2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Brakes - Rotor/pad suggestions

Old 8/27/15, 05:58 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Brakes - Rotor/pad suggestions

Recently swapped my front rotors/caliper brackets to the GT rotors. I installed the used rotors and my old pads which inevitably ended poorly...rotors are pretty badly scored and and a little warped. Long story short I need new rotors and pads.

I'm having a bit of trouble finding exactly what I need, and am looking for suggestions. I'd like blank rotors with painted hats (and preferably the outer diameter as well), but will go with slotted if I have to. Seems most everything I find that's painted/coated is drilled. Do NOT want drilled. Anyone know of some options like that? I also want decent quality, seems some I've found are pretty low grade parts.

Also, as far as pads are concerned, what is everyone liking for "performance street" use? I know Hawk HPS is popular but I'm open to other options, and have heard that the HPS can be noisy. I can deal with dust, but not noise.
Old 8/27/15, 08:04 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Just paint the new rotors. It's not difficult, hardest part is taping off the swept surfaces of the rotor. I did that when I got new ones.

Now, for the new rotors and brake pads, I went totally Autozone. (Yeah, yeah, I know...)

But seriously. I'm really happy with the parts. The rotors after all the miles and use aren't warped or causing shimmy of any kind. The brake pads are lasting a nice long time. And they stop the car on the dimes I want the car stopped on. They're also quiet as a church mouse. Can't be more pleased with my daily driven, twisty hill country road use with these brakes, and that's even with the 18x9.5 2010 GT500 Convertible wheels and 275/45-18 tires on 'em, which aren't not-heavy.

I did go with the Duralast Max with the hardware and goop. I also got extra goop.

At least, I want to say I did... I remember there being three choices and I went with their bestests... And I swear it was Autozone, 'cause OEM braking, right? But it could be the Wagner Thermoquiets with the hardware from O'Reilly... I'm fuzzy on that now, dangit.

It's been since... um... Well, about last year or so and a few thousands of miles, and no issues whatsoever, whichever. If I can pin it down to which ones... But I painted over the pads when I painted the calipers and rotors because the print on them was unattractive, and I've slept since then...

I dunno if I helped or not, now.. They're both ceramic, they both have the pads on the back of the.. uh, pads.. to get them quieter...

Now I'm sorta thinkin' I maybe shouldn't have posted...

For sure the Autozone rotors, though, and for sure just paint them, I think it'll be fine...?

I deserve that...

Last edited by houtex; 8/27/15 at 08:08 PM.
Old 8/27/15, 08:12 PM
Cobra R Member

Not going to paint them, it's an enormous PITA. Already painted the calipers (and the hats on the "new" rotors currently on the vehicle) and it took too much time and doesn't look as nice as the coated rotors from say Stoptech.

Which, seems to be about the only reasonably priced option for what I'm looking for. DBA has some nice options but they are rather expensive.
Old 8/30/15, 06:35 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Joeywhat
Not going to paint them, it's an enormous PITA. Already painted the calipers (and the hats on the "new" rotors currently on the vehicle) and it took too much time and doesn't look as nice as the coated rotors from say Stoptech.

Which, seems to be about the only reasonably priced option for what I'm looking for. DBA has some nice options but they are rather expensive.
I have the slotted StopTech ones and they're nice - the painted hats were definitely a nice bonus to the rest of the look. I paired them with Hawk HPS (blue) pads, which I'm not happy with. They're squealing bad and Hawk's suggestion was to take them off, scuff them with 80-100 grit sandpaper, replace the springs (which they didn't bother to include with the pads like lots of brake pad companies do), regrease everything and then try again. I'm not sure I want to go through all that only to have them squeal again so I may end up just replacing with the Advance Auto platinum pads, which I've had great luck with on other cars.
Old 8/30/15, 08:16 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Based on my experience with track pads I'd recommend Carbotech. I have not used any of their street compounds, but the track compounds deliver everything they promise, and I have no reason to think their street pads wouldn't. Here is a compound description. 1521 seems like what you're after.

http://www.vorshlag.com/product_info...roducts_id=712
Old 8/30/15, 08:57 PM
Cobra R Member

I have been considering carbotech as well, I do hear a lot of good about them.
Old 8/31/15, 06:22 AM
Banned

Sounds good. In terms of rotors have you considered these?

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...ake-rotor-1114
Old 8/31/15, 06:49 AM
Cobra R Member

I might go with those. Always wondered about quality, vs stoptech (yes I know it's the same company)
Old 8/31/15, 07:57 AM
Banned

When it's time to replace my Brembo rotors I'll likely go with the 14" version of the Centric blanks. Good price @ $89. I checked with the dealership how much it is to replace the Brembo rotors (make in Italy), and he came back with $240 each
Old 8/31/15, 10:17 AM
Cobra R Member

Yeah, I'm drawn towards the slotted for whatever reason but I think I'll stick with the blank centric. Hopefully I can get everything by the weekend, brakes are getting BAD.
Old 8/31/15, 06:08 PM
Cobra R Member

I went with the stoptech slotted. Price wasn't that much more than blanks. Also got carbotech pads.
Old 8/31/15, 06:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Joeywhat
I went with the stoptech slotted. Price wasn't that much more than blanks. Also got carbotech pads.
Good deal! Let us know how you like them
Old 8/31/15, 07:16 PM
Cobra R Member

For sure. I know they'll be leaps and bounds better than what I have now... I can feel the brakes get worse every day. Rotors look like hell now. Probably should be gotten new pads when I did all that...
Old 9/6/15, 08:09 AM
Cobra R Member

Got everything installed. What a PITA, stupid front rotors were welded on, despite having just put them on a few months back, AND using anti-sieze. Anyways, pads and rotors work well. I wish the pads offered more bite, but the fade resistance is good and no noise at all. Not sure I can live with noisy pads so these will do. Also, the red pads against my black calipers looks at awesome.