2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Drag Racing an Auto Trans

Old 6/2/12, 01:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drag Racing an Auto Trans

For you seasoned drag strip drivers, what is your technique for competing in the 1/4 mile? What are your recommendations as to launch without damaging the engine/drivetrain? What RPMs do you use to launch and get the best time?

My personal experience was to brakestand in the warmup pit. I then did the same brakestand at the line, launching at about 4K RPM. She spun a bit on launch, but logged a 13.3 for my best time. This is when she was bone stock. Hoping my new setup gets me in the 12's.
Old 6/2/12, 02:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Bone stock runs in the 12's........
Old 6/2/12, 04:08 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by brewsky54
For you seasoned drag strip drivers, what is your technique for competing in the 1/4 mile? What are your recommendations as to launch without damaging the engine/drivetrain? What RPMs do you use to launch and get the best time?

My personal experience was to brakestand in the warmup pit. I then did the same brakestand at the line, launching at about 4K RPM. She spun a bit on launch, but logged a 13.3 for my best time. This is when she was bone stock. Hoping my new setup gets me in the 12's.

How did you get 4K rpm on launch out of a stock automatic???

Probably going to get the quickest time by leaving at idle and rolling onto the throttle.
Old 6/3/12, 10:19 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Assuming your automatic has the factory torque converter and you're running the factory tires, I would suggest that you pump up your front tires to 40-45 psi, drop your rear tires down to 20-25 psi. Heat up your back tires with a healthy burnout in the burnout box (with the brakes on to start, then let off to roll out of the water while still spinning the tires). Pull up to stage, but shallow stage (barely getting the second amber staging light to come on). Keep your foot on the brakes and hold about 1800-2000 rpm's to load the converter. On the last amber light, release the brakes and mash the gas to the floor. Don't lift off the gas until you're about 60' past the finish line. Check your timeslip and thank me later.

Last edited by Five Oh Brian; 6/3/12 at 09:43 PM.
Old 6/3/12, 09:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

My Auto car ran a 12.80 @111mph on street tires, launching at about 1200 rpm's. Only mod was a Tune.
Old 6/3/12, 09:51 PM

Click here to watch a vid of my friend, Rhonda, in her '11 5.0L automatic vs my supercharged '07 Mustang automatic. This vid shows how the burnout and staging should happen. Ignore my overly zealous burnout, though, and focus on Rhonda's '11 5.0L...

FYI, her '11 ran a 12.30 @ 113+ in this pass with just an SCT tuner, drag radials, 1-pc driveshaft, and axlebacks.
Old 6/3/12, 11:40 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Five Oh Brian
Click here to watch a vid of my friend, Rhonda, in her '11 5.0L automatic vs my supercharged '07 Mustang automatic. This vid shows how the burnout and staging should happen. Ignore my overly zealous burnout, though, and focus on Rhonda's '11 5.0L...

FYI, her '11 ran a 12.30 @ 113+ in this pass with just an SCT tuner, drag radials, 1-pc driveshaft, and axlebacks.
Jeesh who did the filming? About 1 minute late to see the time board. LoL
Old 6/4/12, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by UnrealFord
Jeesh who did the filming? About 1 minute late to see the time board. LoL
Rhonda's husband, Dave, ran the camera. He's much better at racing - has an '03 Cobra that runs mid '11's and a '70 Mach 1 428 CJ that runs mid 12's.
Old 6/4/12, 07:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your track was ok going in the water with street tires? The track I go to has a freakn' cow if you touch the water with streets lol.
Old 6/4/12, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by db2797
Your track was ok going in the water with street tires? The track I go to has a freakn' cow if you touch the water with streets lol.
We were both on DOT drag radials, so our track is okay with us backing into the water. This track is Pacific Raceways (formerly known as Seattle International Raceways). At least they have us drive around the water box before backing up to burnout. Our other local track (Bremerton Raceway) makes everyone drive through the water before backing up, which IMO carries water up to the starting line from the front tires. Amazing how each track does things differently.
Old 6/5/12, 02:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
How did you get 4K rpm on launch out of a stock automatic???
Easy. Using my left foot, I mash the brake to floor. Then, with my right foot, push the gas pedal. Wait until the tach reads 4,000. Release brake.

