2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Boss Quad Exhaust for GT

Old 1/19/15, 09:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by PonyMuscletang13
I started out boss sides no plates + gt500ab + resonators. Awesome sound but drone? on freeway, so drilled 3/4 plates. This solved the drone part but I'd be hungry for more sound - not necessary louder - just more growling n gurgle if you know what I mean, like a lion. What the 3/4 plates did was down the volume, the 'tone' stayed IMO. So I cut out the resonators. Mostly my expectation was to get more aggressive out the back (via gt500's) at woot or at least that was my impression from fellow stanger (he didn't have the sides). Somehow though, I felt the overall sound got louder. It was a bit strange to me. As of last Sunday, once again the restrictor plates are gone wide open. Well, it's 'wider' open this time because resonators are missing. Originally, my plan was to go for the 7/8 but hmm. Question here is why the boss sides put on GT's and boss sides on actual BOSS 302 are sounding different. The side pipes on BOSS 302's have this growl like Grrrr (which I like very much) whereas on mine, it sounds more mellow Brrrr. Any ideas?
Great info. I think the reason boss 302 sounds different is because of the tune and the engine makes more power. I know when i put my steeda tune the car sounded much throatier than my frpp tune.
Old 1/19/15, 09:28 PM

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
This thread is killing me! Spring needs go hurry up and get here so I can get mine installed!
Old 1/19/15, 09:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
I haven't heard the side pipes on an actual Boss, but given the differences between the two it shouldn't be surprising.

Also, doesn't the Boss have different mufflers as well?
Old 1/19/15, 10:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Blue Notch
This thread is killing me! Spring needs go hurry up and get here so I can get mine installed!
You have no idea what eargazam your missing...

All the mods you see below I installed within 3 days lol, so much fun but body aches all over haha

Last edited by Wild5.0; 1/19/15 at 10:03 PM.
Old 1/20/15, 05:21 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I started out boss sides no plates + gt500ab + resonators. Awesome sound but drone? on freeway, so drilled 3/4 plates. This solved the drone part but I'd be hungry for more sound - not necessary louder - just more growling n gurgle if you know what I mean, like a lion.

What the 3/4 plates did was down the volume, the 'tone' stayed IMO.

So I cut out the resonators. Mostly my expectation was to get more aggressive out the back (via gt500's) at woot or at least that was my impression from fellow stanger (he didn't have the sides). Somehow though, I felt the overall sound got louder. It was a bit strange to me.

As of last Sunday, once again the restrictor plates are gone wide open. Well, it's 'wider' open this time because resonators are missing. Originally, my plan was to go for the 7/8 but hmm.

Question here is why the boss sides put on GT's and boss sides on actual BOSS 302 are sounding different. The side pipes on BOSS 302's have this growl like Grrrr (which I like very much) whereas on mine, it sounds more mellow Brrrr. Any ideas?
The Boss has a few different engine pieces. Cams are different, not sure about the heads themselves but there may be some flow changes there too. That'll definitely change the sound. And then there's Trackey, which many Boss owners use to really show off the side exhausts. But you can get the Trackey for late 2014's and the TrackCal for older cars, which introduces a lopy idle, among other things.
Old 1/20/15, 01:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Wild5.0

Great info. I think the reason boss 302 sounds different is because of the tune and the engine makes more power. I know when i put my steeda tune the car sounded much throatier than my frpp tune.
Really? Ahh it feels like yesterday getting all excited doing the power pack (gt500ab + procal), my very first mod. Maybe its time for a new tune. Thanks!

Originally Posted by lakeguy77

The Boss has a few different engine pieces. Cams are different, not sure about the heads themselves but there may be some flow changes there too. That'll definitely change the sound. And then there's Trackey, which many Boss owners use to really show off the side exhausts. But you can get the Trackey for late 2014's and the TrackCal for older cars, which introduces a lopy idle, among other things.
Are Trackcal and Procal different?! I cannot believe that I cannot get the Trackey, mine's an early 13 build. Someone mentioned that the Lopey idle & Boss Sides are meant to be. Why are we not getting the updates on PCMs so we could get Lopey's why! I feel so left out.
Old 1/20/15, 02:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Really? Ahh it feels like yesterday getting all excited doing the power pack (gt500ab + procal), my very first mod. Maybe its time for a new tune. Thanks! Are Trackcal and Procal different?! I cannot believe that I cannot get the Trackey, mine's an early 13 build. Someone mentioned that the Lopey idle & Boss Sides are meant to be. Why are we not getting the updates on PCMs so we could get Lopey's why! I feel so left out.
Yeah, i love the steeda tune. My procal is not even comparable with my steeda tune. Car was pinging with the procal and ford racing said it was normal :/ Now with the steeda tune car is much faster and i shred the tires in first and second at high rpms, my procal never did that. Oh and 0 ping : )
Old 1/29/15, 09:39 PM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone have part # for GT 500 AB Highflow for 2014 1/2 GT
Old 3/10/15, 08:34 PM
V6 Member

