General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

Anyone went from their mustang to a camaro ?

Old 7/29/15, 11:42 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Anyone went from their mustang to a camaro ?

Just wondering if anyone went from a mustang to a camaro, v8 of course and how they compare to own?

In particular I like the 2010-2013 ss, getting frustrated with the mt82, does the camaro have any similar problems.
Old 7/29/15, 02:27 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
No comment on the drivetrain portion of the Camaro, but I absolutely hate everything else about the car. My mom has a V6 RS. Power isn't bad but the stock exhaust is hilariously bad. Sounds awful (like a V6 Accord or something...) and the muffler tips look stupid. Build quality is fairly poor. Nothing is falling off...but it's all real cheap feeling. Like a 1980's transformers toy. HVAC controls are chunky, the console gauges feel out of place and like a toy, the instrument cluster feels cluttered, and the entertainment center layout leaves a lot to be desired.

Overall I'm just very underwhelmed by it as a whole, and I very much prefer my V6 Mustang. It supposedly has less power but feels much more powerful. I feel more connected to my mustang, the camaro just feels like some car that you get into and press the go pedal to get where you need to go.
Old 7/29/15, 02:29 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
You should probably register on some Camaro forums to find out about common 5th gen Camaro problems. I'd also consider waiting for the 6th gen Camaro as its a better platform if the looks are desirable to you. But either way, the GM LS/LT engines and Tremec transmissions are great drivetrains. LS/LT engines are bulletproof, much smaller, lighter, more reliable, and handle boost better than the Coyote with its high compression and dual overhead cams. There is a reason why everyone does LS swaps these days and NO ONE does Coyote swaps. Good luck with your search, hope you end up with something you really like.
Old 7/29/15, 03:12 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Originally Posted by trackpack13gt
Just wondering if anyone went from a mustang to a camaro, v8 of course and how they compare to own?

In particular I like the 2010-2013 ss, getting frustrated with the mt82, does the camaro have any similar problems.
I was fortunate enough to work on the 11-15 Camaro SS, LE, ZL1 and Z28 models, and drive them on test tracks.

Outside of LE and Z28 handling is disappointing with very prominent understeer. Out Track Pack mustangs are much better. The LE and Z28 handle superbly compared to our cars though.

I considered a 1LE very hard before finaly deciding on a Track Pack GT.

In my opinion you will not be disapointed with either car. The shifting is crisp and short on the 1LE cars. No "stick into a pile of rocks" feeling, plus I loved the cobra head type alcantera shifter.

I only have 4 gripes with the Camaro:
1) Visibility
2) Weight
3) The LS engine is potent, but it takes extra 1.2L of displacement to make the same kind of power the Coyote makes. Plus the Coyote revs higher due to more state of the art technology like Ti-VCT. I may be a bit bias, but the LS engines have never sounded good to me, and I'll take an Aluminator Coyote over an LS3 any day.
4) Terrible interior

I'm waiting for the 2017 1LE. My company has a few in the garage. I can't share the details but I'm blown away by certain hardware elements of these cars. I will certainly consider trading in my Mustang in for one of those. The new Camaro's are 200lbs lighter, look better, have much better interior and come with awesome performance goodies.

Jut my thoughts but unless you're looking for 13-15 LE I'd wait for the new generation to hit the lots.

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 7/29/15 at 06:04 PM.
Old 7/29/15, 03:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Two of my co-workers have them. They both have complained of outward visibility issues, terrible interior, and small trunk. One had an AC compressor go bad but that was replaced under warranty. From what I can tell, they are very reliable.
Old 7/29/15, 05:44 PM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
http://www.camaro5.com/

This is a nice forum about Camaros.

So I've heard. :/
Old 7/29/15, 06:40 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I travel quite a bit for work and have had 2015 Mustang GT's, Challenger R/T's and Camaro SS's for rentals numerous times so far this year. Each time I have the car for 5 days so I get to play with them a bit.

As far as the 2015 Camaro is concerned the interiors are very lack lustre in quality of materials and feel. Definitely cheaped out compared to a typical Mustang.
The power trains have always been very solid and responsive.
I like the "Heads up display" but others don't but it can be turned down out of view if one wants to.
The outward visibility is a little worse than the mustang but once you get used to it is ok imo (I am 6'2 so it took getting used to).
The Camaro convertible operation and design is superior to the mustang but very noisy motor operation when lowering and raising.
It feels like more of a muscle car than the 2015 Mustang GT due to its size and style.

Challengers are enjoyable with plenty of low end torque but not as nimble as the Mustang or Camaro. Good cruiser absolutely.

