Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2011 Mustang Paint Blistering

Search this Thread

Old 3/24/15, 06:53 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GTCS 2k9
Plan "B" is an aftermarket hood....if my wife can find one that she likes.... Lol
I considered that. But I really dislike the fiberglass aftermarket hoods. They are way too gaudy IMO. If there was a stock replacement in fiberglass I might consider it, but not if the manufacturer specifies hood pins. I don't even like the fake factory scoop on mine.
Old 3/24/15, 07:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
An update here

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2013...-forward/?_r=0
Judge Allows Suit Over Aluminum Corrosion in Fords to Move Forward

In court documents, Ford denied the allegations and any wrongdoing.

Ford also contended the suit was so lacking in merit that it should be dismissed.

Yea right Ford. We are all just imagining the blistered paint on our cars. The problem with this suit is that it only includes vehicles from 2000 to 2007 when there is clear evidence the problem is ongoing. My 2014 has clear and obvious blistered paint on the hood.
Old 3/24/15, 07:41 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unbelievable!! Yes, there have been a lot of Mustangs that have come off the assembly line, but it's not hard to find that this corrosion problem has affected many of them. This isn't the only Mustang site that has a thread on the corrosion issue.
Old 3/24/15, 08:23 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Originally Posted by 3point7
An update here

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2013...-forward/?_r=0

Yea right Ford. We are all just imagining the blistered paint on our cars. The problem with this suit is that it only includes vehicles from 2000 to 2007 when there is clear evidence the problem is ongoing. My 2014 has clear and obvious blistered paint on the hood.
You do realize that it's not an update if it's from *2013*.
Old 3/24/15, 08:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Yes, I just meant an update to the thread not in general.

Either way the hood corrosion issue is so common that Ford trying to pretend like it's a non issue is just further evidence why nobody in this country should be devoted to or a fan of any corporation regardless of what they sell. They don't give a crap about us and they won't be there when you need them.
Old 3/25/15, 06:02 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by GTCS 2k9
Unbelievable!! Yes, there have been a lot of Mustangs that have come off the assembly line, but it's not hard to find that this corrosion problem has affected many of them. This isn't the only Mustang site that has a thread on the corrosion issue.
look in here at pics from the 2013/2014/2015 auto shows... there was a black one in the 14 album that had blistering already *barely* visible with the hood shut... and look at the closeups of the aluminum 2015 aluminum truck...

a LOT of folks dont think their car is bad, but havent looked closely under the perimeter of the hood, or they would think otherwise... last time I redid the underside of the wifes 07 hood, I took the insulation down, that rough fiberglass edge had rubbed thru the paint about 1/3 of its perimeter, massive bubbling underneath that for some reason had only spread inward.

2013 show
https://www.flickr.com/photos/832321...7649061378994/

2014 show
https://www.flickr.com/photos/832321...7641733917963/

2015 show
https://www.flickr.com/photos/832321...7649015916453/
Old 3/25/15, 09:47 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Originally Posted by 3point7
Yes, I just meant an update to the thread not in general.

Either way the hood corrosion issue is so common that Ford trying to pretend like it's a non issue is just further evidence why nobody in this country should be devoted to or a fan of any corporation regardless of what they sell. They don't give a crap about us and they won't be there when you need them.
1) Ah. Ok, sorry, was confused.

2) Yes. Pretty much.

You can like a product, and be a fan of it (like I am of Mustangs, and mine in particular), but Ford is a big company and would literally eat you if it'd make them money. Just like all 'em.

Sorry, Deysha. It is what it is. We love you though, right, folks?
Old 3/26/15, 05:02 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by houtex
...Sorry, Deysha. It is what it is. We love you though, right, folks?
yep- its not her or any one person at Fords fault, just a oops that has been swept under the rug by a lot of midmanagers is my guess... I still doubt Bill Ford or others at the top realize how lousy these hoods were, or for how long...

