Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Brembo Brakes

Old 5/8/12, 06:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Brembo Brakes

Hello all. Im wondering how many of you have driven a GT with and without the Brembo package. Im really on the fence on this and would like to get it, but dont want to lose ride quality cause of it. On the Ford website when you select it, one of the features it says is "aggresive suspension tuning." Just wondering if this package makes the ride stiffer. Thanks for any advice.
Old 5/8/12, 06:40 PM
Cobra Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have. I own brembo package and have tried a GT without it, stiffer means braking response is quicker, has not much to do with suspension I don't think. Brembo package gives u upgrades to front calipers only..
Old 5/8/12, 07:27 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
The Brembo Pkg includes bigger sway bars & stiffer suspension, not just bigger front brakes and the 19x9 wheels. I own an '11 Brembo GT and it rides stiffer than any of the many '11+ GT's I've driven that have the standard suspension. Handling is awesome during high speed cornering in the Brembo GT's, but daily driving is a little rough over bumps.
Old 5/8/12, 08:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Partswiz
Hello all. Im wondering how many of you have driven a GT with and without the Brembo package. Im really on the fence on this and would like to get it, but dont want to lose ride quality cause of it. On the Ford website when you select it, one of the features it says is "aggresive suspension tuning." Just wondering if this package makes the ride stiffer. Thanks for any advice.
On my 13 vert I did not do it..and I'm glad I didn't. I use it as a DD , and it's more drive able and normal....if you only use it on weekends, and joy rides, then upgrade to it.
Old 5/8/12, 10:42 PM
Bullitt Member

I was all set to buy the Brembo package until I drove one. You feel the road under you and every little bump in the road. I drove the one I bought with the optional 19" wheels and front tower strut brace, and a regular GT back to back and the strut brace really does make a difference in handling with out the harshness of the stiffer suspension. It was the best set up for what I need, comfort, power and decent handling. Hope this helps!
Old 5/9/12, 11:43 AM
Mach 1 Member

It's a combination of the whole Brembo package that provides a harsher ride, but that harsher ride is really a variable that each individual will have to decide based on how/where they use the car.

For example, I drive about 85-90% of my miles on the highway, so a stiffer tuned suspension wouldn't negatively effect me much expect for the little city driving I do. But if you are a middle-aged guy that does a lot a city commuting, and if the city commuting is on less than optimal road surfaces, crappy back roads, and pothole filled asphalt rutted roads, a standard GT would be better suited.

Another way to look at this is that you buy the GT you want, then add Brembo brakes and wheels later if you still want them.

Last edited by kn7671; 5/9/12 at 11:45 AM.
Old 5/9/12, 06:12 PM

I was originally going to get a Brembo after being terribly disappointed with the standard brakes. Ended up going with a non Brembo Roush and after driving the car for about a month now and one autocross event, I can say I am now saving up for the Brakes. Really depends on what you plan to do with the car...DD or DD/Autocross car? The standard brakes/suspension feel super uneasy over 100 mph as well.

Last edited by Pepperinyoureye; 5/9/12 at 06:13 PM.
Old 5/9/12, 06:58 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Every thing you need to know about option 55D
http://brembo50.com/Default.aspx?pageId=1130035
Old 5/9/12, 08:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

What about getting the Brembo option and swap for standard GT suspension if you don't like the ride? Standard GT suspension takeoff parts should be easy and cheap to get.
Old 5/9/12, 08:41 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by newpony
What about getting the Brembo option and swap for standard GT suspension if you don't like the ride? Standard GT suspension takeoff parts should be easy and cheap to get.
Or get a standard gt, some aftermarket wheels, and one of the many big brake kits based on the factory brembo brakes.
Old 5/9/12, 08:59 PM
Bullitt Member

If you still up in the air about the ride quality Brembo vs. Stock it all boils down to your individual taste.

I chose the Brembo Package because it offered the bigger brakes (that were sorely lacking in my Fox body cars) that work (I think better than my previous BMW) very well in short stop situations. You never know when someone is going to pull out in front of you or stop dead in the middle of the road, and quickly pulling down 400HP is not an easy job.

I also found information on the Brembo50 site that convinced me there was enough of a difference to lean my purchase in that direction. Although my use of the car, and comfort levels could be real different. I'm used to a lowered car with high spring rates and adjustable damping -- this car feels like a Cadillac compared to what I've driven the past.

I did have a chance to make a run through one of our popular mountain passes and it performed better than any Ford (modded or no) I've owned in the past. Never out of shape, accurate and loads of torque... parts of the road were not really smooth but I was never uncomfortable and neither was the car.

if you need less road feel and don't tax the speed limit often; maybe the standard GT would be more in line with what you would be happy with. If you like to push the envelope a bit, get the Brembo Package - you get few chance to make a *good stop* - put the odds in your favor.

I did and I love the car
Old 5/9/12, 10:16 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
I drove both. Standard first, and I thought it was already decent. Folks on here and my other buddies said not to even think about it, and order the Brembo. So that's what I did. Now that I've had the car for a while, the brembo not only looks better, but rides firmer and handles better, which is exactly what I wanted
Old 5/9/12, 10:48 PM
Bullitt Member

I put 2000 cobra R brembo's on my '97 shortly after they hit the market. After about 140K driving a car with brembo brakes I refused to consider a car without them. This meant a GT500. I was going to spring for it once the dealerships stopped charging premiums but by the time they did that I could get a GT the way I wanted it.

The '12 with the brembo package is certainly stiffer than standard. Clearly noticeable. It feels like what my '97 does after all my suspension and brake mods. Of course the resulting performance and ride is much better. I didn't want to have to piece together the system on my own and the brembo package did that for me. Is there some annoyance on some roads at some speeds... sure. (nothing but quality chicago / NE Illinois pavement where the sine wave can be seen and often felt) But the trade off is fine by me. The brembo's in the '97 paid for themselves quickly in confidence and braking ability with the sort of drivers I have to deal with around here. These will too.

Also like others said, if it is just the braking you want, they could be swapped in, except it will probably cost more than ordering the car with them once the wheels are included. It's probably cheaper to order the brembo package and then buy someone's stock take offs to soften the suspension.

Last edited by 97GT12; 5/9/12 at 10:53 PM.
Old 5/10/12, 07:06 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I ordered with the Track package. If I hadn't at the LEAST I would have ordered the Brembo Brake pkg.
Old 5/11/12, 11:41 PM
GT Member

Is it possible to get brembos on a CS? Building it online you can either have the CS package or track pack/brembo pack.
Old 5/11/12, 11:50 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
GT/CS's cannot be had with the Brembo or Track Pkgs - sorry!
Old 5/12/12, 12:07 AM
GT Member

Oh now that's no fun -.-
Old 5/12/12, 12:34 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I have the BBP and while the ride is stiff, it is also controlled. I don't think it rides bad at all. The roads around here are fairly smooth though. My previous car was an 06 GT and this car rides much better IMO. The old car was loose and wandered over even the smallest of bumps, I hated it. This car feels much more secured over bumps if that makes any sense. I would definitely get the BBP again if I had to do it all over.