Corsa Extremes - installed and rev'd

Search this Thread

Old 3/27/14, 07:51 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Talking Corsa Extremes - installed and rev'd

UPDATES below, post #3 and #156, 8/8/14

=======================================

For those of you aware of my exhaust situation as of late, let's just say it has a very happy ending. (Pardon the crappy pics, but I was too excited and that much of in a hurry to worry about using my Nikon… so these are just iPhone pics)

I took off work early today because I had something waiting for me at home. I quickly ran to the front door and was greeted with this:

INITIAL UNBOXING AND INSPECTION

Acting like my 5 year old son, I quickly opened the box to inspect the product. I was concerned that with my luck lately, I would open the box to find a missing part or a mismatched piece. Thankfully, all was in great order. Actually, excellent order. I thought the Borla S Types (at the time) looked good, but these Corsas were a sight to behold. Especially those laser etched slash cut tips. Just beautiful. Aesthetics alone, the Corsas were a 9 out of 10. Borlas dropped to 7.

WELDS

Now came the moment of truth. I wanted to inspect the welds. Closely. All 4 of my recent Borla S Types had welds that, to be honest, didn't look that good, despite being new. I had a buddy even tell me, the welds "looked like they were done by a 3rd grader". Ouch. But what's sad is, after seeing Corsas, I believe him. The Corsas look much cleaner, more uniform, with no "globs" of weld just sitting at the ends. The color was also more uniform, and not borderline black. It's almost as if the Borlas were at an excessive temp. Again, I'm no welding expert, but to the layman's eyes, the Corsas looked a LOT better than Borlas. I'd rate the Corsas a 8.5 out of 10. The Invidia's I had before, I'd give a 9.5/10. The Borlas, truly, now that I know what I know, and experienced what I experienced, I'd give a 3/10.

INSTALLATION

To be honest, this was my biggest fear. I literally went through THREE new Borla S Types, sent straight to me from Borla, in hopes of finding a pair that actually lined up straight/even as far as the distance the tips stuck out past the rear valence. I started to doubt myself as far as how I installed it. Being a Mechanical Engineer in my earlier life, attaching an exhaust via 2 hangars and a clamp can't all be that hard, can it? LOL. What if I installed these Corsas and they still were off by 0.5 - 1.0"??? What then? Was there never anything REALLY wrong with those Borlas? I cringed as I bolted on the last clamp.

The verdict? PERFECTION. Literally. 1st time bolting it on, the tips lined up with each other perfectly. As God is my witness, I kid you guys not. Perfect. I'm like wow. Are you kidding me??? I have 3 different Borla exhausts, new, sitting inside my house, which I installed, and NONE of them lined up well? And these Corsas fit even, right away? I didn't even have to try to pull or push the mufflers at all. We aligned them left to right and up and down, then tightened her up. Took all but a few minutes.

I started thinking… wow…. all this time, it really WAS Borla's issue this time. I mean come on folks… was it THAT hard to ask for a $700 exhaust that actually lines up right? Come on man…. that's ridiculous. My buddy and I just looked at the Borlas and shook our heads. I loved my Borlas sound. But seriously, something's going on in their Tennessee plant. I'm not sure. I won't guess what's going on. All I know is, I hope they correct their issues, and fast. If my aerospace aviation company manufactured products like this, we wouldn't last but a short time in the business.

Here's the Corsas installed, all lined up. I have to admit, they sit a lot more flush/tucked into the valence than the Borlas did. It gives Marilyn a more subdued look, if you will. A more "mature" look. (wait till you hear them sing)
Pics are left to right tips. I'd give the Corsas a 10 for fit and the Borlas a 1 for fit. I'm sorry, but 3 new exhausts with none of them lining up? …..

SOUND

Ahh… the final moment of truth. Was ALL this trouble with the Borlas worth it? Would these Corsas satisfy my craving for what I think my mustang should sound like? Should I just have bit the bullet, taken the Borlas to an exhaust shop and just paid them to align them, just so I could hear that Borla S Type sound?

I started her up, cold start.

Listened.

The initial rev up to 1500 rpm started out the same as my Borlas in terms of volume, but after a minute, the sound settled at a lower rpm, and shockingly was NOT AS LOUD as my Borlas! Uh oh. How could this be??? The Corsa sound at idle is more like a refined version of the Borlas. A more mature version. A grown up version. As I stated in my other thread, it was more a smoooooooooth sound, hinting at something more underneath that burble.

After warming up a bit, it was time to make her sing.

This is where all hell breaks loose.

