Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

CAI Options?

Search this Thread

Old 2/6/16, 04:46 PM
GT Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CAI Options?

I've been doing some research since my warranty will be up this spring and I want to do a CAI/tune. From what I've read, most V6 intakes don't actually have a larger intake tube and require no re-tune since the air flow won't change as much. Airaid intakes were where I started, and of course, a tune can be added to improve the performance. As I kept reading, the Steeda CAI seems to be the only CAI that requires a computer retune. Is the power output from the Steeda/Tune going to be that much more noticeable over one of the Airaid/Tune combos? It's $100 more and I don't like the aesthetics of it as much as the Airaids. I just want to know if its worth it for the gains or not.

Thanks for your help!
Old 2/6/16, 06:52 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Hello,

We have made our CAI to yield the best results wit the Steeda tune. We have designed, engineered & manufactured our CAI to be a precise fit & look great under the hood ... the aesthetics are for functionality!

You can read about our CAIs here - http://www.steeda.com/blog/2012/03/m...-intake-truth/

With our CAI & tune ... we have seen gains of up to 24hp and 30ft/lbs of torque & Chris Johnson, with SCT had this to say - "SCT has seen the highest horsepower and torque results while using Steeda's Cold Air Kit, over any other brand." - Chris Johnson, President of SCT Performance

See more at: http://www.steeda.com/steeda-v6-must....No6Xc3d6.dpuf

Send me an email to tim@steeda.com & I will do what I can to get you a little closer to the other price.

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 2/6/16, 07:05 PM
GT Member

I appreciate the response TJ! I apologize for seemingly calling out the Steeda, I just want to make an informed purchase. I'm totally able to get over the aesthetics of it to get the gains if its worth it! I'll send you an e-mail sometime soon. I probably won't make the purchase for a few more months since the warranty isn't up until early May. Thanks for your help and I'll be in touch soon!
Old 2/6/16, 07:12 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I completely understand & you won't be disappointed - we have a long track record of success in the industry & that doesn't happen by accident.

Happy to help whenever you are ready to take the next step.

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 2/6/16, 07:13 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Also, what part of Ohio are you in? We have some dealer support in the Michigan area.

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 2/6/16, 07:14 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
CAIs, by themselves, don't really offer a whole lot. You can get a very few more ponies, maybe a little bit of torque, and possibly a small percentage improvement in MPG (as long as you don't change your driving habits because "zOMG CAI IS AWESUM!!" or such.)

They do offer a different, more throaty sound than the stock airbox system, and some are surely really pretty lookin' to boot, but really... Pick the one you like best if it's your only 'performance' option.

If you plan on other items such as cams or exhaust, perhaps a new plenum... you should research and then pick a 'package' and get the CAI that'll work well with that now, and then add the other stuff later when you're ready to go with it.

And THAT being said... Steeda is good stuff, all the way 'round. You can't go wrong with them.

Last edited by houtex; 2/6/16 at 07:16 PM.
Old 2/8/16, 06:41 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 773 Likes on 565 Posts
I recently went from a tune and cai to just a tune and stock intake. I like it just as much or that is to say I couldn't really tell that much of a difference.
Old 2/8/16, 02:28 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by houtex

They do offer a different, more throaty sound than the stock airbox system, and some are surely really pretty lookin' to boot, but really... Pick the one you like best if it's your only 'performance' option.
Agreed on the sound. I've got the Steeda CAI and tune. Besides the improvement in responsiveness, the sound at 3/4 to full-throttle is intoxicating.
Old 2/8/16, 05:04 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Appreciate the feedback --- the Steeda unit is definitely a great choice!

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 2/9/16, 12:00 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by houtex
CAIs, by themselves, don't really offer a whole lot. You can get a very few more ponies, maybe a little bit of torque, and possibly a small percentage improvement in MPG (as long as you don't change your driving habits because "zOMG CAI IS AWESUM!!" or such.)
^This.

The stock airbox is **** good on these cars.
The CAI is just way too much money, IMO for providing such small results over a tune alone.
Old 2/9/16, 01:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mkj5013
I've been doing some research since my warranty will be up this spring and I want to do a CAI/tune. From what I've read, most V6 intakes don't actually have a larger intake tube and require no re-tune since the air flow won't change as much. Airaid intakes were where I started, and of course, a tune can be added to improve the performance. As I kept reading, the Steeda CAI seems to be the only CAI that requires a computer retune. Is the power output from the Steeda/Tune going to be that much more noticeable over one of the Airaid/Tune combos? It's $100 more and I don't like the aesthetics of it as much as the Airaids. I just want to know if its worth it for the gains or not.

