Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Catch Can testing - part 2 setup

Search this Thread

Old 9/1/14, 04:35 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
Catch Can testing - part 2 setup

So I collected a couple data points so far at the track with the JLT setup first in series with the RX can.

To summarize, the JLT caught about 10mL during a track day at Thompson Motorsports Park while the RX caught about 20mL. This was during 130 track miles over ~2.5 hours.

Then over 2 days at Watkins Glen where I put on about 230 miles at the track over 3.5 hours, the JLT caught basically zero oil (~1mL) and the RX caught about 10mL.

I have re-done the routing so that the RX is first in series with the JLT now and will be headed to Thompson three times over the next month. Results will be posted in a separate thread.

Following those three outings, I'll be switching the JLT with a Moroso catch can (finally) and I'll run that 1st in series with the RX can at my last track outing of 2014 which will be at Limerock Park.

Summarized results in nice spreadsheet format will follow my last track day for 2014.

I will complete the testing of the Moroso vs RX in early 2015 when the track season in the Northeast resumes.

Old 9/7/14, 04:19 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds good. Will be interesting to see how this phase goes. I've only got a little over 500 miles on my second phase.

Wayne
Old 9/8/14, 07:26 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
No offense guys.... everyone knows the JLT product does a horrible job. You guys are doing this to see how well the RX can holds up in comparison to other products, right? that was the whole point to this if I recall correctly. I personally would like to see this study be done with the best products out there. line up the RX can against the best. Bob's can.

You guys already proved that bobs catch can did not pass any oil into the RX can in one of your tests. Given that it costs half of what the RX can costs and is equally effective (or better), that itself is enough data to show everyone why they should buy the bobs can.

The one thing that I have seen is that bobs can was first and RX can was second and nothing passed through to the RX can. What I'm waiting to see if the RX can go first and see if anything passes through to the bobs can.
Old 9/8/14, 07:12 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I'm also running a test against Moroso. I understand your point - it sounds like the bob's does quite a good job.

I ran 130 track miles today with the RX in line first with the JLT - going to check to see what (if anything) bypassed the RX later this week.
Old 9/9/14, 03:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm right at 700 miles into my test with the RX can first. I also just want to clarify again that the RX can that I'm testing and what most people run is $199 vs the $115 that I paid for the base Bob's can setup so the RX can is not twice the price. The more expensive RX can is their monster can which is much larger than the RX can that dmichaels and myself are running.

That being said, on my test on my particular car, the Bob's can is working extremely well. Other cars might give different results since these engines in different cars all are different in how much oil they use. I think the more oil the engine uses, the more of a chance you will have of more oil going through the PVC system and more oil ending up in a catch can. When my car was newer, it collected a lot more oil in the can than it does now. It seems that my engine has broken in nicely since it hardly uses any oil at all.

Wayne
Old 9/9/14, 07:14 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

got 125 track miles yesterday at Thompson, going to get some more this Thursday it looks. I'll check the cans this weekend and report. At that point, I'll switch out the JLT for the Moroso can and have that in for at least my last 2 outings for this season.

My engine seems to burn basically zero oil. I broke it in at the track
Old 10/15/14, 05:12 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wonder if the RX setup can be mounted like the Peterson/Boss setup for better aesthetics and still perform like your testing is showing???