Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Anyone else have some curb rash on their wheels??

Search this Thread

Old 2/11/12, 04:01 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
+1 on Alloy Wheel Repair. A guy I know is a tech there. I've used them twice, once on my Infiniti and once on my brembo Mustang.

Highly recommended. I can't even tell where the mark is.
Old 2/24/12, 02:01 PM
sai
GT Member

how bad is you brembo wheel curb rash, how much they charged to fix it ?
Old 1/21/15, 12:08 PM
DRB
Bullitt Member

So, after learning (I thought) to be really careful and not having bumped a curb in a very long time, I put new chrome-rimmed wheels on my car three weeks ago and then last weekend...

<Sigh>. The scrape is small enough that probably no one will ever notice. Except me. ****, I feel stupid.
Old 1/21/15, 01:13 PM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
Got noticble rash on 3, slight rash on the 4th on my Boss 302S wheels. I'm batting .1000. Got a verbal estimate on repair, but I got such an amazing deal on the wheels that the estimate isn't far from what I paid for the whole set. I'll deal with it for now.
Old 1/21/15, 04:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Tires that are slightly wider than factory, or a tire that has a little extra rubber for rim protection will prevent 95% or more of the common curb rash from ever happening. Unfortunately, the Pirelli tires do not offer much, if any, protection to the wheels.
Old 1/21/15, 04:35 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by kn7671
Tires that are slightly wider than factory, or a tire that has a little extra rubber for rim protection will prevent 95% or more of the common curb rash from ever happening. Unfortunately, the Pirelli tires do not offer much, if any, protection to the wheels.
I discovered that the hard way. The Boss 302S wheels are 9" and they replaced my factory 5 spoke 8.5", so there's even a tick more of the rim exposed. If I even just slightly brush a curb, the wheel gets the damage.
Old 1/21/15, 04:39 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 107 Likes on 95 Posts
I did this to a front rim last fall. I didn't see it coming but I sure heard it when it happened. I used silver touch up paint that we keep for my wife's Flex. I should get it repaired but now I notice other small nicks or rock chips showing up on my other rims just from driving. Now I'm just discouraged from making any more repairs whatsoever. Subscribed.

Last edited by GrnT; 1/21/15 at 04:46 PM.
Old 1/21/15, 05:05 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by GrnT
I did this to a front rim last fall. I didn't see it coming but I sure heard it when it happened. I used silver touch up paint that we keep for my wife's Flex. I should get it repaired but now I notice other small nicks or rock chips showing up on my other rims just from driving. Now I'm just discouraged from making any more repairs whatsoever. Subscribed.
As soon as nice weather and the car show/cruise season starts I'm sure the damage will begin to bother me a lot. I really want to step up to 20" and a set of Shelby CS40's, but I can't justify new sneakers now with only 5K on the clock.

I might consider a set of less expensive 19" wheels in lieu of the cost of getting the Boss 302's repaired, might even consider something in gray or charcoal. I'm starting to like that look on black.

This is something I played with on the Custom Mustang configurator. It's a maybe.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone else have some curb rash on their wheels??-mustang_1280x960.jpg  
Old 1/21/15, 06:30 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by TripleBlack14
As soon as nice weather and the car show/cruise season starts I'm sure the damage will begin to bother me a lot. I really want to step up to 20" and a set of Shelby CS40's, but I can't justify new sneakers now with only 5K on the clock. I might consider a set of less expensive 19" wheels in lieu of the cost of getting the Boss 302's repaired, might even consider something in gray or charcoal. I'm starting to like that look on black. This is something I played with on the Custom Mustang configurator. It's a maybe.
That would look real nice on your car. If I had to do a repair I was wondering if they could do a color change to gold or darker like a bronze. I really like my rims, I just wish they were 10 inches on the back.

Last edited by GrnT; 1/21/15 at 06:32 PM.
Old 1/21/15, 08:48 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by GrnT
That would look real nice on your car. If I had to do a repair I was wondering if they could do a color change to gold or darker like a bronze. I really like my rims, I just wish they were 10 inches on the back.
Another set of wheels is something that's on my mind, but it seems like such a waste because I like the Boss 302S wheels. But the gouges are going to start keeping me up at night at some point. The wheels depicted are from the Mustang Customizer, as are the stripes which don't really exist on my car.

The problem with my wheels is that the machined aluminum lips sustained the damage and require a more extensive and expensive repair. A painted wheel is much easier and less expensive to repair.

I spotted these on American Muscle, not 100% sure. Probably a pain to keep clean, but when you own a black car you get used to spending a lot of time in the driveway with it anyway.
Attached Images  
Old 1/21/15, 10:52 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Those get my approval. Very cool. Don't those come in wider than 8 inches? Cost $$$
It's sometimes hard to fork out the cash on a repair if your looking at other rims. So many choices.
Old 1/21/15, 11:01 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Another set of wheels is something that's on my mind, but it seems like such a waste because I like the Boss 302S wheels. But the gouges are going to start keeping me up at night at some point. The wheels depicted are from the Mustang Customizer, as are the stripes which don't really exist on my car. The problem with my wheels is that the machined aluminum lips sustained the damage and require a more extensive and expensive repair. A painted wheel is much easier and less expensive to repair. I spotted these on American Muscle, not 100% sure. Probably a pain to keep clean, but when you own a black car you get used to spending a lot of time in the driveway with it anyway.
If you like those, wait until next Black Friday and buy the SVE Drift version for $425 shipped. I truly wish I had waited on buying wheels, as I would've gotten those instead of my Niches (which I do love, but they're a pain to keep shiny).
Old 1/22/15, 05:39 AM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
If you like those, wait until next Black Friday and buy the SVE Drift version for $425 shipped. I truly wish I had waited on buying wheels, as I would've gotten those instead of my Niches (which I do love, but they're a pain to keep shiny).

