Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2011 Mustang Paint Blistering

Search this Thread

Old 4/6/15, 09:06 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MRGTX
Wellp...add my 2011 to the club. I had a tiny blister underneath the hood that has grown a bit but the new one on the leading edge is the one that ruined my day.

It's about 1/4" in diameter now.

Car has fewer than 22,000 miles on it...but it was purchased in August of 2010...always garaged, never driven in snow/salt, etc

Am I totally out of luck or has Ford helped people outside of warranty?

I had paint peeling from my 2011 hood while the car was still in warranty. I was told that only rust would be covered, and this didn't qualify. About 2 weeks ago, I took the car to the dealer for a trade-in appraisal, and they're knocking some value off the car due to rust on the hood. The area looks unchanged from the time I was told there was no rust. I'm getting screwed either way by this hood. Hope you do better, but don't hold your breath.
Old 4/6/15, 01:22 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by MRGTX
Wellp...add my 2011 to the club. I had a tiny blister underneath the hood that has grown a bit but the new one on the leading edge is the one that ruined my day.

It's about 1/4" in diameter now.

Car has fewer than 22,000 miles on it...but it was purchased in August of 2010...always garaged, never driven in snow/salt, etc

Am I totally out of luck or has Ford helped people outside of warranty?

My 2007 was out of warranty and Ford put a new hood on it. It all depends on the Dealer.
Old 4/15/15, 12:55 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by FromZto5
I agree. I actually like this hood. I need to ask my painter how much to get it in kona. I might do a kona clear bend so you can see the CF grain.
I like it too, especially since Cervini's offers it painted on both sides for $650 extra. Anybody have experience with their pre-painted hoods? I think that's my favorite if the bubbling on my hood makes it to the topside instead of just the underside like it is now.
Old 4/16/15, 06:26 AM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I recently took off my underhood liner to install my CF hood vents, and found 0 bubbling. All the seems looked perfect. In fact they looked better than the seams that the hoodliner doesn't cover where the sealer either didn't make it into the seams properly or squirted out when the hood was crimped.
Old 4/16/15, 03:03 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
I recently got a quote from my beloved shop/painter. It sounds like if I repaint the oem hood if I ever get the bubbling, it will be under 500 or so. But to do a whole new aftermarket fiberglass hood, both sides, it will be around 800 or so.

At least I have options.
Old 4/18/15, 12:22 PM
GT Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Brought mine to the dealer, service guy had never heard of this issue on the Mustang or even the F150. He thought the bubbling was just some buildup from the paint process. He suggested a body shop look at it.
I am going to bring it to a larger dealer with an on site body shop and see what they say. Until then I am resisting the urge to apply my Lemans stripes.
Old 4/20/15, 09:35 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
^ so your dealer is mum on covering your paint issues under warranty?
Old 4/21/15, 12:16 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by backin15
Brought mine to the dealer, service guy had never heard of this issue on the Mustang or even the F150. He thought the bubbling was just some buildup from the paint process. He suggested a body shop look at it.
I am going to bring it to a larger dealer with an on site body shop and see what they say. Until then I am resisting the urge to apply my Lemans stripes.
That doesn't surprise me - service guys seem to rarely know anything about body issues/work. My dealer is a massive one here in KC and they have their own on-site body shop. When I took my car in initially, the service guy said he'd never heard of the problem either but then the body shop manager told me he sees it constantly on Mustang/F-150 hoods and Expedition tailgates.
Old 4/28/15, 05:20 PM
GT Member

So if I ignore it will it just grow like a big zit? My bubbling is very minor and I hate to have it repainted. Candy red may be hard to match. Are we talking 10 years to grow from the seam to the lip or will it happen in a couple years?
Old 4/28/15, 06:02 PM
GT Member

In my case the underside was quite bad. It did creep up onto the front in one spot. Just a few months later I noticed another spot on the front lip.
Old 4/29/15, 07:19 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
So if I ignore it will it just grow like a big zit? My bubbling is very minor and I hate to have it repainted. Candy red may be hard to match. Are we talking 10 years to grow from the seam to the lip or will it happen in a couple years?
I recommend you get it taken care as soon as possible, backin15. Let me know when/if you bring it in and what they say. Also, a professional paint technician will follow the paint manufacturer’s guidelines for application of the primer, basecoat and top (clear) coat. Following the paint manufacturer’s guidelines will ensure a good paint color match.

Deysha
Old 4/29/15, 08:17 AM
Bullitt Member

I had my hood painted twice under warranty...it WILL come back within a year GUARANTEED...only solution is an aftermarket fiberglass/carbon fiber hood...
Old 4/29/15, 08:23 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by magnido45
I had my hood painted twice under warranty...it WILL come back within a year GUARANTEED...only solution is an aftermarket fiberglass/carbon fiber hood...

My hood is going on about a year now since the fix. It still looks great. I'm not saying you are wrong but I think a good shop can fix it for good. I will let you guys know if it pops back.
Old 4/29/15, 11:06 AM
GT Member

Do you think if a body shop took a new hood and seam sealed all around, would it keep the issue from starting? Is it that the hood skin is aluminum but the frame/inner structure is steel and it's right at the point of contact? Or was it something in the manufacturing process (the stamping die) that left the contaminants on the alum? Is it that they didn't clean the alum well enough before painting? If it's in the stamping process, there probably is no hope as all will be like this right were seamed together. If its that they didn't apply good or appropriate amounts of seam sealer or was not cleaned properly, I would think a good repair shop could update/upgrade it and would hopefully keep the issue at under control.

