2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

13 gt track pack ghig

Search this Thread

Old 5/21/15, 08:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
13 gt track pack ghig

Juse bought my first mustang! Woo hoo I love it. Came from a 500 whp import. So my question Is I bought the car used with 14k on it the previous owner definitely auto crossed the car, which its a track pack with brembo brakes. I took the brakes apart cause they were squealing noticed they were all rusty and 1 of the brake pad pins was coming out. Brake pads look good rotors have gotten hot but were not warped. The dust seals on the caliper were dry rotted and coming apart. Dealer told me they wouldn't cover them cause the brakes have gotten hot and it's a wear item. It's a track pack car that's what it was built for! I'm a mechanic by trade I'm also ase master certified, I'm not understanding this. Has anyone else had trouble with this. I feel it should be covered, it the caliper seal leaked it's a wear itwm and it's covered....anyone's thoughts.Maybe a Ford rep can explain better
Old 5/21/15, 10:16 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
Welcome. My son is looking for that exact same car.

Brakes are only covered for 12 and 12. If I were you I would get the pads you want and do it your self. That way there is no aggression. The caliper might get replaced.

Try taking it to another dealer. if they balk at it under warranty tell them you ll pay for the pads if they cover the calipers. I'm in Florida so we do not see much rust here.

Good Luck

Last edited by Jazzman442; 5/21/15 at 10:17 PM.
Old 5/22/15, 06:28 AM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Is it the top outside of the rotor that's rusted? I have the same car (in a different colour) an I road course mine. After a day at the track and some rain the rotors look rusted, but fear not. You can just run some sand paper over them and the look like new. I've been very impressed with the Brembo rotors/ calipers. They hold up great.

When you say dust shields are you talking about the rubber seal around the cylinder? Mine are also cracked and a little molten on the edges. I work in the Auto industry and a lot of guys I work with race their cars. From what I hear it is not uncommon for those dust seals to melt completely during track events depending on the vehicle.

What pads were in the Brembo Calipers? If it they are Ferrodo those are stock, otherwise it may be a more aggressive after market race pad. With those squeal is normal.

Congrats on an awesome car! What was your previous car?
Old 5/22/15, 07:25 AM
Bullitt Member

If the dust seals are deteriorated, then the car saw more than just auto-x. One day on a road course will toast those seals. They are not a safety item as they are simply dust seals. Mine have been burned away since the first day on track. It would not be worth my time to replace them after every track event. They are easily rebuild-able though, so if it bothers you, they are service items that can be replaced easy enough.
Old 5/22/15, 07:40 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by JScottGT
If the dust seals are deteriorated, then the car saw more than just auto-x. One day on a road course will toast those seals. They are not a safety item as they are simply dust seals. Mine have been burned away since the first day on track. It would not be worth my time to replace them after every track event. They are easily rebuild-able though, so if it bothers you, they are service items that can be replaced easy enough.
Yup! Track days destroy the seals - especially if the TC is left on or in sport mode... MASSIVE heat on the rear brakes.

I consider rear calipers a wearable item... replaced both of mine earlier this season and I expect I'll need to again next season. I might even have a spare caliper or two laying around...

I wouldn't expect Ford to cover the dust shields.

I would look at replacing them, as I burnt some off early last season and the calipers ended up sticking pretty badly, which is why I replaced. I figured the sticking was at least partially due to built up dust preventing smooth piston motion.

Anyways, enjoy the car and take it to the track! Road course track I mean. They enjoy the workout
Old 5/22/15, 08:48 AM

No the pins for the brake pads and the pads back plate we're rusted, I cleaned em up and put synthetic brake grease on em and the squealing went away. The dust boots are on the outside of each brake caliper piston there are 4 of em. To me they should hold up or be replaced cause that's what keeps the sand and dust from damaging the pistions oring from getting damaged. The previous car I has was a Honda Accord 4dr with a build 2.2 dohc with a 68mm precision turbo on 14 psi 93 fuel. This winter the mustang is gonna get a twin turbo setup
Old 5/22/15, 08:55 AM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Originally Posted by tlakose11
This winter the mustang is gonna get a twin turbo setup
In that case you may want to consider a 6 piston 15" front brake upgrade like the ones on GT500 cars.