2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Big Dilemma. Some help needed.

Search this Thread

Old 4/1/10, 12:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Big Dilemma. Some help needed.

I have been trying to build a 2011 5.0 but I'm having a tough time trying to decide with what options.
So far I have concluded on these options.
2011 Mustang GT 6 Speed Manual
Colour: Undecided
Security Package
Premier Trim w/colour Brick
Navigation System
HID's
3.73 Gears
Now here is my dilemma. To go with the California special or the Brembo's.
I really like the CS but you can't add the Brembo's and I can't get the Brick interior which i also really like. I really like the race red with the CS so it would be my first choice.
If i get the Brembo's i'm not too fond of the plain apearance of the mustang. I have read reviews that state that the stock Ford brakes are really good. I'f i got the Brembo's I would probably get Kona blue with silver stripes.
Any input would be appreciate it because it's driving me nuts.
Old 4/1/10, 12:19 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Get the brembos in race red w/ brick interior. Add the CS appearance items after. You'll need the grille, lower front fascia, side scoops, and pedestal spoiler.

Although, the CS wheels won't clear the brembo brakes without some spacers...
Old 4/1/10, 12:37 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would always go with performance over asthetics. Brembos for the win for me.
Old 4/1/10, 12:40 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Brembos are available on ebay as well as other big brake upgrade packages.

Plus, the brembos don't stop much better than the 2011 GT brakes, 13.2" rotors to brembo 14". Only thing you may get from the brembos would be less fade on track duty.
Old 4/1/10, 12:47 PM

With the brembo's is there anything performance wise that would differ from the cs other than the summer tires?
Old 4/1/10, 12:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Fugitive
With the brembo's is there anything performance wise that would differ from the cs other than the summer tires?
Other than the Brembo brakes themselves? Nope.

Dealbreaker for me on the Brembo package:
-Reviews saying you really don't need them. The '11 can be driven hard, and the stock brakes are fine. Remember, they upgraded the stock brake system.
-The Wheels - They're rather ugly, in my opinion. If I'm going to pay that much money for wheels, I want to pick them out myself.

Didn't really like the look of the CS, so never really considered it as an option.
Old 4/1/10, 01:00 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by stangfoeva
Get the brembos in race red w/ brick interior. Add the CS appearance items after. You'll need the grille, lower front fascia, side scoops, and pedestal spoiler.

Although, the CS wheels won't clear the brembo brakes without some spacers...
Get the brembos and then add the GT/CS apperence stuff later!
Old 4/1/10, 01:27 PM
Cobra R Member

Are you going to track your car? If not, you probably don't need Brembo brakes. The stopping distance is negligible. 3 feet to be exact (Source: Motortrend, 2011 GT w/ Brembos vs 2010 GT). The advantage of big brakes is that brake fade is reduced when you are constantly braking. This isn't something you will experience outside the track IMO.
Old 4/1/10, 01:47 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
If you don't need the Brembos, skip both options, get a regular GT Premium, then buy the GT/CS fascias after. The front fascia is only the lowe part; the upper is the same as the GT.
Old 4/1/10, 02:05 PM
Cobra R Member

The Brembo's stoping distance went 60-0 from 108ft to 105. Barely a 3% improvement. So unless you're planing track time, and/or are in love with the rims, no need really. If you want stout brakes go Baer.

All the aesthetic trim will be made avalible in the aftermarket as well. Pick it out take it to the dealer and they'll tack it on.

If I were you I'd add the CS package and then if you want upgraded brakes put those on later... as the brakes aren't going to make or brake you in stoping times, but if you want to off set the look of your car the CS package is for you.
Old 4/1/10, 02:31 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Fugitive
I really like the CS but you can't add the Brembo's and I can't get the Brick interior which i also really like. I really like the race red with the CS so it would be my first choice.
If i get the Brembo's i'm not too fond of the plain apearance of the mustang. I have read reviews that state that the stock Ford brakes are really good. I'f i got the Brembo's I would probably get Kona blue with silver stripes.
Any input would be appreciate it because it's driving me nuts.
ok
-you can't get brick interior with CS so CS is out
-why if you get brembo's would you get kona blue and not the colour you said you like with the CS...that being race red???

idea
-get GT w pre interior (so can get brick) get with brembo's and get race red (mod exterior to your liking...thats half the fun anyways)
Old 4/1/10, 02:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by DontShoot
-The Wheels - They're rather ugly, in my opinion. If I'm going to pay that much money for wheels, I want to pick them out myself.
Does anyone have pics of all the different options? Regular 18's, CS 19's, Brembo 19's?
Old 4/1/10, 02:40 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by InsidiousGT
Does anyone have pics of all the different options? Regular 18's, CS 19's, Brembo 19's?
https://themustangsource.com/showthread.php?t=481599

Old 4/1/10, 02:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 2010MustangGT

The Brembo's stoping distance went 60-0 from 108ft to 105. Barely a 3% improvement. So unless you're planing track time, and/or are in love with the rims, no need really. If you want stout brakes go Baer.

All the aesthetic trim will be made avalible in the aftermarket as well. Pick it out take it to the dealer and they'll tack it on.

If I were you I'd add the CS package and then if you want upgraded brakes put those on later... as the brakes aren't going to make or brake you in stoping times, but if you want to off set the look of your car the CS package is for you.
The 3 ft difference are due to the tires (summer only on the 2011 vs A/S on the 2010) not the brakes ... the Baer won't shorten that distance either

The advantage of the Brembos are braking power, braking modulation & brake fade ... ok ... and looks !

Last edited by MontrealStang; 4/1/10 at 02:47 PM.
Old 4/1/10, 02:58 PM
GT Member

If I may offer my humble opinion...