As you know I have the screaming thigh shakes for CS40's. But almost $3k for all new rolling stock just doesn't make sense. And with just 5K miles, it'll be 3-4 years (or more) before my current tires are even close to needing replacement. I'm not that patient.

The look of darker, but not black, wheels on a black Mustang has really grown on me a lot. They seem to work best with either matte black or very dark grey stripes, a mod that I'm now reconsidering. Of course the stripes lead to a GT500 spoiler, and so on and so on........

Before I know it I'll have a black version of DarrenGT's DIB ragtop. I guess that wouldn't be a bad thing at all.
Old 1/22/15, 11:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

The problem with my wheels is that the machined aluminum lips sustained the damage and require a more extensive and expensive repair. A painted wheel is much easier and less expensive to repair.
You can get aluminum wheels repaired and refinished and looking new for less that $150.00 per wheel. A company I've used before is Wheels America.
Old 1/22/15, 11:57 AM
FR500 Member

You can get aluminum wheels repaired and refinished and looking new for less that $150.00 per wheel. A company I've used before is Wheels America.
Thanks for the info.

My Boss 302 wheels cost just a little bit more than that, and that included the TPMS sensors. The wheels I'm considering cost around $150 so repair vs. replacment is a wash.
Old 1/24/15, 09:55 PM

I'm hoping that you're right.

Been reading the forums here for a while but a mistake I made today had me searching for someone else with a similar problem, and I came across this thread. I started to do the same as TripleBlack14 and thought maybe this was an opportunity to consider new wheels, but then I started looking and I don't feel the need to spend $1k+ just yet. I got my GT last January and they came with the 19" machined aluminum wheels with black painted windows. Today while parking to get coffee I got a little too sloppy/rushed and scraped the wheel, and I've been obsessed with it (and mad at myself) ever since. I researched several reputable places in my area that do wheel repair but I'm not sure if they can make the finish like the original. I'm attaching pics of the damage and a part that shows the original finish, which has a diamond cut surface look from a CNC lathe before it was clear coated.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone else have some curb rash on their wheels??-imag0229_1.jpg   Anyone else have some curb rash on their wheels??-imag0230_1.jpg  
Old 1/26/15, 12:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by glo106
I'm hoping that you're right. Been reading the forums here for a while but a mistake I made today had me searching for someone else with a similar problem, and I came across this thread. I started to do the same as TripleBlack14 and thought maybe this was an opportunity to consider new wheels, but then I started looking and I don't feel the need to spend $1k+ just yet. I got my GT last January and they came with the 19" machined aluminum wheels with black painted windows. Today while parking to get coffee I got a little too sloppy/rushed and scraped the wheel, and I've been obsessed with it (and mad at myself) ever since. I researched several reputable places in my area that do wheel repair but I'm not sure if they can make the finish like the original. I'm attaching pics of the damage and a part that shows the original finish, which has a diamond cut surface look from a CNC lathe before it was clear coated.
Yes, they can match it. That is a simple weld job, grind smooth, followed by black paint, machine the face to remove black paint on machined face, then clear coat.

Last edited by kn7671; 1/26/15 at 12:03 PM.
Old 1/26/15, 07:23 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Dammit! Was backing out of a parking spot and not paying enough attention and hit the curb, my car jumped up slightly from the hit. I thought it was body damage but just some curb rash similar to yours! These rims are pretty tough, and with them being dark gray in finish the rash doesn't show so bad unless your right on it. Stupid curb lol
Old 1/26/15, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by SONICBOOST
Dammit! Was backing out of a parking spot and not paying enough attention and hit the curb, my car jumped up slightly from the hit. I thought it was body damage but just some curb rash similar to yours! These rims are pretty tough, and with them being dark gray in finish the rash doesn't show so bad unless your right on it. Stupid curb lol
Definitely the curb's fault! I feel your pain.

I got quotes from three places, and the low end was $120 and the high end was $175. When I asked the $175 place if they could go lower (after I had already gotten the quote of $120), he said he didn't think I'd be happy with a job done for $120. The more expensive place also said he'd have to charge me $15 extra to replace the TPMS sensor. Forgive my ignorance, but how can he know that the sensor will have to be replaced before even seeing my wheel, and why wouldn't any of the other two places say they had to charge me extra for that?
Old 1/26/15, 09:57 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by glo106
Definitely the curb's fault! I feel your pain. I got quotes from three places, and the low end was $120 and the high end was $175. When I asked the $175 place if they could go lower (after I had already gotten the quote of $120), he said he didn't think I'd be happy with a job done for $120. The more expensive place also said he'd have to charge me $15 extra to replace the TPMS sensor. Forgive my ignorance, but how can he know that the sensor will have to be replaced before even seeing my wheel, and why wouldn't any of the other two places say they had to charge me extra for that?
I'm not expert but I'm not quite sure how he would know he had to replace the sensor. Did you ask why? It's always a gamble going with the cheaper place cause the saying, "you get what you pay for" comes into effect. At the same time paying more doesn't always mean your getting more quality work. I'm going to do a little researching into polishing and finishing to see if I can do the job myself!

Quick Reply: Anyone else have some curb rash on their wheels??