Just installed my Boss 302 side exhaust. They are amazing. Paired with my outlaw flowmaster it's amazing. Ford should have made every GT 5.0 come with this exhaust system. Here's a video I took.

http://youtu.be/lrJS5t-XaLs
Old 4/20/15, 07:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Bringing this thread back from the dead. Mainly because I finally got my Quad Exhaust installed this weekend. It was a simple install. Even by myself was not too bad laying on the ground with the car on jack stands. I tend not to do that anymore because I have access to a lift at work. The reason I installed them on jack stands... It rained all weekend here. It gave me ample time since Ellie does not go out in the rain. I think my new neighbors also think I am crazy now though. Mainly because I had to open the garage multiple times, start her and rev her up just to hear the new sound. The one trick I learned in this process that was nearly missed and can be handy for anyone doing exhaust work on our cars, the clamps on front of the H pipe can be tricky due to placement. But a 5.5 mm socket fits perfectly on the bottom end of the clamp bolt. And once the bolt is cracked loose up top, the small socket can be used to turn the bolt from the bottom. So now the important part, how does it sound? Keep in mind I still have stock mufflers and I removed the restrictors completely from the Quad Exhaust. I finally got a test drive late last night since the rain cleared and the streets dried. I watched MANY videos over the winter and they all do this exhaust ZERO justice in person. If you have not heard it... FIND SOMEONE. At cold start the car ROARS to life and after 30 warm up seconds the sound mellows to a wonderful rumble. At WOT the exhaust screams. And upon decal the burble is utterly amazing (I will need more practice on my down shifting!). But the important parts, idling thru my neighbor hood and cruising speeds the note is present but not at all over powering. A normal conversation can be had in cabin with windows down and my neighbors will not be disturbed after a late night cruise. The exhaust is NEVER too loud and NEVER obnoxious. It is without a doubt the best Coyote exhaust I have heard in person. So what are the down sides? On my set up I wish a warm idle had just a little more volume to the note. And this is probably mostly fault of the stock AB. Someday I will have the Ford Racing Track Cal and so this will likely be corrected then. But until then... I am all smiles!
Old 4/20/15, 07:59 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
How hard would it be to install this on a convertible? I've seen that some modification is required due to the extra bracing underneath. I have the GT500 quad tip axle backs on the car now and love how they sound, but adding the Boss side pipes would be nice as well.
Old 4/20/15, 08:56 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by 14Glassback
Bringing this thread back from the dead. Mainly because I finally got my Quad Exhaust installed this weekend. It was a simple install. Even by myself was not too bad laying on the ground with the car on jack stands. I tend not to do that anymore because I have access to a lift at work. The reason I installed them on jack stands... It rained all weekend here. It gave me ample time since Ellie does not go out in the rain. I think my new neighbors also think I am crazy now though. Mainly because I had to open the garage multiple times, start her and rev her up just to hear the new sound. The one trick I learned in this process that was nearly missed and can be handy for anyone doing exhaust work on our cars, the clamps on front of the H pipe can be tricky due to placement. But a 5.5 mm socket fits perfectly on the bottom end of the clamp bolt. And once the bolt is cracked loose up top, the small socket can be used to turn the bolt from the bottom. So now the important part, how does it sound? Keep in mind I still have stock mufflers and I removed the restrictors completely from the Quad Exhaust. I finally got a test drive late last night since the rain cleared and the streets dried. I watched MANY videos over the winter and they all do this exhaust ZERO justice in person. If you have not heard it... FIND SOMEONE. At cold start the car ROARS to life and after 30 warm up seconds the sound mellows to a wonderful rumble. At WOT the exhaust screams. And upon decal the burble is utterly amazing (I will need more practice on my down shifting!). But the important parts, idling thru my neighbor hood and cruising speeds the note is present but not at all over powering. A normal conversation can be had in cabin with windows down and my neighbors will not be disturbed after a late night cruise. The exhaust is NEVER too loud and NEVER obnoxious. It is without a doubt the best Coyote exhaust I have heard in person. So what are the down sides? On my set up I wish a warm idle had just a little more volume to the note. And this is probably mostly fault of the stock AB. Someday I will have the Ford Racing Track Cal and so this will likely be corrected then. But until then... I am all smiles!
Where did you buy your exhaust from?
Old 4/20/15, 11:54 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by SpectreH
How hard would it be to install this on a convertible? I've seen that some modification is required due to the extra bracing underneath. I have the GT500 quad tip axle backs on the car now and love how they sound, but adding the Boss side pipes would be nice as well.
The directions I found on line said the only difference is you need a longer bolt and a spacer. The vert brace apparently uses the hole that the Quad Exhaust also uses directly in front of the rear tires. They say to take factory bolt out of brace and use a longer bolt to go thru both with a insulator between. The problem now is locating a set!
Old 4/20/15, 11:56 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by gjcavana
Where did you buy your exhaust from?
From Auto Nation Ford of White Bear Lake. Someone can correct me but I think it used to be Tasca Ford before? Any way they changed names right before I got my exhaust from them. Very good to deal with. Will buy from them again in the future.
Old 4/20/15, 12:04 PM