After revving it up to 4k/5k rpms, it was like an angry banshee just exited my garage. It was LOUD. I mean, LOUD. Louder than my Borla S Types for sure. By a lot. Holy smokes. My buddy and I were quiet for about 15 seconds of revving, then we said, "Holy $heeeeeeeeeeeeeet. Wow. That was AWESOME". Now I know what the Corsa Tech guy said today, when he told me, it sounded like a European V12 during cruise, but jab the throttle, and look out. The tone was just incredible. It just sounded so mean…. so alive…. so manic… For you engineers out there, the best way to describe it is, imagine 2 sine waves overlapping each other, the larger amplitude (y axis) sine wave reaching a higher/lower point than the other sine wave. Corsa = orange sine wave. Borla = blue sine wave.

That's the best way I can describe it. The low/quieter tones of the Corsa are lower than the Borlas, but the hi/louder tones of the Corsa are much higher than the Borlas. A larger range of volume, if you will. If you think about it, this is the PERFECT set up for the street, because you can have it QUIET when you want it (i.e. start up early morning, cruising, idling, etc), and MANIC when you want it… when you're on the gas and feeling wild . Another metaphor would be Jekyll and Hyde.

The tones are TOTALLY different. And I must say, I much prefer the Corsas. The iPhone videos I have below in no way, TRULY represent what my ears heard this afternoon. In person, they will blow your hat off. They sound oh so good. Corsa wins this as well. I'd give the Corsas a 10/10, the Borlas are now a 8/10.

Here's the startup…

Here's the SHRIEK.

So there you have it. My chronicle of the exhaust debacle I've had the last week or two. Thank you to all that have provided input and feedback, I appreciate it. But it's been a stressful 2 weeks. The fact that I'm OCD doesn't help, but now I know Marilyn is perfect, for now

I will leave 2 or 3 posts as reserved on here, so I can post feedback and followup videos for when I actually get to drive her on the roads. It rained today, so roads were icky. Waiting for it to clear up this weekend. I'll try to take more pics and videos by then, and upload them here.

Thanks all.

edit: I forgot, now I have to change my sig info hehehehe

Edit #2: Another point for you guys that you might find interesting. Remember how for the borlas I had to drill weep holes? Well guess what. For corsa, they were already THERE! On the bottom side of the muffler canisters. That's how it should be. Why don't all exhaust come pre drilled with weep holes???

Last edited by FromZto5; 8/8/14 at 09:33 AM.
I Have No Life

3/29... Weather is in the 50s today and sunny. After lunch I'll finally be able to take her out for a decent drive and pics. Meanwhile, I uploaded another vid... A simple one, just a close up of idle. I just think it's so cool how each exhaust has its own distinct tone. It's all in the design acoustics.

===================

Ok, went for a short cruise and stopping for sushi, so figured I'd post this short update.

My oh my. I love these babies. They really are the "grownup" version of the borlas. Cruising around town is noticeably quieter than the borlas. But the minute you step on it, even at 4k rpms they just roar to life. It's a Jekyll Hyde thing for sure. I turned so many heads in 20 minutes lol. I even got the attention of a couple pickup trucks and a ricer sentra that somehow sped up just be behind me. Hilarious.

I also took her on the highway, and this is where they truly shine and distance themselves from borla, IMO. Why? Cruising at 60mph is much much much much quieter than the borlas. Absolutely no drone at all. Corsa R&D holds true to their promise. It's just amazing. I didn't realize how different the borlas were. The borlas were mostly loud all the time, essentially. So cruising with the wifey to dinner somewhere will be so much better. But again, punch the throttle and the banshee comes out. I don't know how corsa does it, but wow, it sounds so good.

Remember that double sine wave analysis I talked about in my first post? That really sums it up. It's so much more versatile than the borlas. You can tailor it to how and when and what you feel like when you drive. The borla s is just on volume 8/10 all the time. Corsas can adjust from volume 3 to volume 10

I made a short video of the cursing at 60 to show how quiet it is. Then after lunch, I'll try to take some more vids when I actually get on it, from inside the car. Then I'm off to take some photos somewhere...brought my tripod and Nikon

Some pics I took today… and some vids… Those tips are to die for.

Gentle acceleration

"Lively" Acceleration

Last edited by FromZto5; 3/29/14 at 03:50 PM.
I Have No Life

4/1/14

So after driving the car to work today, my peers and other car buddies we all went out to the lot to talk cars for a bit, so of course, they wanted to see the new exhaust and have me do a full demo. I did the usual start up, rev, and they could observe it fully from aesthetic standpoint all they want. All of them agreed that it was much quieter than borlas during idle, but louder than the borlas if you tapped the gas to 4.5k rpm. We all found that interesting. They, and I, were all pretty giddy about the sound though. We were reduced to high school kids oogling at their first vehicle when 16....a rusty station wagon.

