2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

5.0 Electrical Issues?

Search this Thread

Old 4/14/15, 10:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 5.0 Electrical Issues?

A few months ago I started getting a "Check Charging System" Message. It would come and go. Then I'd get a red battery icon. Car runs like a champ, this doesn't seem to affect the windows, wipers, convertible top motor, or powering the car on.

The light will randomly go on and off, but recently, especially after going thru the car wash -- my entire instrument panel will flip out -- lights on and off - radio on and off, Bluetooth on and off, climate control on and off -- until it seems to dry out and then it all goes back to normal. And again, this never affects the drivability of the car.

The light hadn't come on for quite some time, and I thought whatever had possessed my car was not miraculously gone - but now what happens is the "Check Charging System" light comes on again, and the entire instrument panel DIES. Nothing.

As I'm turning the car OFF everything tries to come back on, or if I leave the key in the position one notch before starting, everything works fine.

I bought the car brand new, have never had a problem. Went to the dealership the other day and they quickly tested my battery - battery is fine. I'm about to make an appointment for service (warranty has expired, Ford warranties SUCK) and I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar problem. I'm wanting to appear somewhat informed and intelligent so that the service department doesn't try to break my bank.

anyone?
Old 4/14/15, 12:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by JeannieF0613
A few months ago I started getting a "Check Charging System" Message. It would come and go. Then I'd get a red battery icon. Car runs like a champ, this doesn't seem to affect the windows, wipers, convertible top motor, or powering the car on.

The light will randomly go on and off, but recently, especially after going thru the car wash -- my entire instrument panel will flip out -- lights on and off - radio on and off, Bluetooth on and off, climate control on and off -- until it seems to dry out and then it all goes back to normal. And again, this never affects the drivability of the car.

The light hadn't come on for quite some time, and I thought whatever had possessed my car was not miraculously gone - but now what happens is the "Check Charging System" light comes on again, and the entire instrument panel DIES. Nothing.

As I'm turning the car OFF everything tries to come back on, or if I leave the key in the position one notch before starting, everything works fine.

I bought the car brand new, have never had a problem. Went to the dealership the other day and they quickly tested my battery - battery is fine. I'm about to make an appointment for service (warranty has expired, Ford warranties SUCK) and I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar problem. I'm wanting to appear somewhat informed and intelligent so that the service department doesn't try to break my bank.

anyone?
The duration of this problem is what is strange. I had somewhat similar problems on my old 05 right before the alternator took a dump. My first thought would be a short/ loose wire somewhere in your harness. Possibly water getting in to a circuit somewhere? I would start with checking the wires from alternator and anything related to the charging system and instrument panel. Does anything look loose/damaged/corroded at the large cluster on the positive battery terminal?
Old 4/14/15, 12:21 PM
Cobra Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
what if its water getting into the computer and messing things up? especially after car wash from what you're saying
Old 4/14/15, 01:43 PM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

anyone?
Hello JeannieF0613,

Welcome to the forum! My name is Deysha and I agree you should bringing it in to your dealer and getting it checked out. Also, be sure to speak with your service manager about this. He is in the best position to ensure a proper diagnosis, and will be able to provide available options and/or coverage for any work needed.

Also, remember most paid repairs done at a Ford Dealer come with a 24 months/unlimited miles warranty. You can schedule an appointment online here. Have a good one!

Deysha
Old 4/15/15, 03:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bringing it into the dealer tonight to have diagnostics run, praying for a quick/easy/inexpensive fix!!!
Old 4/15/15, 08:35 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had this problem with my 05 sometimes, ended up being the alternator.
Old 4/16/15, 07:32 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Bringing it into the dealer tonight to have diagnostics run, praying for a quick/easy/inexpensive fix!!!
Great! Let me know what they say, JeannieF0613.

Deysha