Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Anyone else get shorted on oil?

Search this Thread

Old 7/12/11, 01:26 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone else get shorted on oil?

Hey Everyone, So long story short got my 5.0 on June 1st of this year, had 68 miles on her when i rolled off the lot.
waited till i hit 1500 mile mark after some breaking in time to change the oil myself.

So tonight i did and when all was said and done, I usually pour the old oil back into the empty bottles and then take it to the parts store to recycle.

I ended up with only 4 quarts out of the 8.
So now this has me thinking, was i just running 6 qts of oil from the gecko?
because I can't believe it had a full 8 when i first bought it, since that means i literally burned off 4 qts of oil from then to now.

I know dealers were only putting in 6 after the 1st oil change, but this one came from the lot and wasn't touched yet since she was brand spanking new.

Anyone else experience this when changing the oil yourself?
Old 7/12/11, 02:27 AM

Oil

I had read about some 5.0's using some oil during the early miles. Could be that combined with a short factory fill.

Just watch it from time to time now that you are starting from square one, pull the dipstick every 500 or thousand miles.
Old 7/12/11, 07:22 AM
Bullitt Member

Pull your dipstick everytime you fill up, not every 500-1000 miles. Some are burning oil and if you wait every 500-1000, it may be to late for you.

Just check everytime you fill up. This should give you an idea if you're burning any oil.
Old 7/12/11, 08:09 AM

I had the DEALER tech short me 1.5 quarts on the first oil change. They even wrote in yellow crayon 6.5 qts on the fuse box. I should have removed it that misinformation because: Next change I bought my own 8 quarts and filter and went to the quick change that we use for the other cars. The oil monkeys were insisting that the engine only needed 6.5 qts as it written down in the engine compartment and the owner manual must be in error. Yes, I can see Ford having the factory writting a correction in crayon in the engine compartment to correct an error in the owners manual.
Old 7/12/11, 09:25 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Swamp Dweller
I had read about some 5.0's using some oil during the early miles. Could be that combined with a short factory fill.

Just watch it from time to time now that you are starting from square one, pull the dipstick every 500 or thousand miles.
Originally Posted by fake
Pull your dipstick everytime you fill up, not every 500-1000 miles. Some are burning oil and if you wait every 500-1000, it may be to late for you.

Just check everytime you fill up. This should give you an idea if you're burning any oil.
Thanks for the advice fellas, yeah what freaks me out is the fact that if I was a regular joe and not a car buff, and actually waited until the 10,000 mile for the 1st oil change, it wouldn't have made it.

Originally Posted by mrrooney
I had the DEALER tech short me 1.5 quarts on the first oil change. They even wrote in yellow crayon 6.5 qts on the fuse box. I should have removed it that misinformation because: Next change I bought my own 8 quarts and filter and went to the quick change that we use for the other cars. The oil monkeys were insisting that the engine only needed 6.5 qts as it written down in the engine compartment and the owner manual must be in error. Yes, I can see Ford having the factory writting a correction in crayon in the engine compartment to correct an error in the owners manual.
that is insane man! wow Im going to check mine just in case LOL. I hope they know now that its a full 8 qts.
Old 7/12/11, 11:40 PM
GT Member

Just had mine done saturday and they charged me for for 7 quarts. Before they charged me for 6. I check my oil at every fill up ( once a week) and it has used no oil.
Old 7/13/11, 08:27 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JiveFive0

I ended up with only 4 quarts out of the 8.
So now this has me thinking, was i just running 6 qts of oil from the gecko?
because I can't believe it had a full 8 when i first bought it, since that means i literally burned off 4 qts of oil from then to now.
Maybe the gecko shorted you on oil?!
Old 7/13/11, 10:45 AM
Bullitt Member

My Ford dealer only gave me 6 and half qts on my first oil change. Im glad I caught it when I got home. I went to Walmart and filled her back up to 8 qts.
Old 7/13/11, 11:06 AM

A second 5.0L Mustang with 6.5 qts from a dealer oil change.

You think some Ford techs are assuming the new 5.0L has the same oil capacity of the old 4.6L V8?
Old 7/14/11, 10:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

How do I verify how much oil they put in? I'm getting ready to schedule my first.
Old 7/14/11, 02:13 PM
Legacy TMS Member Moderator

Received 531 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by jaybertx
How do I verify how much oil they put in?
Just look at the dipstick to see if the level is right.
Old 7/14/11, 05:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy
Just look at the dipstick to see if the level is right.
Obviously not a well thought out question on my part....

I guess I would just assume that the service person that changed the oil would do that...
Old 7/15/11, 12:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Tony Alonso
Maybe the gecko shorted you on oil?!
LOL!!! darn geckos!!!

Originally Posted by jaybertx
Obviously not a well thought out question on my part....

I guess I would just assume that the service person that changed the oil would do that...
Well i actually changed the oil myself and it ended up with only 4 qts coming out. So I am now in the process of checking to see if its my car that is burning oil or I was just short changed from the factory fill.

In your case, actually check the dip stick now, note where it is at, and when you go to the dealer to get it serviced, Make sure to ask the tech how much oil they plan on putting into your ride. if they say something along the lines of "what the recommended qty is" or something like that then thats your que to say I want 8 quarts.

Its scary that they were short filling everyone with 6 qts.
After they do the oil change i believe it should state on your printout how many quarts they added.
Old 3/9/12, 03:21 PM
V6 Member

I have a question regarding oil. A day or two after brining my new GT home, I checked the oil. It was halfway between the top and bottom holes. I was told on the phone by the dealer's service manager that was the correct amount. So, apparently, halfway between the top and bottom hole is full?????

The car now has 448 miles on it and I just checked the oil again. It's at the same level. I'm wondering it it's low, since it's not all the way to the top hole, and whether the factory shorted me on oil to save money.

I read posts on here where people say, "My oil was a quart low." How do they know that? How can you tell from this weird dipstick what level would indicate a quart low?

My previous cars have had marks on the dipstick that said "full" or "add" or something similar. I have read that the Mustangs will burn a little oil during the break-in period. So chime in and tell me what you've found on your car and where your oil level shows on your dipstick.

Thanks.

Last edited by SterlingGrayV8; 3/9/12 at 03:22 PM.
Old 3/9/12, 03:34 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by SterlingGrayV8
I have a question regarding oil. A day or two after brining my new GT home, I checked the oil. It was halfway between the top and bottom holes. I was told on the phone by the dealer's service manager that was the correct amount. So, apparently, halfway between the top and bottom hole is full?????

The car now has 448 miles on it and I just checked the oil again. It's at the same level. I'm wondering it it's low, since it's not all the way to the top hole, and whether the factory shorted me on oil to save money.

I read posts on here where people say, "My oil was a quart low." How do they know that? How can you tell from this weird dipstick what level would indicate a quart low?

My previous cars have had marks on the dipstick that said "full" or "add" or something similar. I have read that the Mustangs will burn a little oil during the break-in period. So chime in and tell me what you've found on your car and where your oil level shows on your dipstick.

Thanks.
Anywhere between those two holes is correct - the engine has enough tolerance built in to operate normally with oil anywhere in that range. Getting it perfect would be near impossible so they give you that range.
Old 3/9/12, 03:35 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by JiveFive0
So tonight i did and when all was said and done, I usually pour the old oil back into the empty bottles and then take it to the parts store to recycle.
Man, make your life easier - just get one of the plastic oil drain tubs, use that for the oil change and take that right into the parts store with you!