Last edited by FromZto5; 4/2/14 at 04:14 AM.
Old 3/27/14, 07:52 PM
I Have No Life

8/8/14

Ok folks... been a while since I updated this thread. There's been a lot of talk lately about exhausts, so I haven't really made any "decent" exhaust vids since I first had these puppies installed.

2000 miles later, they have been fantastic. I can honestly say, I much prefer them over my Borlas (remember that fiasco? geeeesh lol). And yes, the welds and fitment and everything else are perfect. I get complimented almost daily or whenever I drive my car, by folks in other cars, at work, or even at a stop light. I have even gotten rev'd up by other folks in their cars, only for me to look over and see them give a thumbs up, or give me a request to rev my engine yet again. lol... Lookswise, they are also a head turner, esp at shows. Apparently, not many folks with mustangs with Corsas. Borlas, dime a dozen. Corsas, rare. Slashcut laser etched tips are phenomenal.

Here's a few vids to showcase the exhaust...I really love how versatile they are. Can be driven "lowkey" with a low rumble, to a banshee at WOT.

Enjoy.

Cold Start, garage...

Pseudo-rev, garage

Short drive by...

In car vid, acceleration

Dyno Run (yes, this is the useless dyno event I had that didn't give me any usable numbers...another long story on another thread. But at least she SOUNDED good!!! LOL )

Last edited by FromZto5; 8/8/14 at 09:31 AM.
Old 3/27/14, 08:16 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very nice, glad you are pleased with your new exhaust!
Old 3/27/14, 08:18 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
I love the Corsa tips, so much better than the Borlas. I had a custom exhaust done on my old V6 and had the tips angled to match the bumper. At the time, no company was selling SN95 exhausts with the tips angled and I had never seen anyone else do it in my area. I think they look so much better and sound pretty dang good man!
Old 3/27/14, 08:46 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds pretty bad***. It's gonna be ridiculously loud if you ever get long tubes, lol.
Old 3/27/14, 08:55 PM
Banned

can you post something revving over like 2500? lol. I like the sound actually. first good sounding clip of Corsa I've heard. I think the x-pipe works with your setup nicely.
Old 3/27/14, 09:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Oh Crap that's loud! I love the way the tips follow the body lines and don't stick out as much as my Borlas. Quality looks top notch too. I think if I ran those I would have to add a set of resonators though.
Old 3/27/14, 09:19 PM
V6 Member

How are you blowing out that much water? That is a lot of moisture coming out of the new exhaust.
Old 3/27/14, 09:29 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by Azrael
Very nice, glad you are pleased with your new exhaust!
Thanks sir! Yes I love it.

Originally Posted by laserred38
I love the Corsa tips, so much better than the Borlas. I had a custom exhaust done on my old V6 and had the tips angled to match the bumper. At the time, no company was selling SN95 exhausts with the tips angled and I had never seen anyone else do it in my area. I think they look so much better and sound pretty dang good man!
Thanks Patrick! Yeah I'm really impressed with the shape and angle of those tips. The borlas just stuck straight out.

Originally Posted by Ajcruz1
Sounds pretty bad***. It's gonna be ridiculously loud if you ever get long tubes, lol.
Lol... Thanks AJ. Yeah no long tubes for me. At least not in the near foreseeable future.

Originally Posted by TheDivaDanielle
can you post something revving over like 2500? lol. I like the sound actually. first good sounding clip of Corsa I've heard. I think the x-pipe works with your setup nicely.
Thanks Danielle. Did you see the 2nd vid? Those were up to 4 or 5k . I have to agree with you though, the x pipe really smoothens things out.

Originally Posted by 88lx50
Oh Crap that's loud! I love the way the tips follow the body lines and don't stick out as much as my Borlas. Quality looks top notch too. I think if I ran those I would have to add a set of resonators though.
Yes they definitely don't stick out... It looks more professional and designed that way . As for resonators, nah... The OTA pipes I have are resonator less

Originally Posted by RacerX27
How are you blowing out that much water? That is a lot of moisture coming out of the new exhaust.
Not sure... It was a cold start. I haven't driven it all week. The first was literally after starting a cold week long sitting car, and tapping the gas for 40 seconds.
Old 3/27/14, 09:32 PM
I Have No Life

Another point for you guys that you might find interesting. Remember how for the borlas I had to drill weep holes? Well guess what. For corsa, they were already THERE! On the bottom side of the muffler canisters. That's how it should be. Why don't all exhaust come pre drilled with weep holes???
Old 3/27/14, 09:38 PM
MJJ
Bullitt Member

Burton

They sound great. Glad it worked out for you.

