Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2014 Revision MGW Shifter

Old 5/2/14, 01:52 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Going from my '05 to the '13, the shifter was SO much better! The '05 has tons of slop and I understood why people changed out their shifters!

On the '13, mine's already pretty good and haven't had any problems with it. That being said, after watching the install video, I think I'll probably get one at some point... It takes the 'good' shifter and (like Zto5 said) makes it 'better'! Also like Zto5 said, I have yet to hear of anyone who *didn't* like the swap!
Old 5/3/14, 04:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TheDivaDanielle
Looking af my personal Mustang Build... guess what's next? This. No idea how I've gone 32k on the stock shifter.

Just need to decide if I with minimal tools can handle it, or I can find someone awesome in the DMV area to install it for me.

Narph, do you do house calls?
Did you do the install or did you have someone in the dmv do it for you? I'm in Crofton, MD and will be looking at getting the mgw installed done on a 2014 soon.
Old 5/3/14, 07:23 PM
Cobra Member

If you aren't comfortable doing it yourself, a shop could do it for you, about 3 hours labor is a fair estimate. There's nothing complex at all about this upgrade.
Old 6/7/14, 01:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Hey MGW fans,

I have a 2014 GT 400A. If I want the MGW with the Boss shift **** (maybe the 401A instead, haven't fully decided), my understanding is I need:

- The MGW shifter with the FINE threads
- The 401A/Boss alcantara shift boot
- The 401A/Boss ****

First question: Did I get this right? Anything else?
Second question: Where to buy the MGW shifter? Apparently you can only get coarse threads from MGW (or at least the one they sell isn't compatible with the Boss shift ****)

Thanks in advance!
Old 6/7/14, 01:53 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The new revised shifter comes with the stock fine threads, 12mm X 1.25 (they really should revise the website). You've got everything else correct.

Originally Posted by berzerk_1980
Hey MGW fans,

I have a 2014 GT 400A. If I want the MGW with the Boss shift **** (maybe the 401A instead, haven't fully decided), my understanding is I need:

- The MGW shifter with the FINE threads
- The 401A/Boss alcantara shift boot
- The 401A/Boss ****

First question: Did I get this right? Anything else?
Second question: Where to buy the MGW shifter? Apparently you can only get coarse threads from MGW (or at least the one they sell isn't compatible with the Boss shift ****)

Thanks in advance!
Old 7/30/14, 02:53 PM
Bullitt Member

For those who may be interested in purchasing one of these 2011-2014 Mustang GT/Boss and V6 MGW short throw MT-82 transmission shifters, I have decided to sell my uninstalled unit purchased directly from MGW 7 months ago. Just did not get around to installing the shifter.

The shank threads were ordered to accept the Original Equipment Ford Boss ball. Will sell the unit for $330. PM me if you are interested. Current delivered price on this shifter is slightly over $400.
Attached Thumbnails 2014 Revision MGW Shifter-dscn1729.jpg  
Old 7/30/14, 03:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by P0 Corsa
For those who may be interested in purchasing one of these 2011-2014 Mustang GT/Boss and V6 MGW short throw MT-82 transmission shifters, I have decided to sell my uninstalled unit purchased directly from MGW 7 months ago. Just did not get around to installing the shifter.

The shank threads were ordered to accept the Original Equipment Ford Boss ball. Will sell the unit for $330. PM me if you are interested. Current delivered price on this shifter is slightly over $400.
Is this the "2014 revised" shifter? Can anyone summarize what the difference is between the 2014 and prior versions?
Old 7/30/14, 03:09 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
For those who may be interested in purchasing one of these 2011-2014 Mustang GT/Boss and V6 MGW short throw MT-82 transmission shifters, I have decided to sell my uninstalled unit purchased directly from MGW 7 months ago. Just did not get around to installing the shifter. The shank threads were ordered to accept the Original Equipment Ford Boss ball. Will sell the unit for $330. PM me if you are interested. Current delivered price on this shifter is slightly over $400.

Why not still take the time to install it? You're still vastly improving your shifter. Unless you plan on selling the car.

Last edited by FromZto5; 7/30/14 at 03:54 PM.
Old 7/30/14, 03:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

FromZto5, is that the only difference?

Edit: grammarz
Old 7/31/14, 06:19 AM
Bullitt Member

Is this the "2014 revised" shifter? Can anyone summarize what the difference is between the 2014 and prior versions?
Good question. berzerk_1980, this MGW unit is a very late (December) 2013 version shifter. The differences cited by MGW for the design change are:

1) Revised upper isolator due to customer feedback. Not sure what the "upper isolator" actually is, however there is a "rear" isolator in which MGW offers in the kit different rubber stiffness bushings (street or race). This isolator is the same with both designs.

