2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Airbag Recall

Old 5/28/15, 12:36 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Airbag Recall

I got a recall notice today on my Ford Owners account to have the airbag inflator replaced.

Last edited by TheReaper; 5/28/15 at 12:38 PM.
Old 5/28/15, 12:39 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
uh oh! I hear this could be really bad news. the airbags can randomly deploy. I read something about this. there's millions of cars (in Canada) being affected by this recall. I wonder if this is related. If yours is affected, might be worth looking into our cars as well. Wonder if Deysha has any insider information.
Old 5/28/15, 12:43 PM
Cobra Member

I got this off AFM.

FORD issued a recall on the GT, and MUSTANG models - Recalls & alerts - Healthy Canadians Website
Old 5/28/15, 12:47 PM
Cobra Member

Thanks!
FSA Title: DRIVER AIRBAG INFLATOR REPLACEMENT
Field Service Action Number: 15S21

checked mine.... mine also has it as well. I'm calling Ford right now

Last edited by JoeMidnight; 5/28/15 at 12:49 PM.
Old 5/28/15, 12:49 PM
Cobra Member

Here's my recall.

Last updated 05/28/2015
We found the following field service action listed on your vehicle.

VIN: 1ZVBP8CF6E53034
FSA Title: DRIVER AIRBAG INFLATOR REPLACEMENT
Field Service Action Number: 15S21

Be advised that this system tracks Recalls and Customer Satisfaction Programs for which vehicles are subject to repair in the United States. The information provided is subject to change and update. There may be temporary delays in update of information on this site due to a number of factors. For the latest information regarding the status of your vehicle or any recall program of Ford Motor Company, please contact your local dealership directly or the Customer Relationship Center.

A recall is an action by the Company to remedy a safety concern related to a vehicle defect or regulatory requirement. It may require that you return your vehicle to the dealer for service. If your vehicle is not affected, it may be because it was built at a different time or using a different part than the affected vehicles.
QUESTIONS? CONTACT YOUR DEALER

Last edited by TheReaper; 5/28/15 at 12:55 PM.
Old 5/28/15, 12:56 PM
Cobra Member

I just called the service department. They said that this is a new recall and that it could be years before they get around to it. What he was told is that there is a chance that the airbag may not deploy. He said call back in 6 months and check back.

IF any airbag lights come up on the dashboard, then I will have to call them back and they'd try to get me into another car till its fixed.

otherwise, keep driving it.
Old 5/28/15, 01:44 PM
Cobra Member

I think this has to do with the fact that half your face could get ripped off if the bag deploys. That's my take on it.
Old 5/28/15, 02:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also posted this on AFM:

I've been doing some more reading on the subject. It appears that Takata doesn't actually know what is truly responsible for these airbag failures. At first they said humidity, then they said poor manufacturing practices, etc. This is why there have been these "waves" of recalls. There doesn't even seem to be much consistency regarding which airbags need to be replaced. In some cars it's the driver side airbag, in other cars it's the passenger side.

As of now, I'm not even sure whether a new airbag will be any better than the ones we have in our cars. If they can't identify what the problem is, they can't fix it.

Other tidbits of information:

The failure rate for Takata airbags in Honda vehicles is around 2%.

The failure rate for Takata airbags in "other" manufacturers covered by the recall is between 0.5-1%.
Old 5/28/15, 02:47 PM
Cobra Member

If I crash at 150+ mph I don't think the airbag matters anyway.
Old 5/28/15, 03:09 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeMidnight
I just called the service department. They said that this is a new recall and that it could be years before they get around to it. What he was told is that there is a chance that the airbag may not deploy. He said call back in 6 months and check back.

IF any airbag lights come up on the dashboard, then I will have to call them back and they'd try to get me into another car till its fixed.

otherwise, keep driving it.
Call back in 6 months? Wow. This is part of the biggest safety recall in history (bigger than the GM ignition one) and that's the response from your dealer? Wow.

Apparently it affects all 2005-14 Mustangs, plus Rangers and GTs:
Old 5/28/15, 04:04 PM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by TheReaper
I got a recall notice today on my Ford Owners account to have the airbag inflator replaced.
I got one too . Early build 2011 v6.
Old 5/28/15, 04:32 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Wtf. That's seriously their response? I already removed my airbag once for the GT500 steering wheel install. I think I'll just take mine out until they get the parts in, if I EVER GET MY CAR BACK.
Old 5/28/15, 05:39 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
I got mine fixed last week. It took my dealer two weeks to get the part in, but they got me in and out of my appointment in 45 mins. Glad I got it done.
Old 5/28/15, 07:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
The manufacturer I work for also has Takata Air Bag recalls. It only effects one model. But we are only allowed one inflator a day. Which is why it will likely take a long time to complete some of the recalls. Too many cars and not enough parts. And unless Ford has issued something I am not aware off... The problem is not air bags randomly going off. The issue is if the bag is deployed the inflator may shrapnel. A few people have died in minor collisions due to shrapnel. The inflator I get at work literally looks like a pipe bomb. And replacement requires dash removal. So be thankful your Mustang needs the driver side inflator. The big stink with Takata is that they knew long before they informed anyone that there was issues with these parts. And there is at least rumors they were secretly testing inflators long before they informed the public and NHTSA.
Old 5/28/15, 11:02 PM
Cobra Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
I went to owner.ford.com and was able to find a page where I input my VIN and learned that my car was also affected. I'll call my dealer tomorrow.
Old 5/29/15, 06:11 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by kylerohde
Call back in 6 months? Wow. This is part of the biggest safety recall in history (bigger than the GM ignition one) and that's the response from your dealer? Wow.

Apparently it affects all 2005-14 Mustangs, plus Rangers and GTs: https://twitter.com/nickbunkley/stat...30406741086208

Yeah, I just need to find the "official" statement of this recall and basically go down to ford and show them that the initial response of calling back in 6 months, is NOT ok.

I really believe that the service guy I spoke to was just misinformed. He thinks that the reason why the recall is being made is because the airbags may not deploy and doesn't believe that the shrapnel is the issue. or maybe he thinks that he's talking to a child and I'm going to eat up every word he says, I dunno.

Originally Posted by laserred38
Wtf. That's seriously their response? I already removed my airbag once for the GT500 steering wheel install. I think I'll just take mine out until they get the parts in, if I EVER GET MY CAR BACK.
At this point, you don't want your car back! I sure as heck don't want to be driving mine. not even if there's a 1% chance. That's already too high esp since my 6 year old rides with me everyday. It's a low percentage, but. I am NOT ok with that when my kid gets involved into the mix.
Old 5/29/15, 06:25 AM
GT Member

My wife works for a mass tort law firm and she told me about this a month ago. I was hoping our cars would not be affected though. I guess I will have to check mine too.
Old 5/29/15, 06:34 AM
GT Member

So my VIN is among the recalled driver side airbag. I called my local dealer, the service guy said that Ford is sending out notifications to owners via first class mail, and at that time dealers will have instructions. As of right now, they are in a holding pattern, like we are.

EDIT: as a side note, is there one fuse for the affected airbag, or will pulling the fuse disable all of them?

Last edited by K.A.I.N; 5/29/15 at 06:35 AM.
Old 5/29/15, 06:59 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeMidnight
Yeah, I just need to find the "official" statement of this recall and basically go down to ford and show them that the initial response of calling back in 6 months, is NOT ok.
Old 5/29/15, 07:44 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
My 2013 GT is NOT on the list. How does that work if all 2010-2014's are affected?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Airbag Recall