Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2013 Mustang with SelectShift Question

Old 4/20/12, 10:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, the car can be driven in S without using +/- and there is some difference in rev compared to normal D mode shift.

However, once you press + or - in S mode, the transmission will shift according to your input, i.e. it won't go back to automatic S mode where you don't have to do any shifting. While you can shift from D to S during driving and subsequently change gears with +/-, I have not tried shifting from S to D while driving (only with complete stop).

Once you are in D and if you shift to S without pressing +/-, no user input is required for shifting of gears.

I hope I answered your question(s). There may be other ways to shift, but I haven't bothered to look at the manual so far.

Last edited by ry1980; 4/20/12 at 10:41 AM.
Old 4/20/12, 10:41 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by ry1980
Yes, the car can be driven in S without using +/- and there is some difference in rev compared to normal D mode shift.

However, once you press + or - in S mode, the transmission will shift according to your input, i.e. it won't go back to automatic S mode where you don't have to do any shifting. While you can shift from D to S while driving and subsequently change gears with +/-, I have not tried shifting from S to D while driving (only with complete stop).

Once you are in D and if you shift to S without pressing +/-, no user input is required for shifting of gears.

I hope I answered your question(s). There may be other ways to shift, but I haven't bothered to look at the manual so far.
Ok, yea that cleared it up. So shifting the S won't actually turn on the "manual-mode" until you shift with +/- at least once.
Old 4/20/12, 12:35 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jmillz
Ok, yea that cleared it up. So shifting the S won't actually turn on the "manual-mode" until you shift with +/- at least once.
^ exactly, and you can go between D (drive) & S (sprot-shift) any time, even while moving, but once you press +/- in S it becomes select-shift & to get back to sport-shift you have to put it in D then back to S..
ok got all that

Sport-shift is an agressive fully automatic mode that holds gears till much higher rpm's, down shifts like crazy, and locks out OD
Old 4/20/12, 12:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by cinque35
Sport-shift is an agressive fully automatic mode that holds gears till much higher rpm's, down shifts like crazy, and locks out OD
That sounds like a slightly more aggressive version of the "hill-holder" mode on the 2011 I have.

The two times I've done track days in this one, it was just easier/better to leave it in 3rd for the whole session.
Old 4/20/12, 02:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks a lot for the breakdown, one part confuses me though. Everyone keeps talking about how you can put it in S mode and it simply makes the automatic shifting sportier, which is very cool. That means you can use this mode WITHOUT using the +/- on the select shift? If so, and you also use the S mode for the select-shifting, how does the car know whether you want the sportier automatic mode, or you actually want to do the shifting? Since they said the car won't automatically upshift when in manual mode, I don't see how the modes could be the same for both?
I haven't tried the s mode without shifting it myself. It appears though that once you enter s mode and either toggle up or down on the switch that will change to manual mode
Old 4/24/12, 11:56 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by cinque35
^ exactly, and you can go between D (drive) & S (sprot-shift) any time, even while moving, but once you press +/- in S it becomes select-shift & to get back to sport-shift you have to put it in D then back to S..
ok got all that

thank you for the information i didnt know it still shifts for you as long as you dont touch the +/- in S. I sorta figured it out because if ur in 6th and go into S it will downshift and that always confused me.
Old 4/25/12, 09:22 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by RiceEatin2000GT
thank you for the information i didnt know it still shifts for you as long as you dont touch the +/- in S. I sorta figured it out because if ur in 6th and go into S it will downshift and that always confused me.
^ lol same thing, when i put it in S it would drop took me 2 weeks to realize there were two S modes..
and i had read about it a few months ago too and completely forgot.
love the auto sport-shift mode. use it all the time on side streets... most fun you'll have picking up chinese food
Old 4/25/12, 12:55 PM

Now that I have played with auto S mode a lot more in last week, I must say I really like it.
Old 4/25/12, 10:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Same here, S mode is so much fun. I've been using it pretty much everywhere other than the highway for the past few days. I'm curious about the MPG degradation though.
Old 4/26/12, 07:09 AM
Bullitt Member

