2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Catch can results - part 2

Old 9/12/14, 05:51 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
Catch can results - part 2

I've pretty much wrapped up the testing I was doing on the JLT (old style) vs RX can.

I ran 5 track days with a bit of street driving intermixed.
3 days at Thompson Speedway Motorsports Park
- 1 day with JLT in line first
- 2 days with RX in line first

2 days at Watkins Glen
- Both days with JLT in line first

Thompson seems to result in MUCH more oil coming through the separator, as shown in the results. It's a lot of hard on the gas, hard on the brake with minimal shifting and basically the whole track is done in 3rd gear.

Watkins Glen is a much faster track overall with more time at WOT, mainly in 4th gear

At the first outing at Thompson with the JLT first in line, it caught part of the oil, and the RX caught just about everything with only trace amounts getting past the can

And below are the numbers from my testing. I'll be keeping only the RX going forward, as the JLT caught less oil.

Lastly, I was amazed at how much oil was caught in only 2 days at Thompson (plus about 200 street miles with almost no revs over 3500) this past week over 2 outings. About 124 mL is what I measured coming out of the RX can. That's over 4 ounces...

Name:  Results.jpg
Views: 1125
Size:  16.9 KB

Last edited by dmichaels; 10/14/14 at 06:56 PM.
Old 9/12/14, 06:05 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
Is this using the new JLT design? Modders and speed shops I've been to swear by the new JLT design. I've seen them pull the blowers off and the bottom is bone dry. Just saying.
Old 9/12/14, 06:22 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by kcoTiger
Is this using the new JLT design? Modders and speed shops I've been to swear by the new JLT design. I've seen them pull the blowers off and the bottom is bone dry. Just saying.
My JLT is about 3 years old, so I'm assuming that is the "old" design.
Old 9/12/14, 08:31 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by dmichaels
My JLT is about 3 years old, so I'm assuming that is the "old" design.
It is. The new one came out last winter.
Old 9/13/14, 12:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice results. I can't wait to see how my RX test turns out. I'm over 800 miles in. Should be done next week.

Wayne
Old 9/13/14, 02:10 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by 70monte
Nice results. I can't wait to see how my RX test turns out. I'm over 800 miles in. Should be done next week.

Wayne
Interested to see your final results as well.

I need to get the Moroso can hooked up soon to do a round of testing with that too.
Old 9/13/14, 06:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by dmichaels
Interested to see your final results as well.

I need to get the Moroso can hooked up soon to do a round of testing with that too.
I will be interested in seeing how the Moroso does as I've heard mixed results on it's performance. Can you take some pictures of the inside construction of the Moroso can as I have always been interested in how it was constructed.

Wayne
Old 9/13/14, 07:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I will be interested in seeing how the Moroso does as I've heard mixed results on it's performance. Can you take some pictures of the inside construction of the Moroso can as I have always been interested in how it was constructed. Wayne
I just happen to have a few pics of the Moroso construction, it's the same large body model that dmichaels will be testing.

(I'm currently running the Moroso small body model and it has identical construction.)
Attached Thumbnails Catch can results - part 2-m1-copy.jpg   Catch can results - part 2-m2.jpg   Catch can results - part 2-m3.jpg   Catch can results - part 2-m4.jpg   Catch can results - part 2-m5.jpg  

Last edited by silverstate777; 9/13/14 at 07:35 PM.
Old 9/14/14, 04:18 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by silverstate777
I just happen to have a few pics of the Moroso construction, it's the same large body model that dmichaels will be testing.

(I'm currently running the Moroso small body model and it has identical construction.)
Thanks for the pictures and just what I was looking for. How is the performance of yours? That is some of the most neatly packed mesh I have seen out of all of the catch cans that I have personally seen. Seems a lot finer material too.

Wayne
Old 9/14/14, 07:17 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the pictures and just what I was looking for. How is the performance of yours? That is some of the most neatly packed mesh I have seen out of all of the catch cans that I have personally seen. Seems a lot finer material too. Wayne
Glad the pics helped. So far, I would say that the Moroso performance has been satisfactory. The large body model (5.0 ounce capacity) was my first mod after taking new car delivery and it captured nearly 1/2 of an ounce in my first 1,000 miles of naturally aspirated break-in street driving. Then I went forced induction and switched over to a small body model (3.0 ounce capacity) and it has captured 1.5 ounces in 3,000 miles of normal street driving this past summer. My Roush blower came with secondary fitting/hose designed to remove any oil that can collect in the intake manifold and routes it back to the separator for another pass. I've also been using Motorcraft 5W-20 semi synthetic oil since new and this is my current setup:
Attached Thumbnails Catch can results - part 2-new-black1-copy.jpg  
Attached Images  

Last edited by silverstate777; 9/14/14 at 07:33 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 9/14/14, 08:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
I use a Moroso, put on the car with 100 miles on it I have 5,000 mi. now.
Works awesome and I auto/cross my car once a month since new.
I highly recommend the Moroso, I really like that it mounts and doesn't just hang like some of them, some race techs will not allow the hanging oil/catch cans!
Attached Thumbnails Catch can results - part 2-image.jpg  
Old 9/14/14, 08:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

I have always thought the Moroso was a nice looking piece but had heard that it still let quite a bit of oil through to the intake. I've never seen one in person or know anyone who runs one so I don't know if that is true.