2) Redesigned lower box which enables the customer the ability to service the box bushings without removing the shifter from the car.

3) New design enables the re-use of the OEM rubber inner dust boot thus lowering the cost of the shifter.

4) MGW states the new design "provides even greater support and precision to the linkage arm coming from the transmission". The plastic bushings located at the front and rear of the upper box appear to have been lengthened approximately 0.2" so maybe this is what they are describing.

Owners whom I have talked to regarding this (2013) shifter design rave what a difference it makes. I doubt you could tell any difference in shifting smoothness between the two. Both MGW designs are certainly significantly smoother and more precise than the Ford OE MT-82 shifter.
Old 7/31/14, 06:31 AM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
I have posted this question in several other threads but no real answers. So here it goes. I have a late 2014 Gt track car with the 401a interior. For the life of me I am trying to find out what is really wrong with the shifting in these cars? Ford says it has the fix for 2015 using the same trans. They say it is not the shifter and on my car I am sure it is not either. The shifter is firm, has positive shifts every time. Never missed a gear and the return to center is spot on. It has no NVH. The problem I see is the first 20 minutes of driving it is notchy. After that it is as smooth as butter. SO I am not sure if Ford did anything to the latter cars. I can not imagine another shifter being better than what I have. I was looking at be Brackets and Shifters like the Hurst and MGW as well as the Steeda unit/ Ford Racing but after it warms up it is perfect. Any Ideas? Have anyone seen the Ford Fix?

Last edited by Jazzman442; 7/31/14 at 06:34 AM.
Old 7/31/14, 06:52 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
FromZto5, is that the only difference? Edit: grammarz
Corsa answered it above... Thanks corsa.
Old 7/31/14, 07:14 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
For those who may be interested in purchasing one of these 2011-2014 Mustang GT/Boss and V6 MGW short throw MT-82 transmission shifters, I have decided to sell my uninstalled unit purchased directly from MGW 7 months ago. Just did not get around to installing the shifter. The shank threads were ordered to accept the Original Equipment Ford Boss ball. Will sell the unit for $330. PM me if you are interested. Current delivered price on this shifter is slightly over $400.
PM sent! I call dibs!
Old 7/31/14, 08:46 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Jazzman442
I have posted this question in several other threads but no real answers. So here it goes. I have a late 2014 Gt track car with the 401a interior. For the life of me I am trying to find out what is really wrong with the shifting in these cars?
I think it's murky because nothing is "wrong" with the OEM shifter. Many have the opinion that the OEM shifter is not up to the quality standards they'd expect from a car in this price range. But quality is subjective. I think many people (non-enthusiasts) may find the soft shifting of the OEM bracket preferable for example. Quiet mufflers are another example.

But I think the other factor is the early 2012 and 2013s may have had a legitimate problem which was felt in the shifter but was finally traced by Ford to a manufacturing limitation (the weld splatter deal) and addressed sometime in 2013. While this was driving everyone crazy they tried everything to fix it and, in the process, started a bunch of threads saying how awesome the MGW shifter is.

I have an S2000, and even though it's slow, the shifter is world class. Maybe people want their Mustang to shift like my S2000. By the way, that car shifts notchy for the first 20 minutes too.
Old 7/31/14, 08:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

Good question. berzerk_1980, this MGW unit is a very late (December) 2013 version shifter. The differences cited by MGW for the design change are:

1) Revised upper isolator due to customer feedback. Not sure what the "upper isolator" actually is, however there is a "rear" isolator in which MGW offers in the kit different rubber stiffness bushings (street or race). This isolator is the same with both designs.

2) Redesigned lower box which enables the customer the ability to service the box bushings without removing the shifter from the car.

3) New design enables the re-use of the OEM rubber inner dust boot thus lowering the cost of the shifter.

4) MGW states the new design "provides even greater support and precision to the linkage arm coming from the transmission". The plastic bushings located at the front and rear of the upper box appear to have been lengthened approximately 0.2" so maybe this is what they are describing.

Owners whom I have talked to regarding this (2013) shifter design rave what a difference it makes. I doubt you could tell any difference in shifting smoothness between the two. Both MGW designs are certainly significantly smoother and more precise than the Ford OE MT-82 shifter.
Corsa, thanks for the detailed response. I suppose I missed out to laserred, which is cool.

