Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Anyone else have distortion in their windshield?

Search this Thread

Old 6/8/13, 09:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Anyone else have distortion in their windshield?

Just received my '14 three weeks ago, and almost immediately I noticed when I look through the passenger side of the windshield there are "ripply" distortions. Maybe its just because I work in optics, but it is super distracting to see the image waver in my peripheral vision.

Just wondering if anyone else notices waves when looking through the windshield? When I sit in the passenger side and look over through the driver's side of the windshield, I do not see any waves- just on the passenger side.

I can't imagine this would be something they would replace under warranty, since technically its not really defective or anything- I've just never seen so much distortion in a windshield!
Old 6/8/13, 10:25 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
only when I'm driving directly towards a Picasso
Old 6/8/13, 10:41 PM
Banned

I've seen a spot like this or two. Of course if it really gets to you, have them replace the windshield. Up to you.
Old 6/9/13, 12:06 AM
GT Member

The only vehicle without a distorted windshield I have owned was a Wrangler. That was flat.
Old 6/9/13, 04:51 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My front windshield is okay, but when I look through the rearview the cars behind me look tall and skinny...??
I've never noticed it to this degree on other cars.
Old 6/9/13, 12:53 PM
GT Member

I've also noticed this. The day I brought her home I glanced in the passenger side mirror and wasn't sure if there was a Civic, a Transport or a Bicycle beside me in the carnival plastic mirrors they used. You might get used to it. If not just get chauffeured by a clown
Old 6/9/13, 06:51 PM
Team Mustang Source

I had the same problem with my 2013 Escape, i had them changed the winshield under warranty. Mustang was ok though,
Old 6/9/13, 08:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

After doing a bit of surfing on the subject, turns out there are quite a few references to distorted Ford windshields (several Mustangs with the distortion in the same place- entire right 1/3rd of the windshield)... Guess I'll run by the dealer and see what they say.
Old 6/9/13, 08:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have it, but only on a foot diameter section of the passenger side of the windshield. Not enough to bother me.
Old 6/10/13, 06:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've noticed that objects are closer than they appear...
Old 6/10/13, 06:30 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Varilux
Just received my '14 three weeks ago, and almost immediately I noticed when I look through the passenger side of the windshield there are "ripply" distortions. Maybe its just because I work in optics, but it is super distracting to see the image waver in my peripheral vision.

Just wondering if anyone else notices waves when looking through the windshield? When I sit in the passenger side and look over through the driver's side of the windshield, I do not see any waves- just on the passenger side.
Originally Posted by lsxjunkie
I have it, but only on a foot diameter section of the passenger side of the windshield. Not enough to bother me.
Hey guys,

I recommend you make an appointment with your dealers to get them checked out. Then, PM me with your VIN, dealer, full name, mileage, and best daytime number so I can escalate this to the customer service managers of your area if needed.

Deysha
Old 6/10/13, 10:28 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bones302
I've noticed that objects are closer than they appear...
or:

Objects in mirror are loosing.
Old 6/10/13, 07:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Stopped by my dealer on the way home. Service department manager was nice as could be and came right out to have a look. He mentioned that laminated windshields often have some waves, and hinted that this isn't the worst he's seen. He said he sent in a complaint on a windshield a couple years ago, but was told waves are "a normal condition."

He took down my VIN and cell number, and said he would call in to see if this is a reported issue. I'm not too optimistic, but will wait and see if he calls back any time soon.

I let a coworker drive the car back from lunch, and- after 5 minutes of driving- he said "Man, there are a lot of waves in the windshield!" At least I know I'm not "seeing things!"
Old 6/11/13, 10:24 AM
Bullitt Member

I havent noticed any problems with mine. Is it mostly on the passanger side of the windshield or are you guys seeing it all over?

Matthew
Old 6/11/13, 12:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Stopped by my dealer on the way home. Service department manager was nice as could be and came right out to have a look. He mentioned that laminated windshields often have some waves, and hinted that this isn't the worst he's seen. He said he sent in a complaint on a windshield a couple years ago, but was told waves are "a normal condition."

He took down my VIN and cell number, and said he would call in to see if this is a reported issue. I'm not too optimistic, but will wait and see if he calls back any time soon.

