '06 Mustang power seat is working just fine. Up, down, left, right, back, forth.... Nary a complaint. And the same was true of my '95 Lincoln, my '87 Lincoln, and my '66 TBirds, none of which ever gave out. All Fords.

Back to the '06 Mustang here, 138000 miles comin' up, and I have been adjusting it all the time. My back gives me troubles, as does my knee, so sometimes I have to deal with that, and the seat gets tweaked a little.

So.. they're not selling crap. Some of you lucky people get a bad part here and there, or cause it (without knowing it) and it fails.

Let me tell you, while I'm here being a Ford advocate, what is still working and original on my car: the original clutch.

This is a vintage 2006 MY era standard clutch on a 300 horsepower machine that is still going strong. And I test it every day, both the "40MPH floor it in second and see if it slips" test and the "Rev it to 3500 RPM and dump the clutch doing a boiling tire burnout and keep on going power shifting through 2nd and 3rd" test, as well as all other 'not nice' type clutch 'tests', and it's still going strong at 138000 miles.

I am not nice at all to my clutch, or drive train. I run this car hard all the time. I get crap gas mileage from it too, but heck yeah, she is not treated 'nice'. Not in the driving style. Oh sure, I get to speed, and then set cruise, or it's not appropriate to be doing this so I do the 'nice' start at a light, but when I get the opportunity? Funtime will ensue, and she loves being the masochist she is.

That ain't crap. That's freaking Awesome. Some of you guys/gals should be so lucky.

So, having said that, if the worst thing is a power seat worm gear that probably was traumatized in some way unwittingly gives up the ghost? I am buying a new track, because it's not hard to fix, and I'll likely *never do it again*, given my track record.

I thought *I* was hard on my cars... yeesh. Y'all are a tough crowd...

(Please note... I do all I can maintenance wise to keep her happy and going. Regular oil changes. Air and gas filters. Flushes. Whatever that'll keep her from being majorly broken, she gets it. Which is maybe why I am rewarded with a daily driver that seems to not mind the occasional torture I put her through. Yes, she has her wrinkles, bruises, and even warts, but overall? Hell of a car Ford built. Seriously. )

Last edited by houtex; 7/17/16 at 11:48 PM.
Old 7/18/16, 03:31 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
I think who ever is making the ****ing parts for the power seat are letting a few ****ing bad parts sneak by here and there .
Old 7/18/16, 08:27 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by houtex
Funny, my '06 Mustang power seat is working just fine. Up, down, left, right, back, forth.... Nary a complaint. And the same was true of my '95 Lincoln, my '87 Lincoln, and my '66 TBirds, none of which ever gave out. All Fords.

Back to the '06 Mustang here, 138000 miles comin' up, and I have been adjusting it all the time. My back gives me troubles, as does my knee, so sometimes I have to deal with that, and the seat gets tweaked a little.

So.. they're not selling crap. Some of you lucky people get a bad part here and there, or cause it (without knowing it) and it fails.

Let me tell you, while I'm here being a Ford advocate, what is still working and original on my car: the original clutch.

This is a vintage 2006 MY era standard clutch on a 300 horsepower machine that is still going strong. And I test it every day, both the "40MPH floor it in second and see if it slips" test and the "Rev it to 3500 RPM and dump the clutch doing a boiling tire burnout and keep on going power shifting through 2nd and 3rd" test, as well as all other 'not nice' type clutch 'tests', and it's still going strong at 138000 miles.

I am not nice at all to my clutch, or drive train. I run this car hard all the time. I get crap gas mileage from it too, but heck yeah, she is not treated 'nice'. Not in the driving style. Oh sure, I get to speed, and then set cruise, or it's not appropriate to be doing this so I do the 'nice' start at a light, but when I get the opportunity? Funtime will ensue, and she loves being the masochist she is.

That ain't crap. That's freaking Awesome. Some of you guys/gals should be so lucky.

So, having said that, if the worst thing is a power seat worm gear that probably was traumatized in some way unwittingly gives up the ghost? I am buying a new track, because it's not hard to fix, and I'll likely *never do it again*, given my track record.