I can't tell from your response when the design change went into effect. Is laserred getting these features?

Where did you get this info by the way? Maybe I can stop asking questions and read for myself.
Old 7/31/14, 09:40 AM

...I have an S2000, and even though it's slow, the shifter is world class. Maybe people want their Mustang to shift like my S2000. By the way, that car shifts notchy for the first 20 minutes too.
I think you put your finger on it, berzerk. From my experience in lots of Hondas and BMWs, S2000, CRX, Miata, Corvettes, Probe GT and Toyotas, I never thought twice about making a redline shift. It's just never been an issue. Bam...bam...bam. I'm not saying almost every other guy isn't knocking off perfect 0-60s and quarter miles in their sleep but for me, in my '14 GT, with about 4000 miles, it's like I'm doing a very fast hunt & peck. For a brief instant I have no idea if I'm going to find the right gear. And it does make me wonder why it was so much more predictable/accurate in all the other vehicles I've owned.

The MGW shifter is first on my list of major mods and hopefully it will make shifting feel as precise as I'm used to.
Old 7/31/14, 09:49 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by GT_FlyBy
I think you put your finger on it, berzerk. From my experience in lots of Hondas and BMWs, S2000, CRX, Miata, Corvettes, Probe GT and Toyotas, I never thought twice about making a redline shift. It's just never been an issue. Bam...bam...bam. I'm not saying almost every other guy isn't knocking off perfect 0-60s and quarter miles in their sleep but for me, in my '14 GT, with about 4000 miles, it's like I'm doing a very fast hunt & peck. For a brief instant I have no idea if I'm going to find the right gear. And it does make me wonder why it was so much more predictable/accurate in all the other vehicles I've owned. The MGW shifter is first on my list of major mods and hopefully it will make shifting feel as precise as I'm used to.
This is exactly how I feel. Actually until the first 1000 miles I was perfect with the shifter. Maybe because I was babying it a bit, but not it's sloppy. Not TERRIBLY sloppy, but sloppy nonetheless. I came from a GT with T56 swap and MGW on that. Going from that to this is...not the best. I have been pretty accurate with the shifter now that I've adapted to its nuances, but I still don't trust it. I can't now feel the twist of the transmission/shifter under full tilt, just as I'm about to go for 3rd or 4th. I can picture the movement in my head as I'm reaching for the next gear, and it's not a direct shot - as it should be.
Old 7/31/14, 11:48 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by laserred38

This is exactly how I feel. Actually until the first 1000 miles I was perfect with the shifter. Maybe because I was babying it a bit, but not it's sloppy. Not TERRIBLY sloppy, but sloppy nonetheless. I came from a GT with T56 swap and MGW on that. Going from that to this is...not the best. I have been pretty accurate with the shifter now that I've adapted to its nuances, but I still don't trust it. I can't now feel the twist of the transmission/shifter under full tilt, just as I'm about to go for 3rd or 4th. I can picture the movement in my head as I'm reaching for the next gear, and it's not a direct shot - as it should be.
I couldn't agree more, especially the feeling of the trans torquing. I can't wait to make the MGW leap!
Old 7/31/14, 11:52 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by pminri
I couldn't agree more, especially the feeling of the trans torquing. I can't wait to make the MGW leap!
I'm glad you could agree because I just realized I had a ton of typos lol. I guess I got my point across though haha!
Old 7/31/14, 01:24 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
I think it's murky because nothing is "wrong" with the OEM shifter. Many have the opinion that the OEM shifter is not up to the quality standards they'd expect from a car in this price range. But quality is subjective. I think many people (non-enthusiasts) may find the soft shifting of the OEM bracket preferable for example. Quiet mufflers are another example.

But I think the other factor is the early 2012 and 2013s may have had a legitimate problem which was felt in the shifter but was finally traced by Ford to a manufacturing limitation (the weld splatter deal) and addressed sometime in 2013. While this was driving everyone crazy they tried everything to fix it and, in the process, started a bunch of threads saying how awesome the MGW shifter is.

I have an S2000, and even though it's slow, the shifter is world class. Maybe people want their Mustang to shift like my S2000. By the way, that car shifts notchy for the first 20 minutes too.
I agree on what you are saying. Since mine is a late 2014. I might never know how bad it was. I have had allot of manual cars and this is by fare one of the better ones. 3 mustangs GT's manual plus others. I really want to know what they changed on the 2015 selector rod. Well if anything save me from buying a new shifter. Does anyone have a late 2014 with any issues?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2014 Revision MGW Shifter