Alum has been painted by many with success for years...what's with Fords process that is subar?

My brother in laws company repairs alum boats and they are constantly in water/harsh conditions and I don't see paint blistering/pealing off on them. Something that Ford did in the manufacturing process between stamping, sealing and painting had some sort of snafu.
Old 4/29/15, 05:32 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by FordService
I recommend you get it taken care as soon as possible, backin15. Let me know when/if you bring it in and what they say. Also, a professional paint technician will follow the paint manufacturer’s guidelines for application of the primer, basecoat and top (clear) coat. Following the paint manufacturer’s guidelines will ensure a good paint color match.

Deysha

Thanks, Deysha. I need to try to find time to get it to the dealer, they want me to bring it in between 8 and 4 M-F and I work 8 - 4:30 M-F.
Old 4/30/15, 06:13 AM

Thanks, Deysha. I need to try to find time to get it to the dealer, they want me to bring it in between 8 and 4 M-F and I work 8 - 4:30 M-F.
Do they have shuttle service or loaners, backin15? They may be able to bring you to work and pick you up. Speak to your service manager.

Deysha
Old 4/30/15, 08:18 PM
GT Member

So I was looking at some dealers on the web trying to find one nearby with a body shop and some evening or Saturday hours. One had a webchat so I asked if they had a body shop and were familiar with the paint problem on the aluminum body panels. The reply was someone would have to contact me. A few hours later I received an email response asking me to bring it in and they would have a look at my paint issue. I sent a nice detailed reply asking if they were familiar with the corrosion issue on the Mustang hood and trunk seams and asked if they had an onsite body shop. I received a one word response - "No". Not sure if that means they don't know about the issue or they don't have a body shop, but with customer service like that I won't be going there any time soon!
Old 5/1/15, 10:57 AM
GT Member

I wonder if an independent body shop can do repairs under Ford warranty? Deysha do you know? I know a particular body shop in St Paul MN (Raymond Auto Body) that is certified to do OEM work on BMW, Mercedes and Audi, and is really the only body shop that I have ever used and sent family to all with better than original results.

If you could have them do the work, I believe they're the best in the Twin Cities.

http://raymondautobody.com
Old 5/1/15, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Turbo302
I wonder if an independent body shop can do repairs under Ford warranty? Deysha do you know? I know a particular body shop in St Paul MN (Raymond Auto Body) that is certified to do OEM work on BMW, Mercedes and Audi, and is really the only body shop that I have ever used and sent family to all with better than original results.

If you could have them do the work, I believe they're the best in the Twin Cities.

http://raymondautobody.com
A lot of Ford Dealerships use specific independent body shops, Turbo302. They will have to sublet the work out to them in order for them to cover it. You cannot pick your own.

Deysha
Old 5/1/15, 07:44 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Turbo302
Do you think if a body shop took a new hood and seam sealed all around, would it keep the issue from starting? Is it that the hood skin is aluminum but the frame/inner structure is steel and it's right at the point of contact? Or was it something in the manufacturing process (the stamping die) that left the contaminants on the alum? Is it that they didn't clean the alum well enough before painting? If it's in the stamping process, there probably is no hope as all will be like this right were seamed together. If its that they didn't apply good or appropriate amounts of seam sealer or was not cleaned properly, I would think a good repair shop could update/upgrade it and would hopefully keep the issue at under control.

Alum has been painted by many with success for years...what's with Fords process that is subar?

My brother in laws company repairs alum boats and they are constantly in water/harsh conditions and I don't see paint blistering/pealing off on them. Something that Ford did in the manufacturing process between stamping, sealing and painting had some sort of snafu.
just a guess/opinion, but, in my thinking, seam sealer has a few advantages:

thickness
adhesion
flexibility

a couple mils of paint has nothing but adhesion- but if film breaks at a sharp edge, adhesion goes away soon as moisture creeps under.

in my opinion, had ford put a perimeter bead around the entire hem (and not completely missed the edge in spots like I pictured on the 2013 boss 302 at the auto show) before paint, it would have:

added resistance to thermal movement via adhesive qualities

added thickness combined with a little flexibility would reduce cracking of paint film in event of ANY shifting

rounded edges would allow better paint adhesion than painting a razor sharp sheared edge- often a serrated/jagged one at that.

filling the lap would minimize 'shadow' that can occur if paint is sprayed at angle not pointing directly into the bottom corner.

smoothing the gap over would minimize contaminaton in very bottom corner of underside hem- even the softest tack rag wiping down wount get to that last couple thousanths of a inside corner of the hem...leaving even a couple thou contaminated, then spraying over with just a couple thou of paint- seems likely to fail to me... if sealed smooth, theres no 'inside corners' to prep/wipe down- and if sealer is applied over that couple thou inaccessible corner, it will still adhere/not crack even if a tiny corner of die lubricant remains ...

but I dont KNOW, just guessing... but think looking closely, trying to figure out logical reasons for all these failures- in the end to me it is just the fact ford dont spend as much time (none) sealing the edges prior to paint like hyundai-others...

think about it- the hyundai is a cheaper car, and they still do it for some reason...i'm sure it aint to **** away money- know what I mean?

Quick Reply: 2011 Mustang Paint Blistering