Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Diagnosed Transmission Whine Without Disassembling

Old 8/17/11, 04:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah that's crazy because my car was built on 7/19 so it would have the old bearing.

I called at lunch (noon) and all I got was "the service lines are busy", I called back at 2:30 and was told the transmission was "just being lowered down out now". (Kinda BS since the car was supposed to be started Tuesday since I took it in Monday morning and the bearing was there Tuesday at noon)

I called back at 5 and was told the trans was on the way back in, and that it should be done tomorrow morning. I asked what parts were bad/replaced and the guy I talked to didn't know, but said he would find out. The lady I had been working with was off today so hopefully she is there tomorrow, she seemed to be more on top of things.

More updates to come.

BTW I did take a video of my car making the whining noise but my iPhone did an amazing job of NOT picking it up. I also took a video of the shifter handle's excessive vibration in 4th gear. I am hoping that vibration was a symptom of the bad bearing as well.
Old 8/18/11, 10:52 AM
Mach 1 Member

Called at lunch today and was informed that the transmission is still not reassembled.

She said the guy who told me the trans was on the way back in yesterday was mistaken.

She also said that the bearing installation requires a "special tool", and they didn't want to try and rig something or do it wrong (probably not a bad thing). The bearing is most of the way in but not all the way, they sent a driver to get the tool and then they can complete the assembly and put it back in the car. She is "hopefull for late today".

That one bearing is all that was bad.

Back to waiting...
Old 8/18/11, 12:18 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Its worth the wait to have it done right.
Old 8/18/11, 01:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by blackgt87
Called at lunch today and was informed that the transmission is still not reassembled.

She said the guy who told me the trans was on the way back in yesterday was mistaken.

She also said that the bearing installation requires a "special tool", and they didn't want to try and rig something or do it wrong (probably not a bad thing). The bearing is most of the way in but not all the way, they sent a driver to get the tool and then they can complete the assembly and put it back in the car. She is "hopefull for late today".

That one bearing is all that was bad.

Back to waiting...
I see that you have a shifter and suspension mods...guess they didn't say anything about it?
Old 8/19/11, 06:13 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by magnido45
I see that you have a shifter and suspension mods...guess they didn't say anything about it?
The car made the noise since the 4th day I had it, when I took it in the first time for them to hear it there were ZERO mods of any kind.

My internet was out at home so I couldn't give the crappy update from yesterday afternoon.

They had someone drive over 2 hours each way to get the tool, and it was the wrong one. So they had to order it from Ford and have it shipped next day air. Hopefully it shows up early enough today for him to get the bearing in and get the car back together. I was told the same thing I have been hearing since Monday...."should be tomorrow"

Again...back to waiting
Old 8/19/11, 08:13 AM

I never get my hopes up when taking my car to the dealer as far as when they say it'll be done. Because it's NEVER done when they say it'll be done.
Old 8/19/11, 08:52 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by FWP!
I never get my hopes up when taking my car to the dealer as far as when they say it'll be done. Because it's NEVER done when they say it'll be done.
Yeah I was really thinking 2 or 3 days max for this. Shame on me lol.

I just called and the tool came in this morning, and he is working on it now. I think by lunch I'll have a good idea if it'll be done today.
Old 8/19/11, 08:59 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
They had someone drive over 2 hours each way to get the tool, and it was the wrong one.
What a tool...
Old 8/19/11, 09:18 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
What a tool...

For real! I was like "you had a guy drive 4 hours and you didn't even make sure it was the tool you needed?"
Old 8/20/11, 05:17 AM
Mach 1 Member

Supposedly he worked on the trans from 10:30am yesterday and still wasn't finished at 4:45 PM when I called. Could it really take that long to replace one bearing in an MT82?

Anyway she said that he was "putting the rear cover back on the trans now", I should have asked for clarification but I think she meant that was the last or one of the last pieces to go on.

Once again I was promised the car would be done tomorrow (Saturday).