I let a coworker drive the car back from lunch, and- after 5 minutes of driving- he said "Man, there are a lot of waves in the windshield!" At least I know I'm not "seeing things!"
Pete, I wish you hadn't mentioned this. I now notice some mild waves in mine as well. When sitting in the driver's seat and focusing on a distant object (like a tree or building) through the right side of the windshield, I can move my head from left to right and back and see the waves. Sitting in the passenger's seat, I can see waves in the driver's side of the windshield as well. Both seem to be comparable in severity. I think I can live with mine. After a time, I should get used to it, making the waves unnoticeable. But for now, they'll be drawing my attention.
Old 6/11/13, 12:29 PM
GT Member

I only see distortion as I approach the speed of light, otherwise it is clear as a bell.

Also, I shudder at the thought of the dealer breaking the factory seal on the windshield to replace a wavy one. I hope I don't notice the same in my soon to be Mustang.
Old 6/11/13, 03:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Sorry- didn't mean to sensitize anyone to as-yet-unnoticed waves (I was going to post the question in the "Ordered/Built/Delivered" thread to see if it is an issue with the current batch of windshields, but didn't want to cause any new owner to be hypercritical of the windshield).

The service manager called today to ask me to come in so he can take pictures. He said he can send them to the "Ford Hotline" and see if they'll take action.

I don't really relish the thought of having the original seal broken, but these waves are really annoying the heck out of me. Every time I make a turn, my vision sweeps across the right side of the windshield and the image warbles. Once you see them, you just can't help but look at them (sorry MHoss).

Ironically, I work for an ophthalmic lens manufacturer and I know exactly what the problem likely is... Its probably either birefringence caused by the thermoplastic properties of glass created during tempering or hot spots during the forming (we don't make a lot of glass lenses today, but polycarbonate has the same issues). We have challenges getting clear optics out of an 80mm diameter blank- so I imagine the challenges with a 1.75 meter wide windshield are significant!

Once he takes pictures, I'll forward my info to Deysha so she can help flag my issue. Otherwise, the car is absolutely wonderful and fantastic- I just hope they can resolve the windshield (I just don't see myself "getting used" to distortion-
Old 6/13/13, 11:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Sorry- didn't mean to sensitize anyone to as-yet-unnoticed waves (I was going to post the question in the "Ordered/Built/Delivered" thread to see if it is an issue with the current batch of windshields, but didn't want to cause any new owner to be hypercritical of the windshield).

The service manager called today to ask me to come in so he can take pictures. He said he can send them to the "Ford Hotline" and see if they'll take action.

I don't really relish the thought of having the original seal broken, but these waves are really annoying the heck out of me. Every time I make a turn, my vision sweeps across the right side of the windshield and the image warbles. Once you see them, you just can't help but look at them (sorry MHoss).

Ironically, I work for an ophthalmic lens manufacturer and I know exactly what the problem likely is... Its probably either birefringence caused by the thermoplastic properties of glass created during tempering or hot spots during the forming (we don't make a lot of glass lenses today, but polycarbonate has the same issues). We have challenges getting clear optics out of an 80mm diameter blank- so I imagine the challenges with a 1.75 meter wide windshield are significant!

Once he takes pictures, I'll forward my info to Deysha so she can help flag my issue. Otherwise, the car is absolutely wonderful and fantastic- I just hope they can resolve the windshield (I just don't see myself "getting used" to distortion-
No problem. I was just jerking your chain a little. In running across this thread just now, I'm pleased that I didn't notice the waves while driving today. I suppose there will be times when I will focus on it, but frankly, I'd forgotten about the waves until now. I look forward to seeing Ford's assessment and proposed action/inaction.
Old 6/14/13, 08:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

So far, so good on getting this resolved. Once the tech saw it (its a little hard to pick up until either you move your head or something outside the car moves), he showed several other techs, and they agreed it was worse than the normal amounts of distortion they sometimes see in windshields.

He took some pictures and sent them in to Ford for pre-approval, and Deysha was kind enough to bring the issue to the attention of regional service (thanks Deysha, I got a call yesterday from someone in customer service- will be returnign the call today).

Yesterday, my tech asked me to return (he forgot to take a picture of the Carlite logo on the glass, which is apparently required to obtain authorization). He said he is "pretty sure" the replacement will be authorized, because he said they "accepted the complaint on the waves-" they just need a pic of the logo to ensure it is indeed a factory part.

From here, I'm supposed to get a call today to officially let me know they will be replacing the windshield and to schedule when/where it will be replaced (sounds like they outsource windshield work).

At this point, I'm impressed with the customer service. Another passenger expressed unaided awareness of the waves yesterday (sorry, been in market research the past couple of weeks ), so hopefully I'm not being too **** about this!
Old 6/14/13, 08:48 AM
GT Member

Unaided awareness = dude, what's up with your windshield?

Quick Reply: Anyone else have distortion in their windshield?