Get the California Special, if that's what you really want. To think through this decision logically, then you need to ask yourself the following questions:

1) Is it physically possible to add this option later?
2) Will it be financially possible to add this option later?
3) How much hassle will I have to go through to add this option?
4) Considering the above, how realistic is it that I will actually be able to do this?

To me, the California Special is not just wheels, decals, and scoops, but there are also interior changes as well. It seems as if it would be very difficult, if not impossible to add these things later on. You may say you don't need some of the more subtle add-ons, but then otherwise do you really have a California Special? The problem is that there may be some things which are impossible to add, such as the carbon-fiber dash, or the door inserts, without buying new door panels, or worse, a new dashboard. You may only accomplish half of that, at best, during your period of ownership of the car. Trust me, it starts to get expensive, and then you start asking yourself, considering all the other needs in your life, whether you really should be spending that kind of cash on such a project.

The Brembo brakes on the other hand, while expensive, seem a lot simpler. Save up $1600.00 (or whatever they cost), and install. Problem solved. You could even have Pep Boys or Midas do the work for you.

The only issue seems to be whether you can live without the brick interior. I would say that the brick looks pretty sharp when new, but after a few years (especially after the car has been parked in the sun for awhile) it may looked stained and faded. You don't want people asking, "So why did you choose a pink interior for your Mustang?":gay:
Old 4/1/10, 03:00 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by JCC07
You don't want people asking, "So why did you choose a pink interior for your Mustang?":gay:
lol.
Old 4/1/10, 03:12 PM
MOTM Committee Member

If I may offer my humble opinion...

Get the California Special, if that's what you really want. To think through this decision logically, then you need to ask yourself the following questions:

1) Is it physically possible to add this option later?
2) Will it be financially possible to add this option later?
3) How much hassle will I have to go through to add this option?
4) Considering the above, how realistic is it that I will actually be able to do this?

To me, the California Special is not just wheels, decals, and scoops, but there are also interior changes as well. It seems as if it would be very difficult, if not impossible to add these things later on. You may say you don't need some of the more subtle add-ons, but then otherwise do you really have a California Special? The problem is that there may be some things which are impossible to add, such as the carbon-fiber dash, or the door inserts, without buying new door panels, or worse, a new dashboard. You may only accomplish half of that, at best, during your period of ownership of the car. Trust me, it starts to get expensive, and then you start asking yourself, considering all the other needs in your life, whether you really should be spending that kind of cash on such a project.

The Brembo brakes on the other hand, while expensive, seem a lot simpler. Save up $1600.00 (or whatever they cost), and install. Problem solved. You could even have Pep Boys or Midas do the work for you.

The only issue seems to be whether you can live without the brick interior. I would say that the brick looks pretty sharp when new, but after a few years (especially after the car has been parked in the sun for awhile) it may looked stained and faded. You don't want people asking, "So why did you choose a pink interior for your Mustang?":gay:
I agree with you if he wants to add every single detail and make a GT/CS clone. However, replicating the brembo pkg is not that easy either. The GT/CS wheels will not clear the brembos so he will need to add spacers. Also tires alone cost over $300 apiece.

I think it would be a lot cheaper if he just added the GT/CS rear and front fascias and pedestal spoiler. That's like $1k max.
Old 4/1/10, 03:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
I would option it as little as possible and try to keep it light. I would get as many performance options as I could though......I Also think I would either get it in Kona or Candy Red......What can I say, I have excellent taste......No matter which way you hash it you can't lose with the new Mustangs
Old 4/1/10, 04:21 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by stangfoeva
I agree with you if he wants to add every single detail and make a GT/CS clone. However, replicating the brembo pkg is not that easy either. The GT/CS wheels will not clear the brembos so he will need to add spacers. Also tires alone cost over $300 apiece.

I think it would be a lot cheaper if he just added the GT/CS rear and front fascias and pedestal spoiler. That's like $1k max.

But it's not just about the money. I'm not saying that replicating the Brembo package is cheap, but it's something that could conceivably be purchased in one shot with a tax return or 2-3 months' savings and then installed with 1-2 hours of labor, if that. The parts should be easily available, there's a minimum of hassle to install them, and in the future no one will ever accuse him of "creating a clone".

With the California Special parts, even after he buys just the exterior fascias, he'll still need to get them painted and installed. That's $500-$600 per part on top of the price of the item. I would estimate that by the time he's added the entire California Special package, including all parts, labor, and paint time, he could have bought the Brembo package 3 times over.
Old 4/1/10, 04:33 PM
MOTM Committee Member

But it's not just about the money. I'm not saying that replicating the Brembo package is cheap, but it's something that could conceivably be purchased in one shot with a tax return or 2-3 months' savings and then installed with 1-2 hours of labor, if that. The parts should be easily available, there's a minimum of hassle to install them, and in the future no one will ever accuse him of "creating a clone".

With the California Special parts, even after he buys just the exterior fascias, he'll still need to get them painted and installed. That's $500-$600 per part on top of the price of the item. I would estimate that by the time he's added the entire California Special package, including all parts, labor, and paint time, he could have bought the Brembo package 3 times over.
there would only be one part that would need to be painted and thats the stock GT grille ($200 max to paint that thing). The lower rear fascia and front fascia aren't painted, and the scoops and pedestal spoiler are Ford accesories that come pre-painted. The billet grill and badge can be bought now and are pretty cheap.

Like I said it would be around $1k, maybe a couple hundred more at max. This could all be done at home (besides the painting) if he wanted

Quick Reply: Big Dilemma. Some help needed.