2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Car Photography

Search this Thread

Old 10/24/14, 06:25 AM
GT Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks for all of the responses! I have a Nikon with some basic lenses to get started. I've taken a few good pics from visiting Colorado Springs but that's really all I've had the chance to do so far. Could take pictures of my car anytime I suppose but wanted to get a few pointers first. I think I'm definitely going to look into lightroom since people seem to like it and its relatively affordable. Don't want to drop a lot of money on photo editing software when I'm just starting to pick it up.
Old 10/24/14, 06:26 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 107 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38
That looks good.

Last edited by GrnT; 10/24/14 at 06:28 AM.
Old 10/24/14, 07:07 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by mkj5013
Thanks for all of the responses! I have a Nikon with some basic lenses to get started. I've taken a few good pics from visiting Colorado Springs but that's really all I've had the chance to do so far. Could take pictures of my car anytime I suppose but wanted to get a few pointers first. I think I'm definitely going to look into lightroom since people seem to like it and its relatively affordable. Don't want to drop a lot of money on photo editing software when I'm just starting to pick it up.
When it comes to taking pics of cars, you need to do things that are out of your comfort zone and not how you'd "normally" take pics. As mentioned above, you can't do much for composition with editing software. Get down on your knees and take street level angles. Your eyes and your camera lens are not the same, so if you're taking pics at eye level, what you see and what your view finder see, are not what your camera lens is going to see.

A good tip for front 3/4 shots is to turn the front wheels all the way towards the opposite direction that you're facing the car. It makes it look lower and more aggressive, while also showing off your wheels.

But again, try different angles. Go up to a rooftop somewhere and take over head shots. Get down on the ground and take squirrel level shots. Get a macro lens and do some detail shots. As also mentioned, just take TONs of shots. Digital memory can be erased and SD cards are cheap as hell. While that's made for some sloppier work, it gives you the flexibility of doing a lot more trial and error until you get better. Back in the day with film, you had to know what you were doing, or be rich lol. Now anyone with $500 can take awesome shots, and take as many as their heart desires.

That's my $0.02, FWIW. I don't have a nice camera yet, as I don't feel the need to take a ton of nice pics of a almost stock car. I'll mod some more, then get a nice camera. My dad was a photographer in the Navy, and he has probably a half dozen camera bodies, and probably a dozen lenses, not including his collection of point and shoots, his iPhone, and various tripods, monopods and other accessories! Hell I can probably pick one up off him for cheap, but I want to do more appearance mods to my car first!

Originally Posted by GrnT
That looks good.
Thanks
Old 10/24/14, 05:00 PM
Cobra Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38
Really nice!