Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Check this out - Ford shutting off your engine!

Search this Thread

Old 12/30/10, 09:50 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Check this out - Ford shutting off your engine!

I don't know when this will apply to Mustangs, but it's interesting. I doubt it will be something that can't be worked around in a calibration. Imagine a car launching off idle at the track and being shut off waiting for the tree to go green? Crazy!

http://www.mustangevolution.com/201012286015/

Ford just announced that they are going to be adding an engine shut-off option to every single vehicle produced which is referred to as start-stop technology. When the vehicle comes to a complete stop, the engine will automatically shut off and as the driver applies pressure to the accelerator, it automatically restarts again.

Ford says that this will reduce gas by 4% and almost 10% for city vehicles that have frequent stop-go traffic.

Ford will most likely be setting the bar for automakers when it comes to gas efficiency for the future. Stricter laws for gas-economy are well on the way for 2016 which may require this become standard on all vehicles. It is another way to save gas just like the hybrid and electric cars.

Some vehicles are already using the smart-stop technology. The Ford Fusion hybrid and Ford Escape hybrids utilize it, as well as Ford cars sold in Europe.

“For the driver, Ford Auto Start-Stop provides extra fuel efficiency without inconvenience, as it works completely automatically,” said Barb Samardzich, Ford vice president of powertrain engineering. “And, just like in our hybrid vehicles, the heater and air conditioner work as normal so drivers will not sacrifice comfort.”
Old 12/30/10, 10:00 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Time to buy stock in companies that build starters. lol
Old 12/30/10, 10:01 AM
Cobra Member

the new benz uses it...pretty cool IMO
Old 12/30/10, 10:21 AM
Cobra R Member

It's a great idea.
Old 12/30/10, 10:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
^ sure until something breaks.
Old 12/30/10, 10:32 AM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
so if the AC is run like a standard AC when the motor doesn't run the AC wont work. What do they do? Run the AC compressor off a seperate electric motor?

I for one would hate this with a passion and would do everything in my power to bypass it perminantly. It will probably be like traction control..on by default so it's a hastle to turn it off every time you start the car.

I'm sure some wiring Guru will have a work around..at least till it's on perminantly, or till it becomes a federal offense to shut it down.

Last edited by burningman; 12/30/10 at 10:38 AM.
Old 12/30/10, 10:32 AM

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Stupidest thing ever. I like sitting at the light listening to the rumble of my exhaust.
Old 12/30/10, 10:41 AM
Cobra Member

Perhaps it's something that can be be over-ridden with a custom tune, like the shift-skip in the manual transmission. I wouldn't mind it, but for people who are drag racing I'm sure they'd want to get rid of it.
Old 12/30/10, 10:44 AM
Mach 1 Member

They have had this on cars in Europe for years now. The reason it hasn't caught on here is it doesn't factory in the DOT gas mileage standards which are tested with the car running a set course on a dyno which doesn't include any lengthy stops. If they change the test you'll see it on everything in short order. I think the OP said you have to remove your foot from the gas peddle holding the brake with your right foot for the engine to shut down. If you left foot brake the engine will probably stay on.
Old 12/30/10, 10:48 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by SynisterGT
^ sure until something breaks.
The same could be said about fuel injection or ABS brakes. If it saves gas ($$$$) I'm all for it

This isn't new technology. If certain conditions aren't met then the vehicle will keep the engine running. For example, with the current Ford hybrids if you have A/C set to max, the engine does not shut off when you come to a stop. It also won't shut off the engine if the battery charge is low. The government has mandated some very stringent MPG requirements. Would you rather Ford detunes the engine to squeeze out a few more MPG, or add an auto-stop-start system like this? I know which I would rather have.

Last edited by Adam; 12/30/10 at 11:07 AM.
Old 12/30/10, 11:16 AM
SD6
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Adam
It also won't shut off the engine if the battery charge is low.
That's exactly what I was wondering about when I read the OP's post = how this would affect the car's battery.
Old 12/30/10, 11:20 AM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm sure the engineers working on the Mustang will come up with a way to allow you to take off hard (like at the strip) without having to wait for the engine to start. They do realize that's what this car us used for. But at the same time, they have to start meeting stricter and stricter CAFE standards.

I think it'll be a good thing, actually, to have a car that can still burn the hides any time I want, but will also get me better gas mileage around town.

And I wouldn't even mind if they threw in cylinder deactivation on the highway for better highway mileage.

I'd much rather have the 412 (or more) hp available in the Coyote, with a few tricks to save a little gas, than have them go back to severe restrictions on the engine to save gas, like they did in the '70s.
Old 12/30/10, 03:19 PM
Bullitt Member

I highly doubt that this will ever be implemted on the V8 stang. It contradicts what the car is.

The V6 however, I would tjink that it would get this very soon.
Old 12/30/10, 03:38 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by KillerGT
That's what I thought! lol
Old 12/30/10, 03:40 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by KillerGT
my thought exactly! any idea as to what companies these are lol
Old 12/30/10, 03:50 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by jayguy
I'm sure the engineers working on the Mustang will come up with a way to allow you to take off hard (like at the strip) without having to wait for the engine to start. They do realize that's what this car us used for. But at the same time, they have to start meeting stricter and stricter CAFE standards.

I think it'll be a good thing, actually, to have a car that can still burn the hides any time I want, but will also get me better gas mileage around town.

And I wouldn't even mind if they threw in cylinder deactivation on the highway for better highway mileage.

I'd much rather have the 412 (or more) hp available in the Coyote, with a few tricks to save a little gas, than have them go back to severe restrictions on the engine to save gas, like they did in the '70s

I agree! I personally, do not want to see a rerun of what happened in the early '70s. I would much rather see what jayguy is talking about above than see a 4 cylinder Mustang III with automatic 2 cylinder deactivation after 20 MPH.
If we don't watch it, well......all I can say is..... this S&%* happened before, so don't think it's impossible.

[/end my 2 cents]
Old 12/30/10, 03:51 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by burningman
or till it becomes a federal offense to shut it down.
Nobody is stopping us from taking cats off our car, so who cares what the government implements? It's not like they know what is and is not good for the people
Old 12/30/10, 04:05 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by 908ssp
They have had this on cars in Europe for years now. The reason it hasn't caught on here is it doesn't factory in the DOT gas mileage standards which are tested with the car running a set course on a dyno which doesn't include any lengthy stops. If they change the test you'll see it on everything in short order. I think the OP said you have to remove your foot from the gas peddle holding the brake with your right foot for the engine to shut down. If you left foot brake the engine will probably stay on.
Does the technology exist for a brake pedal to determine which foot you are using?
Old 12/30/10, 04:16 PM
Cobra Member

if im understanding this right..... this is the technology Ford us planning on using?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLpvnNVrEm8
Old 12/30/10, 04:37 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Red Jay
if im understanding this right..... this is the technology Ford us planning on using?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLpvnNVrEm8
Yes, and they're already using it in their hybrids. As is Toyota and Honda. Ford wants to start putting it in more than just hybrids.

Last edited by Adam; 12/30/10 at 04:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Check this out - Ford shutting off your engine!