(Please note... I do all I can maintenance wise to keep her happy and going. Regular oil changes. Air and gas filters. Flushes. Whatever that'll keep her from being majorly broken, she gets it. Which is maybe why I am rewarded with a daily driver that seems to not mind the occasional torture I put her through. Yes, she has her wrinkles, bruises, and even warts, but overall? Hell of a car Ford built. Seriously. )
I don't think the issue is if ford can build a great car. The issue is whether ford can build one consistently. The same failures seem to repeat themselves. This a/c and the seat issue being most common. I'd tend to agree that these are isolated instances and rare if I didn't have both failures already. Quality control seems to be an issue. I love the car and still plan to keep it. Threads like this are entirely too common.
Old 7/18/16, 06:59 PM

I've owned 7 fords...4 of them being mustangs. I've done all my own maintenance on my cars. My 90 GT, 02 GT & 06 GT were all great cars, driven both on the street and track. While stationed overseas I decided to save my pennies and purchase a 13 GT California Special, added all the bells and whistles. The 5.0 motor in my S197 is awesome! However, all the extra things ford has installed as premium addition are not so great. My passenger side pony projector went out, my driver side door subwoofer blew, my hood had bubbles on the front leading edge ( which recently chipped), my driver side power seat gear failed and now my power window is having problems. Theses are the areas Ford needs to work on. The motors and trannies have always been pretty consistent.
Old 7/19/16, 07:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 144 Likes on 109 Posts
Originally Posted by 13gt/cs

The Power Seat Parts Kit arrived today from Tasca Ford. The kit number is ER3Z-78617D66-A, it comes with everything to make the repair except for the worm gear. Does anybody have a good part number for the worm gear, it's the second photo in the original post.
Have you repaired your seat yet?
Old 7/19/16, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by Rog13GTCS
Have you repaired your seat yet?
Still looking for the worm gear that attaches to the flex drive on the motor. I only have a few weeks left at my current duty assignment, might wait until I get to my next base before I start looking through salvage yards again. The gear replacement is pretty straight forward, took me about 30 mins to remove the driver side seat and pull both gears out.

Let me know if you need any help
The following users liked this post:
Rog13GTCS (7/21/16)
Old 7/20/16, 12:24 AM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
So, having said that, if the worst thing is a power seat worm gear that probably was traumatized in some way unwittingly gives up the ghost?
---
Dear HOUTEX: I must respectfully disagree with you here. Please take some time to go back and read this thread from the beginning...especially my posts. You will note that I have written that BOTH my Driver-Side and Passenger-Side up/down failed. One at 10k, the other at 20k. Both needed the entire seat track assembly to be replaced. I weigh only 165 lbs, and I rarely move the seat(s). I, too, take care of my car - fanatically. My 2011 GT Premium has only 22k on the odometer, and looks immaculate. This does not matter. Just like your well-working clutch does not matter here. The part we are referring to is cheap - no question about it. And it's incorporated in such a way that the entire seat track is required to be replaced - which FoMoCo tried to stiff me on with my extended warranty. I do love my car, and the way it performs. But the cheap parts used in so many areas is very frustrating. Consider yourself lucky to have your cars not need all of these annoying and time-consuming fixes that so many of us need now.
The following users liked this post:
Coyote5-0 (7/20/16)
Old 7/31/16, 07:51 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
Part number ER3Z-78617D66-A fixed my seat. It is a fairly straight-forward repair. The hard part was driving out pin connecting the drive assembly to the lifting lever. The kit includes new screws and even a tube of grease. I careful examination of the old part is needed to know how to assemble the drive assembly since there are no instructions. This was much better (less than $50) than a whole new track.

Note: The drive cable and worm gear seemed ok so I had no problem using the new kit with the old worm gear.

Last edited by SpectreH; 7/31/16 at 09:32 PM.
Old 7/31/16, 07:53 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by SpectreH

Note: The drive cable and worm gear seemed ok so I had no problem using the new kit with the old work gear.
uh oh! I guess we'll see if yours holds up. Hopefully it does
Old 8/28/16, 05:32 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My seat motor started making a "different" sound when moved back and forth. I rarely move it, but these hardheaded guys at the car washes around the city always move the seat even when I ask them not to. Since I'm outside the USA and getting something done or parts can be a problem at times. I don't want to take the chance of this thing failing in a bad position so I pulled the fuse for both seats.

Quick Reply: Driver Side Power Seat Failure