Deysha and the other Ford Customer service folks are in my opinion THE best thing Ford has done for actual buyers, ever... the old 'customer service' hotline seriously might have been a tape loop saying 'call your dealer'... at least now Ford buyers kinda have that 'friend at the factory' person to communicate with, and they actually have the clout to escalate things when needed to help a customer... warranties end, folks abuse things/void warranties, you'll never please everyone, but Deysha and her coworkers have sure been a blessing to a lot of frustrated owners, and likely aided in future Ford sales by doing so, its a Win-Win...

so personally "Thank you Deysha" and please dont take my ford hood bashing personally- at the end of the day, we all just want the same thing- for Ford to be the best... part of that will be eventually some shouts from up top are going to have to say 'lets do better guys or I'll find someone else to do it' and things like blow out sparkplugs/broken minivan axles/mustang hood herpes and the folks that signed off on them will all be a thing of the past.
Personally I cant wait to see a new ford at a dealer or auto show with perfect panel fitting- and when I do will gladly praise the 'good job' and pull all my ugly pics and comments offline... till then, I'm still gonna complain and keep stirring the pot, like a crazed mustang fan that had to scrape irreplaceable original factory baked paint that bubbled off of three well cared for pride-and-joy vehicles... it never shoulda happened ten years ago, yet sloppy work is still appearing on brand new Fords- and I am firm in my thinking shoddy sealing was THE main contributing factor in all these hood failures... maybe I'm 1000% wrong and a birdcrap sealant on a new 40,000.00 mustang convertible should be just fine as long as you cant see it with the trunk shut... sorry, I can simply never agree that sloppy is 'good enough', this is a totally simple fix of taking a few seconds of pride in workmanship on the line, and QC smacking folks upside the head if they cant do the job. hyundai does it perfect every single time- I KNOW Ford could too- its just time to push and shove till they step up to todays standards

sorry, there I go again
Attached Thumbnails 2011 Mustang Paint Blistering-vert-seam2.jpg   2011 Mustang Paint Blistering-hyundai3.jpg  

Last edited by ford4v429; 3/26/15 at 05:42 PM.
Old 3/27/15, 07:08 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by houtex
Sorry, Deysha. It is what it is. We love you though, right, folks?
Originally Posted by ford4v429
yep- its not her or any one person at Fords fault, just a oops that has been swept under the rug by a lot of midmanagers is my guess... I still doubt Bill Ford or others at the top realize how lousy these hoods were, or for how long...

Deysha and the other Ford Customer service folks are in my opinion THE best thing Ford has done for actual buyers, ever... the old 'customer service' hotline seriously might have been a tape loop saying 'call your dealer'... at least now Ford buyers kinda have that 'friend at the factory' person to communicate with, and they actually have the clout to escalate things when needed to help a customer... warranties end, folks abuse things/void warranties, you'll never please everyone, but Deysha and her coworkers have sure been a blessing to a lot of frustrated owners, and likely aided in future Ford sales by doing so, its a Win-Win...

so personally "Thank you Deysha" and please dont take my ford hood bashing personally- at the end of the day, we all just want the same thing- for Ford to be the best... part of that will be eventually some shouts from up top are going to have to say 'lets do better guys or I'll find someone else to do it' and things like blow out sparkplugs/broken minivan axles/mustang hood herpes and the folks that signed off on them will all be a thing of the past.
Personally I cant wait to see a new ford at a dealer or auto show with perfect panel fitting- and when I do will gladly praise the 'good job' and pull all my ugly pics and comments offline... till then, I'm still gonna complain and keep stirring the pot, like a crazed mustang fan that had to scrape irreplaceable original factory baked paint that bubbled off of three well cared for pride-and-joy vehicles... it never shoulda happened ten years ago, yet sloppy work is still appearing on brand new Fords- and I am firm in my thinking shoddy sealing was THE main contributing factor in all these hood failures... maybe I'm 1000% wrong and a birdcrap sealant on a new 40,000.00 mustang convertible should be just fine as long as you cant see it with the trunk shut... sorry, I can simply never agree that sloppy is 'good enough', this is a totally simple fix of taking a few seconds of pride in workmanship on the line, and QC smacking folks upside the head if they cant do the job. hyundai does it perfect every single time- I KNOW Ford could too- its just time to push and shove till they step up to todays standards

sorry, there I go again
Thank you for the love and kind words, guys!