As usual, back to waiting...
Old 8/20/11, 06:21 AM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Just be patient man. I'm sure it's probably one of the first ones that he has built. Those things are still fairly new and maybe he built one in a ford training class or something. Nobody has built a large number of those yet. It took me two days to build my T56 and have built at least 6 other ones before that. They are all primarily the same concept but all have their own differences on teardown/rebuild and require different tools. Be patient and dont rush them.
Old 8/20/11, 06:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by AlsCobra
Just be patient man. I'm sure it's probably one of the first ones that he has built. Those things are still fairly new and maybe he built one in a ford training class or something. Nobody has built a large number of those yet. It took me two days to build my T56 and have built at least 6 other ones before that. They are all primarily the same concept but all have their own differences on teardown/rebuild and require different tools. Be patient and dont rush them.
You bring up a good point, and I have been told several times that nobody there (at this dealer) has worked on one of these transmissions before. Which makes me a little nervous that it will be done right, and is no doubt adding to the time.

I was told to be patient when I ordered my car, which I wasn't, but people at least had a point. (you want one today buy one off a lot, you wanna order one then you can wait)

3 day old car with 380 miles on it and it starts making noises, I have to convince them to even work on it, and its at the dealer for a week because they wasted 3 days working on other people's cars and not having the right tools ready? No I don't think thats grounds for patience. Any special tools required should have been ordered when the parts were ordered, not 4 days later.
Old 8/20/11, 06:58 AM

Nah man. You gotta understand how dealerships work. Special tools are sent to the dealers whether you order them or not. Ford wasn't planning on building them yet so all dealers may have not received the tools yet. Don't be too nervous about the tech. Although he may have never built that model, I'm sure he knows what he is looking at. They are all essentially the same inside. Just put together a little different. I've never built one but I'm sure I can. I was bit in the A$$ on my first T56 build and had to tear it down right after my test drive. It happens. But that's how the techs learn. I'm sure you must have a rental so don't sweat it.
Old 8/20/11, 07:11 AM
Mach 1 Member

Nah man. You gotta understand how dealerships work. Special tools are sent to the dealers whether you order them or not. Ford wasn't planning on building them yet so all dealers may have not received the tools yet. Don't be too nervous about the tech. Although he may have never built that model, I'm sure he knows what he is looking at. They are all essentially the same inside. Just put together a little different. I've never built one but I'm sure I can. I was bit in the A$$ on my first T56 build and had to tear it down right after my test drive. It happens. But that's how the techs learn. I'm sure you must have a rental so don't sweat it.
I can assure you they ordered this tool AFTER they realized the bearing was impossible to install without it. (and also after they wasted a half a day sending a driver to get the wrong tool) And whether or not Ford plans to send the tool(s) to all dealers or not is irrelevant, someone should have read through the work instructions and seen what all was needed. Heck even if you buy a cheap chinese end table from walmart for 20 bucks the instructions tell you what all tools you will need (and usually come with some of them!!!).

I also agree while it may be new/different, its still a transmission. Made up of shafts, bearings, gears, etc. and it's a different design but someone who has rebuilt other transmissions and has instructions (which I'd hope Ford provides) could figure this one out.

Oh and a rental would have been nice, but no I was not provided one. Thanks for assuming I was though.
Old 8/20/11, 07:44 AM

I can assure you they ordered this tool AFTER they realized the bearing was impossible to install without it. (and also after they wasted a half a day sending a driver to get the wrong tool) And whether or not Ford plans to send the tool(s) to all dealers or not is irrelevant, someone should have read through the work instructions and seen what all was needed. Heck even if you buy a cheap chinese end table from walmart for 20 bucks the instructions tell you what all tools you will need (and usually come with some of them!!!).

I also agree while it may be new/different, its still a transmission. Made up of shafts, bearings, gears, etc. and it's a different design but someone who has rebuilt other transmissions and has instructions (which I'd hope Ford provides) could figure this one out.