Wayne
Old 9/14/14, 09:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
I have always thought the Moroso was a nice looking piece but had heard that it still let quite a bit of oil through to the intake. I've never seen one in person or know anyone who runs one so I don't know if that is true.
Wayne
Mine works great!
Old 9/15/14, 06:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by ElkGroveFordGuy
Mine works great!
Have you checked the line that attaches at the intake manifold to see if it is wet with oil or not and how wet is it if it is wet?

How much oil the can catches is only part of the equation. My older style UPR can used to catch a lot of oil but my line at the intake manifold was soaked with oil so it seemed like a lot was getting past the can.

My fiancée still runs this type of UPR can on her 07GT and last time I checked it, it was soaked with oil so we are going to have to come up with another solution for her car. She doesn't care as much as I do and she doesn't want to spend any more money on catch cans.

Wayne
Old 9/16/14, 05:17 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
Everyone wants to think their catch can is the best one. I now know my JLT (old one) doesn't work very well. I'm going to go with a Bob's in a few months
Old 9/17/14, 01:57 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's disappointing to hear this about the JLT cans. When I bought my car new in 2011 they were talked of like something you really should have to protect your car. Mine were installed before I left the dealership & now it appears they weren't near as effective as they were made out to be. I hate to spend money to replace something that I've already purchased, especially when it isn't worn out, just faulty/inferior.
Old 10/14/14, 07:13 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Appears the other thread was closed. In attempt to bring some response and clarification to everything, I'll make one more post here, which was in my final thread with results.

1. The first post does identify the JLT "old style" was tested. I was not "manning up" to "admit" anything in the other thread. I've tried to be clear and unbiased through my testing. Note there were MANY posts questioning the other setup as well, so I disagree that the intent is to put down the JLT product. The old style unit I had under performed in comparison to RX can. I was not running labratory testing, I was running different products in real world track driving conditions that are not fully controlled. In my opinion, these type of results are most representative of what other drivers in a track environment would experience. It is a smaller sample size largely because I have limited ability to get out to track days (money and time...). I consistently saw the JLT can I tested (again, OLD style) under performed in comparison to the RX can

2. Regarding setups, part 2 (RX in line first to JLT) is here: PART 2 SETUP

Part 1 setup pictures are below. I don't believe I have any zoomed in photos of the JLT can in the 1st setup, but I installed the same direction as in the part 2 setup, with the "J" closest to the "inlet" side and the "T" closest to the outlet side.

3. Regarding my brief "it was hooked up correctly" statement - this was a very brief response with my phone, which I intended to expand upon later. Which is exactly what I did. As we're all aware, forums are open and not every post is going to be a detailed description or counterpoint.

4. I am in no way affiliated with any product at this point in time, and am primarily interested in finding the best products to put on my car. In my own testing, the RX can performed very well and offers large capacity in the event I don't have an opportunity to drain off oil regularly. I also have a Moroso catch can that is in my garage waiting for installation to run a 2nd round of testing, provided the generous owner does not require it back in the short term (and by short term I mean not till like next June, as my track season ends next week and I won't be able to get back out until April). I like running independent testing, although I cannot promise to have 100% identical test conditions due to the environments I run the car in.

Feel free to PM me with any questions/comments that you don't want to post for all to see. I have absolutely nothing against JLT and I'm sure the reworked product took into consideration the underperforming previous design and positively modified from that point to offer consumers better a better product. There are still a lot of the old style JLT cans out there, and for folks with those installed, this testing is very much applicable.

Old 10/14/14, 08:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'm still sticking to my point of view that the videos that Tucker has shown us in the closed thread only proves that his can catches oil. He didn't address any of my points about how much oil might be getting past his new style can or didn't seem to want to entertain the thought about pulling the intake to show us if this was taking place. He pretty much ignored that question.

I'm also not sure why he wouldn't send dmichaels a new can to try out if he fully believes it will outperform the RX can or even the Moroso can that he has.

I have followed dmichaels' testing from the beginning and I didn't see anything biased about it.

Wayne
Old 10/15/14, 03:48 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Thanks Wayne. That was my intent of course - unbiased testing. I completely agree the old style JLT can caught oil. It just didn't get it all in my testing.
Old 10/15/14, 05:09 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Since my older style JLT cost me as much as the "newer" style JLT and they were tauted as the engine savior of all products, can I get my money back on this JUNK?????

Last edited by UltraKla$$ic; 10/15/14 at 05:21 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Catch can results - part 2