Same here, S mode is so much fun. I've been using it pretty much everywhere other than the highway for the past few days. I'm curious about the MPG degradation though.
O jeez, don't mention MPGs around here, you'll be burned at the stake for that

Old 4/26/12, 09:26 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by grabberblue 5.0
O jeez, don't mention MPGs around here, you'll be burned at the stake for that

haha. I was just saying I wonder how much less you actually get. Not that I would or wouldn't use it BECAUSE of receiving less MPG. My interest was related to how much harder it makes the engine work related to gas mileage, rather than how much money it saves/costs.
Old 5/28/12, 07:42 PM
GT Member

No one has mentioned if S mode is connected to advance trac or not. Do I have to push the traction button twice AND go into S mode to get the benefits of both? (lax nannies and better shifting) Just curious

Last edited by Ghost.223; 5/28/12 at 07:43 PM.
Old 5/29/12, 12:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Good conversation guys…and thanks for the valuable information. I too bought a ’13 GT with the Auto. Thanks for the concise run down on how shift modes work. I was in the process of ferreting my way through this over the weekend and was a little confused as to why after putting it in sport mode it shifted for me without prompting. Now it makes sense!
In my opinion the 6R80 is no sell out compared to the manual tranny. Each excels in areas where the other does not. Overall the auto offers the best of both worlds. There are few people with enough skill to shift quicker and more accurately than the 6R80 can and I will stand by that statement. The durability of the auto could be a question mark in an all out long distance road race on a closed course compared to the manual. In the end I will not come close to surpassing its maximum potential.
John
Old 10/3/12, 09:26 AM

Selectshift

Big Bump

I have had my 2013 V6 Auto for a couple of weeks, and I am very glad they added the selectshift. I played with a similar system on my wife's 2012 Sonata 2.0T (same engine as a 2013 base Genesis Coupe), and the paddles are nice, but the Ford system is better in most ways.

I like that Ford's selectshift lets you ride the RPM's as high as you want and that it rev matches downshifts automatically which the Hyundai does not appear to do. It also downshifts automatically when coming to a stop which is like the Hyundai. It is also quick enough IMHO in spite of the complaints I have seen. I think it makes the auto much more fun and usable overall than if I didn't have it. I use it to ride RPM's higher than auto mode, to downshift for an uphill boost on the highway or for engine breaking on windy mountain roads downhill, and I like to use it to stop the auto from pursuing higher gears in stop and go traffic (which is sadly where I drive most of the time).

I do wish there was a button push to go back to S or D when you are done using the manual shifting instead of having to shift back to D every time. It would be really nice if they could provide the smoothness of OD with my foot off the gas in conjunction with the manual mode, but I don't know if that is feasible.

I haven't really pushed the auto sport mode that much, so I can't speak to how it changes things other than to say its lack of OD is nice for milder twisty grades.
Old 10/20/12, 08:38 AM
Team Mustang Source

There are times when I wish I had an automatic. Not to mention my brother beating up on me asking why didn't you get an automatic.
Old 7/3/13, 11:53 AM

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but:

Two months ago, after about a 6 week wait from ordering it, I took delivery of my '14 black/black GT Premium with the 6R80 SelectShift (among other options, including the Brembos, the leather Recaro seats, the GPS/NAV package, the Shaker 1000 sound system, the GT5 scoops/gills/spoiler accessory package, remote start, etc.). I have about 4,600 miles on it already and I absolutely love it. The 'S' mode *without* manually shifting is, by far, my favorite for anything that's not on the expressway. Manual (button) shifting does occur, but only when needed.

I traded a nearly identical 2012 GT Premium with the 6-speed manual (black/black) with only 13,000 miles on it in on the '14.

I love/loved BOTH cars, but 10 months ago, an azzhole in a POS Buick ran me down (as a pedestrian) at 70 MPH and I instantly lost my left leg above the knee. I came to the obvious conclusion that I could no longer drive a manual trans with the same feeling of security and functionality as I could pre-accident.

