Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Bilstein B12 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 2/10/17, 05:40 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Bilstein B12 Questions

Today I am going to install the Bilstein B12 kit. I'll probably have a few questions.

First of all the springs have a small plastic cover that only covers part of the coil.

Should this be removed or placed on the bottom most section of the coil?
Old 2/10/17, 07:36 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
I left mine in their original location. I also ordered another set of rubber insulators and installed them on the lower spring where it meets the strut. It might not be needed but my install has no squeaks or noise. I also didn't like the metal contact. If you don't want to wait for your order to come in you can move the insulators to the bottom and later install the others later as they are split. Just mark where they were to be placed.
The following users liked this post:
wvtrain (2/10/17)
Old 2/10/17, 04:04 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
Where did you get the extra insulators? Do you have a part number?
Old 2/10/17, 08:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by trackpack13gt
Today I am going to install the Bilstein B12 kit. I'll probably have a few questions.

First of all the springs have a small plastic cover that only covers part of the coil.

Should this be removed or placed on the bottom most section of the coil?
Did you finish the install yet? Hopefully you can post some pic's of the car with the new setup. Your gonna love the Bilsteins. I installed mine back in October along with Vogtland springs. The Eibach springs should give you a very firm ride. good luck!
Old 2/10/17, 08:23 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Try this link
http://parts.autonationfordwhitebear...ord/6r3z5l302a
Old 2/11/17, 08:18 PM
Bullitt Member

I got the rear shocks and springs installed.

I removed one of the original struts. As I removed the nut holding the strut mount the strut mount separated dropping the ball bearings.

I spent an hour on the floor looking for them. There is a gap for one ball bearing. An online search said that's how it is supposed to look.

So I carefully put the bearings back on the race, I have tried multiple times to put the top part of the mount back on. No matter what I do, when I rotate the top section I can here crunch crunch, then some fell out again.

I have left it as it is in frustration.

Firstly is it supposed to separate? If I get new 13 OEM mounts will it do the same thing?

If I get caster camber plates or steeda HD mount do they have ball bearings too?
Old 2/11/17, 09:38 PM
Legacy TMS Member

If your not going to track your car I would use GT500 mounts. They are better than the stock mounts that fall apart. Just make sure they are for the strut you have as there was a change I believe after 2010 which was upper shaft length. Many have had your exact problem. Some of the after market mounts require the upper spring perch from the old OEM mounts. I'm not sure which ones. If money was no object check the Vorshlag ones$$$.
Old 2/11/17, 09:49 PM
Bullitt Member

I cannot use the gt500 mounts as I have 11-14 struts.
Old 2/11/17, 11:34 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
I dropped one of mine too. I just bit the bullet and bought an OEM one from the parts counter. I don't remember how much it was, but it was pretty cheap.
Old 2/12/17, 08:14 AM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

Received 132 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally Posted by trackpack13gt
I got the rear shocks and springs installed.

I removed one of the original struts. As I removed the nut holding the strut mount the strut mount separated dropping the ball bearings.

I spent an hour on the floor looking for them. There is a gap for one ball bearing. An online search said that's how it is supposed to look.

So I carefully put the bearings back on the race, I have tried multiple times to put the top part of the mount back on. No matter what I do, when I rotate the top section I can here crunch crunch, then some fell out again.

I have left it as it is in frustration.

Firstly is it supposed to separate? If I get new 13 OEM mounts will it do the same thing?

If I get caster camber plates or steeda HD mount do they have ball bearings too?
Sounds like time for new mounts. I put the Steeda HD mounts on mine when I did the struts a couple of years ago. A well made part with some camber adjustability. Not as much as some of the others, but more than enough for most of us. If I remember correctly, they do have bearings in them, but the are made differently than the stock mounts so they do not fall apart.
Old 2/13/17, 05:34 AM
Bullitt Member

When tightening the main nut on the front strut, how is it supposed to be torqued?

I used the impact wrench and stopped though guess rather than torquing it. It will just spin if using a torque wrench.
Old 2/13/17, 08:05 AM
Legacy TMS Member

On the end of the strut there is a place to insert an allen wrench. Using a torque wrench won't work. I just tightened by feel and marked the nut so I would tell if it moved later. I also used a lock style nut. Nothing has moved since installed.