Oh and a rental would have been nice, but no I was not provided one. Thanks for assuming I was though.
Is it a warranty claim? I would have made them give me a rental. Paying for a car you can't drive. Down for more than one day should qualify for a rental. That's BS.
Old 8/20/11, 07:51 AM
Mach 1 Member

Is it a warranty claim? I would have made them give me a rental. Paying for a car you can't drive. Down for more than one day should qualify for a rental. That's BS.
Yes it's a warranty claim, it starting whining after 3 freaking days! And thanks for joining my side lol!!!! Paying for a car I can't drive IS BS.

This dealer doesn't give rentals to anyone, they have a "shuttle" that will drop you off at home and pick you up when your car is done. That system kinda falls short when your car is in for a week.

Now I found out last night that the owner of the dealership's 18 year old son has been working on my car. He was telling a friend of mine how he prepped the car for the trans to come out. He is not a Ford tech, not in any way qualified to be performing warranty (or any) work. I can't wait till this lady returns my phone call.
Old 8/20/11, 08:08 AM

Damm man. I just read through fords warranty policy and yep, they do not cover rentals, lost wages, inconvenience. That sucks big ones. When I was with GM, everyone was getting rentals. People would wait till Friday to bring their car in so they could have a rental for the weekend to go out of town.

Is the kid building your trans? Or just helping pull it? Some of those shops have helpers that work with the techs. Either way, don't give them too much hell, you never know when you will need them again. Always try and keep a good relationship with your service department. If you are an a--hole on a regular basis, you are gonna catch hell with them every time you show up. Trust me on that. Just try and be cool.
Old 8/20/11, 08:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

Damm man. I just read through fords warranty policy and yep, they do not cover rentals, lost wages, inconvenience. That sucks big ones. When I was with GM, everyone was getting rentals. People would wait till Friday to bring their car in so they could have a rental for the weekend to go out of town.

Is the kid building your trans? Or just helping pull it? Some of those shops have helpers that work with the techs. Either way, don't give them too much hell, you never know when you will need them again. Always try and keep a good relationship with your service department. If you are an a--hole on a regular basis, you are gonna catch hell with them every time you show up. Trust me on that. Just try and be cool.
No he just pulled the exhaust and drive shaft off and stuff, and that I'm not really mad about. I wouldn't really be happy if he was putting things together, or at the very least had a tech watching him.

I didn't mean to make it sound like I was gonna freak on the lady, which is also why I have sounded displeased but not like a total jerk on the phone. This dealer is pretty cool, and if I have any other problems I will still take my car there. They will turn un-cool pretty fast if I'm always acting like an (explative).
Old 8/20/11, 08:26 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Has Deysha, Ford Customer Service, got involved? She probably can help you on this.

As for your rental, or lack of, that is total BS. I'm dropping my car off Monday for warranty work, I made sure I'm getting a car. This is the 3rd time, all for little non-related things, but I've got one each time.

I hope it gets resolved for you. There's nothing like having a new car and then bringing back to the dealer for days on end. I feel your pain and I'll be in that same situation Monday morning.
Old 8/20/11, 08:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Hytek
Has Deysha, Ford Customer Service, got involved? She probably can help you on this.

As for your rental, or lack of, that is total BS. I'm dropping my car off Monday for warranty work, I made sure I'm getting a car. This is the 3rd time, all for little non-related things, but I've got one each time.

I hope it gets resolved for you. There's nothing like having a new car and then bringing back to the dealer for days on end. I feel your pain and I'll be in that same situation Monday morning.
I did notify Deysha and asked if there was anything else I should be doing, this was when the dealer put the initial call into the hotline.

She said she escalated it and that a customer service person would call me the next day. I never heard from anyone.

The next day was the day that the dealer called me and said Ford authorized the work, so maybe thats what she meant.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Diagnosed Transmission Whine Without Disassembling