Sean
Old 3/27/14, 09:44 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by MJJ
Burton They sound great. Glad it worked out for you. Sean
Sean, thanks buddy. Can't wait to have you see and hear in person. I want to compare them to your borla s types on your 12 Shelby vert. Can we do a rev off??? Lol.

Hey I'll see you in 2 weeks at on 4/12 at Karls right??? What time does it start again?

Ps yeah I don't know about those borlas Sean. I hope folks who buy recent ones don't see the fitment and weld issues I had. Each of the 3 new borlas I had were all made literally in the last 2 weeks. Their time stamp was on them.
Old 3/27/14, 10:05 PM
MJJ
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5
Sean, thanks buddy. Can't wait to have you see and hear in person. I want to compare them to your borla s types on your 12 Shelby vert. Can we do a rev off??? Lol.

Hey I'll see you in 2 weeks at on 4/12 at Karls right??? What time does it start again?

Ps yeah I don't know about those borlas Sean. I hope folks who buy recent ones don't see the fitment and weld issues I had. Each of the 3 new borlas I had were all made literally in the last 2 weeks. Their time stamp was on them.
They have a different tone for sure. Biggest difference is that you are running an X pipe and I have an H pipe on both of my cars. X will be more exotic, H deeper rumble.

The Corsa extremes sound closer to my Atak's that are on the terminator. If you put Atak's on a X pipe on your car it would sound similar IMO.

I have said before and will say again Corsa has the nicest tips period.

Corsa is the dominant aftermarket exhaust for the Z06 which says something as well.

++++++++++

The Karl's show runs from 7:00 AM to approx 10:30 as I recall. I hope the weather is decent.
Old 3/27/14, 10:11 PM
GT Member

Nice! I just installed the black tips corsa on my boss 302 this week. It really makes the Lopey idle with trackey super pronounced. Idles really mean, screams when on it, but cruises like stock. I've turned heads all week with them...
Old 3/27/14, 10:22 PM
GT Member

Here's a photo. Crappy but you get the idea.
Attached Thumbnails Corsa Extremes - installed and rev'd-image-723994918.jpg  
Old 3/28/14, 04:20 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by MJJ
They have a different tone for sure. Biggest difference is that you are running an X pipe and I have an H pipe on both of my cars. X will be more exotic, H deeper rumble. The Corsa extremes sound closer to my Atak's that are on the terminator. If you put Atak's on a X pipe on your car it would sound similar IMO. I have said before and will say again Corsa has the nicest tips period. Corsa is the dominant aftermarket exhaust for the Z06 which says something as well. ++++++++++ The Karl's show runs from 7:00 AM to approx 10:30 as I recall. I hope the weather is decent.
Sean I think you're right buddy. That's actually a really good way of explaining the difference. Do both your Shelby and termy have an H? I guess my corsas on an h would essentially just be the stock h...and I've heard those all across YouTube.

But the sound is pure exotic, esp at throttle. I think the borlas are "old school" and the corsas are "new school". Lol. How's that?

Tips-wise, no doubt, corsas win hands down. They are just beautiful IMO. The way they're engraved, and the way they follow that bumper contour, and they are rolled and slashed....mmmmm.

7 am at Karl's???? Holy moly. That means I'd have to leave here by like 5am. (Ok ok 530 I should still make it there by 7...hahaha) Perhaps I'll come the night before and stay with my bro in law.

For those of you in Iowa or nearby, Karl's performance, 4/12, first monthly cars and coffee. Be there!!!

Originally Posted by Johnny5alive
Nice! I just installed the black tips corsa on my boss 302 this week. It really makes the Lopey idle with trackey super pronounced. Idles really mean, screams when on it, but cruises like stock. I've turned heads all week with them...
Originally Posted by Johnny5alive
Here's a photo. Crappy but you get the idea.
So beautiful!!! I was debating those black SS tips, but decided against it. On yours, it works really well due to some subtle black cues from your lip spoiler and trunk face. Got any vids? So I take it you're very happy with your extremes?
Old 3/28/14, 08:26 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
My corsas didn't line up too well, but I've been meaning to get back there and adjust them to see if I can fix it.
Old 3/28/14, 09:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 144 Likes on 109 Posts
Congrats man. Looks great, and loud . Have you had a chance to drive around much, wondering if there is any drone?

Edit: In the Corsa line are the Extremes louder than the Sports or the other way?

Last edited by Rog13GTCS; 3/28/14 at 09:58 AM.

Quick Reply: Corsa Extremes - installed and rev'd