2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

cat bolt removal? Exhaust project 2014 gt

Search this Thread

Old 2/1/16, 08:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cat bolt removal? Exhaust project 2014 gt

Hello all. I am installing catless exhaust from factory header back with lethal performance offroad H and corsa sport quad tips. Anybody have a preferred method for the right side upper bolt from cat pipe to factory header? Before I start cutting up wrenchs !!!

So far changing to gt500 valence to allow quad tips is easy ( I have a CS) but make sure you remove the reflectors before pushing on new valence. Lethal has top quality parts and left side going together perfectly and the corsa tips look awesome and cant wait to hear them.

Other mods are Airaid CAI, BBK 85mm throttle body, and Bama tune as soon as I get the darn cat bolt out and exhaust finished.

Last edited by 70elimcougar; 2/1/16 at 08:51 AM. Reason: car year
Old 2/1/16, 01:21 PM
V6 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 70elimcougar
Hello all. I am installing catless exhaust from factory header back with lethal performance offroad H and corsa sport quad tips. Anybody have a preferred method for the right side upper bolt from cat pipe to factory header? Before I start cutting up wrenchs !!!

So far changing to gt500 valence to allow quad tips is easy ( I have a CS) but make sure you remove the reflectors before pushing on new valence. Lethal has top quality parts and left side going together perfectly and the corsa tips look awesome and cant wait to hear them.

Other mods are Airaid CAI, BBK 85mm throttle body, and Bama tune as soon as I get the darn cat bolt out and exhaust finished.
You need a 24 inch extension to go from the top. I used 1/2 inch drive but it was a really tigh fit, would suggest a 3/8 inch. Also do not remember if we used a universal joint or not.

Get it drenched in liquid wrench and let it sit a while.
Old 2/1/16, 03:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
I bought a 15mm socket that was inbetween a short and deep well with 2 extensions = 36" and no universal was needed. It helped having me under the car holding on the socket while the person up top hits it with the impact.
Old 2/1/16, 03:59 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Seeing threads like this are what pushes me to just have my buddy at a shop do this. I know I could do it, but all the torn up knuckles, the swearing, and the possibility of BREAKING a bolt keep me fearful. I'll just pay him my "buddy rate" and I can rest easy that I know it will get done right. I'm getting the full exhaust/cats/H pipe, etc. installed/switched out this spring.

I hope you get your bolt out though... let me know if there's any other secrets or tricks I can tell my buddy to do when getting that bolt out.
Old 2/1/16, 04:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by FromZto5
Seeing threads like this are what pushes me to just have my buddy at a shop do this. I know I could do it, but all the torn up knuckles, the swearing, and the possibility of BREAKING a bolt keep me fearful. I'll just pay him my "buddy rate" and I can rest easy that I know it will get done right. I'm getting the full exhaust/cats/H pipe, etc. installed/switched out this spring.

I hope you get your bolt out though... let me know if there's any other secrets or tricks I can tell my buddy to do when getting that bolt out.
Well if your a religious person ask for forgiveness before you start because the F bombs will flow. Lol
Old 2/2/16, 10:21 AM

Thanks guys. sometimes you have to walk away then it comes to you. I have a lift in my garage so didn't even think about going through the top. 900 miles no salt or rain so the bolts all came off effortlessly. Adopting your ideas I used a socket, universal and
a 9in extension and it came out behind the header and could get it from standing underneath. So far no blood has been spilled and going back together should ( the should word OHOH) be easy.
Old 2/2/16, 10:39 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Good deal!
Old 2/2/16, 11:58 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by 70elimcougar
Thanks guys. sometimes you have to walk away then it comes to you. I have a lift in my garage so didn't even think about going through the top. 900 miles no salt or rain so the bolts all came off effortlessly. Adopting your ideas I used a socket, universal and
a 9in extension and it came out behind the header and could get it from standing underneath. So far no blood has been spilled and going back together should ( the should word OHOH) be easy.
It's not a car project until you skin a knuckle and bleed a little bit. Get to it!
Old 2/4/16, 01:21 AM

Thanks guys. sometimes you have to walk away then it comes to you. I have a lift in my garage so didn't even think about going through the top.
In your future Mustang modification endeavors, you should lookup videos on youtube (there's several covering this exact thing for our exact cars) - they've literally saved me hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars and probably a similar amount of agonizing hours.
Old 2/4/16, 07:00 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by FromZto5

A garage-kept, winter-stored, 10k mile car like yours probably doesn't have a single seized fastener. Just spray all the bolts and nuts with PB Blaster 20 minutes before starting, you'll be fine.
Old 2/4/16, 09:00 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
^ yep you're probably right. But yeah, I have all the tools, impacts, space, etc... to do it all on my own. But I think for this one, at least this first one, I'll have my buddy do it and I can probably watch/help as needed. Then I'll know for the next one. It will be (cheap) money well spent for this go around.
Old 2/4/16, 09:02 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
Yeah, if you can get it done cheap enough, no sense in doing it yourself, wasting a whole weekend lying on your back getting dirt on your face and eyes lol

I remember putting headers on my 91 camaro, it was a nightmare haha
Old 2/4/16, 07:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
Working on my cars is how I relax!
I KNOW IM A SICK PERSON!
and knowing is half the battle!