Deysha
Old 3/29/15, 03:50 PM
GT Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just checked mine, The hood seems ok except for a line of tiny bubbles along the lip under the front of the hood, not sure if this is corrosion or just marks left from manufacturing. I have some light blistering along the lower trunk seam though. Less than 3,000 miles, always garaged and never exposed to salt. Grrrr...
Old 3/30/15, 07:06 AM
GT Member

My 14:

Name:  b552b02a-02d2-4c63-83f3-d01ace14ee66_zpsrz22oni3.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  376.4 KB

Ford now has a dealer claim in for the hood.
Old 3/30/15, 07:56 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts
Bummer.

I finally got my car back on the road yeasterday. Upon a quick inspection of my hood repair which is not quite a year the fix seems to be holding. Still looking good. This week it's supposed to warm up so I'll give it a wash and a better inspection.
Old 3/30/15, 08:21 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by VidPro
Bummer.

I finally got my car back on the road yeasterday. Upon a quick inspection of my hood repair which is not quite a year the fix seems to be holding. Still looking good. This week it's supposed to warm up so I'll give it a wash and a better inspection.
Look around where they did not fix. Ford had my hood painted on the front lip where the corrosion was. That fix still looks good, but I discovered more along the sides. I had it painted on my dime because my bumper to bumper warranty is over. Luckily, it was contained to just under the hood at this point. It is obviously something that is going to be a continuing issue though. It just keeps growing in different spots.
Old 3/30/15, 08:22 AM
Legacy Tms Member

I'll check the whole hood today if it warms up a bit. I haven't noticed anything but I haven't really been looking either.
Old 3/30/15, 09:01 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by backin15
Just checked mine, The hood seems ok except for a line of tiny bubbles along the lip under the front of the hood, not sure if this is corrosion or just marks left from manufacturing. I have some light blistering along the lower trunk seam though. Less than 3,000 miles, always garaged and never exposed to salt. Grrrr...
Be sure to bring it in to your dealer as soon as possible, backin15. Let me know what they say.

Originally Posted by scott9050
My 14:

Ford now has a dealer claim in for the hood.
Please PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number, scott9050. I want to loop in your customer service manager.

Deysha
Old 3/31/15, 05:43 AM
Legacy Tms Member

This morning I inspected the hood on my car and so far so good. It's not quite a year yet but no sign of a return of the problem. If you see anything it's water marks etc. I haven't had a chance to give it its first wash yet. The extra edge that you might notice is a clear bra.

Old 3/31/15, 12:47 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
luckily, no issues with my current hood. But in actuality, I hope there IS something starting under there, then if it bubbles on top of hood, it's a PERFECT excuse to get my new aftermarket hood
Old 3/31/15, 02:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by FromZto5
luckily, no issues with my current hood. But in actuality, I hope there IS something starting under there, then if it bubbles on top of hood, it's a PERFECT excuse to get my new aftermarket hood
I'm kinda weary of going aftermarket. I had a Tru Fiber on my '00 V6, and it was from ther initial batches of hoods. It was an utter pos. They look a lot better now, but fiberglass hoods require a lot more work to line up right and paint well. I'm hoping my shop does a good job with mine. I'll be stuck with it lol
Old 3/31/15, 02:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good grief, I found this site and liked it while researching the 3.7 vibration at 2500 rpm syndrome. Now I find the "paint issue" on the hood thread...and sure enough walk to the garage and yep, got a little of that one too. I've had tons of cars, countless Mustangs and now all of a sudden I'm spending all my time looking and finding problems with one of all time favorite purchases!. I'm going back to more driving and less web searching! Ride the Iron Pony, just don't look under and between the cracks and let it spin near 2600 rpm. How am I suppose to sleep at night Deysha!

Last edited by jejgt; 3/31/15 at 02:20 PM.
Old 3/31/15, 05:21 PM
GT Member

Sometimes the fitment on some aftermarket hoods isn't perfect. I have seen some fibreglass hoods on some Mustangs and they looked fine to me. I like the Cervini Stalker ll Hood. Cool integrated scoop with vents on the side. Trying to talk my wife into that one.

Quick Reply: 2011 Mustang Paint Blistering