So any moron who tries to tell me that auto trans are only for wimps who can't drive manuals will get my (new) computer-controlled bionic leg and foot crammed up their ****!

SolRyan, you never came back to finish the thread. Did you get your car?
Old 7/3/13, 10:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by roadpilot
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but:

Two months ago, after about a 6 week wait from ordering it, I took delivery of my '14 black/black GT Premium with the 6R80 SelectShift (among other options, including the Brembos, the leather Recaro seats, the GPS/NAV package, the Shaker 1000 sound system, the GT5 scoops/gills/spoiler accessory package, remote start, etc.). I have about 4,600 miles on it already and I absolutely love it. The 'S' mode *without* manually shifting is, by far, my favorite for anything that's not on the expressway. Manual (button) shifting does occur, but only when needed.

I traded a nearly identical 2012 GT Premium with the 6-speed manual (black/black) with only 13,000 miles on it in on the '14.

I love/loved BOTH cars, but 10 months ago, an azzhole in a POS Buick ran me down (as a pedestrian) at 70 MPH and I instantly lost my left leg above the knee. I came to the obvious conclusion that I could no longer drive a manual trans with the same feeling of security and functionality as I could pre-accident.

So any moron who tries to tell me that auto trans are only for wimps who can't drive manuals will get my (new) computer-controlled bionic leg and foot crammed up their ****!

SolRyan, you never came back to finish the thread. Did you get your car?
I'm sorry to hear that, that's gotta be hard to adjust to, let alone the anger from others stupidity. I hope your recovery goes well, physically and mentally.

I had a 2012 auto GT without select shift and traded it in for a 2014 auto as well. This setup runs pretty good, and I love to manual shift the auto as well, it does a little rev matching on downshifts, which was unexpected. BTW, these autos are a blast at the drag strip, super consistent and easy to launch.
Old 7/3/13, 11:24 PM
Cobra Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
We recently went on a road trip with our old Honda S2000 friends down the Washington, Oregon, and California coasts to Santa Rosa. We took Hwy 1 down through Fort Bragg and that is one twisty road. I found that my Mustang could stay right with the S2000s and the SelectShift really helped. On the way through the most twisty areas I shifted into second and left it there.

I routinely use SelectShift when I have a longer uphill to cover and let if shift for me the rest of the time. I'm delighted with my choice. I'm old enough and wise enough to ignore people who attempt to ridicule me for driving an automatic. I get to shift when I want to but don't have to shift when I don't want to. I see that as the best of both worlds.
Old 7/5/13, 07:43 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
The only improvement I would have like to see with the selectshift would be to show the gear the car is in on the dash when the car is put in S (sport mode) rather than only when you shift the car. Would be nice to see what gear it is before you decide to take over and down or up shift manually. I have had a few instances where I downshifted too low right as the car already downshifted to 2nd when slowing down for a turn. I use mine all the time for spirited local driving.

Last edited by MADSCOTSMAN; 7/5/13 at 07:45 AM.
Old 7/29/13, 09:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

Hello, sorry if this thread is too old to still post in, but i thought it better than starting a new one

I have a few questions about the select shift. The only experience i have in manual shifting is with motorcycles. So im used to letting go of the throttle when im pulling in he clutch, then shifting, then getting on it again as i release the clutch. Now i know theres no clutch i need to press with thr select shift, but when i shift do i still need to let go of the throttle? Or can i just keep my foot on the gas pedal and shift up?

Also whats a good rpm range to shift up or down? On my bike it was like between 5500 to 8500.. I dont know with this car tho. Seems like maybe between 1500 to idk. On auto it always shifts at 2000.. Whats a good time to shift up?

And im curious is it is possible to get better gas mileage if you shift yourself? Im guessing no but im just wondering. I drive a lot, A LOT of stop and go traffic so im also wondering if shifting myself would help or make things worse

Thanks!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2013 Mustang with SelectShift Question