The Mustang is still an enjoyable driver but less muscle car and more sport in feel. Not bad just different. I have driven the GT, V6 and Ecoboost. I was impressed with the Ecoboost to be honest.... felt like a V6 and not much turbo lag in my experiences.

Looking forward to driving the new 2016 Camaro SS when they are out.

Last edited by 2007s197; 7/29/15 at 07:16 PM.
Old 7/29/15, 06:46 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,676 Likes on 1,198 Posts
No,...but I went from a Camaro to a Mustang.
Old 7/29/15, 06:54 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
I like the camaro, but I am sticking with my stang for now.
Old 7/29/15, 09:20 PM

My wifes test drive of a new camaro caused the engine to go into power restriction ??? mode or such. We drove back to the dealer at 10 mph. Got out and left.

Love my 2 convertible mustangs. No comparison. Love our Charger with 5.7 hemisphere too.
Old 7/30/15, 06:17 AM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by Stage_3
No,...but I went from a Camaro to a Mustang.
I have even more respect for you now Tony!!!!!

Seriously, I'm not one of those anti-Camaro, or anything else, kinda guys. I appreciate the Challenger/Charger, but the Camaro just doesn't float my boat. The interior is blah, the styling is meh. Newer Camaros don't get a second look from me, and I tend to ignore them at shows unless it's owned by a pretty girl. Then I'll fawn all over it.

I'm very superficial that way.
Old 7/30/15, 06:37 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
3) The LS engine is potent, but it takes extra 1.2L of displacement to make the same kind of power the Coyote makes. Plus the Coyote revs higher due to more state of the art technology like Ti-VCT. I may be a bit bias, but the LS engines have never sounded good to me, and I'll take an Aluminator Coyote over an LS3 any day.
Honestly, what does the extra displacement matter if the Coyote is physically bigger in size and weighs more than a bigger displacement engine? If anything, having more displacement is beneficial for when you start modding the engine. More potential to make more power.
Old 7/30/15, 07:28 AM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Originally Posted by Coyote5-0
Honestly, what does the extra displacement matter if the Coyote is physically bigger in size and weighs more than a bigger displacement engine? If anything, having more displacement is beneficial for when you start modding the engine. More potential to make more power.
I think you have a point that in the end you get a lot from a smaller package with the LS motors.

I personally think that 4v/cylinder is better than 2v/cylinder, and that pushrod actuation is not the best technology for a modern V8. This is why the Coyote can rev past 7000RPM and the LS is limited to 6600. Plus more HP/liter is also a good thing in my mind. This is why I like Coyote motors better, but that's just a matter of opinion.

It's like IRS vs. SRA debate. In the end it doesn't matter as long as the car handles.

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 7/30/15 at 07:29 AM.
Old 7/30/15, 05:33 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
When going from a mustang to a camaro there is no uniqueness to the camaro, they all look the same to me, but they are solid cars. I would get into a challenger before a camaro, 2015 scat pack :-)
Old 7/30/15, 06:02 PM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If we did we'd probably be lurking on the camaro forums.
Old 7/30/15, 07:40 PM
GT Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
A couple years ago I decided to get a modern muscle car to celebrate my youngest kid's high school graduation - no more need for a 4 door!!! I was planning on getting a Challenger until I rented a Mustang during a trip to Vegas. I loved it so much I bought one. This spring we again went to Vegas and rented a Camaro. I couldn't wait to turn in the keys. I did like the HUD including a digital speedo and the silky smooth transmission with paddle shifters though.
Old 7/30/15, 09:14 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i was looking at the camaro when i got my mustang. i think the exterior looks more aggressive on the camaro, the interior drove me away. its god awful looking
Old 7/30/15, 10:53 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
I like the 6th gen Camaro better than the 5th. Wait for the GT350, it doesn't have
a Chinese Getrag.
Old 7/31/15, 08:10 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by whowasthat
i was looking at the camaro when i got my mustang. i think the exterior looks more aggressive on the camaro, the interior drove me away. its god awful looking
One could say that big flat panel with the radio and HVAC controls on our cars sticks out like a sore thumb, ruins the interior flow, and just straight up looks ugly. Hell...I'll go ahead and say it! I think it's the worst part of our interiors. It's like Ford put all their time into the gauges, dash, center console, and just stuck a big flat panel in the middle
Old 7/31/15, 09:03 AM
GT Member

I'm honestly digging the upcoming '16 Camaro. Less weight and better interior? Yes, please! I had a Camaro rental a few years back and could not get passed the tiny windows and meh interior.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone went from their mustang to a camaro ?