Last edited by brewsky54; 6/5/12 at 03:08 PM.
Old 6/5/12, 03:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Assuming your automatic has the factory torque converter and you're running the factory tires, I would suggest that you pump up your front tires to 40-45 psi, drop your rear tires down to 20-25 psi. Heat up your back tires with a healthy burnout in the burnout box (with the brakes on to start, then let off to roll out of the water while still spinning the tires). Pull up to stage, but shallow stage (barely getting the second amber staging light to come on). Keep your foot on the brakes and hold about 1800-2000 rpm's to load the converter. On the last amber light, release the brakes and mash the gas to the floor. Don't lift off the gas until you're about 60' past the finish line. Check your timeslip and thank me later.
Thanks Brian, this is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you in advance . I may not get to run her until September.
Old 6/5/12, 07:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We were both on DOT drag radials, so our track is okay with us backing into the water. This track is Pacific Raceways (formerly known as Seattle International Raceways). At least they have us drive around the water box before backing up to burnout. Our other local track (Bremerton Raceway) makes everyone drive through the water before backing up, which IMO carries water up to the starting line from the front tires. Amazing how each track does things differently.
Are you serious that the other track makes everybody drive through the water? lol...agreed...it is so funny how every track is different. Yeah my track will only let non-DOT slicks in the water. But this track isn't the friendliest either unfortunately. I wish we had more tracks closer so I had better options.
Old 6/5/12, 07:33 PM
Cobra R Member

Don't go through the water box on street tires. just spin the rear tires quick to clean them. The more runs you make the better reaction time you get and taht will help your times and you will soon figure out the best way to launch.
Old 6/5/12, 10:53 PM
Cobra Member

I just power braked to about 1000rpm and took off

the traction control..ran 12.77 bone stock..
Old 6/6/12, 04:03 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by skunk21
The more runs you make the better reaction time you get and taht will help your times
How will lower reaction times improve your drag strip times?
Old 6/6/12, 04:42 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by kn7671
How will lower reaction times improve your drag strip times?
working on getting a better 60ft and reaction time is all good unless sitting at the light all day is fine. reacting to the lights quickly and getting a good launch a factor.
Old 6/6/12, 12:24 PM

A better reaction time doesn't lower your ET's. Reaction time is simply a measure of the time from when the green light comes on and you start moving. The actual timer for ET's doesn't start until you start moving. So, you could have a ten minute reaction time and still post a 12 second ET if you just stare at the green light for a long time before taking off.

Working on the launch - and subsequently lowering your 60' time - is a major factor in your ET, though. A good rule of thumb is that for every two tenths of a second you improve your 60' time, your 1/4 mile time should improve by three tenths.

Automatics like a good hit (flash) to launch harder, hence why you don't want to rev as high as you can against the brakes while waiting to launch. Keep the rpm's down around 2K max against the brake and simply leave a little sooner than you normally would (between the 2nd and 3rd amber, for example, instead of waiting for the 3rd amber) to give the transmission a little extra time to flash and hit harder on the launch to propel you out of the hole quicker.
Old 6/6/12, 01:04 PM
GTR Member

Easy. Using my left foot, I mash the brake to floor. Then, with my right foot, push the gas pedal. Wait until the tach reads 4,000. Release brake.
On a stock torque converter???

I don't think so.
Old 6/6/12, 03:05 PM
Cobra R Member

A better reaction time doesn't lower your ET's. Reaction time is simply a measure of the time from when the green light comes on and you start moving. The actual timer for ET's doesn't start until you start moving. So, you could have a ten minute reaction time and still post a 12 second ET if you just stare at the green light for a long time before taking off.

Working on the launch - and subsequently lowering your 60' time - is a major factor in your ET, though. A good rule of thumb is that for every two tenths of a second you improve your 60' time, your 1/4 mile time should improve by three tenths.

Automatics like a good hit (flash) to launch harder, hence why you don't want to rev as high as you can against the brakes while waiting to launch. Keep the rpm's down around 2K max against the brake and simply leave a little sooner than you normally would (between the 2nd and 3rd amber, for example, instead of waiting for the 3rd amber) to give the transmission a little extra time to flash and hit harder on the launch to propel you out of the hole quicker.
True it doesn't lower your e.t. and I messed up in my statement and meant work on your 60ft ( which is the advice I give all the time so go figure ) . If you are just running for times then yeah fine but if you are running in a bracket or just want to line up then your reaction time will matter.