Thanks for your help!
No mod is worth the money, unless it's free. I think the CAI/Tune is a good mod but the tune will do more for me down the road, as well. I want to get gears later and I may change the size of my rims/tires. The tuner will adjust for these mods. Do I think spending 700 dollars is worth it for the CAI/Tune, No but if your going to mod your car you have to start somewhere. I know guys on here who have spent more then 10,000 dollars on mods for there V6's. It's all in what you want to do. Steeda is good but I went with what I thought looks good and performs well. It's all personal preference!!!
Old 2/9/16, 03:26 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by MRGTX
^This.

The stock airbox is **** good on these cars.
The CAI is just way too much money, IMO for providing such small results over a tune alone.
Mike... I agree with you on stock airbox comment, for the V8's. I'm not that versed on the V6's though. Since the OP has a V6, are the V6 stock airboxes as well designed? I'm curious.
Old 2/29/16, 12:47 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket intakes are pretty much the same when it comes to functionality and don't expect that they will provide huge hp gain.
Old 3/1/16, 09:16 AM
Bullitt Member

Just better sounding and looks plus few more hp.
Originally Posted by wlarryf
Aftermarket intakes are pretty much the same when it comes to functionality and don't expect that they will provide huge hp gain.
Old 3/1/16, 09:39 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by FromZto5
Mike... I agree with you on stock airbox comment, for the V8's. I'm not that versed on the V6's though. Since the OP has a V6, are the V6 stock airboxes as well designed? I'm curious.
Yes, they are almost identical in terms of design and performance. Obviously not interchangeable, but they do the same job about as well as they can.

A lot of folks don't realize that the differences between the GT and V6 are largely with the motor and to a small degree suspension. They are very similar vehicles outside of that.
Old 3/9/16, 01:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by FromZto5
The stock airbox on the V6 is really well designed. Switching it out for a CAI kit isn't going to do anything for the performance of the car. It might change the sound a bit and that's it.
Old 3/9/16, 01:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Joeywhat
Yes, they are almost identical in terms of design and performance. Obviously not interchangeable, but they do the same job about as well as they can.

A lot of folks don't realize that the differences between the GT and V6 are largely with the motor and to a small degree suspension. They are very similar vehicles outside of that.
Actually they use the exact same air filter.

Listed under the 2014 5.0 GT
MOTORCRAFT FA1897 {#AR3Z9601B}

Listed under the 2014 3.7 V6
MOTORCRAFT FA1897 {#AR3Z9601B}

Last edited by 3point7; 3/9/16 at 01:54 AM.
Old 3/9/16, 11:24 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,494 Likes on 1,019 Posts
Originally Posted by mkj5013
. . . . From what I've read, most V6 intakes don't actually have a larger intake tube and require no re-tune since the air flow won't change as much. . . . the Steeda CAI seems to be the only CAI that requires a computer retune. . . .
Just FYI, the tune is NOT required because the new CAI flows more air. It is required ONLY because the tube is bigger. Because the tube is bigger, more air is coming in than the computer thinks is coming in, so the car will run lean, unless it is "recallibrated" aka "tuned."

For my money, the most important thing in an aftermarket CAI, is that it must use the duct opening from the grill area, same as the factory CAI. If it draws air from the engine compartment instead of that duct, it is a Hot Air Intake, not cold. I'm pretty sure the Steeda intake does use that duct; and Steeda quality is usually top notch so I think it would be a good choice among aftermarket CAI's.

Last edited by Bert; 3/9/16 at 07:03 PM.
Old 3/9/16, 11:59 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
The Steeda unit on the GT does use the factory duct opening. I had a Steeda CAI before going the forced induction route.
Old 3/15/16, 11:32 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by SpectreH
The Steeda unit on the GT does use the factory duct opening. I had a Steeda CAI before going the forced induction route.
David, I think most do the same, when it comes to NA CAI options. I don't think there is a CAI for a Coyote NA setup that does NOT use the stock duct opening.