2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Boss Quad Exhaust for GT

Search this Thread

Old 11/2/14, 09:44 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I bought my pipes used off a 2012 Boss 302. All I got was mid pipe and side pipes. What else would you need ?
Old 11/2/14, 09:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SMOKE46
Do we know if Boss pipes are same size as 14 GT's ? If so we could just order Mid-pipe & side pipes.
The Boss side exhaust kit is just the Boss H pipe with the side pipes and hardware. Exactly the same.
Old 11/2/14, 11:11 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Here is a visual comparison of the original and quad exhaust parts from my install. The H-pipe on the top is the original '14 GT part, and the H-pipe and side pipes below are what came from the link I posted early in this thread (they still seem to have inventory for those looking for this set-up).

As you can see, the H-pipes are virtually identical (in fact, I imagine the quad exhast H-pipe starts out as a stock set that is drilled/welded to add the outlets). There are no extra parts other than the pipes (other than 4 bolts to attach the side pipes to the baffles, which could be purchased at any hardware store if they weren't supplied).

Installation is straight forward- you're just removing and replacing the H-pipe, and the side pipes bolt into factory-supplied locations (there is a plastic shield that is removed on each side, and the pipes bolt right back into the same bolt hole that secured the plastic plate).

The quad exhaust is the best modification I've made to ANY car (and I've owned 60+). The only one that comes close is adding a T-5 transmission to a 1st generation Mustang.
Old 11/2/14, 11:29 AM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,088 Likes on 788 Posts
Originally Posted by Varilux
You can still order the part here:
http://www.buyfordracingfromdpm.com/...e-exhaust-kit/

However, I notice they have raised the price $50 since I purchased it a couple months ago from this same site (perhaps because they realize they are the only ones carrying it anymore).
I too have been thinking this is a must have mod. Best price I have found it at TASCA...

http://www.tascaparts.com/exhaust/20...ust/m-5220-mb/

also I am seriously thinking about pairing this with the QTP Electronic Cutouts. Then I am in control of when I want it open or closed...

http://www.quicktimeperformance.com/302/index.php
Old 11/2/14, 11:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

Also I am seriously thinking about pairing this with the QTP Electronic Cutouts.
Yeah, I initially thought about the QTPs as well- and still may get them in the future. For now, I've been running mine entirely open without the baffles installed. Although the exhaust is definitely louder than it was before (and always a "presence"), I have yet to encounter a situation when I would have had to close them off (I was worried they would be too loud in the parking garages at DFW, but since I don't clear 2k rpms in there, it's not bad).

There are times of extended highway driving when I'd like to listen to some jazz (which- unlike other forms of music I like- doesn't fare well when turned up loud enough to overpower the note of the exhaust at highway speeds). This would probably be the only time I would hit the QTP button.

For now, if anyone is thinking about someday wanting add this exhaust I would recommend just biting the bullet and getting them delivered. I cannot imagine anyone being disappointed with this set-up, and it seems it may not be around in the future. Glad I got mine at $699 w/ free ship!
Old 11/2/14, 12:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

I already put the boss side exhaust on my GT 2013 , just watch the clip below if you want to hear how it sound.

Every mustang owner should get this exhaust , is a must have item.
Old 11/2/14, 12:09 PM

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
This thread is not helping my wallet. Pay day is tomorrow too.
Old 11/2/14, 01:41 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Don't waste money on electric cutouts until you install side exhaust and hear it first. It's loud but not obnoxious.
Old 11/2/14, 04:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Is it too loud with the restrictors removed? Computer speakers make it impossible to tell...
Old 11/2/14, 05:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Is it too loud with the restrictors removed? Computer speakers make it impossible to tell...

It really isn't... I have a neighbor down the street who has a diesel truck, and his exhaust is louder than my Mustang. Here's a video of mine (cold start-up). Not the most exciting video, but as I pass behind the car you can hear my GT500 ABs. If you have those, then you can gauge the relative volume of sound from the side and the front.

Seriously, until you get over 3-4k they aren't all that loud. I would agree with the "don't spend money on cut-outs until you try them awhile with the restrictors removed" comment. I've not had a single situation where I felt my exhaust was too loud for polite society. Its more a change in tone (much more burblelly) than in volume.

Last edited by Varilux; 11/2/14 at 05:13 PM.
Old 11/2/14, 07:28 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

it is loud with 3.73 gears going 70 -80 MPH.
Old 11/3/14, 02:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 14Glassback
Too loud? Not really... Loved the sound wide open, it really is a pure joy. If you plan on driving highway however, you might develop a different point of view. I am running 3/4 plates, all is good now. Going to cut resonators out for my gt500ab soon, lets hear how this will sound.
Old 11/3/14, 06:54 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Thanks for the video Varilux... Yes... I have to have that!
Old 11/13/14, 10:33 PM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,088 Likes on 788 Posts
I love it loud. Mine sounds like a muscle car should. I currently have the Roush dual chamber axle backs. When I first got it my wife was embarrassed to ride in it. She thought it was way too loud. Not me, love it. Since then she is now ok with it, but says I do not need it any louder. I just thought by having the QTP's I could easily tone it back if I got complaints (mainly from her) or if on a road trip. Do not want to have to put it on a rack to monkey with the pipes.

Now that the snow is flying, sounds like a great time to update.
Old 11/13/14, 11:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by shaneyusa
I love it loud. Mine sounds like a muscle car should. I currently have the Roush dual chamber axle backs. When I first got it my wife was embarrassed to ride in it. She thought it was way too loud. Not me, love it. Since then she is now ok with it, but says I do not need it any louder. I just thought by having the QTP's I could easily tone it back if I got complaints (mainly from her) or if on a road trip. Do not want to have to put it on a rack to monkey with the pipes. Now that the snow is flying, sounds like a great time to update.
I had muffler deletes on for a few months. THAT was obnoxious lol. I loved it around town though. Sounded like a beast. On the freeway, it sucked!!! So much drone...
Old 11/16/14, 05:49 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by dmhines
Don't waste money on electric cutouts until you install side exhaust and hear it first. It's loud but not obnoxious.

POP the caps and drive! My BOSS had the plates removed the instant I brought it home, been off since, no looking back. No appreciable noise even 70+ mph on the interstate. Can't wait to get GT 500 axle backs myself to add to the fun!
Old 11/17/14, 06:32 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Hey y'all, I installed the Boss quad exhaust on my GT last night with the restrictors removed. It sounds awesome but I am getting some new smells that are pretty unusual. Seems like some of it is getting into the cabin as well. It's not bad, but it wasn't there before. I didn't see anything melting (took off the plastic shields near the fuel tank like the instructions say). It smells like it could be some sort of preservative burning off so I am not too concerned. It could also be an exhaust leak, though if it is the sound is really subtle.

Is this normal or should I be worried? How do I know if I have an exhaust leak of I can't hear it?
Old 11/17/14, 07:32 AM
GT Member

MRT sells boss h pipes. 3" piping over the 2 1/4". You get sound and horsepower. I will be swapping to MRT quad h eventually.
Old 11/17/14, 08:12 AM
Mach 1 Member

I recall getting a smell right after installing the quad exhaust for about a week. It wasn't overpowering, but it was bad enough that I did crawl under the car to ensure the exhaust wasn't up against some plastic.

It went away in about a week...
Old 11/19/14, 07:53 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ordered a set on Monday, should be here tomorrow. It appears to no longer be in production though because it isn't available at most places, including Ford Racing (and none on eBay last I checked), so get yours soon if you want it.

Quick Reply: Boss Quad Exhaust for GT