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
From Auto Nation Ford of White Bear Lake. Someone can correct me but I think it used to be Tasca Ford before? Any way they changed names right before I got my exhaust from them. Very good to deal with. Will buy from them again in the future.
It used to be Tousley. Tasca is in Rhode Island.
Old 4/20/15, 04:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

The one trick I learned in this process that was nearly missed and can be handy for anyone doing exhaust work on our cars, the clamps on front of the H pipe can be tricky due to placement. But a 5.5 mm socket fits perfectly on the bottom end of the clamp bolt. And once the bolt is cracked loose up top, the small socket can be used to turn the bolt from the bottom.
Yes, good call. It's actually a female star socket and the whole time I was thinking, "man I wish I had a set of those." Didn't have a 5.5 hex so this is good information.

On my set up I wish a warm idle had just a little more volume to the note. And this is probably mostly fault of the stock AB. Someday I will have the Ford Racing Track Cal and so this will likely be corrected then. But until then... I am all smiles!
If the Track Cal is anything like the TracKey (and I believe it is), volume is NOT a problem!
Old 4/20/15, 07:53 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
The directions I found on line said the only difference is you need a longer bolt and a spacer. The vert brace apparently uses the hole that the Quad Exhaust also uses directly in front of the rear tires. They say to take factory bolt out of brace and use a longer bolt to go thru both with a insulator between. The problem now is locating a set!
Thanks for the reply!
Old 4/20/15, 08:49 PM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,088 Likes on 788 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue Notch
It used to be Tousley. Tasca is in Rhode Island.

Yup, your are right... Here is a story on the name change.
http://www.bizjournals.com/twincitie...utonation.html

I bought my Trackey from them. Great to deal with and they had great prices as well. Were quick to the the items to me.

Just got my Boss Side pipes installed about three weeks ago. Love them. Did the GT Trackey and QTP cutouts at the same time. Boss pipes really change the tone, but do not seem to make a huge difference in the volume. Does not seem much louder even with the cutouts wide open. I have the Roush Axle Backs and they just enhance the sound. Great paired together. The Boss pipes sure add a lot of crackle to the exhaust when you let up on the throttle. You can kind of think of it as adding surround sound to your exhaust. Moves the rumble from the back to both sides and back...

I really like them and feel it is worth the cost, especially with the Trackey lopey idle.

Good luck finding a new set of the Boss side pipes. I had a tough time. back in February. Thought maybe I waited too long, but stumbled on a new open box set on eBay from what appears to be American Muscle's eBay arm. Paid a little much for them, but with what I was seeing at the time, and what it would cost to piece the set together I got a bargain.

FYI here is a post were I looked up the prices late last year from the part numbers that make up the M-5220-MB GT version of the Boss Side Pipes on this thread. A couple of posts before this are the complete list of parts included in the kit if you want to try and piece a set together. Some have talk of ordering the individual parts and getting the pipes this way.

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...6/#post6875992

Good Luck!
Old 4/21/15, 03:27 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AM shows the ford racing boss"style" for the 11- 14 gt500 would that fit a regular gt??
Old 4/21/15, 04:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Ks5.0
AM shows the ford racing boss"style" for the 11- 14 gt500 would that fit a regular gt??
I think you'll still need the boss 302 H pipe.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Boss Quad Exhaust for GT